CBS Announces New Series; Timeless Gets More Time

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

CBS Announces New Series; Timeless Gets More Time

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat May 13, 2017 12:58 pm

NBC has reversed its earlier decision and renewed time travel show Timeless. The bad news is that the show won't be back until summer 2018 when it returns for 10 episodes.

CBS also announced seven new series:

9JKL: Imagine Modern Family set in one apartment building, with Elliott Gould, Linda Lavin, and Mark Feurstein and various other relatives living in three adjacent apartments.

By the Book: A man decides to live his life by the Bible. I don't see how this is going to work. It's either going to offend a lot of people or be so bland that it's boring.

Instinct: Alan Cumming as an ex-CIA operative who winds up helping New York cops catch a serial killer. Imagine Elementary with Cumming in the lead role.

Me, Myself, and I: Three parallel stories about the same man as a teenager, a middle aged man (played by SNL's Bobby Moynihan) and a 65-year-old in the future (played by John Larroquette). All three stories are likely to end the same way, early cancellation.

SWAT: Reboot of the 70s Aaron Spelling show with Shemar Moore.

Navy Seals: A ripoff of the History Channel series about one particular SEAL team.

Wisdom of the Crowd: Jeremy Piven as a high-tech genius who helps out the San Francisco police and tries to solve his daughter's murder. A ripoff of last year's Fox series APB.

Young Sheldon: A prequel to The Big Bang Theory, featuring Jim Parson's character as a nine-year-old.

If you're keeping score, that's one remake, one prequel, four ripoffs of current or recent series on other networks, and only two original ideas.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

jarnon

Re: CBS Announces New Series; Timeless Gets More Time

#2 Post by jarnon » Sat May 13, 2017 1:30 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:9JKL: Imagine Modern Family set in one apartment building, with Elliott Gould, Linda Lavin, and Mark Feurstein and various other relatives living in three adjacent apartments.
I've been watching the new Prison Break, and I like seeing Mark on show that's very different from Royal Pains. It blows my mind that "Hank" could be a
Spoiler
bad guy
!
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

MysteryMan-123

#3 Post by MysteryMan-123 » Sat May 13, 2017 2:08 pm

Does the world really need so many cop shows?

Pastor Fireball

#4 Post by Pastor Fireball » Sat May 13, 2017 5:33 pm

MysteryMan-123 wrote:Does the world really need so many cop shows?
A question that many people have asked since the 1970s.
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#5 Post by Bob78164 » Sat May 13, 2017 6:48 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:Me, Myself, and I: Three parallel stories about the same man as a teenager, a middle aged man (played by SNL's Bobby Moynihan) and a 65-year-old in the future (played by John Larroquette). All three stories are likely to end the same way, early cancellation.
I'm not so sure. This narrative structure worked for This Is Us and in my opinion, John Larroquette, at least, can carry a show. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Estonut
Evil Genius

#6 Post by Estonut » Sat May 13, 2017 9:31 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:Me, Myself, and I: Three parallel stories about the same man as a teenager, a middle aged man (played by SNL's Bobby Moynihan) and a 65-year-old in the future (played by John Larroquette). All three stories are likely to end the same way, early cancellation.
I'm not so sure. This narrative structure worked for This Is Us and in my opinion, John Larroquette, at least, can carry a show.
Casting Bobby Moynihan outweighs any value that Larroquette might add.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sun May 14, 2017 6:37 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:Wisdom of the Crowd: Jeremy Piven as a high-tech genius who helps out the San Francisco police and tries to solve his daughter's murder. A ripoff of last year's Fox series APB.
A "high-tech genius" doesn't sound like someone who'd depend of the wisdom of the crowd, but if he does, how many episodes will go by before he cites the oft-quoted factoid about WWTBAM's ATA giving better results than the "expert" PAF?

Bob Juch

#8 Post by Bob Juch » Mon May 15, 2017 6:44 am

By the Book: A man decides to live his life by the Bible. I don't see how this is going to work. It's either going to offend a lot of people or be so bland that it's boring.
I wonder how many people he's going to stone?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

plasticene

#9 Post by plasticene » Mon May 15, 2017 9:43 am

Bob Juch wrote:
This is based on The Year of Living Biblically, by the same guy who famously read the entire Encyclopedia Britannica and wrote a book about it. The Wikipedia article suggests he did stone some adulterers! I presume it was with their permission, and that he didn't actually harm them, or else he would have gone to jail.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#10 Post by Estonut » Mon May 15, 2017 11:48 am

plasticene wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
This is based on The Year of Living Biblically, by the same guy who famously read the entire Encyclopedia Britannica and wrote a book about it. The Wikipedia article suggests he did stone some adulterers! I presume it was with their permission, and that he didn't actually harm them, or else he would have gone to jail.
This guy was also a contestant (once) and an "Ask the Expert" (many times) on a certain long-forgotten game show...
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

silverscreenselect

#11 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed May 17, 2017 10:07 am

Here's the official schedule:

Monday

8:00 - Big Bang Theory / Kevin Can Wait (starting November)
8:30 - 9JKL
9:00 - Kevin Can Wait / Me, Myself and I (November)
9:30 - Me, Myself and I / Superior Donuts (November)
10:00 - Scorpion

Tuesday

8:00 - NCIS
9:00 - Bull
10:00 - NCIS New Orleans

Wednesday

8:00 - Survivor
9:00 - SEAL Team
10:00 - Criminal Minds

Thursday (NFL Football until November)

8:00 - Big Bang Theory
8:30 - Young Sheldon
9:00 - Mom
9:30 - Life in Pieces
10:00 - SWAT

Friday

8:00 - MacGyver
9:00 - Hawaii Five 0
10:00 - Blue Bloods

Saturday - Repeats

Sunday

7:00 - 60 Minutes
8:00 - Wisdom of the Crowd
9:00 - NCIS Los Angeles
10:00 - Madam Secretary

Elementary, Code Black, Amazing Race, and Man with a Plan will be back mid-season, along with new series Instinct and By the Book.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

ghostjmf

#12 Post by ghostjmf » Wed May 17, 2017 10:13 am

I'm very happy to see Code Black back. Last show had me sure it was finale, & a tasteful one at that.

A lot I've been reading (interviews w/ star about his injuries doing stunts, mainly) plus this year's last show had me convinced Hawaii was done. But its on schedule.