Grimm

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
christie1111
11:11

Grimm

#1 Post by christie1111 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:49 am

Starts tonight.

I hope it is good and that a lot of people watch.

My brother is the Key Rigging Grip for the show and I want him to be employed for a while.
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

MarleysGh0st

Re: Grimm

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:59 am

Thanks for the reminder!

For those, like me, who can't recall the promotion about this, here are some details from Wikipedia:
Grimm is an upcoming American fantasy/mystery/crime drama series set to debut on NBC on October 28, 2011.[1] It will air Fridays at 9/8c. The show has been described as "a cop drama—with a twist...a dark and fantastical project about a world in which characters inspired by Grimm's Fairy Tales exist".
It's going on my DVR's schedule! 8)

earendel

#3 Post by earendel » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:51 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:Thanks for the reminder!

For those, like me, who can't recall the promotion about this, here are some details from Wikipedia:
Grimm is an upcoming American fantasy/mystery/crime drama series set to debut on NBC on October 28, 2011.[1] It will air Fridays at 9/8c. The show has been described as "a cop drama—with a twist...a dark and fantastical project about a world in which characters inspired by Grimm's Fairy Tales exist".
Unfortunately it's on opposite "Fringe" and "Extreme Makeover:Home Edition". Both are set to record since elwing wants to watch EM:HE and is usually out and about until after 9PM and I'm on the "lunatic Fringe". I hope that they'll replay the episode, or perhaps I can catch it online.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

tanstaafl2

#4 Post by tanstaafl2 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:14 am

earendel wrote:
Unfortunately it's on opposite "Fringe" and "Extreme Makeover:Home Edition". Both are set to record since elwing wants to watch EM:HE and is usually out and about until after 9PM and I'm on the "lunatic Fringe". I hope that they'll replay the episode, or perhaps I can catch it online.
"Fringe" likely won't be on tonight thanks to the postponement of Game 6 of the World Series to last night and the comeback by the cardiac Cardinals that forces a game 7 tonight.

I think "Fringe" sometimes gets a replay (maybe on Saturdays) but not sure. Since I get both an East coast and West coast feed on the satellite I have a bit more recording flexibility.

In any case "Grimm" will be on my Tivo tonight to get a chance to earn a full time spot. Along with the final season of "Chuck". Stuck with it this long so might as well see it through.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

tlynn78

#5 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:16 am

I have been anxiously awaiting this premiere! I'll be watching, and we'll prolly be DVRing it, as well. Looks intriguing. I enjoyed Once Upon a Time, although it could use some tweaking. Here's hoping Grimm is a smashing success - good luck to your brother.

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

earendel

#6 Post by earendel » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:48 am

tanstaafl2 wrote:
earendel wrote:
"Fringe" likely won't be on tonight thanks to the postponement of Game 6 of the World Series to last night and the comeback by the cardiac Cardinals that forces a game 7 tonight.
By golly you're right! Problem solved. I'll record "Grimm" and watch it tomorrow (right after I watch the recorded premiere of "Once Upon a Time". It'll be interesting to compare the two.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#7 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:21 pm

earendel wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:Thanks for the reminder!

According to my TiVo, Grimm will be rebroadcast by the SyFy Channel.

I was on the fence about it, but the Bored connection is enough to get me to give it a try. I hope it's good. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

christie1111

#8 Post by christie1111 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:33 pm

So what did you think?
Spoiler
It was a little scarier/creepier than I expected. But had touches of humor which lightened it up a bit. Brother1111 called this morning and gave me some inside skoop. Fun to learn some of the stuff about upcoming episodes.

I think it may be a good show for NBC who clearly needs one.
Last edited by christie1111 on Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#9 Post by silvercamaro » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:51 pm

christie1111 wrote:So what did you think?
Spoiler
It was a little scarier/creepier than I expected. But had touches of humor which lightened it up a bit. Brother1111 called this morning and gave me some inside skoop. Fun to learn some of the stuff about upcoming episodes.

I think it may be a good show for NBC who clearly needs on.
I am thrilled that it is showing on Friday nights, which the networks seemed largely to have thrown away in recent years. (No, network TPTB, I do not want to watch recycled 20-20s and Datelines, nor anybody's pseudo-documentary investigations of real crimes that occurred long ago.) I will turn on my set again next Friday.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

MarkBarrett

#10 Post by MarkBarrett » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:02 pm

I watched Grimm yesterday on On Demand. Fringe will still be the first choice on Friday nights. The Grimm debut had enough style to get me to watch again on delay, but Once Upon a Time has more promise for longer success.

earendel

#11 Post by earendel » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:05 pm

I liked it. elwing wondered why there were two shows with similar themes on the air and then mentioned "Whitney" and "New Girl" as being similar also. After watching both shows she decided that they were different enough.

One thing I noticed - in both shows a yellow Volkswagon played a role in the development of the story. How coincidental was that?

Bob Juch

#12 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:14 pm

earendel wrote:One thing I noticed - in both shows a yellow Volkswagon played a role in the development of the story. How coincidental was that?
Probably not at all. I'm sure Volkswagon paid for product placement and supplied the yellow Volkswagon.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

a1mamacat

#13 Post by a1mamacat » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:21 am

MarkBarrett wrote:I watched Grimm yesterday on On Demand. Fringe will still be the first choice on Friday nights. The Grimm debut had enough style to get me to watch again on delay, but Once Upon a Time has more promise for longer success.
I also liked them both, but agree with you that OUaT has more material available. The flashbacks work great for the storyline.
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#14 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:22 am

MarkBarrett wrote:I watched Grimm yesterday on On Demand. Fringe will still be the first choice on Friday nights. The Grimm debut had enough style to get me to watch again on delay, but Once Upon a Time has more promise for longer success.
I, too, will be watching Grimm on one of its rebroadcasts, or if that doesn't work, on the Web site. Fringe will get first-run viewing. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

MarleysGh0st

#15 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:04 am

Grimm was okay and it'll probably remain on my viewing schedule, but it's no Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
Spoiler
So to every generation is born a Grimm (or several) and unlike Slayers, they tend to run in the family? Wouldn't it be a good idea to give the youngsters a hint, before they grow up? Maybe a bit of training, before they start seeing things?

christie1111

#16 Post by christie1111 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:42 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:Grimm was okay and it'll probably remain on my viewing schedule, but it's no Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
Spoiler
So to every generation is born a Grimm (or several) and unlike Slayers, they tend to run in the family? Wouldn't it be a good idea to give the youngsters a hint, before they grow up? Maybe a bit of training, before they start seeing things?

Well, I don't know about the plot or the quality of the storyline, but the electrical work was fabulous!

:lol:

earendel

#17 Post by earendel » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:50 am

christie1111 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:Grimm was okay and it'll probably remain on my viewing schedule, but it's no Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
Spoiler

Well, I don't know about the plot or the quality of the storyline, but the electrical work was fabulous!

I could never understand why Nick didn't turn on the lights in his aunt's trailer when he was looking through her books and stuff.

christie1111

#18 Post by christie1111 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:30 am

earendel wrote:
christie1111 wrote:
Spoiler

I could never understand why Nick didn't turn on the lights in his aunt's trailer when he was looking through her books and stuff.
Funny, I said the same thing to Husband1111. But I think it is more creepy to have the flashlight highlight items a little bit at a time. The you can't be sure if the next item he illuminates isn't a head or something.

And the wife being able to get into the trailer without him hearing her is pretty silly too. Presumably there would not be alot of other noise and the trailer would shift slightly when someone got on.

But then it is a TV show.

silverscreenselect

#19 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:20 am

Both Grimm and Once Upon a Time did very well in the ratings over the weekend. Grimm held up quite well against the World Series finale, but the real test with heavily promoted new shows is the second viewing, this time against CBS' first run episodes. Other heavily hyped new series, like Pan Am and last year's The Event started very well and lost steam quickly because people tired of the concept. Viewership totals on Friday tend to be lower than other nights, so Grimm could hang on a while with solid but not spectacular ratings.

This bodes well for Once Upon a Time, which only lost 7% from the week before despite going up against an (on paper) better Sunday Night Football matchup and the second half of a 60 Minutes episode featuring Bernie Madoff. And since Once is doing much better than what Home Makeover does, it could be around quite a while.

I've been pleasantly surprised by both series, but I question Grimm's legs. Once has a lot of possibilities for Lost-like back story developments, but Grimm could become repetitive very quickly. From the previews at the end, it appears Grimm is going for the big conspiracy story arc as the monsters may have established themselves in positions of power.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

tlynn78

#20 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:32 am

silverscreenselect wrote:Both Grimm and Once Upon a Time did very well in the ratings over the weekend. Grimm held up quite well against the World Series finale, but the real test with heavily promoted new shows is the second viewing, this time against CBS' first run episodes. Other heavily hyped new series, like Pan Am and last year's The Event started very well and lost steam quickly because people tired of the concept. Viewership totals on Friday tend to be lower than other nights, so Grimm could hang on a while with solid but not spectacular ratings.

This bodes well for Once Upon a Time, which only lost 7% from the week before despite going up against an (on paper) better Sunday Night Football matchup and the second half of a 60 Minutes episode featuring Bernie Madoff. And since Once is doing much better than what Home Makeover does, it could be around quite a while.

I've been pleasantly surprised by both series, but I question Grimm's legs. Once has a lot of possibilities for Lost-like back story developments, but Grimm could become repetitive very quickly. From the previews at the end, it appears Grimm is going for the big conspiracy story arc as the monsters may have established themselves in positions of power.

It's funny - I had the opposite impression - OUaT will get old quicker for me than Grimm; it takes itself too seriously. I really appreciated the light-hearted moments in Grimm - a nice balance to the 'grimmer' aspects.

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

MarleysGh0st

#21 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:25 pm

christie1111 wrote:
earendel wrote:I could never understand why Nick didn't turn on the lights in his aunt's trailer when he was looking through her books and stuff.
Funny, I said the same thing to Husband1111. But I think it is more creepy to have the flashlight highlight items a little bit at a time. The you can't be sure if the next item he illuminates isn't a head or something.

And the wife being able to get into the trailer without him hearing her is pretty silly too. Presumably there would not be alot of other noise and the trailer would shift slightly when someone got on.

But then it is a TV show.
It's a magic trailer!

It must be, because it looked much wider on the inside than on the outside. :lol:

ghostjmf

#22 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:33 pm

OK, I get to be the big bad, uh, wolf because I have rarely sat all the way through a worse show. But the electrical work was terrific!!!!!!

I admit I had set my set to tape the Saturday rerun of Prime Suspect, which is reportedly not doing well in ratings but which I like (yes, the misogynism, a big part of the original series, is heavy-handed for today, wish they had gotten it in subtler, still like the show) but it chose to tape Grimm instead last Sat, as that's what the network showed (after an incursion by the local snow report).

I was hoping they would visit different stories from week to week; apparently that's what Once etc, which I haven't seen yet, is for. Don't know how well it does it, either (as in haven't seen it yet either; my backed-up tapes of new shows are full of predictable real-worldy shows, like Person of Interest, which I hoped would be better but which I'm still watching, & Gifted Man, which is actually pretty terrible itself except for the actress playing the dead wife, who is great, & which I don't give much hope for continuation of; far better shows have been yanked by CBS, which can afford to yank. We all agree Unforgettable is a keeper, even with the very draggy "I am standing around watching myself in memory" sequences, right?).

But Grimm looks to be one-notey on the Bloodenbuden, or whatever their name is. The guy fighting off his natural urges with Pilates etc gets great marks for saying re the plural, "its not Bloodenbuds, its Bloodenbuden (or whatever))" with a completely straight face. At least in the show they aired. Out-takes reel on this one ought to be good. Better than the show. And with the same exemplary lighting crew!

I am a huge Fringe fan & am sticking with it. Despite that anything being on Friday is not a good signal for a show's intended life.

MarleysGh0st

#23 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:00 pm

ghostjmf wrote:But Grimm looks to be one-notey on the Bloodenbuden, or whatever their name is. The guy fighting off his natural urges with Pilates etc gets great marks for saying re the plural, "its not Bloodenbuds, its Bloodenbuden (or whatever))" with a completely straight face. At least in the show they aired. Out-takes reel on this one ought to be good. Better than the show. And with the same exemplary lighting crew!
It's Blutbad (pl. Blutbaden). And what makes you think they won't have other fairy tale monsters on different episodes? Sure, the Wieder Blutbad is stuck working with him, as his comic sidekick, but that's because Aunt Marie never took the time to explain the family calling to Nick. He needs somebody who knows the ropes!

christie1111

#24 Post by christie1111 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:33 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
ghostjmf wrote:But Grimm looks to be one-notey on the Bloodenbuden, or whatever their name is. The guy fighting off his natural urges with Pilates etc gets great marks for saying re the plural, "its not Bloodenbuds, its Bloodenbuden (or whatever))" with a completely straight face. At least in the show they aired. Out-takes reel on this one ought to be good. Better than the show. And with the same exemplary lighting crew!
It's Blutbad (pl. Blutbaden). And what makes you think they won't have other fairy tale monsters on different episodes? Sure, the Wieder Blutbad is stuck working with him, as his comic sidekick, but that's because Aunt Marie never took the time to explain the family calling to Nick. He needs somebody who knows the ropes!
There are different fairy tale monsters each week.

silverscreenselect

#25 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:58 pm

christie1111 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
There are different fairy tale monsters each week.
If there's bunches of these blutbaden and they each eat a blond girl in a red jacket once a week or so, you'd think someone would notice.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com