Aaron Hernandez

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Pastor Fireball

Aaron Hernandez

#1 Post by Pastor Fireball » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:08 am

Former New England Patriot and convicted murderer committed suicide in his prison cell early this morning, just days after being found not guilty of two other murders.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2017/ ... story.html
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

ghostjmf

Re: Aaron Hernandez

#2 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:05 am

Well, I hadn't turned on the news this morning, & I don't subscribe to newsfeeds (I have enough e-mail harrassment) so I really did "hear it here" 1st.

I would have convicted him of the murders in the most recent trial, based on the evidence I heard, but I was not on the jury.

Hernandez is a very big story here in Boston.

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:49 am

This following story is of much more importance:

Prosecutors will drop thousands of cases in Dookhan scandal

Prosecutors across the state on Tuesday said they would collectively throw out more than 20,000 cases that relied on evidence handled by a disgraced drug lab chemist, Annie Dookhan.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#4 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:32 am

Pastor Fireball wrote:Former New England Patriot and convicted murderer committed suicide in his prison cell early this morning, just days after being found not guilty of two other murders.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2017/ ... story.html
Couldn't have happened to a more deserving guy.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Vandal
Director of Promos

#5 Post by Vandal » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:55 am

From the Mass Bar Association: Under Mass law, Aaron Hernandez's murder conviction gets vacated since he died before his appeal was exhausted.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

jarnon

#6 Post by jarnon » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:16 am

Vandal wrote:From the Mass Bar Association: Under Mass law, Aaron Hernandez's murder conviction gets vacated since he died before his appeal was exhausted.
Odin Lloyd's family sued Hernandez for wrongful death. His other alleged victims' families may sue his estate. If his estate is larger because he's not a convicted felon, the families (and their lawyers) have a bigger pot to go after.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

ghostjmf

#7 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:13 pm

According to the local experts, Lloyd's family will essentially have to retry the case, instead of just referring to the guilty verdict. And the other families don't even have a guilty verdict to rebuild.

Of course, neither did OJ's victims' families, & they won damages.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#8 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:47 pm

I wonder if his death makes his retirement accounts subjest to creditor's claims
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

SpacemanSpiff

#9 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:11 pm

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:I wonder if his death makes his retirement accounts subjest to creditor's claims
By retirement accounts, if you mean his NFL pension, that's a non-event. Like most pensions, you die, it's over (unless it's some kind of joint-and-survivor setup, which I doubt he had).

If he had anything like personal IRAs, I would suspect they may or not be in play, depending upon how things were set up. If they would go to a person as a beneficiary, that's outside of the estate so I'd say no. If it's not and just goes into his general estate, it well might. But that's my (limited) logic on this, and law is often illogical.
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

Vandal
Director of Promos

#10 Post by Vandal » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:19 am

Oops!

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

Bob Juch

#11 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:26 am

Apparently CTE is being blamed for his problems.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#12 Post by Vandal » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:04 am

Bob Juch wrote:Apparently CTE is being blamed for his problems.

More than likely, it's his G-A-N-G.
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

Vandal
Director of Promos

#13 Post by Vandal » Tue May 09, 2017 10:39 am

Aaron Hernandez’s conviction for the 2013 murder of Odin Lloyd officially was vacated Tuesday by Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court Judge E. Susan Garsh.

Hernandez’s appeal of his conviction had yet to be heard by the court when the former New England Patriots tight end committed suicide in his jail cell last month. By Massachusetts law, a conviction must be abated if the defendant dies before his or her appeal is settled.

Hernandez was found not guilty in the double murder of Daniel de Abreu and Safiro Furtado just days before his death.

Sports Illustrated legal expert Michael McCann explained last week why getting Hernandez’s conviction abated would be “good news for Hernandez’s estate”:

“If Hernandez’s convictions are vacated, those convictions can no longer be used in civil lawsuits filed by the families of Hernandez’s victims and his alleged victims. Family members of Lloyd, de Abreu and Furtado all have wrongful death claims pending against Hernandez’s estate. In a wrongful death lawsuit, the victim’s family must prove by a preponderance of evidence (more likely than not) that the defendant’s negligence caused the killing of the family member.

“The burden in a wrongful death lawsuit is far lower than in a criminal prosecution, where guilt beyond a reasonable doubt is required. If, as prosecutors demand, abatement is denied, Hernandez’s conviction in murdering Lloyd would make it nearly certain for Lloyd’s mother, Ursula Ward, to prevail. Also, even though Hernandez was not convicted of murdering de Abreu and Furtado, some of the evidence from that prosecution would be admissible in a civil trial if abatement does not occur.”

The abatement also could allow Hernandez’s family to recoup some or all of the $5.91 million in guaranteed money the Patriots withheld from Hernandez after his arrest.
http://nesn.com/2017/05/aaron-hernandez ... rt-ruling/
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

Estonut
Evil Genius

#14 Post by Estonut » Tue May 09, 2017 7:42 pm

Vandal wrote:
Aaron Hernandez’s conviction for the 2013 murder of Odin Lloyd officially was vacated Tuesday by Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court Judge E. Susan Garsh.

Hernandez’s appeal of his conviction had yet to be heard by the court when the former New England Patriots tight end committed suicide in his jail cell last month. By Massachusetts law, a conviction must be abated if the defendant dies before his or her appeal is settled.

Hernandez was found not guilty in the double murder of Daniel de Abreu and Safiro Furtado just days before his death.

Sports Illustrated legal expert Michael McCann explained last week why getting Hernandez’s conviction abated would be “good news for Hernandez’s estate”:

“If Hernandez’s convictions are vacated, those convictions can no longer be used in civil lawsuits filed by the families of Hernandez’s victims and his alleged victims. Family members of Lloyd, de Abreu and Furtado all have wrongful death claims pending against Hernandez’s estate. In a wrongful death lawsuit, the victim’s family must prove by a preponderance of evidence (more likely than not) that the defendant’s negligence caused the killing of the family member.

“The burden in a wrongful death lawsuit is far lower than in a criminal prosecution, where guilt beyond a reasonable doubt is required. If, as prosecutors demand, abatement is denied, Hernandez’s conviction in murdering Lloyd would make it nearly certain for Lloyd’s mother, Ursula Ward, to prevail. Also, even though Hernandez was not convicted of murdering de Abreu and Furtado, some of the evidence from that prosecution would be admissible in a civil trial if abatement does not occur.”

The abatement also could allow Hernandez’s family to recoup some or all of the $5.91 million in guaranteed money the Patriots withheld from Hernandez after his arrest.
http://nesn.com/2017/05/aaron-hernandez ... rt-ruling/
The abatement should not be allowed in the case of the convict's suicide.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

jarnon

#15 Post by jarnon » Tue May 09, 2017 8:23 pm

Estonut wrote:The abatement should not be allowed in the case of the convict's suicide.
In civilized societies, death is considered sufficient punishment for any crime. And Hernandez's estate is still vulnerable to civil suits.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#16 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:01 am

He had severe CTE. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Vandal
Director of Promos

#17 Post by Vandal » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:59 am

Court reinstates Hernandez's murder conviction
Massachusetts' highest court on Wednesday reinstated the late Aaron Hernandez's murder conviction, which was erased after the former New England Patriots tight end killed himself in prison.

The Supreme Judicial Court also scrapped the legal principle that wiped out Hernandez's conviction for future cases, calling it "outdated and no longer consonant with the circumstances of contemporary life."
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2624 ... conviction
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

Bob Juch

#18 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:21 pm

Vandal wrote:Court reinstates Hernandez's murder conviction
Massachusetts' highest court on Wednesday reinstated the late Aaron Hernandez's murder conviction, which was erased after the former New England Patriots tight end killed himself in prison.

The Supreme Judicial Court also scrapped the legal principle that wiped out Hernandez's conviction for future cases, calling it "outdated and no longer consonant with the circumstances of contemporary life."
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2624 ... conviction
I think W is the longest consonant. :P