Transcript 10/9/17 Ranjani Brow

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 10/9/17 Ranjani Brow

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:26 pm

Ranjani Brow
Santa Monica, CA
Ranjani is often described as adventurous.

$500
Inspired by a popular mobile app, what did New York authorities fittingly call their coordinated takedown of a statewide cockfighting ring?
A: Operation Candy Crush Saga B: Operation Temple Run
C: Operation Words with Friends D: Operation Angry Birds

Spoiler
D: Operation Angry Birds

$1,000
According to legend, the white chef's hat called a "toque blanche" has 100 folds in it, representing the 100 ways to what?
A: Make a peanut butter-and-jelly sandwich B: Microwave a frozen pizza
C: Cook an egg D: Screw up a flambé

Spoiler
C: Cook an egg

$2,000
The television static that Americans commonly call "snow" is referred to a "hangyafoci" in Hungarian, which loosely translates to what?
A: "Ant soccer" B: "Gerbil tennis"
C: "Lizard lacrosse" D: "Snake surfing"

Spoiler
A: "Ant soccer"

$3,000
In his role as the title character of 2017's "Boss Baby," Alec Baldwin references his iconic performance in "Glengarry Glen Ross" with which line?
A: "You baby-talkin' to me?[sic] B: "Show me the Mommy!"
C: "Cookies are for closers!" D: "Houston, we have a poopy."

Spoiler
C: "Cookies are for closers!"

$5,000
If you tour a former island prison that's now a national park and later travel to a former chocolate factory that's now a shopping center, you're visiting which city?
A: San Francisco B: Boston
C: Miami D: New Orleans

Spoiler
A: San Francisco

$7,000
Which of the following is a mash-up of the names of an old-school hip-hop group and the current U.S. Secretary of Education?
A: Bell Biv DeVos B: 2 Live Cruz
C: The SugarTill-erson Gange D: Reince-D.M.C.

Spoiler
A: Bell Biv DeVos

First commercial break

$10,000
A 2017 scientific paper hypothesizes that what classic painting was inspired by the rare formation of nacreous clouds over Oslo, which turned the sky blood red?
A: The Starry Night B: Water Lilies
C: The Scream D: The Son of Man

Ranjani rules out
Spoiler
Water Lilies. She thinks it might be Starry Night—she's seen that painting but can't remember the color of the sky. The Scream is the face of someone screaming and she doesn't know The Son of Man. She's leaning to Starry Night but isn't 100% sure.

Spoiler
50/50 leaves The Scream & The Son of Man.

Ranjani
Spoiler
thinks The Scream is scary looking and may have a blood-red sky.

Spoiler
C: The Scream

Second commercial break

$20,000
According to NASA, approximately what percentage of the Earth's water is salt water?
A: 31% B: 52%
C: 75% D: 97%

Ranjani thinks
Spoiler
it should be one of the higher answers and regrets using her 50/50

Spoiler
Ranjani's +1 is her friend, Jill, who was on the show last year. Jill doesn't know the answer (but she could have helped her on the last question). They talk about the Great Lakes as large bodies of fresh water but realize there's a lot of ocean. Ranjani is leaning toward C or D & Jill would say C over D but she is not sure.

Spoiler
A: 1% B: 4% C: 39% D: 56%

Spoiler
D: 97%

Third commercial break
QotD wrote: Located in an earthquake-prone region, which of these schools was attended by famed seismologist Charles Richter?
A: Yale B: Duke
C: Stanford D: Georgetown

Spoiler
C: Stanford
$30,000
WHO guidelines recommend reducing your sugar intake to roughly 25 grams a day. Which of the following has MORE than 25 grams of sugar?
A: A single 12-ounce can of Coke B: A single Frosted Strawberry Pop-Tart
C: A single Tootsie Roll Pop D: A single Oreo

Ranjani is leaning
Spoiler
between Coke and the Pop-Tart, leaning more towards Coke because the Pop-Tart is supposed to be a breakfast food

Spoiler
A: A single 12-ounce can of Coke

The horn
Ranjani will return on Tuesday

Bob Juch

Re: Transcript 10/9/17 Ranjani Brow

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:59 pm

I wonder if her parents were followers of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

K.P.

#3 Post by K.P. » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:26 am

$20K:
Spoiler
A rare counterexample to Wayne Schiff's rule that the largest and smallest numbers are not usually right.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#4 Post by Estonut » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:15 am

K.P. wrote:$20K:
Spoiler
A rare counterexample to Wayne Schiff's rule that the largest and smallest numbers are not usually right.
When did Wayne first declare that rule? It's been kicked around this board (and and it's predecessors) probably since the first season.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Estonut
Evil Genius

#5 Post by Estonut » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:19 am

Bob Juch wrote:I wonder if her parents were followers of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi?
Based on what?
Groucho Marx

ghostjmf

#6 Post by ghostjmf » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:10 am

3K: Never saw Glengarry, got this by process of elimination: knew phrases from other movies, also knew Baldwin not in them. Also, phrase sounds like parody of Mamet-speak.

7K: Never heard of Bell Biv but do know who DeVos is, unfortunately.

20K: 50/50 will leave C & D, so don't use it. Hope +1 pulls me better to D.

K.P.

#7 Post by K.P. » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:21 am

Estonut wrote:
Spoiler
When did Wayne first declare that rule? It's been kicked around this board (and and it's predecessors) probably since the first season.
Fair cop. Whenever I saw it mentioned, it was by him, so I assumed he originated it.

jarnon

#8 Post by jarnon » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:40 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$7,000
Which of the following is a mash-up of the names of an old-school hip-hop group and the current U.S. Secretary of Education?
A: Bell Biv DeVos B: 2 Live Cruz
C: The SugarTill-erson Gange D: Reince-D.M.C.

Spoiler
A: Bell Biv DeVos
Cleverly written question! There have been a few questions about Cabinet members, and there's always a risk that the official will be out of a job by the time the show airs.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$20,000
According to NASA, approximately what percentage of the Earth's water is salt water?
A: 31% B: 52%
C: 75% D: 97%

Ranjani thinks
Spoiler
it should be one of the higher answers and regrets using her 50/50

Spoiler
Ranjani's +1 is her friend, Jill, who was on the show last year. Jill doesn't know the answer (but she could have helped her on the last question). They talk about the Great Lakes as large bodies of fresh water but realize there's a lot of ocean. Ranjani is leaning toward C or D & Jill would say C over D but she is not sure.

Spoiler
A: 1% B: 4% C: 39% D: 56%

Spoiler
D: 97%
Good for the audience! Americans have been described as scientifically illiterate, but they nailed this one.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Bob Juch

#9 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:24 am

Estonut wrote:
Based on what?
Her first name.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#10 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:09 am

K.P. wrote:
Estonut wrote:
Spoiler
Fair cop. Whenever I saw it mentioned, it was by him, so I assumed he originated it.

When I was doing the MyBigFatFabulousBrain thing a decade ago, a "rule" MBFFB® liked to cite (and it was almost always true) was...

MBFFB® Rule #69: If a question involves amounts, look to see who is sitting across from you. If it is Regis, the answer is always going to be one of the amounts in the middle. If it is Meredith, the answer is always going to be one of the extremes.

For whatever reason, at least during the middle of Mere's run on SyndieBAM when I was actually reading the transcripts, the question writers shifted course on what was definitely a pretty tried and true rule on the old primetime show regarding these types of questions...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

Estonut
Evil Genius

#11 Post by Estonut » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:16 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Estonut wrote:
Based on what?
Her first name.
Because it's Hindu, or is there more? What do I need to Google to find a relationship between the name and MMY?
Groucho Marx

Bob Juch

#12 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:44 pm

Estonut wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
Estonut wrote:Based on what?
Her first name.
Because it's Hindu, or is there more? What do I need to Google to find a relationship between the name and MMY?
I don't know if you can find it with Google. I had a lot of contact with MMY's followers in the 60s and 70s. Some adopted the name Ranjani.