The Kentucky clerk

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

Re: The Kentucky clerk

#26 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:44 pm

earendel wrote:A federal judge has ordered Kim Davis to be jailed for contempt of court.

Interestingly she issued a statement that included this sentence:

To issue a marriage license which conflicts with God's definition of marriage, with my name affixed to the certificate, would violate my conscience."
I'm sure where she's going she can have some enlightened conversations with her fellow inmates about God's definition of marriage.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Ritterskoop

#27 Post by Ritterskoop » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:46 pm

When a judge ruled that same-sex marriages were legal in N.C., several county magistrates resigned rather than issues the licenses. Many of our more rural magistrates are part-time, and many of them are preachers on the weekends.

They were applauded from both the folks who thought the licenses were moral and those who didn't. If your conscience prevents you from doing a job, don't do that job. I sympathize that when they signed up for this job, that aspect of it didn't exist. But we didn't arrange it for them to be grandfathered in, so they are right to resign from the position.

We used to use a similar case study in my ethics class about pharmacists who were required to sell birth control items they thought were immoral. If there is a second person on staff who can take care of it, fine. Otherwise, if you accept public money, you have to serve the public. If it is a privately-owned store, you don't. Easy cheesy.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

tlynn78

#28 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:58 pm

Curiously, her political affiliation hasn't been brought up much. This "right-wing" "extremist religious nut" is <clutching my pearls> a Democrat!
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#29 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:08 pm

In other news, Texas Quakers are now refusing to issue gun licenses, citing their pacifist religious beliefs. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

tlynn78

#30 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:32 pm

Bob78164 wrote:In other news, Texas Quakers are now refusing to issue gun licenses, citing their pacifist religious beliefs. --Bob
I have zero problem with that. Although I'd be curious how that compares to the "Christian" baker stories. I feel neither the baker should have to bake nor the Quaker should have to issue gun licenses, unless, of course, they're violating some oath of office by refusing.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#31 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:54 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:In other news, Texas Quakers are now refusing to issue gun licenses, citing their pacifist religious beliefs. --Bob
I have zero problem with that. Although I'd be curious how that compares to the "Christian" baker stories. I feel neither the baker should have to bake nor the Quaker should have to issue gun licenses, unless, of course, they're violating some oath of office by refusing.
I should have used Sarcafont. I also should have upped the ante by saying they're refusing to let their offices issue gun licenses. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#32 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:19 pm

elwoodblues wrote:If you work for the government you don't get to pick and choose which laws you want to follow. You have to follow all of them or look for some other line of work.
Really? Tell that to Mr. Obama, who decides what laws he wants to enforce, what laws he doesn't and makes up laws that don't exist.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#33 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:01 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
elwoodblues wrote:If you work for the government you don't get to pick and choose which laws you want to follow. You have to follow all of them or look for some other line of work.
Really? Tell that to Mr. Obama, who decides what laws he wants to enforce, what laws he doesn't and makes up laws that don't exist.
When the courts have told him he's wrong (which hasn't happened much), he has obeyed their directives.

By the way, do you believe that a District Attorney is obligated to prosecute each and every crime that comes to her attention? --Bob

flockofseagulls104

#34 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:22 am

Bob78164 wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote:
When the courts have told him he's wrong (which hasn't happened much), he has obeyed their directives.

By the way, do you believe that a District Attorney is obligated to prosecute each and every time that comes to her attention? --Bob
Yes, there are MANY things wrong with the executive, legislative and judicial branches of our federal government, which is the result of cronyism, blatant party politics and ignoring and convoluting the Constitution. That is why I support the Article V effort to convene a Convention of the States to propose Amendments. Washington ain't never gonna fix itself.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Vandal
Director of Promos

#35 Post by Vandal » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:04 pm

Survivor Files $1.2 Million Lawsuit Against Kim Davis & Mike Huckabee

http://nbc.com.co/survivor-files-1-2-mi ... -huckabee/
The band Survivor has filed a $1.2 million lawsuit against Kim Davis and Mike Huckabee over the unauthorized use of its hit song “Eye of the Tiger.”
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

K.P.

#36 Post by K.P. » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:38 pm

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#37 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:42 pm

I wonder what she'll do when she goes back to work on Monday. --Bob

Bob Juch

#38 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:16 pm

Bob78164 wrote:I wonder what she'll do when she goes back to work on Monday. --Bob
She's said she won't obey the order then.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Jeemie

#39 Post by Jeemie » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:39 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:I wonder what she'll do when she goes back to work on Monday. --Bob
She's all in now- she can't change her mind.

The interesting thing will be what her underlings do.
1979 City of Champions 2009

Bob Juch

#40 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:30 pm

Jeemie wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
She's all in now- she can't change her mind.

The interesting thing will be what her underlings do.
One has said he'll issue licenses even if she orders him not to. They all have been issuing licenses in her absence. She's said those are invalid.

The question is what will the Oath Keepers do when the U.S. Marshals come to take her away?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob Juch

#41 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:19 am

Well the first same-sex couple to get their license with her in the office got preached at a lot but got it.

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.co ... is_present

Vandal
Director of Promos

#42 Post by Vandal » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:13 am

Gay man denied marriage license by Kim Davis will run against her
Two years ago, Kim Davis denied David Ermold a marriage license because he was gay, despite it being legalized.

Today, she had to watch as he signed up to run against her in the next election.

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster