Someone Got Into My Twitter Account

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

Someone Got Into My Twitter Account

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:12 pm

In the last couple of days, I got e-mails from Twitter saying someone had accessed my account, first from Missouri and most recently from New Jersey. I was afraid the first one was phishing so I ignored it, but I changed my password this time. Then, when I got back from the movies this evening, I got another e-mail from Twitter saying that my account was locked, and it turns out someone sent a Tweet under my name asking people to buy Ray Ban sunglasses. I deleted that Tweet, but now I'm wondering if any of my other accounts have been compromised. I've got so many I'm not sure where to start.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob Juch

Re: Someone Got Into My Twitter Account

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:03 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:In the last couple of days, I got e-mails from Twitter saying someone had accessed my account, first from Missouri and most recently from New Jersey. I was afraid the first one was phishing so I ignored it, but I changed my password this time. Then, when I got back from the movies this evening, I got another e-mail from Twitter saying that my account was locked, and it turns out someone sent a Tweet under my name asking people to buy Ray Ban sunglasses. I deleted that Tweet, but now I'm wondering if any of my other accounts have been compromised. I've got so many I'm not sure where to start.
You didn't do something dumb like using the same password for multiple accounts, did you?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:37 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:In the last couple of days, I got e-mails from Twitter saying someone had accessed my account, first from Missouri and most recently from New Jersey. I was afraid the first one was phishing so I ignored it, but I changed my password this time. Then, when I got back from the movies this evening, I got another e-mail from Twitter saying that my account was locked, and it turns out someone sent a Tweet under my name asking people to buy Ray Ban sunglasses. I deleted that Tweet, but now I'm wondering if any of my other accounts have been compromised. I've got so many I'm not sure where to start.
You didn't do something dumb like using the same password for multiple accounts, did you?
There's probably some duplication. There's only so many ways I can spell "password."

Apparently it was just the one tweet. I read that there was a major data leak recently when a spammer called River City Media got hacked and over a billion records were exposed, including some information of mine (according to Have I Been Pawned).
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob Juch

#4 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:07 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
There's probably some duplication. There's only so many ways I can spell "password."

Apparently it was just the one tweet. I read that there was a major data leak recently when a spammer called River City Media got hacked and over a billion records were exposed, including some information of mine (according to Have I Been Pawned).
I use RoboForm which produces (and saves) virtually uncrackable passwords.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.