Comey fired

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Beebs52
Queen of Wack

Comey fired

#1 Post by Beebs52 » Tue May 09, 2017 4:50 pm

He would have lost his job if Clinton had won, too.
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: Comey fired

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Tue May 09, 2017 5:13 pm

Beebs52 wrote:He would have lost his job if Clinton had won, too.
That may well be correct. Ironically, the Deputy Attorney General appears to have recommended his firing because of what he said publicly about the investigation into Secretary Clinton's e-mails and I can't disagree with that rationale. I'm very skeptical that this was Donny's actual reason for pulling the trigger and I expect the Senate to vet the new Director very, very carefully, but that is what the Deputy Attorney General wrote. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#3 Post by Beebs52 » Tue May 09, 2017 5:41 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
That may well be correct. Ironically, the Deputy Attorney General appears to have recommended his firing because of what he said publicly about the investigation into Secretary Clinton's e-mails and I can't disagree with that rationale. I'm very skeptical that this was Donny's actual reason for pulling the trigger and I expect the Senate to vet the new Director very, very carefully, but that is what the Deputy Attorney General wrote. --Bob
Exactly.
Well, then

earendel

#4 Post by earendel » Wed May 10, 2017 5:18 am

Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Exactly.
But the rationale for firing Comey eludes me - the claim was that his handling of the Clinton emails was the reason; yet Trump extolled Comey back in October, saluting his courage, etc. Why the sudden change of heart?
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Pastor Fireball

#5 Post by Pastor Fireball » Wed May 10, 2017 7:09 am

earendel wrote:But the rationale for firing Comey eludes me - the claim was that his handling of the Clinton emails was the reason; yet Trump extolled Comey back in October, saluting his courage, etc. Why the sudden change of heart?
Comey must have gotten too close to the truth about Russia. It was a Tuesday Night Massacre.
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

silverscreenselect

#6 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed May 10, 2017 7:21 am

For what it's worth; I doubt Hillary would have fired Comey. The right wing media and Congressional Republicans would be screaming impeachment.

But for those with short memories, what really soured the public on Nixon, as in his plummet to single digit approval ratings, was his firing of Cox. I also thought it interesting Trump started out by praising Comey for not implicating him personally in the investigation.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#7 Post by Bob78164 » Wed May 10, 2017 9:38 am

earendel wrote:But the rationale for firing Comey eludes me - the claim was that his handling of the Clinton emails was the reason; yet Trump extolled Comey back in October, saluting his courage, etc. Why the sudden change of heart?
I think this will accelerate the process of people figuring out that when a sentence begins, "Trump said," there's no reason to bother reading the rest of the sentence. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#8 Post by Bob Juch » Wed May 10, 2017 9:50 am

Bob78164 wrote:
I think this will accelerate the process of people figuring out that when a sentence begins, "Trump said," there's no reason to bother reading the rest of the sentence. --Bob
Sure there is. The opposite is the truth.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Pastor Fireball

#9 Post by Pastor Fireball » Wed May 10, 2017 10:12 am

Looks like Melissa McCarthy will have fresh material for Saturday night.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... 1dc099b3ed
White House press secretary Sean Spicer wrapped up his brief interview with Fox Business from the White House grounds late Tuesday night and then disappeared into the shadows, huddling with his staff behind a tall hedge. To get back to his office, Spicer would have to pass a swarm of reporters wanting to know why President Trump suddenly decided to fire the FBI director.

After Spicer spent several minutes hidden in the bushes behind these sets, Janet Montesi, an executive assistant in the press office, emerged and told reporters that Spicer would answer some questions, as long as he was not filmed doing so. Spicer then emerged.

“Just turn the lights off. Turn the lights off,” he ordered. “We'll take care of this. ... Can you just turn that light off?”

Spicer got his wish and was soon standing in near darkness between two tall hedges, with more than a dozen reporters closely gathered around him. For 10 minutes, he responded to a flurry of questions, vacillating between light-hearted asides and clear frustration with getting the same questions over and over again.
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

silverscreenselect

#10 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed May 10, 2017 10:28 am

What Trump's firing of Comey reminds me of:

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#11 Post by Bob78164 » Sun May 14, 2017 6:16 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Exactly.
So here's the thing. It's pretty clear at this point that Republican members of Congress won't do anything to rein in Donny's excesses. Not unless their constituents require them to do so. My Congressional representatives are Democrats so I can already count on them to hold him accountable, but that's not going to be enough. In Texas, however, you have two Republican Senators, one of whom is up for re-election in 2018. I hope I can count on you to pressure them to start executing their role to impose checks and balances on the Executive Branch, and to follow through with a vote against them if they don't do so. Because I'm pretty sure nothing less than that will do the trick. --Bob

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#12 Post by Beebs52 » Sun May 14, 2017 7:19 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:That may well be correct. Ironically, the Deputy Attorney General appears to have recommended his firing because of what he said publicly about the investigation into Secretary Clinton's e-mails and I can't disagree with that rationale. I'm very skeptical that this was Donny's actual reason for pulling the trigger and I expect the Senate to vet the new Director very, very carefully, but that is what the Deputy Attorney General wrote. --Bob
Exactly.
So here's the thing. It's pretty clear at this point that Republican members of Congress won't do anything to rein in Donny's excesses. Not unless their constituents require them to do so. My Congressional representatives are Democrats so I can already count on them to hold him accountable, but that's not going to be enough. In Texas, however, you have two Republican Senators, one of whom is up for re-election in 2018. I hope I can count on you to pressure them to start executing their role to impose checks and balances on the Executive Branch, and to follow through with a vote against them if they don't do so. Because I'm pretty sure nothing less than that will do the trick. --Bob
Seriously, bless your heart. I mean that in the suthren way. Give it up.
Well, then

Bob Juch

#13 Post by Bob Juch » Mon May 15, 2017 6:46 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:That may well be correct. Ironically, the Deputy Attorney General appears to have recommended his firing because of what he said publicly about the investigation into Secretary Clinton's e-mails and I can't disagree with that rationale. I'm very skeptical that this was Donny's actual reason for pulling the trigger and I expect the Senate to vet the new Director very, very carefully, but that is what the Deputy Attorney General wrote. --Bob
Exactly.
Our two Republican Senators here are quite critical of Trump.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#14 Post by Bob78164 » Mon May 15, 2017 9:30 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Exactly.
Words are wind. What will they do about it? --Bob

elwoodblues

#15 Post by elwoodblues » Mon May 15, 2017 11:35 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Exactly.
John McCain will say some tough things before he inevitably toes the party line.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#16 Post by Bob78164 » Tue May 16, 2017 3:46 pm

The President of the United States directly attempted to interfere with the investigation into Michael Flynn. This is pretty much exactly what Richard Nixon faced impeachment for. --Bob

silverscreenselect

#17 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue May 16, 2017 3:55 pm

Bob78164 wrote:The President of the United States directly attempted to interfere with the investigation into Michael Flynn. This is pretty much exactly what Richard Nixon faced impeachment for. --Bob
In the words of Gomer Pyle, "Surprise, surprise, surprise."

Here's my prediction:

1) within six hours, various Trump surrogates will issue denials and claims that the NYT fabricated the story.

2) within 48 hours, Trump will admit the story is true via Tweet or in an interview and but claim that it was legal because he's the President and justified for some reasons known only to Trump

3) within 12 hours of that, Ryan, McConnell et al will parrot Trump's assertions that what he did was legal and then say that it's time to get back to the important issues of gutting healthcare and giving the rich massive tax breaks.

jarnon

#18 Post by jarnon » Wed May 17, 2017 4:03 pm

Former FBI director Robert Mueller will be the special counsel investigating Russian interference in the election.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#19 Post by Bob78164 » Thu May 18, 2017 2:14 pm

Deputy Attorney General Rosenstein acknowledged to the Senate that he knew before writing his memo that Comey was going to be fired. --Bob

silverscreenselect

#20 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri May 19, 2017 10:02 pm

Now, we hear that Trump described Comey as a "nut job" to the visiting Russians and that dismissing him meant that the pressure of the FBI investigation had been taken off. Not surprisingly, Comey has now agreed to testify before the open Senate in a session that I'm sure will get extensive coverage.

It's significant that the White House didn't deny the "nut job" story, nor another one that a current White House official is now under investigation in the probe (since the story said current, it doesn't refer to Flynn or Manafort).

BackInTex

#21 Post by BackInTex » Sat May 20, 2017 4:40 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:Now, we hear that Trump described Comey as a "nut job" to the visiting Russians and that dismissing him meant that the pressure of the FBI investigation had been taken off. Not surprisingly, Comey has now agreed to testify before the open Senate in a session that I'm sure will get extensive coverage.

It's significant that the White House didn't deny the "nut job" story, nor another one that a current White House official is now under investigation in the probe (since the story said current, it doesn't refer to Flynn or Manafort).
We also heard Michelle Obama has a penis. I'll give this the same amount of credibility.

BTW, what are the sources? Unnamed, I'll bet. Because the sources weren't even there.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#22 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat May 20, 2017 7:17 pm

BackInTex wrote: BTW, what are the sources? Unnamed, I'll bet. Because the sources weren't even there.
Deep Throat was an unnamed source for decades, but he revealed some pretty accurate information. Naming the source means the source no longer works in the Trump administration.

Any single story can be wrong, but you've got too many news outlets separately confirming these various stories. And Trump himself often seems to confirm them.

Despite what you, Flock, and Trump seem to think, the major news organizations aren't interested in publishing fantasy hatchet jobs when there are simply too many people willing to spill the beans. My hunch is that in the next 3-4 years, when these sources have left the White House that a number of them will be publishing their stories on the record.

Say what you will about Nixon but he inspired loyalty in a lot of his staff, which is why getting the goods on him proved somewhat difficult. Trump has burned so many of his staff that there's absolutely no personal loyalty. And, in many cases, people who support him leak the stories (like the one about revealing secret information to the Russians) just so that the blowback will get Trump's attention and hopefully get him to shape up.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#23 Post by Bob78164 » Sat May 20, 2017 11:08 pm

BackInTex wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:Now, we hear that Trump described Comey as a "nut job" to the visiting Russians and that dismissing him meant that the pressure of the FBI investigation had been taken off. Not surprisingly, Comey has now agreed to testify before the open Senate in a session that I'm sure will get extensive coverage.

We also heard Michelle Obama has a penis. I'll give this the same amount of credibility.

BTW, what are the sources? Unnamed, I'll bet. Because the sources weren't even there.
They didn't need to be there. There's a transcript. Two, if you count the Russians'. --Bob

BackInTex

#24 Post by BackInTex » Sun May 21, 2017 6:49 am

Bob78164 wrote: They didn't need to be there. There's a transcript. Two, if you count the Russians'. --Bob
Who transcribed? How were they transcribed? From a tape, memory, or live? Have they been published? Are they word for word the same?
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#25 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun May 21, 2017 7:19 am

Bob78164 wrote: They didn't need to be there. There's a transcript. Two, if you count the Russians'. --Bob
Putin has already volunteered to make his version of the transcript public to "prove" that Trump didn't reveal any sensitive information or do anything untoward during the meetings. Not the recordings but the transcript.