A Nasty RASH Puzzle

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Vandal
Director of Promos

A Nasty RASH Puzzle

#1 Post by Vandal » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:01 pm

This one is more like a Tangredi puzzle.
In this RASH puzzle, the elements correlate to four different, but related themes. The identifiers: 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th are used as placeholders for the four theme words. Most of the elements have an obvious correlation to the theme and some are more indirectly related. Each element correlates to only one theme.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

mrkelley23

Re: A Nasty RASH Puzzle

#2 Post by mrkelley23 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:29 pm

I can see where it's going to be tough, but I think I've got a few, including what the 4 theme words are:

3. is Club sandwich
4. is Country Club
9. is Mickey Mouse Club
14. is Old Maid
21. Might be Irons and Woods? (reference to golf?)
32. is Diamond Jim Brady
41. is Shoot the Moon
45. is Shine on, You Crazy Diamond
49. is Valentine
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:32 pm

It might help if you had added the rules:

RASH Puzzle Rules: The clues are mixtures of components (words or syllables) that, when verbally replaced with appropriate counterparts, will integrate into answers that correspond to the puzzle’s theme.

Relatives are like things. Apples and oranges are relatives in the fruit family; Cupid and Blitzen are relatives in Santa’s reindeer; Mars and Jupiter are relatives in the family of planets
Antonyms are opposites: black and white, will and won’t, now and then.

Synonyms are different words with similar meanings: yellow and amber, cold and brisk, trash and rubbish, near and close.

Homophones/homonyms Homophones are pronounced the same, have different meanings, and may or may not have the same spelling: merry, marry and Mary. Homonyms have the same spelling and pronunciation but different meanings: bank (edge of a river, carom, or depository).

Here are a few explanatory notes to help you solve: If you can get a part of a clue, you can usually reason through the twisted combination of “nyms” to get the whole answer.

Some of the homonyms are not exact. For example, “day” may be as close as we could get to “Dave.” Such rough homonyms are denoted in italics to alert the solver to beware.

Hyphens separate syllables (single or multiple) within a single word. For example, Gas-yuk could translate to Air (synonym for gas) – ick (synonym for yuk). This results in Eric (translating the appropriate homophones).

Multiple words with no space constitute a single syllable or word. (For example, foursidedfigure could be replaced by square, rhombus, rectangle, etc.)

Underlined words or letters are not replaced; they are left as-is. (For example, the stays as the.)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

mrkelley23

#4 Post by mrkelley23 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:40 pm

Bob Juch wrote:It might help if you had added the rules:

RASH Puzzle Rules: The clues are mixtures of components (words or syllables) that, when verbally replaced with appropriate counterparts, will integrate into answers that correspond to the puzzle’s theme.

Relatives are like things. Apples and oranges are relatives in the fruit family; Cupid and Blitzen are relatives in Santa’s reindeer; Mars and Jupiter are relatives in the family of planets

Synonyms are different words with similar meanings: yellow and amber, cold and brisk, trash and rubbish, near and close.

Homophones/homonyms Homophones are pronounced the same, have different meanings, and may or may not have the same spelling: merry, marry and Mary. Homonyms have the same spelling and pronunciation but different meanings: bank (edge of a river, carom, or depository).

Here are a few explanatory notes to help you solve: If you can get a part of a clue, you can usually reason through the twisted combination of “nyms” to get the whole answer.

Some of the homonyms are not exact. For example, “day” may be as close as we could get to “Dave.” Such rough homonyms are denoted in italics to alert the solver to beware.

Hyphens separate syllables (single or multiple) within a single word. For example, Gas-yuk could translate to Air (synonym for gas) – ick (synonym for yuk). This results in Eric (translating the appropriate homophones).

Multiple words with no space constitute a single syllable or word. (For example, foursidedfigure could be replaced by square, rhombus, rectangle, etc.)

Underlined words or letters are not replaced; they are left as-is. (For example, the stays as the.)
Yeah, you're probably right. This is only like the 36th one of these that he's posted. Maybe by the time he gets to 40 he can stop reposting rules.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Bob Juch

#5 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:44 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:

Yeah, you're probably right. This is only like the 36th one of these that he's posted. Maybe by the time he gets to 40 he can stop reposting rules.
Not everyone here has a great memory and search doesn't work.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

mrkelley23

#6 Post by mrkelley23 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:58 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
Really? Is it interface dependent? I entered RASH in the keyword field and vandal in the author field and immediately got several hits including this one for the very first one he posted.

Not trying to be snarky (for once) I just hadn't heard anything about search not working.

Bob Juch

#7 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:20 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:
Really? Is it interface dependent? I entered RASH in the keyword field and vandal in the author field and immediately got several hits including this one for the very first one he posted.

Not trying to be snarky (for once) I just hadn't heard anything about search not working.
Well it's working now. I did a couple last week that returned no results. :roll:

TheConfessor

#8 Post by TheConfessor » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:09 pm

17 Cloverleaf
25 nightstick

mrkelley23

#9 Post by mrkelley23 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:20 pm

Starting to get a little clearer now...

1. is Anti-Theft Device (The Club)
5. is The Tell-Tale Heart
7. is Ann and Nancy Wilson (from the group Heart)
11. is Heartbreak Hotel
12. Neil Young's only number one song (Heart of Gold)
15. is shovel (type of spade)
22. is Compressed carbon (which is what a diamond is.)
23. might be Open Heart Surgery (Everything makes sense to me except the open.)
29. is Heart attack
30. might be Good Old Boys' Club?
34. is Club Soda
43. is Sweet Caroline singer (or composer) (Neil Diamond)
47. is Clubhouse

Estonut
Evil Genius

#10 Post by Estonut » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:25 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:

I'm embarrassed that you claim to be a computer geek.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Bob Juch

#11 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:57 pm

Estonut wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:Yeah, you're probably right. This is only like the 36th one of these that he's posted. Maybe by the time he gets to 40 he can stop reposting rules.
I'm embarrassed that you claim to be a computer geek.
Go right ahead.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#12 Post by Vandal » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:30 pm

Had I printed the RASH rules, they would have clearly stipulated:

No Cat Fights

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

Pastor Fireball

#13 Post by Pastor Fireball » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:43 am

mrkelley23 wrote:23. might be Open Heart Surgery (Everything makes sense to me except the open.)
In both the front and the back of this answer, open = airy.
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

Pastor Fireball

#14 Post by Pastor Fireball » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:02 am

CONSOLIDATION

1st = spade, 2nd = heart, 3rd = diamond, 4th = cub

1. anti-theft device [Club]
3. club sandwich
4. country club
5. The Tell-Tale Heart
7. Ann and Nancy Wilson [Heart]
9. Mickey Mouse club
11. Heartbreak Hotel
12. Neil Young's only number one song [Heart of Gold]
13. Blue Diamond almonds
14. Old Maid [usually the Queen of Clubs, but could also be here for the overall theme of cards]
15. shovel [Spade]
17. cloverleaf [Club]
18. Arizona baseball team [Diamondbacks]
21. irons and woods [Clubs]
22. compressed carbon [Diamond]
23. open heart surgery
25. nightstick [Club]
29. heart attack
30. good old boys club
32. Diamond Jim Brady
34. club soda
41. Shoot the Moon [Hearts]
43. Sweet Caroline singer [Neil Diamond]
45. Shine on, You Crazy Diamond
47. clubhouse
49. Valentine [Heart]
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

TheConfessor

#15 Post by TheConfessor » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:15 am

38 Baseball diamond

Vandal
Director of Promos

#16 Post by Vandal » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:32 pm

Could a mod please release this thread and put it out of its misery?

Thanks.
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

plasticene

#17 Post by plasticene » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:47 pm

I can add a few more

CONSOLIDATION

1st = spade, 2nd = heart, 3rd = diamond, 4th = cub

1. anti-theft device [Club]
3. club sandwich
4. country club
5. The Tell-Tale Heart
7. Ann and Nancy Wilson [Heart]
8. 4 H Club
9. Mickey Mouse club
10. neutered [spayed/spade]
11. Heartbreak Hotel
12. Neil Young's only number one song [Heart of Gold]
13. Blue Diamond almonds
14. Old Maid [usually the Queen of Clubs, but could also be here for the overall theme of cards]
15. shovel [Spade]
17. cloverleaf [Club]
18. Arizona baseball team [Diamondbacks]
19. cardiologist [heart doctor]
20. Tom Petty's group [Heartbreakers]
21. irons and woods [Clubs]
22. compressed carbon [Diamond]
23. open heart surgery
25. nightstick [Club]
29. heart attack
30. good old boys club
32. Diamond Jim Brady
33. hearts of palm
34. club soda
35. one stone studs [kind of diamond earrings]
36. parallelogram [diamond-shaped]
37. John Hughes movie [The Breakfast Club]
40. acid reflux [heartburn]
41. Shoot the Moon [Hearts]
42. Rules of Engagement Actor [David Spade]
43. Sweet Caroline singer [Neil Diamond]
44. Seventh 007 movie [Diamonds Are Forever; triple-x is apparently the Russian equivalent of double-o in the Bond universe]
45. Shine on, You Crazy Diamond
47. clubhouse
49. Valentine [Heart]

Estonut
Evil Genius

#18 Post by Estonut » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:45 pm

TheConfessor wrote:38 Baseball diamond
Not sure about this one. Diamond should have been clued as "4th." I think it's just "field." The writer(s) missed an opportunity to include both the diamond or the club theme.
Groucho Marx

plasticene

#19 Post by plasticene » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:44 pm

Got a few more:

2 Glass Cutter [Diamond]
16 Sierra Club
24 cubic zirconium [pseudo-diamond]
26 DeBeers [diamond company]
27 engagement ring [diamond]
31 I Love New York [heart]
46 artichoke heart
48 Humphrey Bogart role [Sam Spade]
50 Purple Heart

Only three left!

6 Wasp Legume X They
28 Forgot Scotland Statehouse
39 Fairytalecharacter Slice

plasticene

#20 Post by plasticene » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:50 am

Sorry for not letting it die, but got one more:

6. BPOE [club]

Estonut
Evil Genius

#21 Post by Estonut » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:52 am

plasticene wrote:Sorry for not letting it die, but got one more:

6. BPOE [club]
This one was driving me nuts. I figured it had to be bee & pea, but the X really threw me. Now that I see this, I can't believe I didn't think of the Elle King song. At first, I couldn't get enough of it. Eventually, it was so overplayed here that I got a little sick of it. Still a great song, though.

Elle King - Ex's & Oh's (Official Video)
Groucho Marx

winegreg

#22 Post by winegreg » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:25 pm

Hi: I'm Baaaack
39. Princess Cut (Diamond)