What Are You Reading? - Spring Edition

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
MarkBarrett

What Are You Reading? - Spring Edition

#1 Post by MarkBarrett » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:58 pm

I enjoyed the previous thread, so I'll start a new one for the current season.

The sample quiz I've included should tell you all you need to know about the book. Of course the author may be enough as well. :)

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: What Are You Reading? - Spring Edition

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:00 pm

I'm more than 30 books behind on my to-be-read list, but I've finally made it to Go Set a Watchman. I haven't yet reached the part that made it controversial. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Ritterskoop

#3 Post by Ritterskoop » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:38 pm

Just started Eleanor vs. Ike, an alternative history in which Roosevelt is on Truman's 1952 ticket and he dies during the campaign and she takes over. Or something.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#4 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:56 am

Gallows Thief by Bernard Cornwell. An murder mystery set in London shortly after the end of the Napoleonic Wars

I enjoyed it.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

Ritterskoop

#5 Post by Ritterskoop » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:50 pm

OK, this makes more sense than whatever I posted earlier, about Eleanor vs. Ike.

Stevenson dies at the convention and Eleanor Roosevelt is nominated: because they can't agree on anyone else, because she was an Adlai supporter, and because she can get the anti-McCarthy message out even if she loses.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#6 Post by Vandal » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:09 am

Just started:

Lee Child makes it looks so easy.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Spock

#7 Post by Spock » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:39 am

"The Naturalist" by Darrin Lunde. About TR's collecting of specimens for museums and so forth.

In my world there are a lot of books and magazine articles about TR's hunting and conservation/outdoor interests and so forth.

"The Naturalist" seems to be a unique take and it is a hard book to put down. Author is a museum collector so looks at him from that angle.

Bob Juch

#8 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:41 pm

This is the third book in my friend's series:

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#9 Post by SportsFan68 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:27 pm

Book Club A is reading The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie. I love this book! I read it almost as soon as this year's reading list was out. I know Our Hero lives in the Pacific Northwest, but everything that happens could easily happen in Navajo country.

Book Club B is reading Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi. I got through the first 50 pages or so and turned it back into the Library. Call it what you want, I just couldn't read any more. If the point was to make me flinch about what people do to each other in this world, I got it.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

gsabc

#10 Post by gsabc » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:17 pm

Reading - All the Wrong Todays by Elan Mastai

Listening (via Audible) - 36 Books That Changed the World from The Great Courses. Just before that, completed The Collapsing Empire by John Scalzi in two days, then got an autographed hardcopy at a local independent bookstore where he made a tour appearance and read the opening chapter from his next book (sequel to Lock In).
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

Ritterskoop

#11 Post by Ritterskoop » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:55 pm

Just finished Pat Conroy's posthumously-published A Lowcountry Heart, which is mostly blog entries he wrote over the final few years of his life. There is also the eulogy and similar items.
--------

Ritterskoop

#12 Post by Ritterskoop » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:58 pm

I can't so much recommend Eleanor vs Ike unless you are a big Eleanor fan. The alternative history aspect of it is good, but it eventually ends up being just a little too fawning, even for me. The author is respectful of Stevenson and Eisenhower; that's not the problem. I just remember finishing it and putting it in the pile for my folks with a warning note.

it's also a quick read, so there's that.
--------

Catfish

#13 Post by Catfish » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:51 am

audible: 4 3 2 1
kindle: Strangers Tend to Tell Me Things
email: Middlemarch
Catfish