Game #167: Ready for My Close-Up

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
winegreg

Re: Game #167: Ready for My Close-Up

#26 Post by winegreg » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:26 pm

56. Murphey's Romance

winegreg

#27 Post by winegreg » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:41 pm

One more
116. Eight Legged Freaks

mrkelley23

#28 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:04 pm

The small mistake in the title is one of my pet peeves, actually, or at least I assume so. Alec Guinness' symbol of empire wasn't the bridge OVER the River Kwai; it was the bridge ON the River Kwai.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

silverscreenselect

#29 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:06 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:The small mistake in the title is one of my pet peeves, actually, or at least I assume so. Alec Guinness' symbol of empire wasn't the bridge OVER the River Kwai; it was the bridge ON the River Kwai.
By the end of the movie, it was the bridge IN the River Kwai.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

mellytu74

#30 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:24 pm

A couple...

84. “He'll buy that boat from that stupid boat catalog he's been making me look at for the last two months, and he will crash that boat off Catalina Island, and he will drown and die and seals will eat him”

LOST IN AMERICA

127. Clark Griswold did his bumbling dad shtick. Mountain McClintock did his tough guy shtick. Nobody came to see it.

COPS AND ROBBERSONS

128. “We're alike. I, too, believe that everyone should have a chance at a breathtaking piece of folly once in his life. I was twenty when they said a woman couldn't swim the Channel.”

I just heard this and couldn't place it. It was last weekend,

Anne Revere in NATIONAL VELVET.

silverscreenselect

#31 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:50 pm

franktangredi wrote:
15. One of the actors referenced in Clue #11 had previously received the first of his two Oscar nomination for this film.
THIS SPORTING LIFE

Burton had a lot more than two Oscar nominations.

kroxquo

#32 Post by kroxquo » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:38 pm

I know I'm late to the party but I'll see what I can chip in. I haven't looked at any of the other answers yet.

1. This comedy was not even included on the first AFI list of “100 Years … 100 Movies,” but on the 10th Anniversary List, it showed up in 18th place – the second-highest ranking for any silent film

The General?

5. Reportedly, the studio considered filming two different endings to this socially conscious comedy, to test which of its two leading men audiences preferred to see wind up with Jean Arthur.

6. “I am the one that runs from both the living and the dead. Hunted by scavengers, haunted by those I could not protect. So I exist in this wasteland, reduced to one instinct: survive.”

Mad Max Fury Road

9. Many of the scenes in this movie were filmed through a mirror, since the actor playing the lead role couldn’t quite manage to live up to the title of the movie.

Pride of the Yankees. Gary Cooper hit right and Gehrig hit left

17. For his role in this movie, Bob Dylan was nominated for a Golden Turkey Award for Worst Performance by a Singer. (He lost to Tony Bennett.)

Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid

20. “Those morons out there? Shucks, I could take chicken fertilizer and sell it to them as caviar. I could make them eat dog food and think it was steak. Sure, I got 'em like this. You know what the public's like? A cage of guinea pigs. Good night you stupid idiots. Good night, you miserable slobs. They're a lot of trained seals. I toss them a dead fish and they'll flap their flippers.”

A Face in the Crowd?

24. “So, you're a werewolf?”
“Yeah, last time I checked.”

An American Werewolf in London

26. “That guy was hurting me. If you hadn't come out when you did, he would've hurt me a lot worse. And probably nothing would've happened to him 'cause everybody did see me dancin' with him all night. They would've made out like I'd asked for it. My life would've been ruined a whole lot worse than it is now. At least now I'm havin' some fun. And I'm not sorry that son of a bitch is dead. I'm just sorry it was you that did it and not me.”

Thelma & Louise

31. This financially successful 1974 movie sequel was cited by Harry Medved as one of The Fifty Worst Films of All Time. (Surprisingly, its star/writer/director did not kick Medved’s butt.)

The Trial of Billy Jack

45. Speaking of flops and nude scenes, the troubled making of this musical inspired a later film in which another English actress famously bared her breasts.

The later film was probably S.O.B.

50. “You are probably going to be a very successful computer person. But you're going to go through life thinking that girls don't like you because you're a nerd. And I want you to know, from the bottom of my heart, that that won't be true. It'll be because you're an a**hole.”

The Social Network?

54. “I can't go on! No food, no water. It's all my fault. We're done for! It's got me. I can't stand it! No food, nothing! No food, no water! No food!”
“What's the matter with you, anyway? There's New York. We'll be picked up in a few minutes. ”
“You had to open your big mouth and ruin the only good scene I got in the picture. I might have won the Academy Award!”

One of the Hope-Crosby Road Pictures

57. This French film was based on a real-life case of identity theft – sixteenth century style.

The Return of Martin Guerre?

60. “What if at a key moment in the game, my uniform bursts open and, uh, oops, my bosoms come flying out? That, that might draw a crowd, right?”
“You think there are men in this country who ain't seen your bosoms?”

A League of Their Own

62. “This is very old wine. I hope you will like it.”
“Aren’t you drinking?”
“I never drink – wine.”

Dracula

70. “I came here to die with you. Or live with you. Dying ain't hard for men like you and me. It's living that's hard when all you've ever cared about has been butchered or raped.”

Gladiator

83. This film earned its star a ton of Best Actress awards, including an Oscar, a Golden Globe, an Independent Spirit Award, a BAFTA, a Teen Choice Award, and a Saturn Award.

Silver Linings Playbook?

85. This film is retroactively considered the first part of a trilogy that also includes Shame and The Passion of Anna.

Intolerance?

98. “And now, ladies and gentlemen, before I tell you any more, I'm going to show you the greatest thing your eyes have ever beheld. He was a king and a god in the world he knew, but now he comes to civilization merely a captive - a show to gratify your curiosity.”

King Kong

106. “I need you to help me make a fake movie.”
“You came to the right place.”

Argo

112. “You humans are very curious to us. You invite us to live among you in an atmosphere of equality that we've never known before. You give us ownership of our own lives for the first time and you ask no more of us than you do of yourselves. I hope you understand how special your world is, how unique a people you humans are. Which is why it is all the more painful and confusing to us that so few of you seem capable of living up to the ideals you set for yourselves.”

Alien Nation?

115. Nine members of the cast of this Shakespearean film had either already won or would later go on to win Oscars.

Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet?

125. Angela Lansbury considers her role in this movie, in which she played the mother of an actor only nine years younger than herself, one of the worst of her career.

Manchurian Candidate

131. This was the only Meryl Streep movie to win an Oscar for Best Visual Effects.

Death Becomes Her

132. “I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?”

Stand By Me

133. One of the biggest bones of contention in the 2015 #oscarssowhite kerfuffle was the failure of this movie to receive any Oscar nominations except for its white screenwriters.

Selma

138. “I can't go all my life waiting to catch you between husbands.”

Gone With the Wind
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#33 Post by frogman042 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:16 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:The small mistake in the title is one of my pet peeves, actually, or at least I assume so. Alec Guinness' symbol of empire wasn't the bridge OVER the River Kwai; it was the bridge ON the River Kwai.
By the end of the movie, it was the bridge IN the River Kwai.
Hey, how 'bout a spoiler tag! :evil:

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#34 Post by SportsFan68 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:35 pm

2. “Hey, what are you doin'?”
“Stealin' your woman.”
“Take her.”

Melly's question mark is not necessary; this is Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Pastor Fireball

#35 Post by Pastor Fireball » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:05 am

23. The leading character of this 2009 biographical film was also the main subject of the poem “Adonaïs.”

The poem was written about John Keats, so the film must be BRIGHT STAR.

29. Much of the action of this British thriller – which stars Margaret Lockwood and features the fanatical cricket fans Caldicott and Charters – takes place on a railway journey … but it’s not the one you’re thinking of.

Since it's not The Lady Vanishes, it has to be the later NIGHT TRAIN TO MUNICH.

39. In this movie sequel, John Walton, Sr., took on the role that had originally been played by the late Mortimer Duke.

Ralph Waite was John Walton, Sr., on "The Waltons". Don Ameche was Mortimer Duke in Trading Places. They both played the voice of Shadow the dog in HOMEWARD BOUND, so Frank wants the sequel--HOMEWARD BOUND II: LOST IN SAN FRANCISCO.
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

plasticene

#36 Post by plasticene » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:09 pm

95. The house that provided the setting and title for this 1975 documentary was subsequently purchased and renovated by Washington Post editor Ben Bradlee.

How about GREY GARDENS?

101. Set in Italy, this Italian-French adaptation a German novel starred an English actor as a German composer and a Swedish actor as a Polish adolescent. Got that?

DEATH IN VENICE. I've seen a trivia question very recently that used the same Italy setting/Italian-French production/German novel clues for the same answer, but I can't figure out where I saw it. I'm guessing nobody else remembers seeing it, or this question would have been answered sooner!

Maybe I just remember seeing this very question when it was posted, but I don't think I got to #101 before I gave up and went back to work.

Pastor Fireball

#37 Post by Pastor Fireball » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:17 am

28. “There are times since I've felt like the child born of those two fathers. But, be that as it may, those of us who did make it have an obligation to build again, to teach to others what we know, and to try with what's left of our lives to find a goodness and a meaning to this life.”

How did we miss this one? It's from PLATOON.

44. “This is a three billion dollar class action lawsuit. In the morning, I have to call my board. I have to tell them that the architect of our defense was arrested for running naked in the street.”

I just saw this movie the other day--MICHAEL CLAYTON.

76. “Jane, since I've met you, I've noticed things that I never knew were there before: birds singing, dew glistening on a newly formed leaf, stoplights….”

Ah... the much beloved and much missed Leslie Nielsen in THE NAKED GUN.

80. “Nobody does this to the United States. The President will get his baseball glove back and play catch with this guy's balls!”

AIR FORCE ONE

96. “I’m getting the hell out of here. Too goddamn sultry in here.”

Another one of my favorite comedies--THROW MOMMA FROM THE TRAIN.
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

silverscreenselect

#38 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:42 am

I don't have time to chase this down right now, but it occurs to me that there are a lot of well-known movie titles hidden inside a lot of these films.

WELLS FARGO = FARGO
CLEOPATRA JONES = CLEOPATRA
VANYA ON 42ND STREET = 42ND STREET
WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION = WITNESS
PATHS OF GLORY = GLORY
AMERICAN HUSTLE = HUSTLE
VALIANT IS THE WORD FOR CARRIE = CARRIE
THE EYES OF LAURA MARS = LAURA
THE HARVEY GIRLS = HARVEY
IN OLD CHICAGO = CHICAGO
THE OUTLAW JOSEY WALES = THE OUTLAW
STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER = STRIPES
MANHATTAN MELODRAMA = MANHATTAN
THROW MAMMA FROM THE TRAIN = THE TRAIN
NIGHT TRAIN TO MUNICH = MUNICH

Now, James Stewart is in FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX, so that matches with HARVEY.
Clifton Webb was in LAURA which matches with Stars and Stripes Forever
Harrison Ford was in AIR FORCE ONE which matches with WITNESS.

I'm sure there's lots more.

mellytu74

#39 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:13 am

silverscreenselect wrote:I don't have time to chase this down right now, but it occurs to me that there are a lot of well-known movie titles hidden inside a lot of these films.

WELLS FARGO = FARGO
CLEOPATRA JONES = CLEOPATRA
VANYA ON 42ND STREET = 42ND STREET
WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION = WITNESS
PATHS OF GLORY = GLORY
AMERICAN HUSTLE = HUSTLE
VALIANT IS THE WORD FOR CARRIE = CARRIE
THE EYES OF LAURA MARS = LAURA
THE HARVEY GIRLS = HARVEY
IN OLD CHICAGO = CHICAGO
THE OUTLAW JOSEY WALES = THE OUTLAW
STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER = STRIPES
MANHATTAN MELODRAMA = MANHATTAN
THROW MAMMA FROM THE TRAIN = THE TRAIN
NIGHT TRAIN TO MUNICH = MUNICH

Now, James Stewart is in FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX, so that matches with HARVEY.
Clifton Webb was in LAURA which matches with Stars and Stripes Forever
Harrison Ford was in AIR FORCE ONE which matches with WITNESS.

I'm sure there's lots more.
Carrie
Sunrise
The Crowd
San Francisco
Michael
Network

mellytu74

#40 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:28 pm

Game #167: Ready for My Close-Up

Identify the 140 movies below. (Every other clue is a quotation.) Then, match them into 100 pairs according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself. Sixty movies will be used twice, each time in a different capacity.

This is my first take at these .... refinements may be needed.

21. I WANTED WINGS + 9. PRIDE OF THE YANKEES = Gary Cooper in Wings
54. ROAD TO MOROCCO + 135. RANCHO NOTORIOUS = Marlene Dietrich in Morocco
34. WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION + 80. AIR FORCE ONE = Harrison Ford in Witness
45. DARLING LILI + 115. HAMLET = Julie Christie in Darling
50. THE SOCIAL NETWORK + 59. THE EYES OF LAURA MARS = Faye Dunaway in Network
63. THE HARVEY GIRLS + 52. THE SHOP AROUND THE CORNER = Jimmy Stewart in Harvey
51. MOTHER WAS A FRESHMAN + 84. LOST IN AMERICA = Albert Brooks in Mother
43. THE GYPSY MOTHS +66. SPLENDOR IN THE GRASS = Natalie Wood in Gypsy
53. ROCK AROUND THE CLOCK + 63. THE HARVEY GIRLS = Judy Garland in The Clock
121. IN THE GOOD OLD SUMMERTIME + 134. THE PHILADELPHIA STORY = Katherine Hepburn in Summertime
79. THE BIG COUNTRY + 78. CATCH ME IF YOU CAN = Tom Hanks in Big
59. THE EYES OF LAURA MARS + 123. STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER = Clifton Webb in Laura
86. JULIE AND JULIA + 32. POSTCARDS FROM THE EDGE = Meryl Streep in Julia

Pastor Fireball

#41 Post by Pastor Fireball » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:18 am

New consolidation. Once we get an update from Frank, we can start deleting some of these clues.

Identify the 140 movies below. (Every other clue is a quotation.) Then, match them into 100 pairs according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself. Sixty movies will be used twice, each time in a different capacity.

There’s a lot here – I kept on finding more pairs, plus I wanted both the number of movies and the number of pairs to end in 0 – but the Tangredi is not hard, and I think most of the matches will go down pretty easily without reference to IMDB.

PAIRS (13 of 100)
43. THE GYPSY MOTHS + 66. SPLENDOR IN THE GRASS = Natalie Wood in Gypsy
59. THE EYES OF LAURA MARS + 123. STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER = Clifton Webb in Laura
121. IN THE GOOD OLD SUMMERTIME + 134. THE PHILADELPHIA STORY = Katherine Hepburn in Summertime

PARTIALS
20. A FACE IN THE CROWD = THE CROWD
25. VALIANT IS THE WORD FOR CARRIE = CARRIE
29. NIGHT TRAIN TO MUNICH = MUNICH
33. WELLS FARGO = FARGO
38. PATHS OF GLORY = GLORY
39. HOMEWARD BOUND II: LOST IN SAN FRANCISCO = SAN FRANCISCO
44. MICHAEL CLAYTON = MICHAEL
46. NORTH BY NORTHWEST = NORTH
58. BEFORE SUNRISE = SUNRISE
64. IN OLD CHICAGO = CHICAGO
65. CLEOPATRA JONES = CLEOPATRA
70. THE OUTLAW JOSEY WALES = THE OUTLAW
81. VANYA ON 42ND STREET = 42ND STREET
82. AMERICAN HUSTLE = HUSTLE
87. MANHATTAN MELODRAMA = MANHATTAN
93. HOLLYWOOD CAVALCADE = CAVALCADE
96. THROW MAMMA FROM THE TRAIN = THE TRAIN
123. STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER = STRIPES

1. This comedy was not even included on the first AFI list of “100 Years … 100 Movies,” but on the 10th Anniversary List, it showed up in 18th place – the second-highest ranking for any silent film
THE GENERAL?

“Stealin' your woman.”
“Take her.”
BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID

3. This influential New Wave film consists entirely of a conversation between a French actress and a Japanese architect)
HIROSHIMA, MON AMOR?

4. “By Gad, sir, you are a character. There's never any telling what you'll say or do next, except that it's bound to be something astonishing.”
THE MALTESE FALCON

5. Reportedly, the studio considered filming two different endings to this socially conscious comedy, to test which of its two leading men audiences preferred to see wind up with Jean Arthur.
TALK OF THE TOWN?

6. “I am the one that runs from both the living and the dead. Hunted by scavengers, haunted by those I could not protect. So I exist in this wasteland, reduced to one instinct: survive.”
MAD MAX: FURY ROAD

7. This movie about drug addiction was based on a Broadway hit by a playwright who, seventeen years later, would earn an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor.

8. “One day - in a week, a month, a year - on that day when, God willing, we all return to our homes again, you're going to feel very proud of what you have achieved here in the face of great adversity. What you have done should be, and I think will be, an example to all our countrymen, soldier and civilian alike. You have survived with honor - that and more - here in the wilderness. You have turned defeat into victory. I congratulate you. Well done.”
THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI

9. Many of the scenes in this movie were filmed through a mirror, since the actor playing the lead role couldn’t quite manage to live up to the title of the movie.
PRIDE OF THE YANKEES

10. “It was an old tradition. Only the most dutiful of daughters would put her own flesh in a soup to save her mother's life. My mother did this with her whole heart even though my grandmother had disowned her. This is how a daughter honors her mother. The pain of the flesh is nothing. The pain you must forget. This is the most important sacrifice a daughter can make for her mother.”

11. This musical featured an alcoholic Irish actor in a role that had been originated on Broadway by an alcoholic Welsh actor.
CAMELOT

12. “Don't f**k with me, fellas. This ain't my first time at the rodeo.”
MOMMIE DEAREST

13. This movie about the search for a little girl who may not exist has different characters, a different setting, and a different denouement that the novel on which it was supposedly based.
BUNNY LAKE IS MISSING?

14. “It's not a tumor! It's not a tumor! At all!”
KINDERGARTEN COP

15. One of the actors referenced in Clue #11 had previously received the first of his two Oscar nomination for this film.
THIS SPORTING LIFE

16. “I've discovered his weakness.”
“Yes?”
“He cares. He actually cares for these Earth people.”
“Like pets?”
SUPERMAN II

17. For his role in this movie, Bob Dylan was nominated for a Golden Turkey Award for Worst Performance by a Singer. (He lost to Tony Bennett.)
PAT GARRETT AND BILLY THE KID?

18. “He won't come after me.”
“Oh, really?”
“He won't. I can't explain it. He - he would consider that rude.”
SILENCE OF THE LAMBS

19. To ward off threatened protests by the American Legion, Columbia Pictures made a short film to accompany this movie in which business professors decried its iconic lead character. (Ah, the 1950s….)
THE SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS? THE CRUCIBLE?

20. “Those morons out there? Shucks, I could take chicken fertilizer and sell it to them as caviar. I could make them eat dog food and think it was steak. Sure, I got 'em like this. You know what the public's like? A cage of guinea pigs. Good night you stupid idiots. Good night, you miserable slobs. They're a lot of trained seals. I toss them a dead fish and they'll flap their flippers.”
A FACE IN THE CROWD

21. This 1941 movie got Ray Milland into my last movie game.
I WANTED WINGS

22. “Why are these ceilings so low?”
“Low overhead, my boy - we pass the savings on to you! But seriously, that'll all be covered in the orientation.”
BEING JOHN MALKOVICH

23. The leading character of this 2009 biographical film was also the main subject of the poem “Adonaïs.”
BRIGHT STAR

AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON

25. Actress Gladys George received her only Oscar nomination for her role as the proverbial whore with a heart of gold in this film.
VALIANT IS THE WORD FOR CARRIE

26. “That guy was hurting me. If you hadn't come out when you did, he would've hurt me a lot worse. And probably nothing would've happened to him 'cause everybody did see me dancin' with him all night. They would've made out like I'd asked for it. My life would've been ruined a whole lot worse than it is now. At least now I'm havin' some fun. And I'm not sorry that son of a bitch is dead. I'm just sorry it was you that did it and not me.”
THELMA AND LOUISE

27. Stephen Schwartz’s version of this classic film comedy never reached Broadway, but has since attained major cult status among musical theatre aficionados.
THE BAKER'S WIFE?

28. “There are times since I've felt like the child born of those two fathers. But, be that as it may, those of us who did make it have an obligation to build again, to teach to others what we know, and to try with what's left of our lives to find a goodness and a meaning to this life.”
PLATOON

29. Much of the action of this British thriller – which stars Margaret Lockwood and features the fanatical cricket fans Caldicott and Charters – takes place on a railway journey … but it’s not the one you’re thinking of.
NIGHT TRAIN TO MUNICH

30. “He looks like that fellow in the movies - Ralph Bellamy.”
HIS GIRL FRIDAY

31. This financially successful 1974 movie sequel was cited by Harry Medved as one of The Fifty Worst Films of All Time. (Surprisingly, its star/writer/director did not kick Medved’s butt.)
THE TRIAL OF BILLY JACK

32. “What if you had a mother like Joan Crawford or Lana Turner?”
“These are the options? You, Joan or Lana?”
POSTCARDS FROM THE EDGE

33. In this western, distinguished character actor Henry O’Neill played the founder of what is now the third largest bank in the United States.
WELLS FARGO

34. “Touching isn't it? The way he counts on his wife.”
“Yes, like a drowning man clutching at a razor blade.”
WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION

35. The fourth installment of a highly lucrative franchise, it was actually based on an award-winning fantasy novel unrelated to the rest of the series.

36. “A brick wall ... a brick wall ... I must think of a brick wall ... a brick wall ... I must think of a brick wall ... a brick wall ... brick wall ... I must think of a brick wall.... It's almost half past eight ... brick wall ... only a few seconds more ... brick wall ... brick wall ... brick wall ... nearly over ... a brick wall....”

37. Antiwar activist Stan Goff said that agreeing to act as military consultant for this actioner – which he dubbed “yet another male revenge fantasy” – was the worst mistake he ever made. (What was he expecting from Ah-nold, pacifism?)

38. “I apologize for not being entirely honest with you. I apologize for not revealing my true feelings. I apologize, sir, for not telling you sooner that you're a degenerate, sadistic old man. And you can go to hell before I apologize to you now or ever again!”
PATHS OF GLORY

39. In this movie sequel, John Walton, Sr., took on the role that had originally been played by the late Mortimer Duke.
HOMEWARD BOUND II: LOST IN SAN FRANCISCO

40. “I thought that I liked what Michael was doing to me, and it felt different from Jack, more gentle. And more exciting. And I thought how different Michael was from Jack. How much deeper his vision of life was. And I thought Michael was a hedgehog and Jack was a fox. And then I thought Judy was a fox and Gabe was a hedgehog. And I thought about all the people I knew, and which were hedgehogs and which were foxes. Al Simon, a friend, was a hedgehog, and his wife Jenny was a hedgehog. And Cindy Salkind was a fox. And Lou Patrino was a hedgehog.”

41. The Scottish pop group that took their name from this Frank Sinatra movie scored their only America hit in 1987 with the song “Mary’s Prayer.”
MEET DANNY WILSON

42. “Why do you wanna fight?”
“Because I can’t sing or dance.”
ROCKY

43. This 1969 film contains Deborah Kerr’s only nude scene – but we assume that was not the reason it flopped.
THE GYPSY MOTHS

44. “This is a three billion dollar class action lawsuit. In the morning, I have to call my board. I have to tell them that the architect of our defense was arrested for running naked in the street.”
MICHAEL CLAYTON

45. Speaking of flops and nude scenes, the troubled making of this musical inspired a later film in which another English actress famously bared her breasts.
STAR? DARLING LILI?

46. “You gentlemen aren't really trying to kill my son, are you?”
NORTH BY NORTHWEST

47. A collapsible kayak is just one of the props that bedevils the pipe-smoking hero of this comedy, who went on to bumble his way through four more films.
BOUDU SAVED FROM DROWNING

48. “I will live in Montana. And I will marry a round American woman and raise rabbits, and she will cook them for me. And I will have a pickup truck. Maybe even a ‘recreational vehicle.’ And drive from state to state. Do they let you do that?”
THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER

49. This 1958 film was based on the second novel by the author of Bonjour Tristesse.

50. “You are probably going to be a very successful computer person. But you're going to go through life thinking that girls don't like you because you're a nerd. And I want you to know, from the bottom of my heart, that that won't be true. It'll be because you're an a**hole.”
THE SOCIAL NETWORK?

51. This 1949 comedy placed Loretta Young in a love triangle with her own daughter – but it was 1949 and a comedy and Loretta Young, so it was all quite wholesome.
MOTHER WAS A FRESHMAN?

52. “Oh, my Dear Friend, my heart was trembling as I walked into the post office, and there you were, lying in Box 237. I took you out of your envelope and read you, read you right there.”
THE SHOP AROUND THE CORNER?

53. This movie is generally considered to be the first major rock and roll musical, although the title tune had earlier been featured in a different (and better) film.
ROCK AROUND THE CLOCK?

54. “I can't go on! No food, no water. It's all my fault. We're done for! It's got me. I can't stand it! No food, nothing! No food, no water! No food!”
“What's the matter with you, anyway? There's New York. We'll be picked up in a few minutes. ”
“You had to open your big mouth and ruin the only good scene I got in the picture. I might have won the Academy Award!”
ROAD TO MOROCCO

55. The subject of this biopic was posthumously inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame four years before the movie was released.
THE HURRICANE?

56. “You are a miserable little son of a bitch, you know that? I don't know why she took you in the house. I'd bed you down with the dogs! And I'll tell you something else, mister, you may be a lot younger and stronger, but you're about to get your ass kicked from here to the state line. And I'm wearin' the boots that can do it!”
“You're a feisty old booger, aren't ya?”
“I thought we just settled that!”
MURPHEY'S ROMANCE

57. This French film was based on a real-life case of identity theft – sixteenth century style.
THE RETURN OF MARTIN GUERRE

58. “All I know is I have to catch an Austrian Airlines flight tomorrow morning at 9:30 and I don't really have enough money for a hotel, so I was just going to walk around, and it would be a lot more fun if you came with me. And if I turn out to be some kind of psycho, you know, you just get on the next train.”
BEFORE SUNRISE

59. Barbra Streisand turned down the title role in this 1978 thriller because the story was too kinky, but she did have a moderate hit with the theme song.
THE EYES OF LAURA MARS

60. “What if at a key moment in the game, my uniform bursts open and, uh, oops, my bosoms come flying out? That, that might draw a crowd, right?”
A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN

61. This movie marked the only screen appearance of legendary stage actress Katharine Cornell. (The cast also included Johnny Weismuller and Gypsy Rose Lee.)
STAGE DOOR CANTEEN

“Aren’t you drinking?”
“I never drink – wine.”
DRACULA

63. This film netted Harry Warren the last of his three Oscars and Johnny Mercer the first of his four Oscars.
THE HARVEY GIRLS?

64. “We O'Learys are a strange tribe. There's strength in us. And what we set out to do, we finish.”
IN OLD CHICAGO

65. The drug-dealing villain of this blaxploitation hit was played by a double Oscar winner.
CLEOPATRA JONES

66. “No, mom! I'm not spoiled! I'm not spoiled mom! I'm just as fresh and virginal like the day I was born, mom!”
SPLENDOR IN THE GRASS

67. This 1921 horror film is perhaps the greatest masterpiece of Sweden’s Golden Age.

68. “Listen, anything you got to say about your mother in-law, you don't have to explain to me. You know what I mean? Like if she were the star of a real crummy horror movie, I'd believe it.”
IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD

69. The only woman in the cast of this adventure film is a mirage, played by a cast member of the previous film.
FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX (original)

70. “I came here to die with you. Or live with you. Dying ain't hard for men like you and me. It's living that's hard when all you've ever cared about has been butchered or raped.”
THE OUTLAW JOSEY WALES? GLADIATOR?

71. The victim of the mob hit cited in the title of this Indie movie was played by Soto Joe Hugh – and if you’ve never heard of him, it’s because he never made another film appearance.

72. “That woman? Do you know why I sat with her? Because she reminded me of you.”
“Really?”
“Of course, that's why I'm sitting here with you. Because you remind me of you. Your eyes, your throat, your lips! Everything about you reminds me of you. Except you. How do you account for that? If she figures that one out, she's good.”
A NIGHT AT THE OPERA

73. When this 1975 film was first shown in the United States, one distributor threw his coffee cup at the screen in frustration over the lack of a solution to its central mystery.

74. “I want that account!”
“Why would I give it to you?”
“Who can sell d**k drug better than me?”

75. This Franco-Austrian film about a masochistic music instructor won the Grand Prix at Cannes in 2001.

76. “Jane, since I've met you, I've noticed things that I never knew were there before: birds singing, dew glistening on a newly formed leaf, stoplights….”
THE NAKED GUN

77. There are no dialogue title cards in this silent classic, and all of the street signs are in Esperanto.

78. “Well, would you like to hear me tell a joke?”
“Yeah. Yeah, we'd love to hear a joke from you.”
“Knock knock.”
“Who's there?”
“Go f**k yourselves.”
CATCH ME IF YOU CAN

79. According to its leading man, this western was actually intended to be an allegory for the Cold War and the character played by Charles Bickford was supposed to be President Eisenhower. (Apparently, the message didn’t come through, because Ike called it his favorite film and had it screened four times at the White House.)
THE BIG COUNTRY

80. “Nobody does this to the United States. The President will get his baseball glove back and play catch with this guy's balls!”
AIR FORCE ONE

81. This film centers around a performance of Chekhov in New York’s abandoned Amsterdam Theatre.
VANYA ON 42ND STREET

82. “We took down some very big guys. Some of whom, they were just doing business as usual, helping their communities or their states, but some of them knew they had larceny in their blood, and they even admitted it.”
AMERICAN HUSTLE

83. This film earned its star a ton of Best Actress awards, including an Oscar, a Golden Globe, an Independent Spirit Award, a BAFTA, a Teen Choice Award, and a Saturn Award.
BLACK SWAN

84. “He'll buy that boat from that stupid boat catalog he's been making me look at for the last two months, and he will crash that boat off Catalina Island, and he will drown and die and seals will eat him”
LOST IN AMERICA

85. This film is retroactively considered the first part of a trilogy that also includes Shame and The Passion of Anna.
INTOLERANCE?

86. “I cooked artichokes with hollandaise sauce which is melted butter that's been whipped into a frenzy with egg yolks until it's died and gone to heaven, and let me say this: is there anything better than butter? Think it over: every time you taste something that's delicious beyond imagining and you say, ‘What is in this?’ the answer is always going to be ‘Butter.’ The day there's a meteorite heading toward the earth and we have thirty days to live, I am going to spend it eating butter. Here's my final words on the subject, you can never have too much, butter.”
JULIE AND JULIA

87. This 1934 film is best remembered, not for itself, but for who was killed after seeing it.
MANHATTAN MELODRAMA

88. “I'm sick of these artificial barriers between the musical and the drama. In my mind, there is no difference between the magic rhythms of Bill Shakespeare's immortal verse and the magic rhythms of Bill Robinson's immortal feet.”
THE BANDWAGON

89. With the release of this film, its creator became the first American animator since Disney to have two financial successes in a row.

90. “So, I hear you were terrorizing Mr. Morgan's class – again.”
“Expressing my opinion is not a terrorist action.”
“The way you expressed your opinion to Bobby Ridgeway? By the way, his testicle retrieval operation went quite well, in case you're interested.”
“I still maintain that he kicked himself in the balls.”
10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT YOU

91. This was the first movie to win the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film and lose the Oscar for Best Picture on the same night.
Z

92. “When we entered the abbey our worldly clothes were given to the poor.”
“What about this one?”
“The poor didn’t want this one.”
THE SOUND OF MUSIC

93. The role played by Don Ameche in this movie was reportedly based on Mack Sennett – who served as technical adviser.
HOLLYWOOD CAVALCADE

94. “Give me that baby, you warthog from hell!”
THE OMEN? GHOSTBUSTERS II?

95. The house that provided the setting and title for this 1975 documentary was subsequently purchased and renovated by Washington Post editor Ben Bradlee.
THE EXORCIST? GREY GARDENS?

THROW MOMMA FROM THE TRAIN

97. This movie earned a place in the history of rock and roll when a couple of Liverpool lads snuck in to see it and were enthralled by the performances of Little Richard, Eddie Cochran, and others. (They were also probably enthralled, albeit for different reasons, by the leading lady.)
THE GIRL CAN'T HELP IT

98. “And now, ladies and gentlemen, before I tell you any more, I'm going to show you the greatest thing your eyes have ever beheld. He was a king and a god in the world he knew, but now he comes to civilization merely a captive - a show to gratify your curiosity.”
KING KONG

99. This movie was based on the Broadway flop Orpheus Descending by Tennessee Williams.

100. “You wanna get high, man?”
“Does Howdy Doody got wooden balls, man?”

101. Set in Italy, this Italian-French adaptation a German novel starred an English actor as a German composer and a Swedish actor as a Polish adolescent. Got that?
DEATH IN VENICE

102. “You see, I have a gift. An instinct for sensing people's weaknesses. Yours is women. Hers and mine are winning, whatever the cost. So when I arranged for that fatal overdose for the true victor at Sydney, I won myself my very own MI6 agent, using everything at my disposal - her brains, her talent, even her sex.”

103. The first film version of a classic Broadway play, it starred the actor who was the recipient of the speech cited in Clue #38. (The second film version is cited in one of the above clues.)
THE FRONT PAGE

104. “Most people never have to face the fact that, at the right time and the right place, they're capable of anything.”
CHINATOWN

105. The climactic battle scene in this film influenced such later films as Spartacus, Olivier’s Henry V, and The Empire Strikes Back, while its Prokofiev score was used directly in one of Woody Allen’s funniest movies.
BATTLESHIP POTEMKIN?

ARGO

107. Robert Mitchum received his only Oscar nomination for his supporting role in this film.
THE STORY OF GI JOE

108. “My poor mother-in-law died three days ago. I'm attending her funeral this afternoon.”
“Isn't that terrible, Mr. Wolfinger!”
“Yes, it's terrible. It's awful. Horrible tragedy.”
“It must be hard to lose your mother-in-law.”
“Yes it is, very hard. It's almost impossible.”

109. This was the first talkie for both an Oscar-winning actor and his native country.

110. “The normal question, the first question is always, are these cannibals? No, they are not cannibals. Cannibalism in the true sense of the word implies an intrapecies activity. These creatures cannot be considered human. They prey on humans. They do not prey on each other - that's the difference. They attack and they feed only on warm human flesh.”

111. This movie deals with a crime carried out by Mr. Blue, Mr. Green, Mr. Grey, and Mr. Brown – but it’s not the one you’re thinking of.
THE TAKING OF PELHAM ONE TWO THREE (original)

112. “You humans are very curious to us. You invite us to live among you in an atmosphere of equality that we've never known before. You give us ownership of our own lives for the first time and you ask no more of us than you do of yourselves. I hope you understand how special your world is, how unique a people you humans are. Which is why it is all the more painful and confusing to us that so few of you seem capable of living up to the ideals you set for yourselves.”
ALIEN NATION?

113. The native huts in this lush Pre-Code romance were reused a year later in the film cited in Clue #98.
ECSTASY?

114. “Look, why don't you stop pressing? Mrs. Crandall might have been interested in your product, but Mrs. Markham is not.”
“You're taking an awful lot for granted, aren't you?”
“Strange; I was thinking the same thing about you.”
“Why? Just because I'm being friendly?”
“You're about as friendly as a suction pump.”

115. Nine members of the cast of this Shakespearean film had either already won or would later go on to win Oscars.
HAMLET (Kenneth Branagh version)

116. “They're not aliens, they're spiders mutated by contaminated waste!”
“That's probably a more logical explanation!”
EIGHT LEGGED FREAKS

117. Sidney Poitier was at the peak of his popularity when he appeared in this, his only out-and-out romantic comedy.
FOR LOVE OF IVY?

118. “But sweetheart, I can't be your mother!”
“Why not?”
“Well ... look at me!”

119. This stoner comedy was based on Peter Farrelly’s experience at a prep school in Connecticut, but he later disavowed it.

120. “1920. Three years gone. Three years. France - I remember distinctly. But after that - what after that? Liverpool - what am I doing here? Where have I been? Better go home. Yes - may clear things up. Better go home – “
RANDOM HARVEST

121. This movie was the first American musical version of a film cited in one of the above clues. (The second is my favorite stage musical, in which I recently appeared; see my photo here.)
IN THE GOOD OLD SUMMERTIME

122. “There's only one little operation performed here, Mama! It's on the brain! It's called a lobotomy! You may have heard of it, or read about it, I know I have! They bore holes into your skull!”

123. This biopic features Waldo Lydecker as the composer of the operetta El Capitan.
STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER

124. “The only difference between a derelict and a man is a job.”
MY MAN GODFREY

125. Angela Lansbury considers her role in this movie, in which she played the mother of an actor only nine years younger than herself, one of the worst of her career.
THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE

126. “My father owned the zoo, and I was delivered on short notice by a herpetologist, who was there to check on the Bengal monitor lizard. Mother and I were both healthy, but the poor lizard escaped and was trampled by a frightened cassowary. The way of karma, huh? The way of God.”

127. Clark Griswold did his bumbling dad shtick. Mountain McClintock did his tough guy shtick. Nobody came to see it.
COPS AND ROBBERSONS

128. “We're alike. I, too, believe that everyone should have a chance at a breathtaking piece of folly once in his life. I was twenty when they said a woman couldn't swim the Channel.”
NATIONAL VELVET

129. This family-friendly movie starring Opie’s kid brother became a family-friendly television series starring Opie’s kid brother.
GENTLE BEN?

130. “Would you be shocked if I put on something more comfortable?”
HELL'S ANGELS

131. This was the only Meryl Streep movie to win an Oscar for Best Visual Effects.
DEATH BECOMES HER?

132. “I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?”
STAND BY ME?

133. One of the biggest bones of contention in the 2015 #oscarssowhite kerfuffle was the failure of this movie to receive any Oscar nominations except for its white screenwriters.
STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON

134. “You have everything it takes to make a lovely woman except the one essential: an understanding heart. And without that, you might just as well be made of bronze. “
THE PHILADELPHIA STORY

135. The establishment cited in the title of this 1952 western was actually the Chuck-a-Luck, but the studio didn’t think that would look very compelling on a movie marquee.
RANCHO NOTORIOUS

136. “I like the way I look. Makes me feel good, it does. And women like me, goddammit. Hell, the only one thing I ever been good for is lovin'. Women go crazy for me, that's a really true fact!”
MIDNIGHT COWBOY

137. This is the film that introduced us to the Oceana Roll.
TWO WEEKS WITH LOVE?

GONE WITH THE WIND

139. Released the same year as the previous movie, this French film was a critical and box office bomb; thirteen years later, it was included on Sight and Sound’s inaugural list of the ten best films ever made.
RULES OF THE GAME?

140. “Don't go, Susan. You mustn't go. You can't do this to me.”
“I see. So it's you who this is being done to. It's not me at all. Not how I feel. Not what it means to me. I can't do this to you? Oh, yes I can.”
CITIZEN KANE

silverscreenselect

#42 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:26 am

I'm wondering how sneaky Frank is. We have Superman II on the list, and Superman is obviously contained inside that. Would Frank consider that a "contained in."

silverscreenselect

#43 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:14 am

Just a few here:

Meryl Streep (Julie and Julia) in Manhattan (Melodrama)
Tom Hanks (Catch Me If You Can) in Philadelphia (The Philadelphia Story)
John Malkovich (Being John Malkovich) in Red (The Hunt for Red October)
Jack Lemmon (Hamlet) in Cowboy (Midnight Cowboy)

Other partials:

Pride of the Yankees - Pride
Meet Danny Wilson - Wilson
The Girl Can't Help It - Help
The Taking of Pelham One Two Three - One Two Three (there may be an issue with commas here)
The Front Page - The Front

And one answer:
RAISING ARIZONA

silverscreenselect

#44 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:22 am

silverscreenselect wrote:Just a few here:

Meryl Streep (Julie and Julia) in Manhattan (Melodrama)
Tom Hanks (Catch Me If You Can) in Philadelphia (The Philadelphia Story)
John Malkovich (Being John Malkovich) in Red (The Hunt for Red October)
Jack Lemmon (Hamlet) in Cowboy (Midnight Cowboy)
Lemmon is also in Missing (Bunny Lake is Missing)

Other partials:

Pride of the Yankees - Pride
Meet Danny Wilson - Wilson
The Girl Can't Help It - Help
The Taking of Pelham One Two Three - One Two Three (there may be an issue with commas here)
The Front Page - The Front

And one answer:
RAISING ARIZONA

franktangredi

#45 Post by franktangredi » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:14 pm

Sorry, I was traveling, so I didn't get a chance to look in until now.

Of the definites, three are wrong. I may have given an ambiguous clue for #9, although they did not shoot Cooper in a mirror; they flopped the film. In the clue, I tried to get you to focus on the title of the movie.

Of the questions where one answer is given with a question mark, 16 are right and 5 are wrong.

Of the questions with two alternate answers, three include the correct answer and two do not. (The word 'documentary' in the clue should clarify one of them.)

One answer is the right film, but with the wrong title.

Of the suggested matches ... one is correct. But for a different reason.

You are definitely on the right track. And once you figure out the actual Tangredi, you'll have no problem fixing up all those matches. And there won't be any ambiguity.

Pastor Fireball wrote:New consolidation. Once we get an update from Frank, we can start deleting some of these clues.

There’s a lot here – I kept on finding more pairs, plus I wanted both the number of movies and the number of pairs to end in 0 – but the Tangredi is not hard, and I think most of the matches will go down pretty easily without reference to IMDB.

PAIRS (13 of 100)
43. THE GYPSY MOTHS + 66. SPLENDOR IN THE GRASS = Natalie Wood in Gypsy

PARTIALS
20. A FACE IN THE CROWD = THE CROWD
25. VALIANT IS THE WORD FOR CARRIE = CARRIE
29. NIGHT TRAIN TO MUNICH = MUNICH
33. WELLS FARGO = FARGO
38. PATHS OF GLORY = GLORY
39. HOMEWARD BOUND II: LOST IN SAN FRANCISCO = SAN FRANCISCO
44. MICHAEL CLAYTON = MICHAEL
46. NORTH BY NORTHWEST = NORTH
58. BEFORE SUNRISE = SUNRISE
64. IN OLD CHICAGO = CHICAGO
65. CLEOPATRA JONES = CLEOPATRA
70. THE OUTLAW JOSEY WALES = THE OUTLAW
81. VANYA ON 42ND STREET = 42ND STREET
82. AMERICAN HUSTLE = HUSTLE
87. MANHATTAN MELODRAMA = MANHATTAN
93. HOLLYWOOD CAVALCADE = CAVALCADE
96. THROW MAMMA FROM THE TRAIN = THE TRAIN
123. STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER = STRIPES

THE GENERAL?

“Stealin' your woman.”
“Take her.”
BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID

3. This influential New Wave film consists entirely of a conversation between a French actress and a Japanese architect)
HIROSHIMA, MON AMOR?

4. “By Gad, sir, you are a character. There's never any telling what you'll say or do next, except that it's bound to be something astonishing.”
THE MALTESE FALCON

TALK OF THE TOWN?

MAD MAX: FURY ROAD

7. This movie about drug addiction was based on a Broadway hit by a playwright who, seventeen years later, would earn an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor.

8. “One day - in a week, a month, a year - on that day when, God willing, we all return to our homes again, you're going to feel very proud of what you have achieved here in the face of great adversity. What you have done should be, and I think will be, an example to all our countrymen, soldier and civilian alike. You have survived with honor - that and more - here in the wilderness. You have turned defeat into victory. I congratulate you. Well done.”
THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI

PRIDE OF THE YANKEES

10. “It was an old tradition. Only the most dutiful of daughters would put her own flesh in a soup to save her mother's life. My mother did this with her whole heart even though my grandmother had disowned her. This is how a daughter honors her mother. The pain of the flesh is nothing. The pain you must forget. This is the most important sacrifice a daughter can make for her mother.”

11. This musical featured an alcoholic Irish actor in a role that had been originated on Broadway by an alcoholic Welsh actor.
CAMELOT

12. “Don't f**k with me, fellas. This ain't my first time at the rodeo.”
MOMMIE DEAREST

13. This movie about the search for a little girl who may not exist has different characters, a different setting, and a different denouement that the novel on which it was supposedly based.
BUNNY LAKE IS MISSING?

14. “It's not a tumor! It's not a tumor! At all!”
KINDERGARTEN COP

THIS SPORTING LIFE

16. “I've discovered his weakness.”
“Yes?”
“He cares. He actually cares for these Earth people.”
“Like pets?”
SUPERMAN II

PAT GARRETT AND BILLY THE KID?

18. “He won't come after me.”
“Oh, really?”
“He won't. I can't explain it. He - he would consider that rude.”
SILENCE OF THE LAMBS

19. To ward off threatened protests by the American Legion, Columbia Pictures made a short film to accompany this movie in which business professors decried its iconic lead character. (Ah, the 1950s….)
THE SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS? THE CRUCIBLE?

A FACE IN THE CROWD

21. This 1941 movie got Ray Milland into my last movie game.
I WANTED WINGS

22. “Why are these ceilings so low?”
“Low overhead, my boy - we pass the savings on to you! But seriously, that'll all be covered in the orientation.”
BEING JOHN MALKOVICH

BRIGHT STAR

AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON

25. Actress Gladys George received her only Oscar nomination for her role as the proverbial whore with a heart of gold in this film.
VALIANT IS THE WORD FOR CARRIE

THELMA AND LOUISE

27. Stephen Schwartz’s version of this classic film comedy never reached Broadway, but has since attained major cult status among musical theatre aficionados.
THE BAKER'S WIFE?

PLATOON

NIGHT TRAIN TO MUNICH

30. “He looks like that fellow in the movies - Ralph Bellamy.”
HIS GIRL FRIDAY

THE TRIAL OF BILLY JACK

32. “What if you had a mother like Joan Crawford or Lana Turner?”
“These are the options? You, Joan or Lana?”
POSTCARDS FROM THE EDGE

33. In this western, distinguished character actor Henry O’Neill played the founder of what is now the third largest bank in the United States.
WELLS FARGO

34. “Touching isn't it? The way he counts on his wife.”
“Yes, like a drowning man clutching at a razor blade.”
WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION

35. The fourth installment of a highly lucrative franchise, it was actually based on an award-winning fantasy novel unrelated to the rest of the series.

36. “A brick wall ... a brick wall ... I must think of a brick wall ... a brick wall ... I must think of a brick wall ... a brick wall ... brick wall ... I must think of a brick wall.... It's almost half past eight ... brick wall ... only a few seconds more ... brick wall ... brick wall ... brick wall ... nearly over ... a brick wall....”

37. Antiwar activist Stan Goff said that agreeing to act as military consultant for this actioner – which he dubbed “yet another male revenge fantasy” – was the worst mistake he ever made. (What was he expecting from Ah-nold, pacifism?)

38. “I apologize for not being entirely honest with you. I apologize for not revealing my true feelings. I apologize, sir, for not telling you sooner that you're a degenerate, sadistic old man. And you can go to hell before I apologize to you now or ever again!”
PATHS OF GLORY

HOMEWARD BOUND II: LOST IN SAN FRANCISCO

40. “I thought that I liked what Michael was doing to me, and it felt different from Jack, more gentle. And more exciting. And I thought how different Michael was from Jack. How much deeper his vision of life was. And I thought Michael was a hedgehog and Jack was a fox. And then I thought Judy was a fox and Gabe was a hedgehog. And I thought about all the people I knew, and which were hedgehogs and which were foxes. Al Simon, a friend, was a hedgehog, and his wife Jenny was a hedgehog. And Cindy Salkind was a fox. And Lou Patrino was a hedgehog.”

41. The Scottish pop group that took their name from this Frank Sinatra movie scored their only America hit in 1987 with the song “Mary’s Prayer.”
MEET DANNY WILSON

42. “Why do you wanna fight?”
“Because I can’t sing or dance.”
ROCKY

43. This 1969 film contains Deborah Kerr’s only nude scene – but we assume that was not the reason it flopped.
THE GYPSY MOTHS

MICHAEL CLAYTON

STAR? DARLING LILI?

46. “You gentlemen aren't really trying to kill my son, are you?”
NORTH BY NORTHWEST

47. A collapsible kayak is just one of the props that bedevils the pipe-smoking hero of this comedy, who went on to bumble his way through four more films.
BOUDU SAVED FROM DROWNING

48. “I will live in Montana. And I will marry a round American woman and raise rabbits, and she will cook them for me. And I will have a pickup truck. Maybe even a ‘recreational vehicle.’ And drive from state to state. Do they let you do that?”
THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER

49. This 1958 film was based on the second novel by the author of Bonjour Tristesse.

THE SOCIAL NETWORK?

51. This 1949 comedy placed Loretta Young in a love triangle with her own daughter – but it was 1949 and a comedy and Loretta Young, so it was all quite wholesome.
MOTHER WAS A FRESHMAN?

52. “Oh, my Dear Friend, my heart was trembling as I walked into the post office, and there you were, lying in Box 237. I took you out of your envelope and read you, read you right there.”
THE SHOP AROUND THE CORNER?

53. This movie is generally considered to be the first major rock and roll musical, although the title tune had earlier been featured in a different (and better) film.
ROCK AROUND THE CLOCK?

ROAD TO MOROCCO

55. The subject of this biopic was posthumously inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame four years before the movie was released.
THE HURRICANE?

56. “You are a miserable little son of a bitch, you know that? I don't know why she took you in the house. I'd bed you down with the dogs! And I'll tell you something else, mister, you may be a lot younger and stronger, but you're about to get your ass kicked from here to the state line. And I'm wearin' the boots that can do it!”
“You're a feisty old booger, aren't ya?”
“I thought we just settled that!”
MURPHEY'S ROMANCE

THE RETURN OF MARTIN GUERRE

58. “All I know is I have to catch an Austrian Airlines flight tomorrow morning at 9:30 and I don't really have enough money for a hotel, so I was just going to walk around, and it would be a lot more fun if you came with me. And if I turn out to be some kind of psycho, you know, you just get on the next train.”
BEFORE SUNRISE

59. Barbra Streisand turned down the title role in this 1978 thriller because the story was too kinky, but she did have a moderate hit with the theme song.
THE EYES OF LAURA MARS

A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN

61. This movie marked the only screen appearance of legendary stage actress Katharine Cornell. (The cast also included Johnny Weismuller and Gypsy Rose Lee.)
STAGE DOOR CANTEEN

“Aren’t you drinking?”
“I never drink – wine.”
DRACULA

63. This film netted Harry Warren the last of his three Oscars and Johnny Mercer the first of his four Oscars.
THE HARVEY GIRLS?

64. “We O'Learys are a strange tribe. There's strength in us. And what we set out to do, we finish.”
IN OLD CHICAGO

65. The drug-dealing villain of this blaxploitation hit was played by a double Oscar winner.
CLEOPATRA JONES

66. “No, mom! I'm not spoiled! I'm not spoiled mom! I'm just as fresh and virginal like the day I was born, mom!”
SPLENDOR IN THE GRASS

67. This 1921 horror film is perhaps the greatest masterpiece of Sweden’s Golden Age.

68. “Listen, anything you got to say about your mother in-law, you don't have to explain to me. You know what I mean? Like if she were the star of a real crummy horror movie, I'd believe it.”
IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD

69. The only woman in the cast of this adventure film is a mirage, played by a cast member of the previous film.
FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX (original)

THE OUTLAW JOSEY WALES? GLADIATOR?

71. The victim of the mob hit cited in the title of this Indie movie was played by Soto Joe Hugh – and if you’ve never heard of him, it’s because he never made another film appearance.

72. “That woman? Do you know why I sat with her? Because she reminded me of you.”
“Really?”
“Of course, that's why I'm sitting here with you. Because you remind me of you. Your eyes, your throat, your lips! Everything about you reminds me of you. Except you. How do you account for that? If she figures that one out, she's good.”
A NIGHT AT THE OPERA

73. When this 1975 film was first shown in the United States, one distributor threw his coffee cup at the screen in frustration over the lack of a solution to its central mystery.

74. “I want that account!”
“Why would I give it to you?”
“Who can sell d**k drug better than me?”

75. This Franco-Austrian film about a masochistic music instructor won the Grand Prix at Cannes in 2001.

THE NAKED GUN

77. There are no dialogue title cards in this silent classic, and all of the street signs are in Esperanto.

78. “Well, would you like to hear me tell a joke?”
“Yeah. Yeah, we'd love to hear a joke from you.”
“Knock knock.”
“Who's there?”
“Go f**k yourselves.”
CATCH ME IF YOU CAN

79. According to its leading man, this western was actually intended to be an allegory for the Cold War and the character played by Charles Bickford was supposed to be President Eisenhower. (Apparently, the message didn’t come through, because Ike called it his favorite film and had it screened four times at the White House.)
THE BIG COUNTRY

AIR FORCE ONE

81. This film centers around a performance of Chekhov in New York’s abandoned Amsterdam Theatre.
VANYA ON 42ND STREET

82. “We took down some very big guys. Some of whom, they were just doing business as usual, helping their communities or their states, but some of them knew they had larceny in their blood, and they even admitted it.”
AMERICAN HUSTLE

BLACK SWAN

LOST IN AMERICA

INTOLERANCE?

86. “I cooked artichokes with hollandaise sauce which is melted butter that's been whipped into a frenzy with egg yolks until it's died and gone to heaven, and let me say this: is there anything better than butter? Think it over: every time you taste something that's delicious beyond imagining and you say, ‘What is in this?’ the answer is always going to be ‘Butter.’ The day there's a meteorite heading toward the earth and we have thirty days to live, I am going to spend it eating butter. Here's my final words on the subject, you can never have too much, butter.”
JULIE AND JULIA

87. This 1934 film is best remembered, not for itself, but for who was killed after seeing it.
MANHATTAN MELODRAMA

88. “I'm sick of these artificial barriers between the musical and the drama. In my mind, there is no difference between the magic rhythms of Bill Shakespeare's immortal verse and the magic rhythms of Bill Robinson's immortal feet.”
THE BANDWAGON

89. With the release of this film, its creator became the first American animator since Disney to have two financial successes in a row.

90. “So, I hear you were terrorizing Mr. Morgan's class – again.”
“Expressing my opinion is not a terrorist action.”
“The way you expressed your opinion to Bobby Ridgeway? By the way, his testicle retrieval operation went quite well, in case you're interested.”
“I still maintain that he kicked himself in the balls.”
10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT YOU

91. This was the first movie to win the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film and lose the Oscar for Best Picture on the same night.
Z

92. “When we entered the abbey our worldly clothes were given to the poor.”
“What about this one?”
“The poor didn’t want this one.”
THE SOUND OF MUSIC

93. The role played by Don Ameche in this movie was reportedly based on Mack Sennett – who served as technical adviser.
HOLLYWOOD CAVALCADE

THE EXORCIST? GREY GARDENS?

THROW MOMMA FROM THE TRAIN

97. This movie earned a place in the history of rock and roll when a couple of Liverpool lads snuck in to see it and were enthralled by the performances of Little Richard, Eddie Cochran, and others. (They were also probably enthralled, albeit for different reasons, by the leading lady.)
THE GIRL CAN'T HELP IT

KING KONG

99. This movie was based on the Broadway flop Orpheus Descending by Tennessee Williams.

100. “You wanna get high, man?”
“Does Howdy Doody got wooden balls, man?”

DEATH IN VENICE

102. “You see, I have a gift. An instinct for sensing people's weaknesses. Yours is women. Hers and mine are winning, whatever the cost. So when I arranged for that fatal overdose for the true victor at Sydney, I won myself my very own MI6 agent, using everything at my disposal - her brains, her talent, even her sex.”

103. The first film version of a classic Broadway play, it starred the actor who was the recipient of the speech cited in Clue #38. (The second film version is cited in one of the above clues.)
THE FRONT PAGE

104. “Most people never have to face the fact that, at the right time and the right place, they're capable of anything.”
CHINATOWN

105. The climactic battle scene in this film influenced such later films as Spartacus, Olivier’s Henry V, and The Empire Strikes Back, while its Prokofiev score was used directly in one of Woody Allen’s funniest movies.
BATTLESHIP POTEMKIN?

ARGO

107. Robert Mitchum received his only Oscar nomination for his supporting role in this film.
THE STORY OF GI JOE

108. “My poor mother-in-law died three days ago. I'm attending her funeral this afternoon.”
“Isn't that terrible, Mr. Wolfinger!”
“Yes, it's terrible. It's awful. Horrible tragedy.”
“It must be hard to lose your mother-in-law.”
“Yes it is, very hard. It's almost impossible.”

109. This was the first talkie for both an Oscar-winning actor and his native country.

110. “The normal question, the first question is always, are these cannibals? No, they are not cannibals. Cannibalism in the true sense of the word implies an intrapecies activity. These creatures cannot be considered human. They prey on humans. They do not prey on each other - that's the difference. They attack and they feed only on warm human flesh.”

111. This movie deals with a crime carried out by Mr. Blue, Mr. Green, Mr. Grey, and Mr. Brown – but it’s not the one you’re thinking of.
THE TAKING OF PELHAM ONE TWO THREE (original)

ALIEN NATION?

113. The native huts in this lush Pre-Code romance were reused a year later in the film cited in Clue #98.
ECSTASY?

114. “Look, why don't you stop pressing? Mrs. Crandall might have been interested in your product, but Mrs. Markham is not.”
“You're taking an awful lot for granted, aren't you?”
“Strange; I was thinking the same thing about you.”
“Why? Just because I'm being friendly?”
“You're about as friendly as a suction pump.”

HAMLET (Kenneth Branagh version)

116. “They're not aliens, they're spiders mutated by contaminated waste!”
“That's probably a more logical explanation!”
EIGHT LEGGED FREAKS

117. Sidney Poitier was at the peak of his popularity when he appeared in this, his only out-and-out romantic comedy.
FOR LOVE OF IVY?

118. “But sweetheart, I can't be your mother!”
“Why not?”
“Well ... look at me!”

119. This stoner comedy was based on Peter Farrelly’s experience at a prep school in Connecticut, but he later disavowed it.

120. “1920. Three years gone. Three years. France - I remember distinctly. But after that - what after that? Liverpool - what am I doing here? Where have I been? Better go home. Yes - may clear things up. Better go home – “
RANDOM HARVEST

121. This movie was the first American musical version of a film cited in one of the above clues. (The second is my favorite stage musical, in which I recently appeared; see my photo here.)
IN THE GOOD OLD SUMMERTIME

122. “There's only one little operation performed here, Mama! It's on the brain! It's called a lobotomy! You may have heard of it, or read about it, I know I have! They bore holes into your skull!”

123. This biopic features Waldo Lydecker as the composer of the operetta El Capitan.
STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER

124. “The only difference between a derelict and a man is a job.”
MY MAN GODFREY

THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE

126. “My father owned the zoo, and I was delivered on short notice by a herpetologist, who was there to check on the Bengal monitor lizard. Mother and I were both healthy, but the poor lizard escaped and was trampled by a frightened cassowary. The way of karma, huh? The way of God.”

COPS AND ROBBERSONS

NATIONAL VELVET

129. This family-friendly movie starring Opie’s kid brother became a family-friendly television series starring Opie’s kid brother.
GENTLE BEN?

130. “Would you be shocked if I put on something more comfortable?”
HELL'S ANGELS

DEATH BECOMES HER?

STAND BY ME?

STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON

134. “You have everything it takes to make a lovely woman except the one essential: an understanding heart. And without that, you might just as well be made of bronze. “
THE PHILADELPHIA STORY

135. The establishment cited in the title of this 1952 western was actually the Chuck-a-Luck, but the studio didn’t think that would look very compelling on a movie marquee.
RANCHO NOTORIOUS

136. “I like the way I look. Makes me feel good, it does. And women like me, goddammit. Hell, the only one thing I ever been good for is lovin'. Women go crazy for me, that's a really true fact!”
MIDNIGHT COWBOY

137. This is the film that introduced us to the Oceana Roll.
TWO WEEKS WITH LOVE?

GONE WITH THE WIND

139. Released the same year as the previous movie, this French film was a critical and box office bomb; thirteen years later, it was included on Sight and Sound’s inaugural list of the ten best films ever made.
RULES OF THE GAME?

140. “Don't go, Susan. You mustn't go. You can't do this to me.”
“I see. So it's you who this is being done to. It's not me at all. Not how I feel. Not what it means to me. I can't do this to you? Oh, yes I can.”
CITIZEN KANE

silverscreenselect

#46 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:39 pm

franktangredi wrote: Of the suggested matches ... one is correct. But for a different reason.

You are definitely on the right track. And once you figure out the actual Tangredi, you'll have no problem fixing up all those matches. And there won't be any ambiguity.
The large number of movies within movies can't be a coincidence, but the method of matching them must be off. I was beginning to suspect as much when I easily matched one of the smaller parts in Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet, Jack Lemmon, to two separate films, and I'm sure there are plenty of other similar "matches" in a film with that large a cast of prolific actors.

Perhaps it's directors. That narrows down the duplications, and Frank likes to leave clues in his titles, The full quote is "I'm ready for my close-up Mr. DeMille"

John Frankenheimer directed The Train and The Manchurian Candidate
The Coen Brothers directed Fargo and Raising Arizona.
Albert Brooks directed Mother and Lost in America.
Billy Wilder directed Witness for the Prosecution and One Two Three
Tod Browning directed Dracula and (Eight Legged) Freaks
Robert Aldrich (who Albert Molina is doing a great job playing right now on Feud) directed Flight of the Phoenix and Hustle.

silverscreenselect

#47 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:49 pm

Costa Gavras directed Z and (Bunny Lake Is) Missing.

Obviously, one-word titles like Z, Dracula, and Fargo have to be on the list for the director, so it should be pretty easy to find other films they directed that fit the puzzle.

silverscreenselect

#48 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:53 pm

Orson Welles directed Citizen Kane and The Trial (of Billy Jack).

plasticene

#49 Post by plasticene » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:02 pm

Yea for low-hanging fruit!

135. RANCHO NOTORIOUS + 46. NORTH BY NORTHWEST = Alfred Hitchcock (Notorious)

silverscreenselect

#50 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:10 pm

A couple more before I go:

Steven Spielberg directed Catch Me If You Can and (Night Train to) Munich
William Wyler directed The Big Country and Carrie (sneaky of Frank to use the old version rather than either of the horror films).