Transcript 3/10/2017 - Ariel Malone

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 3/10/2017 - Ariel Malone

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:21 am

Ariel Malone
Las Vegas, NV
chef

Ariel won Season 15 of "Hell's Kitchen" and is now the head chef of Gordon Ramsey's BLT Steak in Las Vegas. She got her first job at a restaurant in New Jersey and told the manager she wanted to earn money to attend culinary school. The manager talked her out of it and mentored her. Ariel is playing for the Dreamville Foundation, a group that works with children providing mentorships, back-to-school clothing drives. She says if she wins the million everyone in the audience gets a free filet. Her +1 is her big brother Barnett.

$500: Acording to an article on NationalGeographic.com, in an "Exorcist-style display," owls compensate for their fixed eyes by doing what?
A - turning their head 270 degrees
B - vomiting green goo
C - hooting in a creepy voice
D - allying themselves with Satan
Spoiler
Answer: A (turning their head 270 degrees)
$1000: "Swedish", "Thai", and "hot stone" are three of the most popular varieties of what?
A - necktie
B - massage
C - puppet show
D - banjo

Ariel says she could use one.
Spoiler
Answer: B (massage)
$2000: Perhaps proving that you get what you pay for, 75% of all cars made by what company founded in 1906 are still on the road today?
A - Fiat
B - Ford
C - Rolls-Royce
D - Volkswagon

Ariel says she doesn't know much about cars but she does know that
Spoiler
Rolls-Royce
is the most expensive.
Spoiler
Answer: C (Rolls-Royce)
commercial break

Ariel didn't realize the fame that would come with winning on "Hell's Kitchen". She says people stop her in the street and recognize her, or they see her in the restaurant and want to take selfies.

$3000: Recorded by a native son, what song used in many of Jamaica's tourism campaigns has the New York Times dubbed its "unofficial national anthem"?
A - Stand By Me
B - Joy To The World
C - Imagine
D - One Love
Spoiler
Answer: D (One Love)
$5000: Though they all may seem fitting, which of these real phobias is the only one that's correctly matched with the things its sufferers fear?
A - cryophobia: fear of whining babies
B - doraphobia: fear of animated explorers
C - triskaidekaphobia: fear of Triscuits
D - zoophobia: fear of animals

Ariel immediately rules out
Spoiler
A, B and C, saying that A isn't specific to babies
. She also says that if the answer is
Spoiler
B she's going to write a letter to Nickelodeon
Spoiler
Answer: D (zoophobia: fear of animals)

Chris says that doraphobia is a fear of fur.
$7000: Though it's now possible thanks to a 2015 rule change, what US sports league has never seen a game where either team has had a score of 1?
A - NBA
B - NFL
C - NHL
D - MLB

Ariel isn't a sports fan. She says it can't be
Spoiler
B because that would mean only one free throw
. She opts to ask the audience.
Ask the Audience results:
A - 19%
B - 54%
C - 18%
D - 9%
Spoiler
Answer: B (NFL)
commercial break

$10,000: Founded in 2004, which of these companies has a stock ticker symbol that's the same as its name?
A - Amazon
B - YouTube
C - Boeing
D - Yelp

Ariel doesn't know much about the stock market but she thinks that
Spoiler
stock symbols are 4 letters or less
Spoiler
Answer: D (Yelp)
$20,000: Often called the best medicine, studies do show that laughter reduces the body's production of what stress hormone?
A - melatonin
B - thyroxine
C - insulin
D - cortisol

Ariel says she feels like she's said
Spoiler
"D" a lot. She thinks melatonin is related to sleep, then corrects herself - "no, that's seratonin"
Spoiler
Answer: D (cortisol)
MILLIONAIRE "QUESTION OF THE DAY" Which of these movies was released in Montreal with the French title "Les Girls de Las Vegas"?:
A - Mean Girls
B - Kiss the Girls
C - Uptown Girls
D - Showgirls
Spoiler
Answer: D (Showgirls)
commercial break

$30,000: Though born in VA, what actress spent her childhood in Nuremburg, where she performed in an opera at age 5, and still speaks fluent German to this day?
A - Julianne Moore
B - Sandra Bullock
C - Charlize Theron
D - Jody Foster

Ariel says her gut has an answer but she wants to confirm it so she uses her 50:50.
50:50 results:
A and B
She's glad she didn't go with her gut because her answer isn't up there. She makes
Spoiler
A
her final answer.
Spoiler
Answer: B (Sandra Bullock)
END OF SHOW "NOISE"
Last edited by BBTranscriptTeam on Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

earendel

Re: Transcript 3/10/2017 - Ariel Malone

#2 Post by earendel » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:54 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Ariel Malone
Las Vegas, NV
chef

Ariel won Season 15 of "Hell's Kitchen" and is now the head chef of Gordon Ramsey's BLT Steak in Las Vegas. She got her first job at a restaurant in New Jersey and told the manager she wanted to earn money to attend culinary school. The manager talked her out of it and mentored her. Ariel is playing for the Dreamville Foundation, a group that works with children providing mentorships, back-to-school clothing drives. She says if the wins the million everyone in the audience gets a free filet. Her +1 is her big brother Barnett.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$7000: Though it's now possible thanks to a 2015 rule change, what US sports league has never seen a game where either team has had a score of 1?
A - NBA
B - NFL
C - NHL
D - MLB

Ariel isn't a sports fan. She says it can't be
Spoiler
B because that would mean only one free throw
. She opts to ask the audience.
Spoiler
Ask the Audience results:
A - 19%
B - 54%
C - 18%
D - 9%
Spoiler
Answer:
I've never heard of an NBA game that had a team scoring only 1 point, but I guess there must have been.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$30,000: Though born in VA, what actress spent her childhood in Nuremburg, where she performed in an opera at age 5, and still speaks fluent German to this day?
A - Julianne Moore
B - Sandra Bullock
C - Charlize Theron
D - Jody Foster

Ariel says her gut has an answer but she wants to confirm it so she uses her 50:50.
[spoiler="50:50 results":]A and B[/spoiler]
She's glad she didn't go with her gut because her answer isn't up there. She makes
Spoiler
A
her final answer.
Spoiler
I would have to burn lifelines on this one and hope for the best.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

ghostjmf

#3 Post by ghostjmf » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:21 am

7K: ATA

10K: only YELP is short enough

30K: Got this from bios of Bullock when she stars in hit movies, adopts a kid; her mom was an opera singer

I liked this contestant & wanted her to go farther
Last edited by ghostjmf on Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlphaDummy
Mr. Top Ten

#4 Post by AlphaDummy » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:31 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $7000: Though it's now possible thanks to a 2015 rule change, what US sports league has never seen a game where either team has had a score of 1?
A - NBA
B - NFL
C - NHL
D - MLB
Correct me if I am wrong...but how could this be possible? I assume that they are referring to the one-point safety rule here. However, this only comes into play on a conversion attempt after a touchdown:
If the defense gets the ball in the field of play on a conversion attempt, and then a defensive player takes the ball into his own end zone and is tackled, the result will be a one-point safety: The offensive team will get one point.
But the offensive team has already scored six points on the touchdown; therefore, a score of one point (I assume that they mean "final score" here) is impossible under this scenario.

Boooooooooo.

(Edit: It would not even have to be a final score; there is no way to have one point on the board at any point in the game, for the reason laid out above. And the "any point in the game" qualification, now that I think about it, relates to the NBA within this question as well; I see the all-time record low final score for one NBA team as eighteen points. So the writer must have had that qualification in mind while writing the question...)
Last edited by AlphaDummy on Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Again" - Herb Brooks (as played by Kurt Russell)

andrewjackson

#5 Post by andrewjackson » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:46 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$7000: Though it's now possible thanks to a 2015 rule change, what US sports league has never seen a game where either team has had a score of 1?
A - NBA
B - NFL
C - NHL
D - MLB
Spoiler
This is referring to the NFL rule change when they started allowing point after attempts to be returned by the defense for 2 points. It also became possible for the defense to to get the ball on a PAT but then retreat into their own end zone for a safety. That conversion safety would be worth 1 point to the offensive team but that would be in addition to the touchdown scored so they would have more than 1 point. However, since they basically also made the conversion into a live ball play the offense could theoretically retreat all the way to their own endzone, give up a safety, and the defense would get just 1 point out of the play. The rule is now written to allow that. In the past when the conversion was a dead ball play that offensive safety could have occurred but it would not have resulted in points for the defense.

1 point is possible in an NBA game. A player could only make one of two free throws or technical fouls can result in one free throw awarded. I don't think it has ever happened but there was no rule change in 2015 that started allowing it. A forfeit in the NBA might be 1-0. I don't see it in the rule book. A college basketball forfeit is 2-0.
EDIT:
Spoiler
I just reread the question and realized that they were not asking about a final score. So, of course, an NBA team could easily have a total of 1 point during the game.
Last edited by andrewjackson on Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
No matter where you go, there you are.

andrewjackson

#6 Post by andrewjackson » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:49 am

AlphaDummy wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $7000: Though it's now possible thanks to a 2015 rule change, what US sports league has never seen a game where either team has had a score of 1?
A - NBA
B - NFL
C - NHL
D - MLB
Correct me if I am wrong...but how could this be possible? I assume that they are referring to the one-point safety rule here. However, this only comes into play on a conversion attempt after a touchdown:
If the defense gets the ball in the field of play on a conversion attempt, and then a defensive player takes the ball into his own end zone and is tackled, the result will be a one-point safety: The offensive team will get one point.
But the offensive team has already scored six points on the touchdown; therefore, a score of one point (I assume that they mean "final score" here) is impossible under this scenario.

Boooooooooo.

(Edit: It would not even have to be a final score; there is no way to have one point on the board at any point in the game, for the reason laid out above. And the "any point in the game" qualification, now that I think about it, relates to the NBA within this question as well; I see the all-time record low final score for one NBA team as eighteen points. So the writer must have had that qualification in mind while writing the question...)
I posted about this but the new
Spoiler
NFL rule allows for a 1 point safety allowed by the offense on a conversion giving a single point to the defense.

This is the clause in the new rule that allows it: (c) If the Try results in what would ordinarily be a safety against either team, one point is awarded to the opponent.
No matter where you go, there you are.

AlphaDummy
Mr. Top Ten

#7 Post by AlphaDummy » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:01 am

andrewjackson wrote:
AlphaDummy wrote:
A - NBA
B - NFL
C - NHL
D - MLB

Boooooooooo.

I posted about this but the new
Spoiler
NFL rule allows for a 1 point safety allowed by the offense on a conversion giving a single point to the defense.

This is the clause in the new rule that allows it: (c) If the Try results in what would ordinarily be a safety against either team, one point is awarded to the opponent.
Goodness. <head explodes> Thanks for the clarification!
"Again" - Herb Brooks (as played by Kurt Russell)

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#8 Post by SportsFan68 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:41 am

$3000: Recorded by a native son, what song used in many of Jamaica's tourism campaigns has the New York Times dubbed its "unofficial national anthem"?
A - Stand By Me
B - Joy To The World
C - Imagine
D - One Love
Spoiler
Answer: D (One Love)
ATA
$30,000: Though born in VA, what actress spent her childhood in Nuremburg, where she performed in an opera at age 5, and still speaks fluent German to this day?
A - Julianne Moore
B - Sandra Bullock
C - Charlize Theron
D - Jody Foster

50:50 results:
A and B
Spoiler
A
her final answer.
Spoiler
I throw every lifeline I've got left at this one.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller