WWTBAM Bored

A home for the weary.
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:39 pm 
Offline
Keeper of the Transcripts
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:00 am
Posts: 4318
MI - 16009i

Andrea Sutterfield (new BB dreatron)
Diamond Bar, CA
Andrea is dedicating her game to her 94-year-old grandma.
Andrea still has her 50/50 & her +1

$10,000
Most Germans polled in a recent survey said they'd support a speed limit on the Autobahn of 150 kilometers/hour, which is equivalent to what?
A: 66 mph B: 78 mph
C: 93 mph D: 107 mph

Andrea knows there are 3.something miles in 5 kilometers thanks to races. She says 10 kilometers is 6.6 miles and almost goes with A but then figures she needs 66 and half of 66
[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
C: 93 mph

$20,000
Moving from head to toe, which of these correctly lists the order of where on your body you'd wear the following items of clothing?
A: Biretta, henley, espadrille B: Tunic, bicorne, chopine
C: Brogan, sweater, toque D: Skimmer, skort, deerstalker

Andrea rules out D because she knows a deerstalker is a hat. She knows a henley is a shirt and espadrilles are shoes but doesn't know biretta. Brogues are shoes, so she thinks brogans might also be shoes. She knows tunic is a shirt. She's sure C and D have items that are out of order.
[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
A: Biretta, henley, espadrille

Andrea has tears in her eyes because she studied abroad and has $100,000 of student loans so this money can really help change her life by knocking those debts down.

$30,000
If you go by their two nearest points, the distance between which of these pairs of places is the shortest?
A: England and France B: Mozambique and Madagascar
C: Italy and Sicily D: Spain and Morocco

Andrea has ridden the ferry between England & France and Spain & Morocco
[Reveal] Spoiler: 50/50
50/50 leaves Italy and Sicily & Spain and Morocco.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
Andrea guesses Spain and Morocco
The correct answer is C: Italy and Sicily (only 2 miles apart)
Andrea wins $5,000

First commercial break


Last edited by BBTranscriptTeam on Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:09 am
Posts: 7124
30K: I'd have 50/50'd too & still effed this up. No, I'd call +1 at this point, which could be my sister who lived in Europe 30+ years.


Last edited by ghostjmf on Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:33 pm
Posts: 3945
Location: Planet 10
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$30,000
If you go by their two nearest points, the distance between which of these pairs of places is the shortest?
A: England and France B: Mozambique and Madagascar
C: Italy and Sicily D: Spain and Morocco

Andrea has ridden the ferry between England & France and Spain & Morocco
[Reveal] Spoiler: 50/50
50/50 leaves Italy and Sicily & Spain and Morocco.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
Andrea guesses Spain and Morocco
The correct answer is C: Italy and Sicily (only 2 miles apart)
Andrea wins $5,000

First commercial break


Isn't the distance between Italy and Sicily
[Reveal] Spoiler:
zero miles? Sicily is part of Italy. Italy is not just the peninsula.

_________________
No matter where you go, there you are.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:25 am
Posts: 12605
Location: mired in the bureaucracy
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
Andrea Sutterfield
Diamond Bar, CA
Andrea is dedicating her game to her 94-year-old grandma.
Andrea still has her 50/50 & her +1


BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$30,000
If you go by their two nearest points, the distance between which of these pairs of places is the shortest?
A: England and France B: Mozambique and Madagascar
C: Italy and Sicily D: Spain and Morocco

Andrea has ridden the ferry between England & France and Spain & Morocco
[Reveal] Spoiler: 50/50
50/50 leaves Italy and Sicily & Spain and Morocco.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
Andrea guesses Spain and Morocco
The correct answer is C: Italy and Sicily (only 2 miles apart)
Andrea wins $5,000

It's not A or B. Spain & Morocco are pretty close but not as close as Sicily & Italy.

_________________
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:33 pm
Posts: 2040
Location: Richmond VA
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$10,000
Most Germans polled in a recent survey said they'd support a speed limit on the Autobahn of 150 kilometers/hour, which is equivalent to what?
A: 66 mph B: 78 mph
C: 93 mph D: 107 mph

Andrea knows there are 3.something miles in 5 kilometers thanks to races. She says 10 kilometers is 6.6 miles and almost goes with A but then figures she needs 66 and half of 66
[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
C: 93 mph

Just for comparisons, when I was in Germany last year, I drove the little rental car (a SEAT Leon, compact car about the size of a Honda Fit, with 6-speed manual diesel) on the autobahn and got to 200 kph (125 mph) -- and was getting passed like crazy.

_________________
#ignorehashtags


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:09 am
Posts: 7124
I don't wanna go that fast anywhere. I get forced up to 80 on route 95 by traffic & it scares me. Also thought of a speeding ticket.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:33 pm
Posts: 3945
Location: Planet 10
andrewjackson wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$30,000
If you go by their two nearest points, the distance between which of these pairs of places is the shortest?
A: England and France B: Mozambique and Madagascar
C: Italy and Sicily D: Spain and Morocco

Andrea has ridden the ferry between England & France and Spain & Morocco
[Reveal] Spoiler: 50/50
50/50 leaves Italy and Sicily & Spain and Morocco.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
Andrea guesses Spain and Morocco
The correct answer is C: Italy and Sicily (only 2 miles apart)
Andrea wins $5,000

First commercial break


Isn't the distance between Italy and Sicily
[Reveal] Spoiler:
zero miles? Sicily is part of Italy. Italy is not just the peninsula.


Now that I think about it
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Spain and Morocco are also almost touching. There are two portions of Spain, Ceuta and Melilla, on coast of Africa right next to Morocco. There are neutral zones but they are both very narrow.

Image

Image

_________________
No matter where you go, there you are.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 7:13 pm
Posts: 358
I came here to ask about that. They are "autonomous cities", so do they count as part of Spain?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:07 pm 
Offline
Bored Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:11 pm
Posts: 6462
andrewjackson wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$30,000
If you go by their two nearest points, the distance between which of these pairs of places is the shortest?
A: England and France B: Mozambique and Madagascar
C: Italy and Sicily D: Spain and Morocco

Andrea has ridden the ferry between England & France and Spain & Morocco
[Reveal] Spoiler: 50/50
50/50 leaves Italy and Sicily & Spain and Morocco.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
Andrea guesses Spain and Morocco
The correct answer is C: Italy and Sicily (only 2 miles apart)
Andrea wins $5,000

First commercial break


Isn't the distance between Italy and Sicily
[Reveal] Spoiler:
zero miles? Sicily is part of Italy. Italy is not just the peninsula.

You're right. This is a terrible question, and just plain wrong.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 7:13 pm
Posts: 358
An Instagram post by Andrea was reposted by the Millionaire account. I left her a comment inviting her to the Bored to join in on the discussion.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:12 pm
Posts: 2
K.P. wrote:
An Instagram post by Andrea was reposted by the Millionaire account. I left her a comment inviting her to the Bored to join in on the discussion.


Can you post what that was? That question was all kinds of wrong.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 7:13 pm
Posts: 358
alietr wrote:
K.P. wrote:
An Instagram post by Andrea was reposted by the Millionaire account. I left her a comment inviting her to the Bored to join in on the discussion.


Can you post what that was? That question was all kinds of wrong.


https://www.instagram.com/p/BZRWKLRAT16/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:33 pm
Posts: 3945
Location: Planet 10
K.P. wrote:
I came here to ask about that. They are "autonomous cities", so do they count as part of Spain?


Ceuta and Mellila are definitely part of Spain. The autonomous city part refers to their role in the Spanish quasi-federalist system. The national government holds all sovereignty but has devolved some powers to regional governments. Most of those are provinces but some cities also have their own governmental powers.

_________________
No matter where you go, there you are.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:58 am
Posts: 21971
Location: Oro Valley, Arizona
andrewjackson wrote:
andrewjackson wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$30,000
If you go by their two nearest points, the distance between which of these pairs of places is the shortest?
A: England and France B: Mozambique and Madagascar
C: Italy and Sicily D: Spain and Morocco

Andrea has ridden the ferry between England & France and Spain & Morocco
[Reveal] Spoiler: 50/50
50/50 leaves Italy and Sicily & Spain and Morocco.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
Andrea guesses Spain and Morocco
The correct answer is C: Italy and Sicily (only 2 miles apart)
Andrea wins $5,000

First commercial break


Isn't the distance between Italy and Sicily
[Reveal] Spoiler:
zero miles? Sicily is part of Italy. Italy is not just the peninsula.


Now that I think about it
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Spain and Morocco are also almost touching. There are two portions of Spain, Ceuta and Melilla, on coast of Africa right next to Morocco. There are neutral zones but they are both very narrow.

Image

Image

Isla de Perejil? That's Parsley Island. I wonder what the history is.

_________________
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:18 pm
Posts: 1
Hi all thanks for getting in touch!

I agree that the question was very poorly worded. My guess was that they had originally written it as which two "countries" but then someone told them that Sicely wasn't a country. TBH I wasn't sure where Sicely was located in relation to the mainland and thought that it was off further like Sardinia.

That being said you have all brought up a great point that Spain and Morocco are literally touching. Is there any sort of protocol to contest this?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:57 pm
Posts: 73
dreatron wrote:
Hi all thanks for getting in touch!

I agree that the question was very poorly worded. My guess was that they had originally written it as which two "countries" but then someone told them that Sicely wasn't a country. TBH I wasn't sure where Sicely was located in relation to the mainland and thought that it was off further like Sardinia.

That being said you have all brought up a great point that Spain and Morocco are literally touching. Is there any sort of protocol to contest this?

General protocol is, reach out to your producer and try to reach out to the lawyer. I don't think his information was in any of the packets we originally got (perhaps in the general waiver/rules?) but you want to reach out to the lawyer about a poorly-worded/misleading question.

Good luck!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:46 pm 
Offline
Bored Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Posts: 17354
Location: By the phone
dreatron wrote:
Hi all thanks for getting in touch!

I agree that the question was very poorly worded. My guess was that they had originally written it as which two "countries" but then someone told them that Sicely wasn't a country. TBH I wasn't sure where Sicely was located in relation to the mainland and thought that it was off further like Sardinia.

That being said you have all brought up a great point that Spain and Morocco are literally touching. Is there any sort of protocol to contest this?
Welcome aBored! I don't often say this, but I think this challenge is righteous. You have a PM. --Bob

_________________
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 2:47 pm
Posts: 17
Was there any more news on this? I would have also said Spain/Morocco, knowing there is a Spanish exclave (enclave?) right there. Didn't know there was neutral territory, so I would have said Spain borders Morocco on that account. Kind of like how France and the Netherlands border each other on St. Martin.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:58 am
Posts: 21971
Location: Oro Valley, Arizona
IronmanTim wrote:
Was there any more news on this? I would have also said Spain/Morocco, knowing there is a Spanish exclave (enclave?) right there. Didn't know there was neutral territory, so I would have said Spain borders Morocco on that account. Kind of like how France and the Netherlands border each other on St. Martin.

The Strait of Gibraltar is 8.7 miles wide.

_________________
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:52 pm
Posts: 4201
Location: Merion, Pa.
Bob Juch wrote:
The Strait of Gibraltar is 8.7 miles wide.
You’ve forgotten what the issue is. Go read the previous posts and study the maps.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:41 am 
Offline
Evil Genius
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:16 am
Posts: 9192
Location: Garden Grove, CA
jarnon wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
The Strait of Gibraltar is 8.7 miles wide.
You’ve forgotten what the issue is. Go read the previous posts and study the maps.
He has difficulty comprehending words and pictures! :lol:

_________________
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:31 am
Posts: 6333
Location: Montana
SpacemanSpiff wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$10,000
Most Germans polled in a recent survey said they'd support a speed limit on the Autobahn of 150 kilometers/hour, which is equivalent to what?
A: 66 mph B: 78 mph
C: 93 mph D: 107 mph

Andrea knows there are 3.something miles in 5 kilometers thanks to races. She says 10 kilometers is 6.6 miles and almost goes with A but then figures she needs 66 and half of 66
[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
C: 93 mph

Just for comparisons, when I was in Germany last year, I drove the little rental car (a SEAT Leon, compact car about the size of a Honda Fit, with 6-speed manual diesel) on the autobahn and got to 200 kph (125 mph) -- and was getting passed like crazy.


Yeah, it's a bit intimidating.

_________________
The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself. And clowns.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:58 am
Posts: 21971
Location: Oro Valley, Arizona
jarnon wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
The Strait of Gibraltar is 8.7 miles wide.
You’ve forgotten what the issue is. Go read the previous posts and study the maps.

Are you referring to the Spanish exclave part? I wasn't addressing that. I disregarded that as the production did. That would be like saying France is ten miles away from Canada.

_________________
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:52 pm
Posts: 4201
Location: Merion, Pa.
Bob Juch wrote:
Are you referring to the Spanish exclave part? I wasn't addressing that. I disregarded that as the production did. That would be like saying France is ten miles away from Canada.
France is ten miles away from Canada. And America is three miles from Russia.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:58 am
Posts: 21971
Location: Oro Valley, Arizona
jarnon wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
Are you referring to the Spanish exclave part? I wasn't addressing that. I disregarded that as the production did. That would be like saying France is ten miles away from Canada.
France is ten miles away from Canada. And America is three miles from Russia.

2.5 but that's indisputable.

_________________
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Americanized by Maël Soucaze.