Transcript 2/24/2017 - Beau Henson (carryover)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 2/24/2017 - Beau Henson (carryover)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:47 am

Beau Henson
Mt. Carmel, IL

Beau is a student struggling to pay tuition. He studied in Scotland and used his trivia skills to win free meals. He was known as "The Colonialist". He teaches people how to take standardized tests. Beau is going for $20,000 with all his lifelines available.

$20,000: Though best-known for his 19-year, 6-team NBA career, who's also a businessman who owns 150 car washes and about 10% of the Five Guys franchise?
A - Shaquille O'Neal
B - Scotty Pippin
C - Isiah Thomas
D - Larry Bird

Beau says he knows this but isn't sure how well he knows it.
Spoiler
Answer: A (Shaquille O'Neal)
$30,000: For the first 30 years of its existence, which of these snacks did not have a creamy filling?
A - Twinkies
B - Moon Pies
C - Hostess CupCakes
D - Oreos

Beau says that
Spoiler
Moon Pies are more marshmallow-y than creamy
. He decides to ask the audience.
ATA
Ask the Audience results:
A - 22%
B - 12%
C - 54%
D - 12%
Those two answers were the ones he was thinking, in that order. He decides to trust the audience.
Spoiler
Answer: C (Hostess CupCakes)
$50,000: Associated with the release of dopamine, "musical frisson" is the phenomenon where music causes you to do what?
A - sing along
B - start crying
C - tap your toe
D - get chills
Spoiler
Answer: D (get chills)
commercial break

$100,000: Every single day on Earth, which of the following occurs roughly 1.3 million times?
A - there's a lightning strike
B - a human gives birth
C - a commercial airliner takes off
D - someone sends a tweet

Beau says that it isn't
Spoiler
D because the number is higher than that
. He says that if it's
Spoiler
B that would mean 365 million people born each year. He thinks he remembers when the Earth's population was 6 billion and when it reached 7 billion
. He decides to use his 50:50.
50:50 results
A and B
Beau decides to go with
Spoiler
A
Spoiler
Answer: A (there's a lightning strike)
commercial break

Beau says that $1 million can open a lot of doors and mentions his girlfriend Nicole, who's in the audience.

$250,000: Wayne Allwine and Ronni Taylor, the voice actors behind which cartoon couple, actually got married in real life?
A - Lady and The Tramp
B - Mickey and Minnie Mouse
C - Rudolph the Reindeer and Clarise
D - Belle and The Beast

Beau says that he knows that
Spoiler
the voice actors for Mickey and Minnie are married
Spoiler
Answer: B (Mickey and Minnie Mouse)
commercial break

MILLIONAIRE "QUESTION OF THE DAY" Which of these Oscar-winning actresses won one of her Oscars for playing an Oscar-winning actress?:
A - Hilary Swank
B - Jodie Foster
C - Kate Winslet
D - Cate Blanchett
Spoiler
Answer: D (Cate Blanchett)
$500,000: In 2016, Wikipedia announced that the single most-edited article in its 15-year history is about who or what?
A - Israel
B - Beyoncé
C - George W. Bush
D - Harry Potter

Beau calls for his +1, Will. Will says he wishes that Beau had called on him for one of the earlier questions. Will's gut says that it's
Spoiler
B
because he thinks he read this somewhere. Beau says that
Spoiler
B
is in a class by itself and has ongoing things that would need updating. Beau asks Will, who says that Beau should walk away. Although both believe it's
Spoiler
B
, Beau walks with $250,000.
Spoiler
Answer: C (George W. Bush)

ghostjmf

Re: Transcript 2/24/2017 - Beau Henson (carryover)

#2 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:24 am

If it was Bird we'd have heard this in Boston. ATA

30K:, cupcakes, because none of the others make sense w/o filling.

100K: I would never have been able to do the population arithmetic contestant did because I didn't have figures, but "births" just feels too high. Ditto airplanes taking off. I had recently read lightning stat in National Geographic & think that's it. 50/50 to be sure.

250K: +1, & if they don't know I walk.

500K: I gratefully retire here.

I am glad this transcript finally got posted. This guy was flat-out amazing.
Last edited by ghostjmf on Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#3 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:47 am

I was pretty sure about that last question. To me, most-edited implies a content war, and that, to me, implies a controversial political figure. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#4 Post by SportsFan68 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:48 pm

$30,000: For the first 30 years of its existence, which of these snacks did not have a creamy filling?
A - Twinkies
B - Moon Pies
C - Hostess CupCakes
D - Oreos

Beau says that
Spoiler
Moon Pies are more marshmallow-y than creamy
. He decides to ask the audience.
ATA
Ask the Audience results:
A - 22%
B - 12%
C - 54%
D - 12%
Those two answers were the ones he was thinking, in that order. He decides to trust the audience.
Spoiler
Answer: C (Hostess CupCakes)
ATA
$250,000: Wayne Allwine and Ronni Taylor, the voice actors behind which cartoon couple, actually got married in real life?
A - Lady and The Tramp
B - Mickey and Minnie Mouse
C - Rudolph the Reindeer and Clarise
D - Belle and The Beast

Beau says that he knows that
Spoiler
the voice actors for Mickey and Minnie are married
Spoiler
Answer: B (Mickey and Minnie Mouse)
It's not A or D. Try 50/50 and hope.
$500,000: In 2016, Wikipedia announced that the single most-edited article in its 15-year history is about who or what?
A - Israel
B - Beyoncé
C - George W. Bush
D - Harry Potter

Beau calls for his +1, Will. Will says he wishes that Beau had called on him for one of the earlier questions. Will's gut says that it's
Spoiler
B
Spoiler
B
is in a class by itself and has ongoing things that would need updating. Beau asks Will, who says that Beau should walk away. Although both believe it's
Spoiler
B
Spoiler
No idea. If I'm not already gone, sayonara.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:39 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Beau Henson
Mt. Carmel, IL

Beau is a student struggling to pay tuition. He studied in Scotland and used his trivia skills to win free meals. He was known as "The Colonialist". He teaches people how to take standardized tests. Beau is going for $20,000 with all his lifelines available.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$20,000: Though best-known for his 19-year, 6-team NBA career, who's also a businessman who owns 150 car washes and about 10% of the Five Guys franchise?
A - Shaquille O'Neal
B - Scotty Pippin
C - Isiah Thomas
D - Larry Bird

Beau says he knows this but isn't sure how well he knows it.
Spoiler
Answer: A (Shaquille O'Neal)
Our trivia team got this right when we saw a similar question last weekend.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100,000: Every single day on Earth, which of the following occurs roughly 1.3 million times?
B - a human gives birth

Beau says that it isn't
Spoiler
. He says that if it's
Spoiler
B that would mean 365 million people born each year. He thinks he remembers when the Earth's population was 6 billion and when it reached 7 billion
A and B
Beau decides to go with
Spoiler
A
Spoiler
I'm not sure about his math, but if 1.3 million babies were born each day the world would be adding 1 billion people every 3 years, and I know it isn't that fast. I don't think there are that many commercial airliners in the world, so that leaves A and D. As popular as Twitter has become, I'd rule it out also.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$500,000: In 2016, Wikipedia announced that the single most-edited article in its 15-year history is about who or what?
A - Israel
B - Beyoncé
C - George W. Bush
D - Harry Potter

Spoiler
B
Spoiler
B
Spoiler
B
Spoiler
I would have thought it was Harry Potter, but if I still have lifelines, I use them, starting with the 50:50. If A and C are the remaining answers, I ATA, then use the +1.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Estonut
Evil Genius

#6 Post by Estonut » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:23 am

earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100,000: Every single day on Earth, which of the following occurs roughly 1.3 million times?
B - a human gives birth

Beau says that it isn't
Spoiler
. He says that if it's
Spoiler
A and B
Beau decides to go with
Spoiler
A
Spoiler
I'm not sure about his math, but if 1.3 million babies were born each day the world would be adding 1 billion people every 3 years, and I know it isn't that fast. I don't think there are that many commercial airliners in the world, so that leaves A and D. As popular as Twitter has become, I'd rule it out also.
I'm sure about his math. It's better than yours. He (I assume quickly) roughed out that 1.3 million would mean 365 million per year.

You, with all the time in the world, doubted his math and then said it would be 1 billion in 3 years, or 333,333,333 per year.

The actual result for 365 * 1,300,000 is 474,500,000. He was closer than you were.

Regarding Twitter, our posting record here (as posted by lb each year) is around 1,300 posts in a day. You discounted that Twitter, with its 319 million active users could do 1,000 times that in a day?

Their average, actually, is in the vicinity of 500 million a day.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

earendel

#7 Post by earendel » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:48 am

Estonut wrote:I'm sure about his math. It's better than yours. He (I assume quickly) roughed out that 1.3 million would mean 365 million per year.

You, with all the time in the world, doubted his math and then said it would be 1 billion in 3 years, or 333,333,333 per year.

The actual result for 365 * 1,300,000 is 474,500,000. He was closer than you were.
True, I suppose, but the fact remains that in 3 years the world would add over a billion new people (actually almost 2 billion - 1,898,000,000). So that can't be the right answer.
Estonut wrote:Regarding Twitter, our posting record here (as posted by lb each year) is around 1,300 posts in a day. You discounted that Twitter, with its 319 million active users could do 1,000 times that in a day?

Their average, actually, is in the vicinity of 500 million a day.
My logic may have been faulty but in any event I didn't consider it to be the right answer.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Estonut
Evil Genius

#8 Post by Estonut » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:56 am

earendel wrote:
Estonut wrote:I'm sure about his math. It's better than yours. He (I assume quickly) roughed out that 1.3 million would mean 365 million per year.

True, I suppose, but the fact remains that in 3 years the world would add over a billion new people (actually almost 2 billion - 1,898,000,000). So that can't be the right answer.
Your figure represents 4 years, not 3.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

jarnon

#9 Post by jarnon » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:14 pm

According to the Ecology Global Network website, 360,000 people are born and 151,600 die each day, for a net gain of 76 million a year, or a billion in 13 years.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

TheConfessor

#10 Post by TheConfessor » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:31 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $100,000: Every single day on Earth, which of the following occurs roughly 1.3 million times?
B - a human gives birth
This episode was rerun Friday and I happened to watch it. In a quick search, all the sources I found said that lighting strikes Earth about 100 time per second, or about 8,000,000 times per day. This is off by nearly an order of magnitude from the 1,300,00/day stated in the question. So choice B, a human gives birth, is actually closer to 1.3 million per day than the "correct" answer of lightning strikes.
National Geographic wrote:Cloud-to-ground lightning bolts are a common phenomenon—about 100 strike Earth’s surface every single second—yet their power is extraordinary.
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/envir ... lightning/
Reference.com wrote:Lightning strikes reach the ground on Earth as much as 8 million times per day or 100 times per second, according to the National Severe Storms Laboratory.
https://www.reference.com/science/many- ... 36ffaa2aca