Transcript 3/17/17 Andrew Oreskovich (BB AndyO92)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 3/17/17 Andrew Oreskovich (BB AndyO92)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:43 pm

Andrew Oreskovich
Chemical engineer
Philadelphia, Pa.

$500
Because of the body part people often use to hail a ride, hitchhiking is commonly known as what?
A: “Thumbing a ride” B: “Chinning a ride”
C: “Kneecapping a ride” D: “Bellying a ride”
Answer
A: “Thumbing a ride”
$1,000
“Schmear Campaign” was a recent New York Magazine headline about growing competition between vendors of what baked good?
A: Pizza B: Bagels
C: Espresso D: Pretzels
Answer
B: Bagels
$2,000
Offering a variety of grades to choose from, Carabiner’s in MA and Vertical Endeavors in MN are two of America’s largest what?
A: Boxing Gyms B: Climbing Gyms
C: Wrestling Gyms D: Yoga Gyms
Answer
B: Climbing Gyms
$3,000
Saying “It’s not as good as the real thing,” Martha Stewart recently revealed to Chelsea Handler that she does not watch what popular Netflix show?
A: The Walking Dead B: Orange Is the New Black
C: Veep D: Nashville
Answer
B: Orange Is the New Black
$5,000
The charity Dogs4Diabetics trains puppies to detect what medical condition?
A: Arrhythmia B: Hypoglycemia
C: Conjunctivitis D: Hypertension
Answer
B: Hypoglycemia
$7,000
If you want to kiss Ireland’s legendary Blarney Stone and receive the gift of eloquence it promises, you have to do so how?
A: Blindfolded B: Underwater
C: With your sweetheart D: Upside-down
Answer
D: Upside-down
Commercial break

$10,000
Featuring images like Battersea Power Station, a cow in a field, and light going through a prism, in 2016 the UK released a set of stamps honoring what group?
A: The Who B: Pink Floyd
C: The Beatles D: Queen
Answer
B: Pink Floyd
$20,000
Pulling double duty, the U.S. Ambassador to Switzerland also serves as ambassador to what neighboring nation with just over 36,000 residents?
A: Malta B: Liechtenstein
C: Vatican City D: Andorra
ATA
A: 19% B: 39% C: 23% D: 19%
+1
Andrew's +1 is Bob78164. He says Malta and Vatican City don’t neighbor Switzerland. He thinks it’s Liechtenstein.
Answer
B: Liechtenstein
Andrew and Bob embrace.
Commercial break

QotD
Vienna’s Academy of Fine Arts twice rejected the application of what famous figure?
A: Albert Einstein B: Sigmund Freud
C: Friedrich Nietzsche D: Adolf Hitler
Answer
D: Adolf Hitler
$30,000
Often touted as a sign of the inherent evils of gambling, which of these adds up to 666?
A: The number of dots on a six-sided die B: A roulette wheel’s numbers
C: The number of values in a deck of cards D: All the playable Powerball numbers
50/50
Andrew narrows it down to B & D, and that’s what the 50/50 leaves.
Andrew thinks it’s B, but he walks.
Answer
B: A roulette wheel’s numbers
Andrew wins $20,000.
Last edited by BBTranscriptTeam on Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ghostjmf

Re: Transcript 3/17/17 Andrew Oreskovich (BB AndyO92)

#2 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:09 pm

1K: The schmear is the cream cheese.

Hey! They asked more Qs on today's show!

OK now I see in another thread this is explained by preemption.

20K: Pretty sure Andorra is in Alps between France & Spain? Anyway, not Switzerland, so go w/ Lichtenstein.

30K: Laboriously rule out, as did contestant, A & C. I do not know values to work w/ for B & D. 50/50 will leave those but throw it at this to be sure. Then call +1 & pray they know values to work w/.
Last edited by ghostjmf on Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#3 Post by SportsFan68 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:14 pm

$30,000
Often touted as a sign of the inherent evils of gambling, which of these adds up to 666?
C: The number of values in a deck of cards D: All the playable Powerball numbers
50/50
Answer
Andrew wins $20,000.
There's a formula for this which I learned a loooooooooong time ago. Thanks to this question, I just looked it up, and it's a struggle to do in my head, but I can do it.

Having not looked it up previously, I'll try Plus One. Maybe that person knows it.

Otherwise, there could be some painstaking adding, most of which would probably be edited out.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#4 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:47 pm

SportsFan68 wrote:
$30,000
50/50
Answer
Andrew wins $20,000.
There's a formula for this which I learned a loooooooooong time ago. Thanks to this question, I just looked it up, and it's a struggle to do in my head, but I can do it.

Having not looked it up previously, I'll try Plus One. Maybe that person knows it.

Otherwise, there could be some painstaking adding, most of which would probably be edited out.
I really wish Andrew had been able to save me for this question because then I'd really have been able to show my stuff. The easy way to do this is to add from the outside in. 1 + 36 = 37. 2+ 35 = 37. Lather, rinse repeat until you reach 18 + 19 = 37. That means the answer is 37 x 18, which is the same as 37 x 3 x 6, which is 111 x 6 or 666. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#5 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:56 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Andrew Oreskovich
Chemical engineer
Philadelphia, Pa.

$500
Because of the body part people often use to hail a ride, hitchhiking is commonly known as what?
A: “Thumbing a ride” B: “Chinning a ride”
C: “Kneecapping a ride” D: “Bellying a ride”
Answer
A: “Thumbing a ride”
$1,000
“Schmear Campaign” was a recent New York Magazine headline about growing competition between vendors of what baked good?
A: Pizza B: Bagels
C: Espresso D: Pretzels
Answer
B: Bagels
$2,000
Offering a variety of grades to choose from, Carabiner’s in MA and Vertical Endeavors in MN are two of America’s largest what?
A: Boxing Gyms B: Climbing Gyms
C: Wrestling Gyms D: Yoga Gyms
Answer
B: Climbing Gyms
$3,000
Saying “It’s not as good as the real thing,” Martha Stewart recently revealed to Chelsea Handler that she does not watch what popular Netflix show?
A: The Walking Dead B: Orange Is the New Black
C: Veep D: Nashville
Answer
B: Orange Is the New Black
$5,000
The charity Dogs4Diabetics trains puppies to detect what medical condition?
A: Arrhythmia B: Hypoglycemia
C: Conjunctivitis D: Hypertension
Answer
B: Hypoglycemia
$7,000
If you want to kiss Ireland’s legendary Blarney Stone and receive the gift of eloquence it promises, you have to do so how?
A: Blindfolded B: Underwater
C: With your sweetheart D: Upside-down
Answer
D: Upside-down
Commercial break

$10,000
Featuring images like Battersea Power Station, a cow in a field, and light going through a prism, in 2016 the UK released a set of stamps honoring what group?
A: The Who B: Pink Floyd
C: The Beatles D: Queen
Answer
B: Pink Floyd
$20,000
Pulling double duty, the U.S. Ambassador to Switzerland also serves as ambassador to what neighboring nation with just over 36,000 residents?
A: Malta B: Liechtenstein
C: Vatican City D: Andorra
ATA
A: 19% B: 39% C: 23% D: 19%
+1
Andrew's +1 is Bob78164. He says Malta and Vatican City don’t neighbor Switzerland. He thinks it’s Liechtenstein.
Answer
B: Liechtenstein
Andrew and Bob embrace.
Commercial break

QotD
Vienna’s Academy of Fine Arts twice rejected the application of what famous figure?
A: Albert Einstein B: Sigmund Freud
C: Friedrich Nietzsche D: Adolf Hitler
Answer
D: Adolf Hitler
$30,000
50/50
Answer
Andrew wins $20,000.
They did some editing of the $20,000 question. Toward the end, shortly before Andrew decided to go for it, I told him something to the effect of, "The more I think about it, the more I think that Andorra is somewhere in the Pyrenees between France and Spain."

I think the people sitting near me were producers. At one point they told me to stop nodding my head, which I must have been doing unconsciously. After I returned from Plus One duty, they told me I was right about Andorra's location and that the 50-50 would have left Andorra as the distractor. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

AndyO92

#6 Post by AndyO92 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:06 pm

20k: Vatican City was all I could eliminate (which the audience picked as #2), so I probably could have been more confident in the audience. At the same time, maybe that means I can trust them even less... Luckily Bob was able to jump in and get me through it. Interesting that the producer let you know what the 50/50 would have been.

30k: This was edited pretty heavily - it felt like ages that I was mulling it over. Been reliving this moment probably at least once a day. Completely froze up trying to add 1-36. In retrospect I remember seeing an article that they changed the number of balls in the Powerball to make it more difficult. So even without math, I should have figured that "often touted" likely wouldn't refer to a game whose rules can change more readily. At least I have a few grand to wipe my tears with, I suppose.

Big thanks to Bob for coming out from LA (twice), and to everyone here on the Bored. There's no other study resource like it and it was immensely helpful for both the audition and game itself. If anyone else needs a +1 next season, give me a call!

earendel

#7 Post by earendel » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:44 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Andrew Oreskovich
Chemical engineer
Philadelphia, Pa.
Congrats, Andy (and you, too, Bob O'Numbers)!
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."