R.I.P. Tom Petty

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BackInTex

R.I.P. Tom Petty

#1 Post by BackInTex » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:56 pm

:(

Report: Tom Petty pulled off life support after being found unconscious
om Petty was found unconscious Sunday night and was rushed to the hospital, according to TMZ.

TMZ reports Petty was not breathing and was in full cardiac arrest.

Petty was rushed to UCLA Santa Monica Hospital where he was put on life support, TMZ reports.

TMZ reports Petty is brain dead and life support will be pulled.

Petty, 66, is best known for being the lead singer of "Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers," with several hits to his credit.

Petty was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2002.

Update: He has passed
Tom Petty, the rocker best known as the frontman of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, is dead at 66, CBS News has confirmed.

The legendary musician suffered a full cardiac arrest and was found unconscious and not breathing in his Malibu home Sunday night. He was taken to UCLA Santa Monica Hospital and put on life support, reports TMZ.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Pastor Fireball

Re: R.I.P. Tom Petty

#2 Post by Pastor Fireball » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:50 pm

This definitely sucks. Several of his songs have been in the soundtrack to my life, especially "I Won't Back Down".
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

elwoodblues

#3 Post by elwoodblues » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:53 pm

Man, that's a shocker. I liked a lot of his songs.

Let's hear Free Fallin' one more time.

Bob Juch

#4 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:30 pm

He shot this here in Tucson:

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#5 Post by T_Bone0806 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:50 pm

Yeah, this was a shocker. My first reaction was shock, followed closely by anger. Jeez, Grim Reaper, can you leave us with a FEW classic rockers please? You're really pissing me off.

I posted this on Facebook:

I've told this story before, but in tribute to Mr. Petty, I'ma tell it again. Tom Petty provided what is probably the coolest concert moment I have ever experienced...and I have seen many. It was in Rochester, would've been somewhere around 1980 give or take a year. The band had just started up the sleek, slinky intro to "Breakdown" when some nimrod set off a firecracker. Petty slowly sauntered up to the microphone, in PERFECT time to the music, and drawled "Only a real asshole would set off a firecracker in a crowded auditorium"...then slowly stepped back, AGAIN in PERFECT time to the music, as the band went into the intro proper. I remember clear as day thinking "that's gotta be the coolest guy on the planet'. You'd swear it was all scripted, it was so perfect. RIP, Tom.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#6 Post by T_Bone0806 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:53 pm

I also remarked that there are now only 2 Wilburys still travelling, Dylan and Jeff Lynne. Petty joins Roy and George in the Heavenly Wilburys.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#7 Post by T_Bone0806 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:03 pm

"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Jeemie

#8 Post by Jeemie » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:13 pm

T_Bone0806 wrote:New report says he's still with us

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/celebri ... li=BBnbfcL
OK...maybe in poor taste but I can't help it. Don't click the spoiler if you don't want to watch:

Spoiler
1979 City of Champions 2009

jarnon

#9 Post by jarnon » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:35 pm

Reminds me of how CBS (and I :oops: ) reported Joe Pa's death 12 hours too soon.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38182
The Poynter Institute's Craig Silverman has a term to describe it, "obiticide," which he defines as premature death by media.

"There's been lot of cases of this," Silverman said. "Before he actually died, Pope John Paul (II) had been declared dead at least twice. Bob Hope had been declared dead before he actually died.

"It happens to people in the public eye, especially when they get to a certain age or when they're ill."
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Vandal
Director of Promos

#10 Post by Vandal » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:38 am

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#11 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:23 am

elwoodblues wrote:Man, that's a shocker. I liked a lot of his songs.

Let's hear Free Fallin' one more time.

Let's not. I turned down the radio when this got played on the way home from work this morning...

Liked and even loved a lot of Tom's stuff, and am sorry he is gone. But this song should've went with him...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

Jeemie

#12 Post by Jeemie » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:51 am

OK- we'll do this one.

No one can hate "I Won't Back down".

BTW, Tom Petty is one of those rare rockers in my experience in that I don't know anyone that hated him as a singer.
1979 City of Champions 2009

Ritterskoop

#13 Post by Ritterskoop » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:24 pm

Jeemie wrote:
BTW, Tom Petty is one of those rare rockers in my experience in that I don't know anyone that hated him as a singer.
I'll raise my hand to be the first.

Not hated, but avoided. He had a nasally thing going on that makes me cringe. Loved his work with the Traveling Wilburys as long as he wasn't a solo lead. Same with Dylan, for mostly the same reason, though he also has a thing where he slides up into a note that makes me crazy.

So three of the main five Wilburys were good for me, and four if you count Del Shannon.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

jarnon

#14 Post by jarnon » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:47 am

An autopsy shows that Tom died of an accidental prescription drug overdose.

Also, Roy Halladay’s autopsy reveals that he was on prescription drugs. Unwise during recreational flying.
Last edited by jarnon on Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

ghostjmf

#15 Post by ghostjmf » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:20 am

A lot of people have to learn not to self-medicate. To live with pain.

Right now I'm in terrible pain from what my doctor says is bursitis. I've had arthritis in that hip for years. Absolutely no medical exams have been given, beside the hip having been rotated. And my heel on the other leg hurts too. I can barely walk.

I have been before in a position, with plantar fasciitis, where my doctor says "you can't have that because you weren't in enough pain when I manipulated the area". Then the x-ray showed I *did* have it.

In one way I'm lucky that painkillers, other than local anaesthetics like novocain, don't work very well on me. When I had major surgery the opiods didn't work very well. (I was told "oh, they're working. You'd be in more pain if we stopped them". But when I was home & *did* stop them, the pain was about the same.)

In a way I don't *want* to find something that works well for this hip, because I want the problem cured. Not covered over. But I fear if something *did* work, it would be hard to stop taking it.
Last edited by ghostjmf on Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bob Juch

#16 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:26 am

ghostjmf wrote:A lot of people have to learn not to self-medicate. To live with pain.

Right now I'm in terrible pain from what my doctor says is bursitis. I've had arthritis in that hip for years. Absolutely no medical exams have been given, besides the hip having been rotated. And my heel on the other leg hurts too. I can barely walk.

I have been before in a position, with plantar fasciitis, where my doctor says "you can't have that because you weren't in enough pain when I manipulated the area." Then the x-ray showed I *did* have it.

In one way I'm lucky that painkillers, other than local anesthetics like novocaine, don't work very well on me. When I had major surgery the opioids didn't work very well. (I was told "oh, they're working. You'd be in more pain if we stopped them".) But when I was home & *did* stop them, the pain was about the same.

In a way, I don't *want* to find something that works well for this hip because I want the problem cured. Not covered over. But I fear if something *did* work, it would be hard to stop taking it.
I have bursitis in my right hip. I just had a cortisone injection Thursday and have no pain today.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

ghostjmf

#17 Post by ghostjmf » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:17 pm

My doctor didn't even mention cortisone, they suggested exercises. Which of course I would have to walk to.

When I had plantar fasciitis, I had to hike around the hospital looking for a "standing upright" x-ray facility. Eventually I wound up at Sports Medicine. Once fasciitis was confirmed I was offered a cortisone injection, which I was afraid of.

Back when I had cycling hormones, the cycle used to cure hormonal stuff. Can't count on that anymore.

ghostjmf

#18 Post by ghostjmf » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:11 pm

Weirdly enough, some of the exercises, which of course I looked up, seem to be things I've half-done instinctually, thinking "stretching that might make me feel better". What *is* counter-instinctual is where they say "ice packs, not heat".