Transcript 10/4/17 Abhinav Karthikeyan

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 10/4/17 Abhinav Karthikeyan

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:06 pm

Abhinav Karthikeyan
14-year-old
Clarksburg, Md.

$500
When Thetis, the mother of the Greek god Achilles, dipped him into the River Styx to protect him, what part of him famously did NOT get wet?
A: Heel B: Eyebrow piercing
C: Mohawk D: “Greece Rules” tattoo

Spoiler
A: Heel

$1,000
Saving college students thousands of dollars each year, Chegg.com is a popular website that rents what?
A: Flip flops B: Textbooks
C: Frisbees D: Stolen American History term papers

Spoiler
B: Textbooks

$2,000
What mayonnaise-based condiment is also the swear word substitute of choice for SpongeBob Squarepants?
A: Hot Salsa! B: Olive Oil!
C: Tartar Sauce! D: Pickle Relish!

Spoiler
C: Tartar Sauce!

$3,000
Excluding the half dollar, what is the fewest number of U.S. coins you can use to make exactly 99 cents?
A: 7 B: 9
C: 11 D: 13

Spoiler
B: 9

$5,000
The points with the highest and lowest land elevation on Earth are located about 3,000 miles apart on what continent?
A: Asia B: North America
C: Africa D: Australia

Spoiler
A: Asia

Commercial break

$7,000
Exemplified by Pokémon Go, what technology abbreviated “AR” did Forbes name as one of its “7 Technology Trends That Will Dominate 2017?”
A: Animated resolution B: Augmented reality
C: Automated reward D: Anticipatory routing

Spoiler
A: 14% B: 70% C: 3% D: 13%

Spoiler
B: Augmented reality

$10,000
As 1-inch-high letters have a font size of 72 points, what size font would be needed to create the 45-foot-tall letters of the iconic Hollywood sign?
A: 540 points B: 3,240 pints
C: 38,880 points D: 432,000 points

Spoiler
C: 38,880 points

Commercial break

QotD
Although they were all attributed to “Carolyn Keene,” the books in what classic kids series were actually written by a number of ghostwriters?
A: Nancy Drew B: A Series of Unfortunate Events
C: Goosebumps D: Curious George

Spoiler
A: Nancy Drew

$20,000
Now believed to have been formed “just” 100 million years ago, which of the following is thought to be younger than the dinosaurs?
A: The rings of Saturn B: The Moon
C: The Milky Way D: Pluto

CTQ

Spoiler
A: The rings of Saturn

$20,000
Which of these animals can slow its metabolism enough to survive for a year on a single insect?
A: Scorpion B: Salmon
C: Platypus D: Flamingo

Spoiler
A: Scorpion

The horn
Abhinav will be back on Thursday.

earendel

Re: Transcript 10/4/17 Abhinav Karthikeyan

#2 Post by earendel » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:40 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Abhinav Karthikeyan
14-year-old
Clarksburg, Md.
He was introduced as having won the Maryland geography bee twice.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$7,000
Exemplified by Pokémon Go, what technology abbreviated “AR” did Forbes name as one of its “7 Technology Trends That Will Dominate 2017?”
A: Animated resolution B: Augmented reality
C: Automated reward D: Anticipatory routing
Spoiler
A: 14% B: 70% C: 3% D: 13%

Spoiler
B: Augmented reality
He dismissed B almost immediately; I'm surprised the audience didn't agree with him.

Nihil obstat®.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

ghostjmf

#3 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:43 pm

So far so good but not w/o agony.

Agrajag

#4 Post by Agrajag » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:33 pm

$20,000 is very interesting trivia and at home, I'm 75% sure it's Saturn's moons, but probably on the stage, I'd have a hard time being confident in it. I think the current theory on the moon's formation is still an asteroid hit while the earth was still cooling and the Milky Way was formed before the solar system, but I'm worried the de-planetation of Pluto might also be due to new theories on its formation... 50/50 will probably leave A and D, so I'll ATA and hope for a smart group?

Also, very surprised to see my wife during Abhinav's ATA (since we weren't present for the Whiz Kids Week taping)... Second row/right side/blue dress! :-)

jarnon

#5 Post by jarnon » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:41 pm

Agrajag wrote:$20,000 is very interesting trivia and at home, I'm 75% sure it's Saturn's moons, but probably on the stage, I'd have a hard time being confident in it. I think the current theory on the moon's formation is still an asteroid hit while the earth was still cooling and the Milky Way was formed before the solar system, but I'm worried the de-planetation of Pluto might also be due to new theories on its formation... 50/50 will probably leave A and D, so I'll ATA and hope for a smart group?
I found this out two weeks ago, when I watched a fascinating Nova episode about the end of the Cassini mission.
Agrajag wrote:Also, very surprised to see my wife during Abhinav's ATA (since we weren't present for the Whiz Kids Week taping)... Second row/right side/blue dress! :-)
They must have spliced* an ATA clip from another show. No other explanation makes sense.

*A word from before you were born
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

ulysses1950

#6 Post by ulysses1950 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:34 pm

They do "pick-ups" during other tapings...They filmed us a couple of times during breaks to use later and they told us much.

Agrajag

#7 Post by Agrajag » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:52 pm

jarnon wrote:
Agrajag wrote:$20,000 is very interesting trivia and at home, I'm 75% sure it's Saturn's moons, but probably on the stage, I'd have a hard time being confident in it. I think the current theory on the moon's formation is still an asteroid hit while the earth was still cooling and the Milky Way was formed before the solar system, but I'm worried the de-planetation of Pluto might also be due to new theories on its formation... 50/50 will probably leave A and D, so I'll ATA and hope for a smart group?
I found this out two weeks ago, when I watched a fascinating Nova episode about the end of the Cassini mission.
Agrajag wrote:Also, very surprised to see my wife during Abhinav's ATA (since we weren't present for the Whiz Kids Week taping)... Second row/right side/blue dress! :-)
They must have spliced* an ATA clip from another show. No other explanation makes sense.

*A word from before you were born
I still prefer film over digital, so I know splice. ;-)

Also,

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:52 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$20,000
Now believed to have been formed “just” 100 million years ago, which of the following is thought to be younger than the dinosaurs?
A: The rings of Saturn B: The Moon
C: The Milky Way D: Pluto

CTQ

Spoiler
A: The rings of Saturn
I know it's only fluff in the question, but if they're going to add fluff, the question writers better make sure it's not flawed.

Since the last of the (non-avian) dinosaurs went extinct about 66 million years ago, the rings would only be younger than some of the dinosaurs.