50,000th Topic! And Joe Mays Trophy!

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

50,000th Topic! And Joe Mays Trophy!

#1 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:07 pm

I got the 50,0000th topic and won the Joe Mays Trophy!

I forget -- how did I win it? Is there a prize?
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: 50,000th Topic! And Joe Mays Trophy!

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:23 pm

SportsFan68 wrote:I got the 50,0000th topic and won the Joe Mays Trophy!

First prize is a week with Joe Mays. Second prize . . . . --Bob (who has no idea who Joe Mays is)
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:26 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:I got the 50,0000th topic and won the Joe Mays Trophy!

First prize is a week with Joe Mays. Second prize . . . . --Bob (who has no idea who Joe Mays is)
An unheralded football player?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#4 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:35 pm

You win the Joe Mays Trophy in the the BBBL -- Bored Buddy Baseball League. I was gonna put it in the same thread where I congratsed the Aces but then saw that I could get the 50,000th topic.

But I've forgotten what you do to win it.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

flockofseagulls104

#5 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:49 pm

Joe Mays - from Wikipedia

Joe Mays is the illegitimate 8th cousin of both Willie Mays and Joe Dimaggio. He once played fantasy baseball in the BBBL, mostly for the Georgia-Arkansas Gulls. There is really no reason to go into that.... He later became Manager for the Gulls franchise and led them to several very disappointing seasons by normal, accepted standards. Since the 2010 season, he has been severed from the organization several times, but has always found a way back into the front office. Currently, he is not affiliated with the Gulls ballclub, but he exerts influence through his grandson, Joe Mays III.

But he is most well known as the creator of the philosophy of "Sub-Mediocrity".

Sub-Medicocrity recognizes that it is relatively easy to be the BEST at any activity or skill, You can aspire to it by learning, training, putting together a cohesive and effective team and many other practices. It is also relatively easy, but a bit more difficult, to be the WORST at any activity or skill. You can do that in a lot of ways. There are many people who are very skilled at being unskilled. Many of these people have found gainful employment in the US Congress. However, there is a lot of competition for being the absolute worst at a given skill or activity.

Sub Mediocrity recognizes that the most difficult goal for any skill or activity is to be the SECOND WORST. To accomplish that, you have to have just a tiny bit more aptitude for a skill than someone who doesn't have any. But you still have to suck at it. To calculate how bad a given individual is at a specific activity, Joe invented the measurement called 'Suckitude'. For his contribution to both philosophy and mathematics, Joe finished 2nd to last in the Nobel Prize voting in both 2008 and 2010.

Dr. Mays advocates the application of Sub-Mediocrity to all aspects of life, not just sports. In his affiliations with the BBBL, he has always endeavored to lead his team to finish second to last, and he has been very successful (or unsuccessful, depending on your point of view) in that goal. To give incentive for teams to accomplish this dubious feat, the BBBL has established the JOE MAYS TROPHY which is awarded to the team who finished second to last in the playoffs. In addition to the trophy, the winning team is given the second to last pick in the following year's draft.

Dr. Mays has been married several times, and is currently dating his second worst ex-wife. He also has excellent dental hygiene.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#6 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:09 pm

Thanks, Flock.

I wasn't worst. :mrgreen:

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#7 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:33 pm

Congrats on getting the 54,662nd topic on the WWTBAM Bored!

You're only a couple years too late in your try for 50,000 though. What are you using, dial up?

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

flockofseagulls104

#8 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:53 am

Well, at least you got the gusgerjoe.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Jeemie

#9 Post by Jeemie » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:36 pm

SportsFan68 wrote:You win the Joe Mays Trophy in the the BBBL -- Bored Buddy Baseball League. I was gonna put it in the same thread where I congratsed the Aces but then saw that I could get the 50,000th topic.

But I've forgotten what you do to win it.
You finish next to last in the bottom tier during the playoffs.

You suck so much, you even suck at sucking, goes the logic.
1979 City of Champions 2009

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#10 Post by SportsFan68 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:57 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:Congrats on getting the 54,662nd topic on the WWTBAM Bored!

You're only a couple years too late in your try for 50,000 though. What are you using, dial up?

lb13
At the top of the page, it says:
Post a new topic Mark topics read • 50006 topics

This was after ya'll posted six more topics after I got the 50,000th. OK, spare me and don't go into any long-winded explanations about the 50,000 being only for this section.

Still looks like 50,000 to me. :mrgreen:

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#11 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:31 pm

SportsFan68 wrote:At the top of the page, it says:

This was after ya'll posted six more topics after I got the 50,000th. OK, spare me and don't go into any long-winded explanations about the 50,000 being only for this section.

No need for long winded explanation as to why you are wrong..... just look in the url. The topic number of every post is there. Nobody is ever going to be able to go back and see that this was the 50,000th topic in this forum because you can't sort them by original post time...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#12 Post by SportsFan68 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:10 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:At the top of the page, it says:

No need for long winded explanation as to why you are wrong..... just look in the url. The topic number of every post is there. Nobody is ever going to be able to go back and see that this was the 50,000th topic in this forum because you can't sort them by original post time...

lb13
All true. Still looks like 50,000 to me. :mrgreen:

flockofseagulls104

#13 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:05 am

Give it to her, but put an asterisk with it.