Did Obama make 'apology tour' in Middle East?

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

Did Obama make 'apology tour' in Middle East?

#1 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:36 am

Has President Obama ever gone on an apology tour in the Middle East during which he criticized America while speaking publicly in various nations?

Mitt Romney has long said Mr. Obama did just that. This has been one of the foundational assertions of the Romney campaign: The Massachusetts ex-governor even titled his campaign autobiography “No Apology: The Case for American Greatness.” We bring this up now because Mr. Romney reiterated the charge Monday night during the third and final presidential debate. Does the record really support such a claim?
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/DC-Decoder ... iddle-East
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

Re: Did Obama make 'apology tour' in Middle East?

#2 Post by silvercamaro » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:39 pm

By golly, you're right. He never actually said "apologize" or even "I'm sorry."

So, let's just call it the Groveling Tour, and we're good to go.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

tlynn78

#3 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:44 pm

silvercamaro wrote:By golly, you're right. He never actually said "apologize" or even "I'm sorry."

So, let's just call it the Groveling Tour, and we're good to go.

REC.

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

jarnon

#4 Post by jarnon » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:02 pm

The "apology tour" is in the same category as the $700 billion the Democrats swiped from Medicare: presenting facts about the other side in the worst possible light. Every candidate does it.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

BackInTex

#5 Post by BackInTex » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:06 pm

In a word, "yes".

Next question.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#6 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:18 pm

jarnon wrote:The "apology tour" is in the same category as the $700 billion the Democrats swiped from Medicare: presenting facts about the other side in the worst possible light. Every candidate does it.
I think in these instances the word "facts" is far too charitable to Romney's campaign. These are whoppers. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#7 Post by BackInTex » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:48 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
jarnon wrote:The "apology tour" is in the same category as the $700 billion the Democrats swiped from Medicare: presenting facts about the other side in the worst possible light. Every candidate does it.
I think in these instances the word "facts" is far too charitable to Romney's campaign. These are whoppers. --Bob
1. April 3, 2009: Strasbourg, France

“In America, there’s a failure to appreciate Europe’s leading role in the world. Instead of celebrating your dynamic union and seeking to partner with you to meet common challenges, there have been times where America has shown arrogance and been dismissive, even derisive.”

2. April 6, 2009: Ankara, Turkey to the Turkish Parliament

“Another issue that confronts all democracies as they move to the future is how we deal with the past. The United States is still working through some of our own darker periods in our history.”

3. April 17, 2009, Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago, at the Summit of the Americas
“While the United States has done much to promote peace and prosperity in the hemisphere, we have at times been disengaged, and at times we sought to dictate our terms.”

Five Times Obama Has Apologized for America

AP Images
BY: Washington Free Beacon Staff
August 31, 2012 5:02 pm
In his acceptance speech at the Republican National Convention, Mitt Romney said:

“I will begin my presidency with a jobs tour. President Obama began with an apology tour. America, he said, had dictated to other nations. No Mr. President, America has freed other nations from dictators.”

The Obama campaign and notoriously liberal “fact-check” websites such as factcheck.org, Politifact, and the Washington Post‘s “Fact Checker” said President Obama never went on an “apology tour” and has never apologized for American actions.

However, in the first few months of the president’s term, Obama repeatedly did speak of America’s past mistakes in a series of appearances, several of which fell in foreign countries. It was also revealed in a top secret cable published in 2011 by Wikileaks that the Japanese government vetoed the idea of President Obama visiting Hiroshima in September 2009 and apologizing for the atomic bomb.

Here are five examples of Obama apologizing for America, first collected in 2009 by “Hannity,” which occurred in quick succession during Obama’s April 2009 tour of foreign countries and in two speeches in the United States shortly thereafter.

“In America, there’s a failure to appreciate Europe’s leading role in the world. Instead of celebrating your dynamic union and seeking to partner with you to meet common challenges, there have been times where America has shown arrogance and been dismissive, even derisive.”

“Another issue that confronts all democracies as they move to the future is how we deal with the past. The United States is still working through some of our own darker periods in our history.”

3. April 17, 2009, Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago, at the Summit of the Americas

“While the United States has done much to promote peace and prosperity in the hemisphere, we have at times been disengaged, and at times we sought to dictate our terms.”

4. April 20, 2009: CIA headquarters, Langley, Va.
“Don’t be discouraged that we have to acknowledge potentially we’ve made some mistakes. That’s how we learn.”

5. May 21, 2009: National Archives in Washington D.C.
“Unfortunately, faced with an uncertain threat, our government made a series of hasty decisions. … I also believe that all too often our government made decisions based on fear rather than foresight; that all too often our government trimmed facts and evidence to fit ideological predispositions. Instead of strategically applying our power and our principles, too often we set those principles aside as luxuries that we could no longer afford. And during this season of fear, too many of us — Democrats and Republicans, politicians, journalists, and citizens — fell silent. In other words, we went off course.”
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#8 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:10 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

AP Images
In his acceptance speech at the Republican National Convention, Mitt Romney said:

“I will begin my presidency with a jobs tour. President Obama began with an apology tour. America, he said, had dictated to other nations. No Mr. President, America has freed other nations from dictators.”

The Obama campaign and notoriously liberal “fact-check” websites such as factcheck.org, Politifact, and the Washington Post‘s “Fact Checker” said President Obama never went on an “apology tour” and has never apologized for American actions.

However, in the first few months of the president’s term, Obama repeatedly did speak of America’s past mistakes in a series of appearances, several of which fell in foreign countries. It was also revealed in a top secret cable published in 2011 by Wikileaks that the Japanese government vetoed the idea of President Obama visiting Hiroshima in September 2009 and apologizing for the atomic bomb.

Here are five examples of Obama apologizing for America, first collected in 2009 by “Hannity,” which occurred in quick succession during Obama’s April 2009 tour of foreign countries and in two speeches in the United States shortly thereafter.

“Don’t be discouraged that we have to acknowledge potentially we’ve made some mistakes. That’s how we learn.”

“Unfortunately, faced with an uncertain threat, our government made a series of hasty decisions. … I also believe that all too often our government made decisions based on fear rather than foresight; that all too often our government trimmed facts and evidence to fit ideological predispositions. Instead of strategically applying our power and our principles, too often we set those principles aside as luxuries that we could no longer afford. And during this season of fear, too many of us — Democrats and Republicans, politicians, journalists, and citizens — fell silent. In other words, we went off course.”
I agree with everything he said; it's completely true.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#9 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:30 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

AP Images

Acknowledging that we haven't always been perfect isn't an apology. Failing to so acknowledge is arrogance. And you've taken these quotes (the ones I can find quickly) out of context.

Strasbourg
“In America, there’s a failure to appreciate Europe’s leading role in the world. Instead of celebrating your dynamic union and seeking to partner with you to meet common challenges, there have been times when America has shown arrogance and been dismissive, even derisive.

“But in Europe, there is an anti-Americanism that is at once casual but can also be insidious. Instead of recognizing the good that America so often does in the world, there have been times where Europeans choose to blame America for much of what’s bad.

“On both sides of the Atlantic, these attitudes have become all too common. They are not wise. They do not represent the truth. They threaten to widen the divide across the Atlantic and leave us both more isolated.”

Translation: We're not perfect, but neither are you.

Trinidad and Tobago
“I know that promises of partnership have gone unfulfilled in the past, and that trust has to be earned over time. While the United States has done much to promote peace and prosperity in the hemisphere, we have at times been disengaged, and at times we sought to dictate our terms. But I pledge to you that we seek an equal partnership.”

Translation: We've ignored you or pushed you around in the past, but we've done a lot of good and my Administration wants to work with you.

National Archives
“Unfortunately, faced with an uncertain threat, our government made a series of hasty decisions. I believe that many of these decisions were motivated by a sincere desire to protect the American people. But I also believe that all too often our government made decisions based on fear rather than foresight; that all too often our government trimmed facts and evidence to fit ideological predispositions. Instead of strategically applying our power and our principles, too often we set those principles aside as luxuries that we could no longer afford. And during this season of fear, too many of us -- Democrats and Republicans, politicians, journalists, and citizens -- fell silent.

“In other words, we went off course. And this is not my assessment alone. It was an assessment that was shared by the American people who nominated candidates for President from both major parties who, despite our many differences, called for a new approach -- one that rejected torture and one that recognized the imperative of closing the prison at Guantanamo Bay.

“Now let me be clear: We are indeed at war with al Qaeda and its affiliates. We do need to update our institutions to deal with this threat. But we must do so with an abiding confidence in the rule of law and due process; in checks and balances and accountability. For reasons that I will explain, the decisions that were made over the last eight years established an ad hoc legal approach for fighting terrorism that was neither effective nor sustainable -- a framework that failed to rely on our legal traditions and time-tested institutions, and that failed to use our values as a compass. And that's why I took several steps upon taking office to better protect the American people.”

Translation: The Bush Administration blew it, just like I said they did when I was campaigning.

Ankara

“In the last several years, you've abolished state security courts, you've expanded the right to counsel. You've reformed the penal code and strengthened laws that govern the freedom of the press and assembly. You've lifted bans on teaching and broadcasting Kurdish, and the world noted with respect the important signal sent through a new state Kurdish television station.

“These achievements have created new laws that must be implemented, and a momentum that should be sustained. For democracies cannot be static -- they must move forward. Freedom of religion and expression lead to a strong and vibrant civil society that only strengthens the state, which is why steps like reopening Halki Seminary will send such an important signal inside Turkey and beyond. An enduring commitment to the rule of law is the only way to achieve the security that comes from justice for all people. Robust minority rights let societies benefit from the full measure of contributions from all citizens.

“I say this as the President of a country that not very long ago made it hard for somebody who looks like me to vote, much less be President of the United States. But it is precisely that capacity to change that enriches our countries. Every challenge that we face is more easily met if we tend to our own democratic foundation. This work is never over. That's why, in the United States, we recently ordered the prison at Guantanamo Bay closed. That's why we prohibited -- without exception or equivocation -- the use of torture. All of us have to change. And sometimes change is hard.

“Another issue that confronts all democracies as they move to the future is how we deal with the past. The United States is still working through some of our own darker periods in our history. Facing the Washington Monument that I spoke of is a memorial of Abraham Lincoln, the man who freed those who were enslaved even after Washington led our Revolution. Our country still struggles with the legacies of slavery and segregation, the past treatment of Native Americans.”

Translation: We know what you've been doing to increase freedom in your own country is hard because we have faced similar difficulties. But it's worth it, as our own experience attests.

America is not and should not be a country that is unwilling to admit mistakes. We should instead demonstrate that we can learn from mistakes. Just like we demonstrated four years ago when we elected this President to replace the policies that got us into an unnecessary Middle Eastern war all by our ownselves. And I, for one, am not interested in putting the neocons advising Romney back in charge of our foreign policy. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#10 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:49 pm

Bob78164 wrote: America is not and should not be a country that is unwilling to admit mistakes. We should instead demonstrate that we can learn from mistakes. Just like we demonstrated four years ago when we elected this President to replace the policies that got us into an unnecessary Middle Eastern war all by our ownselves.
We made a mistake 12 years ago. We made the same mistake 8 years ago. We made another version of the same mistake 4 years ago when we allowed ourselves to repackage the same failures in a slicker looking package.

I think we're finally going to learn from our mistakes this time around.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

flockofseagulls104

#11 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:48 am

Has any Chief Executive, King, Prime Minister or Emir of another country ever come to the United States and admitted to any failings or faults of their country's policies to us?

I don't follow this stuff, but I would be surprised if that has ever happened. Maybe Germany has apologized for the Nazis, but most people in America don't think we've behaved like Nazis. Some do, though.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#12 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:15 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote:Has any Chief Executive, King, Prime Minister or Emir of another country ever come to the United States and admitted to any failings or faults of their country's policies to us?

I don't follow this stuff, but I would be surprised if that has ever happened. Maybe Germany has apologized for the Nazis, but most people in America don't think we've behaved like Nazis. Some do, though.
I don't know either, but if they have, the world is a better place for the honesty. --Bob

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#13 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:52 am

I wonder how the participants in this thread feel about Comrade Donny's performance yesterday. --Bob

flockofseagulls104

#14 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:05 pm

Bob78164 wrote:I wonder how the participants in this thread feel about Comrade Donny's performance yesterday. --Bob
I expressed my opinion yesterday bob-tel. Of course you didn't read it because you are illiterate and made this kneejerk reaction. I have no doubt that you have completely different responses to both incidents that totally correspond to your bigotry. That's another reason why I am certain that trump is the lesser of two evils.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

silverscreenselect

#15 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:44 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote: That's another reason why I am certain that trump is the lesser of two evils.
As far as I can tell, Bob ##'s doesn't have the power to take us to war or to give away our intelligence secrets to the Russians. But he does have the power to call the president Comrade Donny so I guess that's the greater of two evils in your mind.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

flockofseagulls104

#16 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:50 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote: That's another reason why I am certain that trump is the lesser of two evils.
As far as I can tell, Bob ##'s doesn't have the power to take us to war or to give away our intelligence secrets to the Russians. But he does have the power to call the president Comrade Donny so I guess that's the greater of two evils in your mind.
Do you have ANY power of comprehension?