Game #172: Star Power

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
franktangredi

#1 Post by franktangredi » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:59 am

Identify the 50 movies in List A and the 90 actors in List B. (Every other clue is a quotation.) Then, form 50 groups – 43 consisting of a movie plus three actors and 7 consisting of a movie plus four actors – according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself.

18 actors will be used twice. 17 actors will be used three times. 3 actors will be used four times. One actor will be used seven times.

I like to think that there will be no alternate correct matches. (I’m probably wrong.)

I also think this one's fairly easy to get. (I’m probably wrong.)

And my apologies to everyone: I just could not work IAMMMMW into this game.

LIST A: MOVIES

A-1. "To Capt. Brittles from C Troop. Lest we forget."

A-2. This was the only film produced by Mel Brooks to receive an Oscar nomination for Best Picture – although you won’t find his name in the credits.

A-3. “And now, you scum, it's my turn. I'm going to give you a lesson in putting down an attempted mutiny that'll be the last thing you'll ever see. Maybe this'll make you die happy. Markoff thanks you. When he's an officer and has the Legion of Honor, he'll think often of the stupid, blundering pigs that put him where he is.”

A-4. This film reportedly prompted comedian Mort Sahl to plead, “Otto, let my people go.”

A-5. “You don't shoot cops. Even I know that. Eva knows it. The only one who doesn't seem to know is you.”
“All right, Mama. I'm not going to, I promise you. I'm not going to shoot anyone”
“I never asked you where all this stuff came from, because I didn't want to hear you lie to me. Please – ”
“Ma, I understand. I don't want you to worry about it. Now come on, I have to go.”
“Don't lie to me!

A-6. The title of this Woody Allen movie is taken from a song that had been prominently featured 66 years earlier in a film starring a famous comedy team; footage of one of the same comedy team’s later movies had been prominently featured by Allen in one of his earlier movies. Got that?

A-7. “Somebody's got to do it. Big successful businesses are not built by men like you. Nine to five and home and family. You live on them but you never built one. Big successful business are built by men like me. They give everything they got to it. Live it body and soul. Lift it up regardless of anybody or anything else. Without men like me there wouldn't be big and successful businesses. My mistake was in being one of those men. ”

A-8. This was the only other film adaptation of a play by the Pulitzer Prize-winning author of Crimes of the Heart.

A-9. “Glad this, glad that. Do you have to be glad about everything? What's the matter with you, anyway?”

A-10. The director of this film considered it the last of an “Apartment Trilogy” that also included Repulsion and Rosemary’s Baby.

A-11. “We'll have lots of sons and name them all after you.”

A-12. Bosley Crowther wrote in the New York Times that this film was “so strongly dedicated to the purpose of the American anti-Communist purge that it seethes with the sort of emotionalism and illogic that is characteristic of so much thinking these days.”
On the other hand, Senator Karl Mundt of South Dakota entered a statement into the Congressional Record praising it as “undoubtedly the greatest and most stirring pro-American motion picture of the last decade.”
You just can’t please everybody!

A-13. “Listen. I work for the CIA. I am not a spy. I just read books! We read everything that's published in the world. And we – we feed the plots - dirty tricks, codes - into a computer, and the computer checks against actual CIA plans and operations. I look for leaks, I look for new ideas. We read adventures and novels and journals. I … I … Who'd invent a job like that?”

A-14. This black comedy was based on a classic novel published the same year that a member of the film’s cast won Grammy awards for Best New Artist, Album of the Year, and Best Comedy Performance (Spoken Word.) The year the film was released, another member of its cast won Grammy awards for Album of the Year and Record of the Year. Got that?

A-15. “What’s in the box?”

A-16. This 1967 comedy was the last film written, directed, produced, and scored by a Hollywood legend (who also made his final screen appearance in a cameo role.)

A-17. “And after you shot your husband, how did you feel?”
“Hungry!

A-18. This 2011 film was based (with a slight change of title) on a Tony-winning play by the only female playwright to win two Tony awards for Best Play.

A-19. “Some people were born to sit by a river. Some get struck by lightning. Some have an ear for music. Some are artists. Some swim. Some know buttons. Some know Shakespeare. Some are mothers. And some people dance.”

A-20. Noisily condemned by the National Legion of Decency, this movie version of a spicy novel was originally supposed to star Peggy Cummins, but she was deemed to inexperienced to play the heroine.

A-21. “You're going to have a big wedding whether you like it or not! And if you don't like it, you don't have to come!”

A-22. This British film featured my favorite actor in a highly uncharacteristic role as a busker.

A-23. “The guy was killed in an auto accident! I looked it up! He was driving in the Yukon, in a pink convertible, to visit his brother who's an ex-con named Frances, when a tractor trailer comes along and decapitates him. You know what that mean, it means he doesn't have a head. How am I supposed to write for a guy who doesn't have a head? He's got no lips, no vocal cords. What do you want me to do?”

A-24. Robert Altman directed both the stage and screen versions of this film, the title of which references an actor you will find in List B.

A-25. “This is only slightly any of your business, my friend. Remember that.”
“Hangin' is any man's business that's around.”

A-26. This multi-generational murder mystery earned independent filmmaker John Sayles one of his two Oscar nominations.

A-27. “Voice come from cow on wall.”
“Moose! Moose, you imbecile!”

A-28. This sentimental 1938 drama marked the first of four times that a beloved Hollywood character actress played the mother of a beloved Hollywood star.

A-29. MISOGYNY AT THE MOVIES, PART ONE:
“Tap directly into her hopes, her wants, her fears, her desires, and her sweet little panties. Learn how to make that lady ‘friend’ your sex-starved servant. I don't care how you look. I don't care what car you drive. I don't care what your last bank statement says. Seduce and Destroy produces an instant, money-back guarantee, trance-like state that will get you this naughty sauce you want fast.”

A-30. Many viewers speculated that the steamy kitchen table sex scene in this 1981 movie remake was not simulated – a rumor hotly denied by both of the stars involved.

A-31. “And, now, on top of everything else, the Ferncliffes aren't coming to dinner! They call up at this hour, the miserable cockneys, they call up to say they've gone to Florida! Florida!”

A-32. “It’s a Scandal! It’s a Outrage” is one of the two songs cut from the original Broadway score of this musical. Nobody missed it.

A-33. “Kathy, you can't help who you love and who you don't love. Now, I love you, and I want you to be happy, and I don't love Bernice, but I want her to be happy, and I do love my children, and I want them to be happy, but I don't want my wanting Bernice to be happy to take away from my love for you. But my wanting my children to be happy, while not taking away from my love for you, will make Bernice happy, and therefore make the children happy. I want everyone to be happy. Everyone. You know, that could be my biggest fault.”

A-34. The third film in a highly successful series, it reunited all the major male cast members from the first two installments, but the leading female players declined to appear because their characters would not have significant roles in the plot.

A-35. “He wants to know if you are gods.”
“Not gods - Englishmen. The next best thing.”

A-36. This movie – which won an Oscar for Visual Effects – and the movie in the preceding clue were both based on stories by the same author

A-37. “A man looks pretty small at a wedding, George. All those good women standing shoulder to shoulder making sure that the knot’s tied in a mighty public way.”

A-38. The official synopsis of this film describes it as "an exploration of how the actions of individual lives impact one another in the past, present and future, as one soul is shaped from a killer into a hero, and an act of kindness ripples across centuries to inspire a revolution." I hope that cleared that up for you.

A-39. “Well you know, honey, many unplanned pregnancies happen because the man is such a sexual dynamo, and the woman craves his sperm on an unconscious but very powerful level.”
“Mm-hmm. Mom, I'm truly not comfortable having this conversation with you.”

A-40. This adaptation of a famous novel featured Edna May Oliver in a role that would later be reprised by one of the actresses in List B.

A-41. MISOGYNY AT THE MOVIES, PART TWO:
“Too long has the American man allowed himself to be bullied, coddled, and mothered, and tyrannized, and in general meant to feel like a feeble-minded idiot by the female of the species. Do you realize the power that you have in your hand here today? If one man - just one man - can stick his wife in the goop from the gloppitta-gloppitta machine and get away with it! Whoa-ho-ho, boy, we've got it made. We have got it made. All of us.”

A-42. This 1952 film noir about a crusading newspaperman was partly inspired by the closing of the New York Sun.

A-43. “There's a name for you ladies, but it isn't used in high society outside of a kennel.”

A-44. The fifty cars around which the plot of this film revolves include an Aston-Martin named Mary, a Corvette named Pamela, and – most important – a Mustang named Eleanor.

A-45. “When I married, I didn't realize that in the Czerny family there was a streak of – shall we say, eccentricity? And yet, I had warning. Why else should his grandfather have sent me, as an engagement present, one roller skate - covered with Thousand Island dressing?”

A-46. This film does not include the scene from the original novel in which the protagonist stabs a five year-old boy to death at the zoo. (I guess they afraid of making him too unsympathetic.)

A-47. “Al, you old son of a bitch! How ya doin'? How do you feel about that call today? I mean the Dolphins! Fourth-and-three play on their 30 yard line with only 34 seconds to go!”
“How do you think I feel? Betrayed, bewildered.... Wrong response?”

A-48. A member of sitting royalty received a platinum record as a result of this movie.

A-49. “You bastard!”
“Yes, Sir. In my case an accident of birth. But you, Sir, you're a self-made man.”

A-50. Of the AFI’s Top Ten movies in the Epic genre, this one is set the furthest back in time.

LIST B: ACTORS

B-1. “When an Immortal finds himself envying the Mortal who is entrusted to his care, it's a danger signal. Take her in your arms and hold her tight. Kiss her for me, you lucky Henry!”

B-2. This year, she could possibly get an Oscar nomination this year for playing the same role for which she received her first nomination twenty years ago.

B-3. “I don't think I am going to say ‘What the f**k’ anymore.”

B-4. Reviewing the seminal film that made an international star of this actor, Bosley Crowther – whom we last heard from back in Clue A-12 – described him as “the most effective cigarette-mouther and thumb-to-lip-rubber since time began.”

B-5. “But this is England, where I thought you never arrest, let alone convict, people for crimes they have not committed.”

B-6. To the relief of mystery fans everywhere, plans to cast this actress as a young version of a beloved fictional sleuth apparently perished in the bowels of Development Hell.

B-7. “The robber barons of old at least left something tangible in their wake - a coal mine, a railroad, banks. This man leaves nothing. He creates nothing. He builds nothing. He runs nothing. And in his wake lies nothing but a blizzard of paper to cover the pain. Oh, if he said, ‘I know how to run your business better than you,’ that would be something worth talking about. But he's not saying that. He's saying, ‘I'm gonna kill you because at this particular moment in time, you're worth more dead than alive.’ Well, maybe that's true, but it is also true that one day this industry will turn. One day when the yen is weaker, the dollar is stronger, or when we finally begin to rebuild our roads, our bridges, the infrastructure of our country, demand will skyrocket. And when those things happen, we will still be here, stronger because of our ordeal, stronger because we have survived. And the price of our stock will make his offer pale by comparison.”

B-8. Real-life roles played by this English actress included a 19th century French novelist and a 19th century French empress.

B-9. “We've become a race of Peeping Toms. What people ought to do is get outside their own house and look in for a change. Yes sir. How's that for a bit of homespun philosophy?”

B-10. This British actress has been married three times – the first time to an Oscar-winning actor, the last time to a Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist.

B-11. “Jimmy, do you like it when Scraps holds onto your leg and rubs up and down?”

B-12. This character actor appeared as two different Western outlaws in two different films about the same legendary gunfight, but his most notable Western role found him taking part in a cattle drive.

B-13. “Don't you tell me what I can or can't be serious about, or what is or isn't me! If I want to play S&S and M&M and all those other bondage games, or even smoke pot, that's my business!”

B-14. His most notable roles included a dancer, a surfer, a bouncer, and a drag queen.

B-15. “Request permission to relieve bladder.”

B-16. He completes the following list: Marlon Brando, Gary Cooper, Daniel Day Lewis, Tom Hanks, Dustin Hoffman, Fredric March, Jack Nicholson, Spencer Tracy.

B-17. MISOGYNY AT THE MOVIES, PART THREE:
“Women. Nice ones, the most frigid of the race, it doesn't matter in the end. Inside they're all the same meat and gristle and hatred just simmering.”

B-18. This Swedish actor has made six films (so far) for Denmark’s most important living director.

B-19. “You didn't go up there to fish!”

B-20. Her impassioned eulogy for a fellow actor got her called before the House Un-American Activities Committee; her refusal to name her own husband got her blacklisted.

B-21. “Now we'll talk all day if you want to. But, come sundown, there's gonna be two things true that ain't true now. One is that the United States Department of Justice is goin' to know what in the good Christ - 'scuse me, Angie - is goin' on around here. And the other's I'm gonna have somebody's ass in my briefcase.”

B-22. This actor actually received top billing in a 1932 horror classic but – with the presence of such performers as Johnny Eck and the Hilton sisters – it’s easy to forget he was in the movie at all.

B-23. “The town will never be the same. After the Tangiers, the big corporations took it all over. Today, it looks like Disneyland. And while the kids play cardboard pirates, Mommy and Daddy drop the house payments and Junior's college money on the poker slots.”

B-24. Among the movies he did not make was one for which Barton Fink was hired to write the screenplay.

B-25. “We accidentally replaced your heart with a baked potato. You have about three seconds to live.”

B-26. In 1938, this prolific character actor took on a role that would later be played on the big and small screens by (among others) David Warner, Jack Cassidy, Gary Oldman, Mervyn Johns, and Mickey Mouse.

B-27. “We didn't exactly believe your story, Miss Wonderly. We believed your 200 dollars. I mean, you paid us more than if you had been telling us the truth, and enough more to make it all right.”

B-28. This actress probably could have penned the best-selling tell-all book ever if she had not steadfastly refused to discuss her fourteen-year marriage to a very famous man.

B-29. “I know lots of things that are gonna happen. There's gonna be test tube babies and heart transplants. An American named Neil Armstrong is going to be the first man to walk on the moon, July 20, 1969.”

B-30. Her short but powerful film career included adaptations of works by George Bernard Shaw, Leo Tolstoy, Tennessee Williams, Katherine Anne Porter, and a certain one-hit wonder.

B-31. “You're all flops. I am the Earth Mother, and you are all flops.”

B-32. On screen, he romanced – among others – Greta Garbo, Irene Dunne, Joan Crawford, and the actresses in the two preceding clues.

B-33. “Push the button, Max!”

B-34. In a 1974 film, he reprised his Tony-nominated performance in the musical version of Alan Paton’s most famous novel.

B-35. “Being perfect is not about that scoreboard out there. It's not about winning. It's about you and your relationship with yourself, your family and your friends. Being perfect is about being able to look your friends in the eye and know that you didnt let them down because you told them the truth. And that truth is you did everything you could. There wasnt one more thing you could've done. Can you live in that moment as best you can, with clear eyes, and love in your heart, with joy in your heart? If you can do that gentleman - you're perfect!”

B-36. This actor was once the boxing and wrestling champion of the Coast Guard – which made him an unusual choice to play the King of the Fairies in a 1935 film.

B-37. “All right, wise guys. Now you listen to me. All of ya! You hoodlums don't own these streets. And I've had all the roughhouse I'm gonna put up with around here! You wanna kill each other, kill each other! But you ain't gonna do it on my beat. Are there any questions?”

B-38. This British actor was 61 when he played his most popular role in the screen version of what was at the time Broadway’s longest running musical.

B-39. “The poor dope - he always wanted a pool. Well, in the end, he got himself a pool.”

B-40. In a remake of a popular romantic comedy, he took on a role that had been played 41 years earlier by the actor in the previous clue.

B-41. “It's one thing to want someone out of your life, but it's another thing to serve them a wake-up cup full of liquid Drano.”

B-42. He is the most prominent of the three actors who have played both the 35th President of the United States and his Attorney General.

B-43. “You ask me if I have a God complex. Let me tell you something: I am God.”

B-44. This actor – who attends Mass every day and owns a rosary blessed by the Pope – credits his parish priest with helping him turn his back on a life of crime.

B-45. “I understand you're pretty funny as a dee-jay and, well, comedy is kind of a hobby of mine. Well, actually, it's a little more than just a hobby. Reader's Digest is considering publishing two of my jokes. “

B-46. This actress showed up in my last movie game by way of the film version of a popular television sitcom.

B-47. “I think people should mate for life, like pigeons or Catholics.”

B-48. He was undoubtedly the best known movie star ever to attend Oxford on an organ scholarship. (He was also adept at the harpsichord and piano.)

B-49. “Oh, f**k it, I don't have to talk, either, man! See how you like it. Just total f**kin' silence. Two can play at that game, smart guy. We'll just see how you like it. Total silence.”

B-50. As a stuntman, he rode a horse in A Day at the Races and drove a chariot in Spartacus; as an actor, he played the lead in a David Lynch movie.

B-51. “Kid, the next time I say, "Let's go someplace like Bolivia," let's go someplace like Bolivia!”

B-52. He was the only cast member of the film referenced in the previous clue to appear in its prequel ten years later.

B-53. “You are privy to a great becoming, but you recognize nothing. To me, you are a slug in the sun. You are an ant in the afterbirth. It is your nature to do one thing correctly. Before me, you rightly tremble. But, fear is not what you owe me. You owe me awe!”

B-54. Known chiefly as a strong-jawed leading man, he had his best – and most uncharacteristic – role as a serial killer who targets disabled women.

B-55. “Now you've got a corpse in a car, minus a head, in a garage. Take me to it.”

B-56. He remains the youngest actor ever to be nominated for a Best Actor Oscar.

B-57. “I heard you in here, reciting that same old stuff. Making more iron men, more young heroes. You still think it's beautiful and sweet to die for your country, don't you? We used to think you knew. The first bombardment taught us better. It's dirty and painful to die for your country. When it comes to dying for your country it's better not to die at all!”

B-58. She appeared in two of the three movies for which William Wyler won Oscars, but she was not nominated for either of them.

B-59. “In this first generation, the original male also produced a queen, and together they will construct a primary nest which the queen will guard. But eventually, she will create reproductive offspring of her own. And when that happens, this town is dead ... and the next town ... and the next town ... and the next one, and so on.”

B-60. She appeared in two of the three movies for which Frank Capra won Oscars, but she was not nominated for either of them.

B-61. “I don't feel the sickness yet, but it's in the post. That's for sure. I'm in the junkie limbo at the moment. Too ill to sleep. Too tired to stay awake, but the sickness is on its way. Sweat, chills, nausea. Pain and craving. A need like nothing else I've ever known will soon take hold of me. It's on its way.”

B-62. In 1997, he and the actor in Clue B-25 received a Razzie nomination as Worst Screen Couple.

B-63. “Ethically and technologically they were a million years ahead of humankind, for in unlocking the mysteries of nature they had conquered even their baser selves, and when in the course of eons they had abolished sickness and insanity, crime and all injustice, they turned, still in high benevolence, upwards towards space. Then, having reached the heights, this all-but-divine race perished in a single night, and nothing was preserved above ground.”

B-64. Both of his Oscar nominations for Best Actor have been for films which he directed.

B-65. “Tis but a scratch!”

B-66. Don Adams said that Maxwell Smart’s distinctive voice was an exaggerated version of his impression of this suave actor.

B-67. “I'm sick of my sister's attraction to razor blades - and I'm sick of shrinks who can't do a f**king thing to help her.”

B-68. Her on-screen husbands and lovers have included Steve McQueen, Anthony Quinn, Michael York, Andrew McCarthy, Jean-Pierre Leaud, and the actor in the preceding clue.

B-69. “Cut down? I am what I am precisely because I've eaten my way to the top! I'm a work of art, created by the finest chefs in the world. Every fold is a brush stroke! Every crease a sonnet! Every chin a concerto! In short, doctor darling, in my present form, I'm a masterpiece!”

B-70. His film career included adaptations of novels by Thomas Hardy, D.H. Lawrence, Bernard Malamud, L.P. Hartley, and Rebecca West.

B-71. “I had the most absurd nightmare. I was poor and no one liked me. I lost my job, I lost my house, Penelope hated me, and it was all because of this terrible, awful Negro.”

B-72. She was the first – and, for nearly fifty years the only – Mexican actress nominated for an Academy Award.

B-73. “Oh, no! Not the bees! Not the bees! Aaaaahhhhh! Oh, they're in my eyes! My eyes! Aaaahhhhh! Aaaaagghhh!”

B-74. In 2010, he apologized to a talk show host. We all know why.

B-75. “Inside me, I'm screaming and yelling and howling like a trapped animal and nobody pays any attention. If I had arms, I could kill myself. If I had legs, I could run away. If I had a voice, I could talk and be some kind of company for myself. I could yell for help, but nobody would help me.”

B-76. This English actress is the most recent actress to take over the role played by another English actress in fourteen films from 1962 to 1985.

B-77. “In here I have twenty scouts. I want to measure your respiration when they gang-bang you.”

B-78. In 1991, this actor received a Tony award for his performance as Roy Cohn.

B-79. “Years from now, when you talk about this - and you will - be kind.”

B-80. This actor – whose eight Tony nominations are a record for male actors – received the Kennedy Center Honors two years after his ex-wife and one year before this death.

B-81. “Tomorrow, mankind will know mutants exist. Shaw, us, they won't differentiate. They'll fear us. And that fear will turn to hatred.”

B-82. The 36 founders of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences included seven actors – Douglas Fairbanks, Mary Pickford, Harold Lloyd, Richard Barthelmess, Jack Holt, Milton Sills, and this leading man who would later serve as Academy president.

B-83. “When your mother left, you cried so hard you were throwin' up. All over the parlor. So I told you if you looked around you might find her. It was to, eh, give you an activity. I didn't think you'd carry it like a f**kin' disease.”

B-84. In a 1991 miniseries based on a Dickens novel, she played the guardian of the young girl she had played on the big screen 45 years earlier.

B-85. “When he was nine years old, he ran away from a fight. I saw it. I was so embarrassed, I almost threw up. I said, ‘I'm gonna make a man outta you if I have to break you in two tryin'’. And I made a man out of him. When he was sixteen, we had a fight. Hit me in the jaw - a big kid. Haven't seen him for two years. Kids ... work your heart out....”

B-86. She was married 15 years to a major Hollywood star and 39 years to a major Czechoslovakian-born British director.

B-87. “'I do not know how to kiss or I would kiss you. Where do the noses go?'”

B-88. In two 1950s remakes, she played roles that had previously been played by Irene Dunne. For one of the films, she got an Oscar nomination, which Dunne had not. For the other film, she did not get an Oscar nomination, which Dunne had. Got that?

B-89. “I can't go all my life waiting to catch you between husbands.”

B-90. This star had the shortest filmography of anyone include on the AFI list of Greatest Screen Legends.
Last edited by franktangredi on Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

Re: Game #172: Star Power

#2 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:37 am

I'll make a rare contribution to a movie game... not that I don't think others will get it too.

B-71. “I had the most absurd nightmare. I was poor and no one liked me. I lost my job, I lost my house, Penelope hated me, and it was all because of this terrible, awful Negro.” - Dan Aykroyd
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

Pastor Fireball

#3 Post by Pastor Fireball » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:54 am

I don't have enough time to work on this game right now, but I can jump on the first answer that I know immediately.

A-2. This was the only film produced by Mel Brooks to receive an Oscar nomination for Best Picture – although you won’t find his name in the credits.

THE ELEPHANT MAN

Mel famously didn't want his name on the credits because nobody would have taken the film seriously otherwise.
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#4 Post by frogman042 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:44 pm

The Elephant Man

A-4. This film reportedly prompted comedian Mort Sahl to plead, “Otto, let my people go.”
Exodus

A-5. “You don't shoot cops. Even I know that. Eva knows it. The only one who doesn't seem to know is you.”
“All right, Mama. I'm not going to, I promise you. I'm not going to shoot anyone”
“I never asked you where all this stuff came from, because I didn't want to hear you lie to me. Please – ”
“Ma, I understand. I don't want you to worry about it. Now come on, I have to go.”
“Don't lie to me!
WAG White Heat

A-6. The title of this Woody Allen movie is taken from a song that had been prominently featured 66 years earlier in a film starring a famous comedy team; footage of one of the same comedy team’s later movies had been prominently featured by Allen in one of his earlier movies. Got that?
WAG Everbody Says I Love You

A-8. This was the only other film adaptation of a play by the Pulitzer Prize-winning author of Crimes of the Heart.
The author is Beth Henley (sp? or something like that) and I'm wonder if Stephen Toboloski might be in it.

A-10. The director of this film considered it the last of an “Apartment Trilogy” that also included Repulsion and Rosemary’s Baby.
Obviously a film by Roman Polanski, is it the vampire one?

I know I know this... can't place it just yet

A-12. Bosley Crowther wrote in the New York Times that this film was “so strongly dedicated to the purpose of the American anti-Communist purge that it seethes with the sort of emotionalism and illogic that is characteristic of so much thinking these days.”
On the other hand, Senator Karl Mundt of South Dakota entered a statement into the Congressional Record praising it as “undoubtedly the greatest and most stirring pro-American motion picture of the last decade.”
WAG High Noon?

A-13. “Listen. I work for the CIA. I am not a spy. I just read books! We read everything that's published in the world. And we – we feed the plots - dirty tricks, codes - into a computer, and the computer checks against actual CIA plans and operations. I look for leaks, I look for new ideas. We read adventures and novels and journals. I … I … Who'd invent a job like that?”
3 Days of the Condor

A-14. This black comedy was based on a classic novel published the same year that a member of the film’s cast won Grammy awards for Best New Artist, Album of the Year, and Best Comedy Performance (Spoken Word.) The year the film was released, another member of its cast won Grammy awards for Album of the Year and Record of the Year. Got that?
Catch-22?

Se7en

A-16. This 1967 comedy was the last film written, directed, produced, and scored by a Hollywood legend (who also made his final screen appearance in a cameo role.)
I would think it might be Charlie Chaplin, but I think he appeared in all his films not as a cameo.

The Ox-Bow Incident?

A-27. “Voice come from cow on wall.”
“Moose! Moose, you imbecile!”
Murder By Death

A-28. This sentimental 1938 drama marked the first of four times that a beloved Hollywood character actress played the mother of a beloved Hollywood star.
Could it be a Jimmy Stuart movie by Frank Capra, I'm pretty sure the same actress played his mom in Mr. Smith Goes To Washington and It's a Wonderful Life - Was 'You Can't Take it WIth You' 1938 - but I don't think his mom was the same actress, she would have been to 'snobby' in that role...

A-30. Many viewers speculated that the steamy kitchen table sex scene in this 1981 movie remake was not simulated – a rumor hotly denied by both of the stars involved.
The Postman Always Rings Twice

A-33. “Kathy, you can't help who you love and who you don't love. Now, I love you, and I want you to be happy, and I don't love Bernice, but I want her to be happy, and I do love my children, and I want them to be happy, but I don't want my wanting Bernice to be happy to take away from my love for you. But my wanting my children to be happy, while not taking away from my love for you, will make Bernice happy, and therefore make the children happy. I want everyone to be happy. Everyone. You know, that could be my biggest fault.”
The great "Lovers and Other Strangers" - Gig Young's bathroom speech.

The Man Who Would Be King?

A-36. This movie – which won an Oscar for Visual Effects – and the movie in the preceding clue were both based on stories by the same author
The Jungle Book?

A-38. The official synopsis of this film describes it as "an exploration of how the actions of individual lives impact one another in the past, present and future, as one soul is shaped from a killer into a hero, and an act of kindness ripples across centuries to inspire a revolution." I hope that cleared that up for you.
Cloud Atlas?

A-44. The fifty cars around which the plot of this film revolves include an Aston-Martin named Mary, a Corvette named Pamela, and – most important – a Mustang named Eleanor.
The Gumball Rally?

A-50. Of the AFI’s Top Ten movies in the Epic genre, this one is set the furthest back in time.
Quest for Fire? The Ten Commandments?

B-2. This year, she could possibly get an Oscar nomination this year for playing the same role for which she received her first nomination twenty years ago.
Judi Dench?

B-9. “We've become a race of Peeping Toms. What people ought to do is get outside their own house and look in for a change. Yes sir. How's that for a bit of homespun philosophy?”
Thelma RItter in Rear WIndow

B-13. “Don't you tell me what I can or can't be serious about, or what is or isn't me! If I want to play S&S and M&M and all those other bondage games, or even smoke pot, that's my business!”
Jane Fonda in 9 to 5

B-14. His most notable roles included a dancer, a surfer, a bouncer, and a drag queen.
Patrick Swayze

B-22. This actor actually received top billing in a 1932 horror classic but – with the presence of such performers as Johnny Eck and the Hilton sisters – it’s easy to forget he was in the movie at all.
Guessing Freaks - not sure who got top billing

B-23. “The town will never be the same. After the Tangiers, the big corporations took it all over. Today, it looks like Disneyland. And while the kids play cardboard pirates, Mommy and Daddy drop the house payments and Junior's college money on the poker slots.”
Robert DeNiro in Casino

B-24. Among the movies he did not make was one for which Barton Fink was hired to write the screenplay.
Wallace Beery

B-27. “We didn't exactly believe your story, Miss Wonderly. We believed your 200 dollars. I mean, you paid us more than if you had been telling us the truth, and enough more to make it all right.”
Humphry Bogart

B-29. “I know lots of things that are gonna happen. There's gonna be test tube babies and heart transplants. An American named Neil Armstrong is going to be the first man to walk on the moon, July 20, 1969.”
Kathleen Turner in Peggy Sue Got Married

B-37. “All right, wise guys. Now you listen to me. All of ya! You hoodlums don't own these streets. And I've had all the roughhouse I'm gonna put up with around here! You wanna kill each other, kill each other! But you ain't gonna do it on my beat. Are there any questions?”
The wonderful Simon Oakland in West Side Story

B-39. “The poor dope - he always wanted a pool. Well, in the end, he got himself a pool.”
Was this William Holden talking about himself in Sunset Boulevard?

B-40. In a remake of a popular romantic comedy, he took on a role that had been played 41 years earlier by the actor in the previous clue.
So if I'm right then this might be the remake of Sabrina which had Greg Kinner in the William Holden role

B-42. He is the most prominent of the three actors who have played both the 35th President of the United States and his Attorney General.
Who played both JFK and RFK - it's either Martin Sheen or William Devane leaning towards Martin Sheen.

B-47. “I think people should mate for life, like pigeons or Catholics.”
Woody Allen

B-49. “Oh, f**k it, I don't have to talk, either, man! See how you like it. Just total f**kin' silence. Two can play at that game, smart guy. We'll just see how you like it. Total silence.”
Steve Buscemi in Fargo, who then couldn't maintain his silence

B-51. “Kid, the next time I say, "Let's go someplace like Bolivia," let's go someplace like Bolivia!”
Paul Newman in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

B-52. He was the only cast member of the film referenced in the previous clue to appear in its prequel ten years later.
Never saw the prequel WAG Struther Martin?

B-55. “Now you've got a corpse in a car, minus a head, in a garage. Take me to it.”
Harvey Keitel - Pulp Fiction

B-58. She appeared in two of the three movies for which William Wyler won Oscars, but she was not nominated for either of them.
WAG Myrna Loy?

B-59. “In this first generation, the original male also produced a queen, and together they will construct a primary nest which the queen will guard. But eventually, she will create reproductive offspring of her own. And when that happens, this town is dead ... and the next town ... and the next town ... and the next one, and so on.”
Julian Sands - Arachnaphobia

B-60. She appeared in two of the three movies for which Frank Capra won Oscars, but she was not nominated for either of them.
Jean Arthur

B-62. In 1997, he and the actor in Clue B-25 received a Razzie nomination as Worst Screen Couple.
Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez?

Black Knight in MP and the Holy Grail?

B-66. Don Adams said that Maxwell Smart’s distinctive voice was an exaggerated version of his impression of this suave actor.
Cary Grant?

B-69. “Cut down? I am what I am precisely because I've eaten my way to the top! I'm a work of art, created by the finest chefs in the world. Every fold is a brush stroke! Every crease a sonnet! Every chin a concerto! In short, doctor darling, in my present form, I'm a masterpiece!”
Robert Morley?

B-70. His film career included adaptations of novels by Thomas Hardy, D.H. Lawrence, Bernard Malamud, L.P. Hartley, and Rebecca West.
Alan Bates?

B-71. “I had the most absurd nightmare. I was poor and no one liked me. I lost my job, I lost my house, Penelope hated me, and it was all because of this terrible, awful Negro.”
Dan Ackroyd in Trading Places

Hugh Grant?

B-75. “Inside me, I'm screaming and yelling and howling like a trapped animal and nobody pays any attention. If I had arms, I could kill myself. If I had legs, I could run away. If I had a voice, I could talk and be some kind of company for myself. I could yell for help, but nobody would help me.”
Timothy Bottoms in Johnny Got His Gun??

B-76. This English actress is the most recent actress to take over the role played by another English actress in fourteen films from 1962 to 1985.
Guessing who is the current Miss Moneypenny?

B-77. “In here I have twenty scouts. I want to measure your respiration when they gang-bang you.”
John Carridine in Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sex* *But was afraid to ask

B-78. In 1991, this actor received a Tony award for his performance as Roy Cohn.
James Woods?

I know this but can't place it.

B-85. “When he was nine years old, he ran away from a fight. I saw it. I was so embarrassed, I almost threw up. I said, ‘I'm gonna make a man outta you if I have to break you in two tryin'’. And I made a man out of him. When he was sixteen, we had a fight. Hit me in the jaw - a big kid. Haven't seen him for two years. Kids ... work your heart out....”
Lee J Cobb - 12 Angry Men

Clark Gable in GWTW

B-90. This star had the shortest filmography of anyone include on the AFI list of Greatest Screen Legends.
Rudolf Valentino?

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#5 Post by frogman042 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:49 pm

Richard Beemer to 'Doc' in West Side Story - I'm almost certain of it....There is no Maria!

mellytu74

#6 Post by mellytu74 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:44 pm

Finally about to get to this :) :) :)

A-1. "To Capt. Brittles from C Troop. Lest we forget."

SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON

THE ELEPHANT MAN?

A-3. “And now, you scum, it's my turn. I'm going to give you a lesson in putting down an attempted mutiny that'll be the last thing you'll ever see. Maybe this'll make you die happy. Markoff thanks you. When he's an officer and has the Legion of Honor, he'll think often of the stupid, blundering pigs that put him where he is.”

Pretty sure this is Brian Donleavy in BEAU GESTE

EXODUS

EVERYONE SAYS I LOVE YOU

A-7. “Somebody's got to do it. Big successful businesses are not built by men like you. Nine to five and home and family. You live on them but you never built one. Big successful business are built by men like me. They give everything they got to it. Live it body and soul. Lift it up regardless of anybody or anything else. Without men like me there wouldn't be big and successful businesses. My mistake was in being one of those men. ”

MAN IN THE GREY FLANNEL SUIT?

this is either MISS FIRECRACKER or NOBODY'S FOOL. Not sure which

A-9. “Glad this, glad that. Do you have to be glad about everything? What's the matter with you, anyway?”

POLLYANNA

Audrey Hepburn in CHARADE

MY SON JOHN?

COUNTESS FROM HONG KONG?

“Hungry!

ADAM'S RIB

A-20. Noisily condemned by the National Legion of Decency, this movie version of a spicy novel was originally supposed to star Peggy Cummins, but she was deemed to inexperienced to play the heroine.

I think this is FOREVER AMBER

A-21. “You're going to have a big wedding whether you like it or not! And if you don't like it, you don't have to come!”

A CATERED AFFAIR

A-26. This multi-generational murder mystery earned independent filmmaker John Sayles one of his two Oscar nominations.

LONE STAR

OF HUMAN HEARTS?

THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE?

A-31. “And, now, on top of everything else, the Ferncliffes aren't coming to dinner! They call up at this hour, the miserable cockneys, they call up to say they've gone to Florida! Florida!”

DINNER AT EIGHT

A-32. “It’s a Scandal! It’s a Outrage” is one of the two songs cut from the original Broadway score of this musical. Nobody missed it.

OKLAHOMA

LOVERS AND OTHER STRANGERS

A-37. “A man looks pretty small at a wedding, George. All those good women standing shoulder to shoulder making sure that the knot’s tied in a mighty public way.”

OUR TOWN

A-41. MISOGYNY AT THE MOVIES, PART TWO:
“Too long has the American man allowed himself to be bullied, coddled, and mothered, and tyrannized, and in general meant to feel like a feeble-minded idiot by the female of the species. Do you realize the power that you have in your hand here today? If one man - just one man - can stick his wife in the goop from the gloppitta-gloppitta machine and get away with it! Whoa-ho-ho, boy, we've got it made. We have got it made. All of us.”

HOW TO MURDER YOUR WIFE

A-42. This 1952 film noir about a crusading newspaperman was partly inspired by the closing of the New York Sun.

DEADLINE USA? CALL NORTHSIDE 777?

A-43. “There's a name for you ladies, but it isn't used in high society outside of a kennel.”

THE WOMEN

A-45. “When I married, I didn't realize that in the Czerny family there was a streak of – shall we say, eccentricity? And yet, I had warning. Why else should his grandfather have sent me, as an engagement present, one roller skate - covered with Thousand Island dressing?”

MIDNIGHT

A-47. “Al, you old son of a bitch! How ya doin'? How do you feel about that call today? I mean the Dolphins! Fourth-and-three play on their 30 yard line with only 34 seconds to go!”
“How do you think I feel? Betrayed, bewildered.... Wrong response?”

THE BIRDCAGE

DAME JUDI DENCH

B-5. “But this is England, where I thought you never arrest, let alone convict, people for crimes they have not committed.”

TYRONE POWER

B-8. Real-life roles played by this English actress included a 19th century French novelist and a 19th century French empress.

MERLE OBERON?

THELMA RITTER!!!

B-10. This British actress has been married three times – the first time to an Oscar-winning actor, the last time to a Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist.

CLAIRE BLOOM?

JANE FONDA

PATRICK SWAYZE

B-16. He completes the following list: Marlon Brando, Gary Cooper, Daniel Day Lewis, Tom Hanks, Dustin Hoffman, Fredric March, Jack Nicholson, Spencer Tracy.

SEAN PENN

B-20. Her impassioned eulogy for a fellow actor got her called before the House Un-American Activities Committee; her refusal to name her own husband got her blacklisted.

LEE GRANT

B-21. “Now we'll talk all day if you want to. But, come sundown, there's gonna be two things true that ain't true now. One is that the United States Department of Justice is goin' to know what in the good Christ - 'scuse me, Angie - is goin' on around here. And the other's I'm gonna have somebody's ass in my briefcase.”

WILFORD BRIMLEY

WALLACE FORD

HUMPHREY BOGART

KATHLEEN TURNER

B-30. Her short but powerful film career included adaptations of works by George Bernard Shaw, Leo Tolstoy, Tennessee Williams, Katherine Anne Porter, and a certain one-hit wonder.

VIVIEN LEIGH

B-31. “You're all flops. I am the Earth Mother, and you are all flops.”

ELIZABETH TAYLOR

B-36. This actor was once the boxing and wrestling champion of the Coast Guard – which made him an unusual choice to play the King of the Fairies in a 1935 film.

VICTOR JORY

SIMON OAKLAND

WILLIAM HOLDEN

GREG KINNEAR

MARTIN SHEEN??

B-44. This actor – who attends Mass every day and owns a rosary blessed by the Pope – credits his parish priest with helping him turn his back on a life of crime.

My co-star, MARK WAHLBERG

B-45. “I understand you're pretty funny as a dee-jay and, well, comedy is kind of a hobby of mine. Well, actually, it's a little more than just a hobby. Reader's Digest is considering publishing two of my jokes. “

the late BRUNO KIRBY :(

B-56. He remains the youngest actor ever to be nominated for a Best Actor Oscar.

JACKIE COOPER

B-57. “I heard you in here, reciting that same old stuff. Making more iron men, more young heroes. You still think it's beautiful and sweet to die for your country, don't you? We used to think you knew. The first bombardment taught us better. It's dirty and painful to die for your country. When it comes to dying for your country it's better not to die at all!”

LEW AYERS

CAHTY O'DONNELL

JEAN ARTHUR

B-63. “Ethically and technologically they were a million years ahead of humankind, for in unlocking the mysteries of nature they had conquered even their baser selves, and when in the course of eons they had abolished sickness and insanity, crime and all injustice, they turned, still in high benevolence, upwards towards space. Then, having reached the heights, this all-but-divine race perished in a single night, and nothing was preserved above ground.”

WALTER PIDGEON describing The Krell in Boonie's favorite movie.

B-64. Both of his Oscar nominations for Best Actor have been for films which he directed.

WARREN BEATTY?

WILLIAM POWELL

DAN ACKROYD

B-72. She was the first – and, for nearly fifty years the only – Mexican actress nominated for an Academy Award.

KATY JURADO?

HUGH GRANT?

DEBORAH KERR

B-80. This actor – whose eight Tony nominations are a record for male actors – received the Kennedy Center Honors two years after his ex-wife and one year before this death.

RICHARD BURTON?

B-82. The 36 founders of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences included seven actors – Douglas Fairbanks, Mary Pickford, Harold Lloyd, Richard Barthelmess, Jack Holt, Milton Sills, and this leading man who would later serve as Academy president.

CONRAD NAGLE

LEE J COBB

B-87. “'I do not know how to kiss or I would kiss you. Where do the noses go?'”

INGRID BERGMAN

B-88. In two 1950s remakes, she played roles that had previously been played by Irene Dunne. For one of the films, she got an Oscar nomination, which Dunne had not. For the other film, she did not get an Oscar nomination, which Dunne had. Got that?

DEBORAH KERR - AFFAIR TO REMEMBER AND THE KING AND I are the remakes.

CLARK GABLE

JAMES DEAN

Last edited by franktangredi on Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

franktangredi

#7 Post by franktangredi » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:14 pm

mellytu74 wrote:

Well, damn! I didn't realize that clue fit two different actresses. Fortunately, Kerr is already on the list elsewhere.

mellytu74

#8 Post by mellytu74 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:17 pm

franktangredi wrote:
mellytu74 wrote:

Well, damn! I didn't realize that clue fit two different actresses. Fortunately, Kerr is already on the list elsewhere.
Of course, Kerr is here for the Tea and Sympathy quote.

How about JANE WYMAN? Magnificent Obsession and, IIRC, there's a musical version of The Awful Truth. The only other remakes I can think of are Show Boat and Roberta/Lovely To Look At and I don't think Grayson ever got a nomination, so that's out.

kroxquo

#9 Post by kroxquo » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:40 pm

West Side Story

Three Days of the Condor?

Se7en

“Hungry!

Chicago?

The Postman Always Rings Twice

The Producers?

The Man Who Would Be King

Tom Cruise?

Jane Fonda

B-19. “You didn't go up there to fish!”

It's from Brokeback Mountain, but I can't remember the woman's name

John Goodman?

B-33. “Push the button, Max!”

Jack Lemmon (unless you're talking about Felicia Day in the new MST3K)

The guy who played Lt. Schrank in West Side Story

Steve Buscemi

Paul Newman

WAG Richard Kiel

B-54. Known chiefly as a strong-jawed leading man, he had his best – and most uncharacteristic – role as a serial killer who targets disabled women.

Tony Curtis?

Harvey Keitel

From All Quiet on the Western Front

John Cleese

Cary Grant?

B-73. “Oh, no! Not the bees! Not the bees! Aaaaahhhhh! Oh, they're in my eyes! My eyes! Aaaahhhhh! Aaaaagghhh!”

Nicolas Cage

Whoever plays Miss Moneypenny now

Clark Gable

James Dean
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

Pastor Fireball

#10 Post by Pastor Fireball » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:00 pm

THE TENANT

B-6. To the relief of mystery fans everywhere, plans to cast this actress as a young version of a beloved fictional sleuth apparently perished in the bowels of Development Hell.

I know that CBS attempted a very young Miss Marple series a couple of years ago, but I don't remember who they tried to cast.

B-11. “Jimmy, do you like it when Scraps holds onto your leg and rubs up and down?”

Obviously, a line from the Airplane! films. PETER GRAVES gave us this, along with all of those other uncomfortable lines to the kids. ("Have you ever seen a grown man naked? Do you like movies about gladiators?")

It's from The Right Stuff... but which astronaut said it?
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#11 Post by frogman042 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:57 pm

Pastor Fireball wrote: B-11. “Jimmy, do you like it when Scraps holds onto your leg and rubs up and down?”

Obviously, a line from the Airplane! films. PETER GRAVES gave us this, along with all of those other uncomfortable lines to the kids. ("Have you ever seen a grown man naked? Do you like movies about gladiators?")

It's from The Right Stuff... but which astronaut said it?
I don't think B-11 is from the original Airplane - maybe the sequel which I never saw.

B-15 - I think you are right - and it would have been Alan Shepard - since his flight was planned to take 15 minutes they didn't plan for having to account for him needing to empty his bladder - and I think Scott Glen played Alan Shepard.

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#12 Post by frogman042 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:00 pm

I think Mellytu is correct with this one:

I think the line is slightly different in West Side Story - but very similar.

mellytu74

#13 Post by mellytu74 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:18 pm

frogman042 wrote:I think Mellytu is correct with this one:

I think the line is slightly different in West Side Story - but very similar.
I think it's Charade, when Hepburn is referring to Cary Grant's aliases. Now I am doubting myself. Is it Tony to Doc in West Side Story.

Pastor Fireball

#14 Post by Pastor Fireball » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:11 am

frogman042 wrote:I don't think B-11 is from the original Airplane - maybe the sequel which I never saw.
I never said it was from the original Airplane! That's why I said films, plural. The kid in the first Airplane! was named Joey, not Jimmy.

B-26. In 1938, this prolific character actor took on a role that would later be played on the big and small screens by (among others) David Warner, Jack Cassidy, Gary Oldman, Mervyn Johns, and Mickey Mouse.

The one character that I know of that was shared by Gary Oldman and Mickey Mouse was Bob Cratchit... so this must be GENE LOCKHART.

B-34. In a 1974 film, he reprised his Tony-nominated performance in the musical version of Alan Paton’s most famous novel.

The novel was Cry, the Beloved Country, so this has to be BROCK PETERS.

B-38. This British actor was 61 when he played his most popular role in the screen version of what was at the time Broadway’s longest running musical.

WILFRID HYDE-WHITE in My Fair Lady

Pastor Fireball

#15 Post by Pastor Fireball » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:03 am

A-18. This 2011 film was based (with a slight change of title) on a Tony-winning play by the only female playwright to win two Tony awards for Best Play.

CARNAGE (from the play God of Carnage)

A-24. Robert Altman directed both the stage and screen versions of this film, the title of which references an actor you will find in List B.

COME BACK TO THE FIVE AND DIME, JIMMY DEAN, JIMMY DEAN
Quest for Fire? The Ten Commandments?
Since QFF wasn't in the Top 10, it's going to be the latter.

B-25. “We accidentally replaced your heart with a baked potato. You have about three seconds to live.”

This was the doctor in the South Park movie, voiced by GEORGE CLOONEY... which then leads me to its connecting clue.

CHRIS O'DONNELL, for Batman & Robin

NAOMIE HARRIS is the current portrayer of Miss Moneypenny.

ToLiveIsToFly

#16 Post by ToLiveIsToFly » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:59 pm

“Tap directly into her hopes, her wants, her fears, her desires, and her sweet little panties. Learn how to make that lady ‘friend’ your sex-starved servant. I don't care how you look. I don't care what car you drive. I don't care what your last bank statement says. Seduce and Destroy produces an instant, money-back guarantee, trance-like state that will get you this naughty sauce you want fast.”
MAGNOLIA?

TOM CRUISE OR CURTIS ARMSTRONG?

B-41. “It's one thing to want someone out of your life, but it's another thing to serve them a wake-up cup full of liquid Drano.”
WINONA RYDER?

B-43. “You ask me if I have a God complex. Let me tell you something: I am God.”
ALEC BALDWIN

B-67. “I'm sick of my sister's attraction to razor blades - and I'm sick of shrinks who can't do a f**king thing to help her.”
NICK NOLTE

B-68. Her on-screen husbands and lovers have included Steve McQueen, Anthony Quinn, Michael York, Andrew McCarthy, Jean-Pierre Leaud, and the actor in the preceding clue.
JACQUELINE BISSET

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#17 Post by frogman042 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:26 am

Pastor Fireball wrote: A-24. Robert Altman directed both the stage and screen versions of this film, the title of which references an actor you will find in List B.

COME BACK TO THE FIVE AND DIME, JIMMY DEAN, JIMMY DEAN
I would have bet dollars to donuts that that was directed by Mike Nichols - but I would have lost...

Pastor Fireball

#18 Post by Pastor Fireball » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:02 am

We haven't had a consolidation all week--highly unusual--so let's have one now. I probably should have kept in all of the clues to our definite guesses, but let's see what happens.

Identify the 50 movies in List A and the 90 actors in List B. (Every other clue is a quotation.) Then, form 50 groups – 43 consisting of a movie plus three actors and 7 consisting of a movie plus four actors – according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself.

18 actors will be used twice. 17 actors will be used three times. 3 actors will be used four times. One actor will be used seven times.

I like to think that there will be no alternate correct matches. (I’m probably wrong.)

I also think this one's fairly easy to get. (I’m probably wrong.)

And my apologies to everyone: I just could not work IAMMMMW into this game.

A-1. SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON
A-2. THE ELEPHANT MAN
A-3. BEAU GESTE
A-4. EXODUS

A-5. “You don't shoot cops. Even I know that. Eva knows it. The only one who doesn't
seem to know is you.”
“I never asked you where all this stuff came from, because I didn't want to hear you lie
to me. Please – ”
“Don't lie to me!
WHITE HEAT?

A-6. EVERYONE SAYS I LOVE YOU

A-7. “Somebody's got to do it. Big successful businesses are not built by men like you.
Nine to five and home and family. You live on them but you never built one. Big
successful business are built by men like me. They give everything they got to it. Live
it body and soul. Lift it up regardless of anybody or anything else. Without men like me
there wouldn't be big and successful businesses. My mistake was in being one of
those men.”
MAN IN THE GREY FLANNEL SUIT?

A-8. MISS FIRECRACKER
A-9. POLYANNA
A-10. THE TENANT
A-11. CHARADE

A-12. Bosley Crowther wrote in the New York Times that this film was “so strongly
dedicated to the purpose of the American anti-Communist purge that it seethes with the
sort of emotionalism and illogic that is characteristic of so much thinking these days.”
On the other hand, Senator Karl Mundt of South Dakota entered a statement into the
Congressional Record praising it as “undoubtedly the greatest and most stirring
pro-American motion picture of the last decade.”
HIGH NOON? MY SON JOHN?

A-13. “Listen. I work for the CIA. I am not a spy. I just read books! We read everything
that's published in the world. And we – we feed the plots - dirty tricks, codes - into
a computer, and the computer checks against actual CIA plans and operations. I look for
leaks, I look for new ideas. We read adventures and novels and journals. I … I … Who'd
invent a job like that?”
THREE DAYS OF THE CONDOR

A-14. CATCH-22
A-15. SE7EN

A-16. This 1967 comedy was the last film written, directed, produced, and scored by a
Hollywood legend (who also made his final screen appearance in a cameo role.)
COUNTESS FROM HONG KONG?

A-17. ADAM'S RIB
A-18. CARNAGE

A-19. “Some people were born to sit by a river. Some get struck by lightning. Some have
an ear for music. Some are artists. Some swim. Some know buttons. Some know Shakespeare.
Some are mothers. And some people dance.”

A-20. FOREVER AMBER
A-21. A CATERED AFFAIR

A-22. This British film featured my favorite actor in a highly uncharacteristic role as
a busker.

A-23. “The guy was killed in an auto accident! I looked it up! He was driving in the
Yukon, in a pink convertible, to visit his brother who's an ex-con named Frances, when a
tractor trailer comes along and decapitates him. You know what that mean, it means he
doesn't have a head. How am I supposed to write for a guy who doesn't have a head? He's
got no lips, no vocal cords. What do you want me to do?”

A-24. COME BACK TO THE FIVE AND DIME, JIMMY DEAN, JIMMY DEAN

THE OX-BOW INCIDENT?

A-26. LONE STAR
A-27. MURDER BY DEATH

A-28. This sentimental 1938 drama marked the first of four times that a beloved
Hollywood character actress played the mother of a beloved Hollywood star.
OF HUMAN HEARTS?

“Tap directly into her hopes, her wants, her fears, her desires, and her sweet little
panties. Learn how to make that lady ‘friend’ your sex-starved servant. I don't care
how you look. I don't care what car you drive. I don't care what your last bank
statement says. Seduce and Destroy produces an instant, money-back guarantee,
trance-like state that will get you this naughty sauce you want fast.”
MAGNOLIA?

A-30. THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE
A-31. DINNER AT EIGHT
A-32. OKLAHOMA
A-33. LOVERS AND OTHER STRANGERS

A-34. The third film in a highly successful series, it reunited all the major male cast
members from the first two installments, but the leading female players declined to
appear because their characters would not have significant roles in the plot.

THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING?

A-36. This movie – which won an Oscar for Visual Effects – and the movie in the
preceding clue were both based on stories by the same author
THE JUNGLE BOOK?

A-37. OUR TOWN

A-38. The official synopsis of this film describes it as "an exploration of how the
actions of individual lives impact one another in the past, present and future, as one
soul is shaped from a killer into a hero, and an act of kindness ripples across
centuries to inspire a revolution." I hope that cleared that up for you.
CLOUD ATLAS?

A-39. “Well you know, honey, many unplanned pregnancies happen because the man is such a
sexual dynamo, and the woman craves his sperm on an unconscious but very powerful level.”
“Mm-hmm. Mom, I'm truly not comfortable having this conversation with you.”

A-40. This adaptation of a famous novel featured Edna May Oliver in a role that would
later be reprised by one of the actresses in List B.

A-41. HOW TO MURDER YOUR WIFE

A-42. This 1952 film noir about a crusading newspaperman was partly inspired by the
closing of the New York Sun.
DEADLINE USA? CALL NORTHSIDE 777?

A-43. THE WOMEN

A-44. The fifty cars around which the plot of this film revolves include an
Aston-Martin named Mary, a Corvette named Pamela, and – most important – a Mustang
named Eleanor.
THE GUMBALL RALLY?

A-45. MIDNIGHT

A-46. This film does not include the scene from the original novel in which the
protagonist stabs a five year-old boy to death at the zoo. (I guess they afraid of
making him too unsympathetic.)

A-47. THE BIRDCAGE

A-48. A member of sitting royalty received a platinum record as a result of this movie.

A-49. “You bastard!”
“Yes, Sir. In my case an accident of birth. But you, Sir, you're a self-made man.”

A-50. THE TEN COMMANDMENTS

B-1. “When an Immortal finds himself envying the Mortal who is entrusted to his care,
it's a danger signal. Take her in your arms and hold her tight. Kiss her for me, you
lucky Henry!”

B-2. JUDI DENCH

TOM CRUISE? CURTIS ARMSTRONG?

B-4. Reviewing the seminal film that made an international star of this actor, Bosley
Crowther – whom we last heard from back in Clue A-12 – described him as “the most
effective cigarette-mouther and thumb-to-lip-rubber since time began.”

B-5. TYRONE POWER

B-6. To the relief of mystery fans everywhere, plans to cast this actress as a young
version of a beloved fictional sleuth apparently perished in the bowels of Development
Hell.

B-7. “The robber barons of old at least left something tangible in their wake - a coal
mine, a railroad, banks. This man leaves nothing. He creates nothing. He builds
nothing. He runs nothing. And in his wake lies nothing but a blizzard of paper to cover
the pain. Oh, if he said, ‘I know how to run your business better than you,’ that would
be something worth talking about. But he's not saying that. He's saying, ‘I'm gonna kill
you because at this particular moment in time, you're worth more dead than alive.’ Well,
maybe that's true, but it is also true that one day this industry will turn. One day
when the yen is weaker, the dollar is stronger, or when we finally begin to rebuild our
roads, our bridges, the infrastructure of our country, demand will skyrocket. And when
those things happen, we will still be here, stronger because of our ordeal, stronger
because we have survived. And the price of our stock will make his offer pale by
comparison.”

B-8. Real-life roles played by this English actress included a 19th century French
novelist and a 19th century French empress.
MERLE OBERON?

B-9. THELMA RITTER

B-10. This British actress has been married three times – the first time to an
Oscar-winning actor, the last time to a Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist.
CLAIRE BLOOM?

B-11. PETER GRAVES

B-12. This character actor appeared as two different Western outlaws in two different
films about the same legendary gunfight, but his most notable Western role found him
taking part in a cattle drive.

B-13. JANE FONDA
B-14. PATRICK SWAYZE
B-15. SCOTT GLEN
B-16. SEAN PENN

B-17. MISOGYNY AT THE MOVIES, PART THREE:
“Women. Nice ones, the most frigid of the race, it doesn't matter in the end. Inside
they're all the same meat and gristle and hatred just simmering.”

B-18. This Swedish actor has made six films (so far) for Denmark’s most important
living director.

B-19. MICHELLE WILLIAMS
B-20. LEE GRANT
B-21. WILFORD BRIMLEY
B-22. WALLACE FORD
B-23. ROBERT DE NIRO
B-24. WALLACE BEERY
B-25. GEORGE CLOONEY
B-26. GENE LOCKHART
B-27. HUMPHREY BOGART

B-28. This actress probably could have penned the best-selling tell-all book ever if she
had not steadfastly refused to discuss her fourteen-year marriage to a very famous man.

B-29. KATHLEEN TURNER
B-30. VIVIEN LEIGH
B-31. ELIZABETH TAYLOR

B-32. On screen, he romanced – among others – Greta Garbo, Irene Dunne, Joan Crawford,
and the actresses in the two preceding clues.

B-33. JACK LEMMON
B-34. BROCK PETERS

B-35. “Being perfect is not about that scoreboard out there. It's not about winning. It's
about you and your relationship with yourself, your family and your friends. Being
perfect is about being able to look your friends in the eye and know that you didn't let
them down because you told them the truth. And that truth is you did everything you
could. There wasnt one more thing you could've done. Can you live in that moment as best
you can, with clear eyes, and love in your heart, with joy in your heart? If you can do
that gentleman - you're perfect!”

B-36. VICTOR JORY
B-37. SIMON OAKLAND
B-38. WILFRID HYDE-WHITE
B-39. WILLIAM HOLDEN
B-40. GREG KINNEAR

B-41. “It's one thing to want someone out of your life, but it's another thing to serve
them a wake-up cup full of liquid Drano.”
WINONA RYDER?

B-42. He is the most prominent of the three actors who have played both the 35th
President of the United States and his Attorney General.
MARTIN SHEEN? WILLIAM DEVANE?

B-43. ALEC BALDWIN
B-44. MARK WAHLBERG
B-45. BRUNO KIRBY

B-46. This actress showed up in my last movie game by way of the film version of a
popular television sitcom.

B-47. WOODY ALLEN

B-48. He was undoubtedly the best known movie star ever to attend Oxford on an organ
scholarship. (He was also adept at the harpsichord and piano.)

B-49. STEVE BUSCEMI

B-50. As a stuntman, he rode a horse in A Day at the Races and drove a chariot in
Spartacus; as an actor, he played the lead in a David Lynch movie.

B-51. PAUL NEWMAN

B-52. He was the only cast member of the film referenced in the previous clue to appear
in its prequel ten years later.
STROTHER MARTIN? RICHARD KIEL?

B-53. “You are privy to a great becoming, but you recognize nothing. To me, you are a
slug in the sun. You are an ant in the afterbirth. It is your nature to do one thing
correctly. Before me, you rightly tremble. But, fear is not what you owe me. You owe me
awe!”

B-54. Known chiefly as a strong-jawed leading man, he had his best – and most
uncharacteristic – role as a serial killer who targets disabled women.
TONY CURTIS?

B-55. HARVEY KEITEL
B-56. JACKIE COOPER
B-57. LEW AYRES

B-58. She appeared in two of the three movies for which William Wyler won Oscars, but
she was not nominated for either of them.
MYRNA LOY? CATHY O'DONNELL?

B-59. JULIAN SANDS
B-60. JEAN ARTHUR

B-61. “I don't feel the sickness yet, but it's in the post. That's for sure. I'm in the
junkie limbo at the moment. Too ill to sleep. Too tired to stay awake, but the sickness
is on its way. Sweat, chills, nausea. Pain and craving. A need like nothing else I've
ever known will soon take hold of me. It's on its way.”

B-62. CHRIS O'DONNELL
B-63. WALTER PIDGEON

WARREN BEATTY?

B-65. JOHN CLEESE

B-66. Don Adams said that Maxwell Smart’s distinctive voice was an exaggerated version of
his impression of this suave actor.
CARY GRANT? WILLIAM POWELL?

B-67. NICK NOLTE
B-68. JACQUELINE BISSET

B-69. “Cut down? I am what I am precisely because I've eaten my way to the top! I'm a
work of art, created by the finest chefs in the world. Every fold is a brush stroke!
Every crease a sonnet! Every chin a concerto! In short, doctor darling, in my present
form, I'm a masterpiece!”
ROBERT MORLEY?

B-70. His film career included adaptations of novels by Thomas Hardy, D.H. Lawrence,
Bernard Malamud, L.P. Hartley, and Rebecca West.
ALAN BATES?

B-71. DAN AYKROYD
B-72. KATY JURADO
B-73. NICOLAS CAGE

HUGH GRANT?

B-75. “Inside me, I'm screaming and yelling and howling like a trapped animal and nobody
pays any attention. If I had arms, I could kill myself. If I had legs, I could run away.
If I had a voice, I could talk and be some kind of company for myself. I could yell for
help, but nobody would help me.”
TIMOTHY BOTTOMS?

B-76. NAOMIE HARRIS
B-77. JOHN CARRADINE

JAMES WOODS?

DEBORAH KERR?

B-80. This actor – whose eight Tony nominations are a record for male actors – received
the Kennedy Center Honors two years after his ex-wife and one year before this death.
RICHARD BURTON?

B-81. “Tomorrow, mankind will know mutants exist. Shaw, us, they won't differentiate.
They'll fear us. And that fear will turn to hatred.”

B-82. CONRAD NAGLE

B-83. “When your mother left, you cried so hard you were throwin' up. All over the
parlor. So I told you if you looked around you might find her. It was to, eh, give you
an activity. I didn't think you'd carry it like a f**kin' disease.”

B-84. In a 1991 miniseries based on a Dickens novel, she played the guardian of the
young girl she had played on the big screen 45 years earlier.

B-85. LEE J. COBB

B-86. She was married 15 years to a major Hollywood star and 39 years to a major
Czechoslovakian-born British director.

B-87. INGRID BERGMAN

B-88. In two 1950s remakes, she played roles that had previously been played by Irene
Dunne. For one of the films, she got an Oscar nomination, which Dunne had not. For the
other film, she did not get an Oscar nomination, which Dunne had. Got that?
JANE WYMAN?

B-89. CLARK GABLE
B-90. JAMES DEAN

mellytu74

#19 Post by mellytu74 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:40 pm

A-22. This British film featured my favorite actor in a highly uncharacteristic role as
a busker.

CHARLES LAUGHTON is Frank's favorite actor.....so this probably has to be SIDEWALKS of LONDON

A-34. The third film in a highly successful series, it reunited all the major male cast
members from the first two installments, but the leading female players declined to
appear because their characters would not have significant roles in the plot.

How about OCEAN'S 13?

A-40. This adaptation of a famous novel featured Edna May Oliver in a role that would
later be reprised by one of the actresses in List B.

I think it's PRIDE AND PREJUDICE. Oliver was Lady Catherine in the 1940 version and Dame Judi did it in the Keira Knightly version.

A-49. “You bastard!”

Just realized this is Ralph Bellamy and Lee Marvin in THE PROFESSIONALS

B-1. “When an Immortal finds himself envying the Mortal who is entrusted to his care,
it's a danger signal. Take her in your arms and hold her tight. Kiss her for me, you
lucky Henry!”

Another one I just realized... CARY GRANT in The Bishop's Wife.

B-12. This character actor appeared as two different Western outlaws in two different
films about the same legendary gunfight, but his most notable Western role found him
taking part in a cattle drive.

How about JOHN IRELAND? Gunfight at the OK Corral, My Darling Clementine as the two gunfights and Red River as the cattle drive.

B-32. On screen, he romanced – among others – Greta Garbo, Irene Dunne, Joan Crawford,
and the actresses in the two preceding clues.

Not sure about the Liz Taylor movie but ROBERT TAYLOR = Leigh (Waterloo Bridge), Dunne (Magnificent Obsession), Garbo (Camille), Crawford (When Ladies Meet).

B-50. As a stuntman, he rode a horse in A Day at the Races and drove a chariot in
Spartacus; as an actor, he played the lead in a David Lynch movie.

Did David Lynch direct The Straight Story? If so, this HAS to be RICHARD FARNSWORTH

B-58. She appeared in two of the three movies for which William Wyler won Oscars, but
she was not nominated for either of them.
MYRNA LOY? CATHY O'DONNELL?

It can't be Loy. The Oscars as Ben-Hur, Mrs. Miniver and Best Years. Loy is only in one of them.

JAMES WOODS?

I am thinking it might be RON LIEBMAN, who won for Angels in America.

B-80. This actor – whose eight TONY nominations are a record for male actors – received
the Kennedy Center Honors two years after his ex-wife and one year before this death.
RICHARD BURTON?

Tony noms = JASON ROBARDS.

franktangredi

#20 Post by franktangredi » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:00 pm

I've been away all weekend, so I'm a bit late coming to the consolidation.

All the definites are correct.

FILMS

Of those with a single answer with a question mark, only two are not correct.

The two with alternate answers both include the correct answer.

ACTORS

Of those with a single answer with a question mark, 8 are correct and 5 are not.

Of those with alternate answers, all but one include the correct answer.

All of Melly's addenda are correct.

Pastor Fireball

#21 Post by Pastor Fireball » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:23 am

Crazy thought here...

The title of this game is "Star Power" and we have to make 50 matches, using each film only once.

Could these 50 matches have some relation to each of the 50 states (that is, the 50 stars of the flag)?

Pastor Fireball

#22 Post by Pastor Fireball » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:04 am

franktangredi wrote:FILMS

Of those with a single answer with a question mark, only two are not correct.
I believe I've found them.
A-5. “You don't shoot cops. Even I know that. Eva knows it. The only one who doesn't
seem to know is you.”
“I never asked you where all this stuff came from, because I didn't want to hear you lie
to me. Please – ”
“Don't lie to me!"
WHITE HEAT?
I should have recognized this one sooner because this was the second movie that April and I saw together. This was the exchange between Denzel Washington and Ruby Dee in AMERICAN GANGSTER.
A-44. The fifty cars around which the plot of this film revolves include an
Aston-Martin named Mary, a Corvette named Pamela, and – most important – a Mustang
named Eleanor.
THE GUMBALL RALLY?
And I believe this one is the original GONE IN 60 SECONDS.

From what I know, most of the actors In List B have appeared in films whose titles reference a state:

Peter Graves was in Wichita
Scott Glenn was in Nashville
Patrick Swayze was in Waking Up in Reno
Wilford Brimley was in The Hotel New Hampshire
Brock Peters was in Ghosts of Mississippi
Alec Baldwin was in Pearl Harbor and Ghosts of Mississippi
John Cleese was in Charlotte's Web
Dan Aykroyd was in Doctor Detroit
Nicolas Cage was in Leaving Las Vegas
Naomie Harris was in Miami Vice
Ron Leibman was in Garden State

I haven't figured out yet how the states relate to the 50 films in List A.

franktangredi

#23 Post by franktangredi » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:22 am

Okay, let me step in for a second.

Unfortunately, the states thing won't lead anywhere. The number 50 has no significance whatsoever.

To get the Tangredi, focus on the films. Three actors in particular might give you a useful pointer, but the films are the linchpin.

Pastor Fireball

#24 Post by Pastor Fireball » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:24 am

Going back to this clue, I think CBS wanted JENNIFER GARNER to play Miss Marple. If so, she would be here for Pearl Harbor and Dallas Buyers Club.

Pastor Fireball

#25 Post by Pastor Fireball » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:37 am

TOM CRUISE? CURTIS ARMSTRONG?
Cruise was correct all along, from Risky Business. He also did a movie called Elizabethtown, which is a city in Kentucky.
B-7. “The robber barons of old at least left something tangible in their wake - a coal mine, a railroad, banks. This man leaves nothing. He creates nothing. He builds nothing. He runs nothing. And in his wake lies nothing but a blizzard of paper to cover the pain. Oh, if he said, ‘I know how to run your business better than you,’ that would be something worth talking about. But he's not saying that. He's saying, ‘I'm gonna kill you because at this particular moment in time, you're worth more dead than alive.’ Well, maybe that's true, but it is also true that one day this industry will turn. One day when the yen is weaker, the dollar is stronger, or when we finally begin to rebuild our roads, our bridges, the infrastructure of our country, demand will skyrocket. And when those things happen, we will still be here, stronger because of our ordeal, stronger because we have survived. And the price of our stock will make his offer pale by comparison.”
I couldn't think of the name of the film, but the speech was familiar. It was another one of those facepalm moments that you get when you look up an answer. This was the famous speech that GREGORY PECK gave in front of the stockholders in Other People's Money. He was in the original Cape Fear, which is a North Carolina location.
B-35. “Being perfect is not about that scoreboard out there. It's not about winning. It's about you and your relationship with yourself, your family and your friends. Being perfect is about being able to look your friends in the eye and know that you didn't let them down because you told them the truth. And that truth is you did everything you could. There wasnt one more thing you could've done. Can you live in that moment as best you can, with clear eyes, and love in your heart, with joy in your heart? If you can do that gentleman - you're perfect!”
I've never seen Friday Night Lights, but I was pretty sure this speech came from it. And it did. Kyle Chandler played the coach on the TV show, but BILLY BOB THORNTON did it in the film. He was also in Tombstone (Arizona) and The Alamo (Texas).
WINONA RYDER?
This one is correct, as well--from Heathers. She was also in Autumn in New York.