South African hunter ‘eaten by crocodiles’ in Zimbabwe

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

South African hunter ‘eaten by crocodiles’ in Zimbabwe

#1 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:17 pm

Crocodiles are thought to have eaten a South African hunter after human remains were found inside two animals.

Scott van Zyl disappeared last week after he went on a hunting safari in Zimbabwe.

. . .

The SS Pro Safaris website, owned by Mr van Zyl, states the company "has conducted numerous safaris" throughout Southern Africa. These include "elephants in Botswana to the smallest blue duiker in KwaZulu Natal".

It goes on to list buffalo, rhino, lions, leopards and antelopes as targets for hunts.
Full article: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 90431.html
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Spock

Re: South African hunter ‘eaten by crocodiles’ in Zimbabwe

#2 Post by Spock » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:31 pm

I have been following this for a few days and in an odd way, it is on-topic for WWTBAM.

Some may remember my beef with a WWTBAM question that asked which animal kills more people in Africa-Hippos or Crocs.

The answer they gave was "Hippos" but I am still holding solid that the answer should have been "Crocs."

So chalk one up for the crocs.

This has to be some kind of record, for beating a dead river horse.

Oh, and speaking of hippos-there is a new fantasy/alt-history type book coming out soon called:
"River of Teeth." It is based on the plan of (among others) Frederick Russell Burnham -(my hero-Isn't he just dreamy?) to bring hippos to the Bayous.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MRJW3OS/re ... TF8&btkr=1
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>"Sarah Gailey's wildfire debut River of Teeth is a rollicking alternate history adventure that Charlie Jane Anders calls "preposterously fun."

In the early 20th Century, the United States government concocted a plan to import hippopotamuses into the marshlands of Louisiana to be bred and slaughtered as an alternative meat source. This is true.

Other true things about hippos: they are savage, they are fast, and their jaws can snap a man in two.

This was a terrible plan.

Contained within this volume is an 1890s America that might have been: a bayou overrun by feral hippos and mercenary hippo wranglers from around the globe. It is the story of Winslow Houndstooth and his crew. It is the story of their fortunes. It is the story of his revenge.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:43 pm

Spock wrote:In the early 20th Century, the United States government concocted a plan to import hippopotamuses into the marshlands of Louisiana to be bred and slaughtered as an alternative meat source. This is true.
I remember reading about that in Wired. It's online: https://www.wired.com/2013/12/hippopotamus-ranching/
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#4 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:37 pm

Bob Juch wrote: The SS Pro Safaris website, owned by Mr van Zyl, states the company "has conducted numerous safaris" throughout Southern Africa.
I wonder if the crocodiles had to sign up for a safari to hunt Mr. van Zyl.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob Juch

#5 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:19 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Bob Juch wrote: The SS Pro Safaris website, owned by Mr van Zyl, states the company "has conducted numerous safaris" throughout Southern Africa.
I wonder if the crocodiles had to sign up for a safari to hunt Mr. van Zyl.
They have lifetime memberships.

jarnon

#6 Post by jarnon » Sun May 21, 2017 8:40 pm

Mr. van Zyl's colleague, Theunis Botha, died Friday in Zimbabwe. His hunting party came across a group of pregnant elephant cows. One elephant picked Botha up with her trunk. Another hunter shot her, but she fell onto Botha, killing him.

Hunter dies after elephant falls on him

Hunter killed in Gwayi
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי