Transcript 5/30/2017 Kerry O'Connell (BB kerryoakie)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 5/30/2017 Kerry O'Connell (BB kerryoakie)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Wed May 31, 2017 3:29 pm

Kerry O'Connell (BB kerryoakie)
Indianapolis, IN

$500 :
Which of the following is one of "15 Hilarious Church Signs" found on the web and NOT one of the actual Ten Commandments?
A: Thou shalt not kill B: Thou shalt not steal
C: Thou shalt not commit adultery D: Thou shalt not park here

Spoiler
D: Thou shalt not park here

$1000 :
Not returned until 221 years later, which of these books did George Washington check out from a New York library in 1789?
A: What to Expect When You're Expecting B: The Law of Nations
C: Who Moved My Cheese? D: The South Beach Diet

Spoiler
B: The Law of Nations

$2000 :
Each spring, a Maryland arts council hosts an event called PEEPshow, where local artists display their "masterpieces" made primarily with what?
A: Popsicle sticks B: Chewing gum
C: Marshmallow candies D: Cinderblocks

Spoiler
C: Marshmallow candies

$3000 :
With its four vibrant colors that illuminate like disco lights, it's fitting that the game Simon had its 1978 release party at what former NYC hotspot?
A: The Cotton Club B: Tavern on the Green
C: Studio 54 D: The Russian Tea Room

Spoiler
C: Studio 54

$5000 :
Of all the appliances tracked by the U.S. Census Bureau, which of these is the most ubiquitous, found in 99.2% of American households?
A: Refrigerator B: Washing machine
C: Air conditioner D: Landline telephone

Spoiler
A: Refrigerator

Second break

$7000 :
On Billboard.com's list of all the "Songs of the Summer" since 1959, what #1 song was performed by an artist with the last name of Summer?
A: Bette Davis Eyes B: Time After Time
C: Bad Girls D: Physical

Spoiler
C: Bad Girls

$10K :
You will NOT find two adjacent U.S. states whose names begin with which of these pairs of letters?
A: F and G B: L and M
C: O and P D: T and U

Spoiler
D: T and U

$20K :
What is Baltusrol?
A: Scottish castle B: Brand of shaving products
C: New Jersey golf course D: Culinary school

Spoiler
A: 46% B: 13%
C: 30% D: 11%

Kerry said it kind of sounded Scottish and went with the audience

Spoiler
C: New Jersey golf course

Kerry left with $5000

Third break

QotD: The famous train robber Butch Cassidy headed up a loosely-organized group of outlaws known as what?
A: The Motley Crew B: The Ragtag Pack
C: The Rough Gang D: The Wild Bunch

Spoiler
D: The Wild Bunch
Last edited by BBTranscriptTeam on Wed May 31, 2017 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kerryoakie

Re: Transcript 5/30/2017 Kerry O'Connell

#2 Post by kerryoakie » Wed May 31, 2017 6:13 pm

Hey, this is me!

Feel free to ask any questions about the episode or make fun of my awkward faces that I made.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#3 Post by Bob78164 » Wed May 31, 2017 10:33 pm

kerryoakie wrote:Hey, this is me!

Feel free to ask any questions about the episode or make fun of my awkward faces that I made.
Hi, Kerry! Nice to "see" you again. (Kerry was in the same taping group as Andrew until that day's taping got flooded out, so when I served as his Plus One I got to meet her in person.) My reasoning on the $20,000 question duplicated yours precisely. I don't know whether the secondary spike in the ATA results would have given me pause. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

kerryoakie

#4 Post by kerryoakie » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:44 am

Hi, Kerry! Nice to "see" you again. (Kerry was in the same taping group as Andrew until that day's taping got flooded out, so when I served as his Plus One I got to meet her in person.) My reasoning on the $20,000 question duplicated yours precisely. I don't know whether the secondary spike in the ATA results would have given me pause. --Bob
Hi Bob!

I've finally come to peace with missing the 20k, though my personal goal was to finish with at least 50k. I think it was an especially tough question since there were no context clues to go off, meaning I either had to know what Baltusrol was or the intended answers for A (Balmoral), B (Barbasol), and D (still no clue...). This may be a case where the writers in NYC forgot that there's an entire country other than the East Coast that may not be as familiar with prestigious golf course names in New Jersey.

eyégor
???????

#5 Post by eyégor » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:24 am

kerryoakie wrote:
Hi Bob!

I've finally come to peace with missing the 20k, though my personal goal was to finish with at least 50k. I think it was an especially tough question since there were no context clues to go off, meaning I either had to know what Baltusrol was or the intended answers for A (Balmoral), B (Barbasol), and D (still no clue...). This may be a case where the writers in NYC forgot that there's an entire country other than the East Coast that may not be as familiar with prestigious golf course names in New Jersey.
D's intended answer was Ballymaloe, a culinary school in Ireland

ghostjmf

Re: Transcript 5/30/2017 Kerry O'Connell (BB kerryoakie)

#6 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:26 pm

20K: Urp. Well, it *sounds* like a Scottish castle. Or a NJ golf course, prolly built by some guy who likes Scottish castles. +1

My condolences, Kerry. I didn't get to watch because a power failure* took my VCRs out for the week, & I was away.

Won't make you feel better but there may well be more Scottish castles than Balmoral that *sound* like Balmoral, which I * have* heard of. I had never, ever heard of this golf course despite having lived on the east coast since 70/71.

*we get these mysterious 20-second power failures all the time, which take out anything on a timer. Would a DVR fare better? They now make converter boxes with built-in DVR, & an ability to record to a flash drive. I'm not so convinced that the flash drive program would be interpreble by any other machine than the one that recorded it, though.
Last edited by ghostjmf on Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrkelley23

#7 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:38 pm

kerryoakie wrote:
Hi Bob!

East coasters, but also PGA golf fans, who probably watched one of golf's four majors last year, the PGA championship, which took place at Baltusrol.

FWIW, as only a marginal fan, I was debating which one was the golf course, A or C. I knew I'd heard of both, but couldn't remember which was which.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:51 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Kerry O'Connell (BB kerryoakie)
Indianapolis, IN
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$20K :
What is Baltusrol?
Spoiler

Spoiler

Kerry left with $5000
Tough break. I would probably have done the same thing.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#9 Post by SportsFan68 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:25 pm

$20K :
What is Baltusrol?

Spoiler

Spoiler

Kerry left with $5000
I'm doomed too. Good job, Kerryoakie.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller