Decades '17 - Day 10

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
I Love the 90s!

Decades '17 - Day 10

#1 Post by I Love the 90s! » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:25 am

Decades '17 - Day 10
October 13, 2017

I Love the 90s!

SLOGANS & SPOKESPERSONS

In 1998, a beverage company began a series of advertisements as a tribute to men in overlooked professions or with humorous or eccentric traits or habits. The series name was changed after 9/11 (and adapted as a series of crappy promos, here).

Name the original title. (3 points)

Name the updated title. (3 points)

Name the beverage. (3 points)

WORDS & MUSIC

A veteran rocker released one of the first "Unplugged" albums in 1992. He went on to win Grammy Awards for Album of the Year, Record of the Year and Song of the Year.

Name the artist. (2 points)

Name the song that won Record and Song of the Year. (2 points)

Bonus: Name the soundtrack this song originally appeared on. (4 points)

LOVE & MARRIAGE

A Grammy winning singer/songwriter, half of one of the most popular duos of all time, married a folk singer 24 years his junior on May of this year.

Name the still-married couple. (4 points)

ACTORS & LINES

"I couldn't believe it was her. It was like a dream. But there she was just like I remembered her. That delicately beautiful face. And a body that could melt a cheese sandwich from across the room. And breasts that seemed to say: 'Hey! Look at these!' She was the kind of woman that made you want to drop to your knees and thank God you were a man! Yeah! She reminded me of my mother, all right. No doubt about it."

Name the movie. (3 points)

Name the character. (3 points)

Name the actor. (3 points)

Total points: 30

franktangredi

Re: Decades '17 - Day 10

#2 Post by franktangredi » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:33 am

Spoiler
SLOGANS & SPOKESPERSONS[/b]

In 1998, a beverage company began a series of advertisements as a tribute to men in overlooked professions or with humorous or eccentric traits or habits. The series name was changed after 9/11 (and adapted as a series of crappy promos, here).

REAL MEN OF COURAGE

REAL MEN OF GENIUS

BUDWEISER

WORDS & MUSIC

A veteran rocker released one of the first "Unplugged" albums in 1992. He went on to win Grammy Awards for Album of the Year, Record of the Year and Song of the Year.

ERIC CLAPTON

TEARS IN HAVEN

LOVE & MARRIAGE

A Grammy winning singer/songwriter, half of one of the most popular duos of all time, married a folk singer 24 years his junior on May of this year.

PAUL SIMON, EDIE BRICKELL

ShamelessWeasel

#3 Post by ShamelessWeasel » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:47 am

Spoiler
SLOGANS & SPOKESPERSONS
Name the original title. Real American Heroes
Name the updated title. Real men of genius
Name the beverage. Bud Light

WORDS & MUSIC
Name the artist. Eric Clapton
Name the song that won Record and Song of the Year. Tears in heaven
Bonus: Name the soundtrack this song originally appeared on. Nope

LOVE & MARRIAGE
Name the still-married couple. Paul Simon and Edie Brickell

ACTORS & LINES
I got nothing

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#4 Post by littlebeast13 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:01 am

Spoiler
SLOGANS & SPOKESPERSONS

Name the original title. (3 points) - Real American Heroes

Name the updated title. (3 points) - Real Men of Genius

Name the beverage. (3 points) - Bud Light

WORDS & MUSIC

Name the artist. (2 points) - Eric Clapton?

Name the song that won Record and Song of the Year. (2 points) - Layla? (I hope so, because I love the unplugged version of this song and HATE the original...)

LOVE & MARRIAGE

Name the still-married couple. (4 points) - Paul Simon & Edie Brickell

ACTORS & LINES

"I couldn't believe it was her. It was like a dream. But there she was just like I remembered her. That delicately beautiful face. And a body that could melt a cheese sandwich from across the room. And breasts that seemed to say: 'Hey! Look at these!' She was the kind of woman that made you want to drop to your knees and thank God you were a man! Yeah! She reminded me of my mother, all right. No doubt about it."

Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

PanicinDetroit

#5 Post by PanicinDetroit » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:29 am

Spoiler
SLOGANS & SPOKESPERSONS

Name the original title. (3 points)REAL MEN OF GENIUS

Name the updated title. (3 points)REAL AMERICAN HEROES

Name the beverage. (3 points) BUD LIGHT

WORDS & MUSIC

Name the artist. (2 points)ERIC CLAPTON

Name the song that won Record and Song of the Year. (2 points)TEARS IN HEAVEN

Bonus: Name the soundtrack this song originally appeared on. (4 points)RUSH

LOVE & MARRIAGE

Name the still-married couple. (4 points)PAUL SIMON AND EDIE BRICKELL

ACTORS & LINES

Name the movie. (3 points)NAKED GUN 2.5

Name the character. (3 points)FRANK DREBIN

Name the actor. (3 points)LESLIE NIELSEN

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#6 Post by frogman042 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:20 am

Spoiler
[quote="I Love the 90s!"]Decades '17 - Day 10
October 13, 2017

I Love the 90s!

SLOGANS & SPOKESPERSONS

Real Men of Valor

Real Men of Valor

Bud Lite

WORDS & MUSIC

Bruce Springsteen

Streets of Philadelphia

Philadelphia

LOVE & MARRIAGE

Paul Simon

Tracy Chapman

ACTORS & LINES

Dumb & Dumber

Lloyd Christmas

Jim Carey

[/quote]

Catfish

#7 Post by Catfish » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:38 am

Spoiler

Real men of
Real men of
Bud Light

Paul Simon and Edie Brickell
Catfish

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#8 Post by T_Bone0806 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:10 pm

Spoiler
Decades '17 - Day 10
October 13, 2017

I Love the 90s!

SLOGANS & SPOKESPERSONS

Real American Heroes

Real Men Of Genius

Bud Light

WORDS & MUSIC

Eric Clapton

Tears In Heaven

I want to say Michael but that was Change The World I think, so....???

LOVE & MARRIAGE

ACTORS & LINES

"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

triviawayne

#9 Post by triviawayne » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:53 pm

Spoiler
slogans & spokespersons

real men of genius
real american heroes
budweiser

words & music

rod stewart
maggie may
BONUS: ?

Love & marriage

?

actors & lines

the naked gun
frank drebin
leslie neilsen

BackInTex

#10 Post by BackInTex » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:19 pm

Spoiler
Decades '17 - Day 10
October 13, 2017

I Love the 90s!

SLOGANS & SPOKESPERSONS

Here's to you Mr. Blue Collar Worker

Here's to you Mr. Everyday American

Budwieser

WORDS & MUSIC

Eric Clapton

Layla

Woodstock

LOVE & MARRIAGE

Paul & Mrs. Simon

ACTORS & LINES

The Big Lewbowski

John Goodman

..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

kroxquo

#11 Post by kroxquo » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:49 pm

Spoiler
SLOGANS & SPOKESPERSONS

Name the original title. (3 points) Here's To You...

Name the beverage. (3 points) Budweiser

WORDS & MUSIC

Name the artist. (2 points) Eric Clapton

Name the song that won Record and Song of the Year. (2 points) Leila

Bonus: Name the soundtrack this song originally appeared on. (4 points) Maybe I'm thinking the wrong person

LOVE & MARRIAGE

Name the still-married couple. (4 points) Paul Simon & Edie Brickell

ACTORS & LINES

You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

elwoodblues

#12 Post by elwoodblues » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:35 pm

Spoiler
SLOGANS & SPOKESPERSONS[/b]

Name the original title. (3 points) Real Men of Genius

Name the beverage. (3 points) Bud Light

WORDS & MUSIC

Name the artist. (2 points) Eric Clapton

Name the song that won Record and Song of the Year. (2 points) I'll guess his solo version of Layla.

LOVE & MARRIAGE

Name the still-married couple. (4 points) Paul Simon and Edie Brickell

ACTORS & LINES

mellytu74

#13 Post by mellytu74 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:44 pm

Decades '17 - Day 10
October 13, 2017
I Love the 90s!

Spoiler
SLOGANS & SPOKESPERSONS

REAL MEN OF GREATNESS?

Nope on the rest

WORDS & MUSIC

ERIC CLAPTON

TEARS FROM HEAVEN

LOVE & MARRIAGE

PAUL SIMON AND EDIE BRICKELL?

ACTORS & LINES

On of the Naked Gun movies

FRANK DREBBIN

LESLIE NIELSEN

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#14 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:44 am

Spoiler
SLOGANS & SPOKESPERSONS

Name the updated title. (3 points) Real Men of Genius

Name the beverage. (3 points) Budweiser

WORDS & MUSIC

Name the artist. (2 points) Bruce Springsteen

LOVE & MARRIAGE

ACTORS & LINES

--Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Estonut
Evil Genius

#15 Post by Estonut » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:38 am

Spoiler
Decades '17 - Day 10
October 13, 2017

I Love the 90s!

SLOGANS & SPOKESPERSONS

Real American Heroes

Real Men of Genius

Bud Light

WORDS & MUSIC

Eric Clapton

Layla

I thought it was the first (only) album by Derek & the Dominoes. Are you talking about the Layla scene in Goodfellas?

LOVE & MARRIAGE

Paul Simon and Edie Brickell (met on SNL)

ACTORS & LINES

The Naked Gun

Frank Drebbin

Leslie Nielsen

A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

I Love Decades!

#16 Post by I Love Decades! » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:58 am

Decades '17 - Day 10 - Answers/points
October 13, 2017

I Love the 90s!

SLOGANS & SPOKESPERSONS

Real American Heroes
Real Men of Genius
Bud Light

I thought the crappy promos hint would be a dead giveaway. Here are the Real BBs Of Genius crappy promo versions:

Over-the-top September Timeline® Promo Writer
Extremely Versatile Internet Message Board Promo Star
Lyrically Speaking Winter Extravaganza Meister
2012 Boney Awards presenter
Change Your Avatar As Quickly As You Draw Them Internet Artist
Has to be First To Make a RIP Post BB

WORDS & MUSIC

A veteran rocker released one of the first "Unplugged" albums in 1992. He went on to win Grammy Awards for
Album of the Year, Record of the Year and Song of the Year.

Eric Clapton
Tears in Heaven
Rush

Note: Layla was on the album and got heavy airplay but was not nominated for any Grammys

LOVE & MARRIAGE

Name the couple. (4 points)

partial credit given for just Simon

ACTORS & LINES

The Naked Gun 2½: The Smell of Fear (I accepted any Naked Gun reference)
Frank Drebin
Leslie Neilsen

Tough Qs today.

panic ~~ 24
esto ~~ 24
melly ~~ 17
tbone ~~ 17
weasel ~~ 17
lb ~~ 15
tangredi ~~ 14
triviawayne ~~ 12
elwood ~~ 9
krox ~~ 9
catfish ~~ 7
BiT ~~ 7
Bob#s ~~ 6
frogman ~~ 5

Estonut
Evil Genius

#17 Post by Estonut » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:48 pm

I Love Decades! wrote:Note: Layla was on the album and got heavy airplay but was not nominated for any Grammys
The official Grammys site disagrees.

I brainfarted and thought "Tears in Heaven" was the obvious choice, so I went with "Layla." I just looked it up and "Layla" DID WIN. But the category was "Best Rock Song."
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Vandal
Director of Promos

#18 Post by Vandal » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:25 pm

I agree it was a poorly-worded note. Thanks for the clarification.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster