Health Issues

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

Health Issues

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:30 am

I'm having a bit of a health problem right now, which resulted in my spending Wednesday night in the hospital, but it turns out to be something that hopefully will be more of an annoyance for a few months than anything else.

About a week and a half ago, I started having what I thought was a sinus headache around my left eye. After a couple of days, the pain went away, but the vision in that eye didn't work that well and I had double vision when both eyes were open. That went away, after a fashion, because the eyelid started swelling and wound up almost completely shut. I looked like a boxer who took one in the eye. Eye drops didn't help, and I thought I had some sort of infection, so I went to an eye doctor at Emory Clinic, which is located right next door to Emory Hospital here in Atlanta.

The ophthalmologist referred me to a neural ophthalmologist in the same office, and it turns out I suffered a cranial nerve ischemia, somewhat similar to a stroke, that only affected the one nerve. The oxygen supply to the nerve was cut off for a while, resulting in damage to the nerve. This is the nerve that controls the eyelid motion and the motion of the eyeball itself and pupil dilation. I can open the eyelid by using the muscles in my eyebrow (different nerve) but the lid doesn't open and shut on its own, and the eye doesn't move in tandem with the right eye. So, I'm literally looking in two different directions with my two eyes, thus the double vision.

Before they made the diagnosis, however, they wanted to rule out a possible aneurysm, so they sent me to the emergency room at the Emory Hospital next door, where they ran both an MRI and a CT scan (when the MRI turned up some suspicious looking images in my chest). Fortunately, those all proved negative, but it was after 1:00 am (after a 9:30am initial appointment) before we got the results back, so we spent the night there. Needless to say, Mrs. SSS was quite frazzled after what we thought would be a quick trip followed by a prescription for some eye drops or ointment. The good news was that we didn't have to pay for overnight parking.

There is no "cure" except time. The nerve should heal, over a period of 3-6 months, but, ironically, the eyelid control will come back before the control of the eyeball itself, so after a month or so, the double vision should return (looks like I'll be wearing an eye patch for a while). In some cases, the nerve never heals, which probably would mean some very expensive glasses to correct my vision.

Getting old ain't fun but it beats the alternative.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

bazodee

Re: Health Issues

#2 Post by bazodee » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:01 am

As I age, I'm amazed at all the stuff that can go wrong and in total wonder at the complexity of the human body.
Glad that this seems to be resolving itself.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#3 Post by Beebs52 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:54 am

Yikes. Get well!
Well, then

ghostjmf

#4 Post by ghostjmf » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:09 pm

Get Well!

flockofseagulls104

#5 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:29 pm

Sending prayers for your complete recovery so we can continue arguing.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Bob Juch

#6 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:02 pm

Wow, I hope that fixes itself soon. Are you taking an anticoagulant?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

#7 Post by BackInTex » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:05 pm

I'm with the others in hoping for a speeding and full recovery.
silverscreenselect wrote:looks like I'll be wearing an eye patch for a while
Arggg. Wills ya be speaking a certain dialect for that time being, will ya?
Last edited by BackInTex on Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#8 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:07 pm

Bob Juch wrote:Wow, I hope that fixes itself soon. Are you taking an anticoagulant?
I've been taking baby aspirin plus cholesterol medicine for years, so that's continuing. I've got my regular scheduled checkup with the doctor in a couple of weeks so we'll see if we have to up the dosage.

And we went out and bought a patch today and I'll be trying it on tonight. What worries me is the driving; any other problems I have I can deal with by just taking my time.

And I already have the right name, Silver, as a particularly well known pirate.

And, thanks everyone for your good wishes.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#9 Post by Vandal » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:49 pm

Speedy recovery!

Meanwhile, rock it.

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Bob Juch

#10 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:20 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:Wow, I hope that fixes itself soon. Are you taking an anticoagulant?
I've been taking baby aspirin plus cholesterol medicine for years, so that's continuing. I've got my regular scheduled checkup with the doctor in a couple of weeks so we'll see if we have to up the dosage.

And we went out and bought a patch today and I'll be trying it on tonight. What worries me is the driving; any other problems I have I can deal with by just taking my time.

And I already have the right name, Silver, as a particularly well known pirate.

And, thanks everyone for your good wishes.
I drove from South Carolina to NYC for the WWTBAM 10th-anniversary taping party with a patch over my right eye after my detached retina.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN ... 1OS1pBWDRR
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

tlynn78

#11 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:49 am

As I'm sure you've already discovered, your depth perception will be flawed - so be careful on curbs and steps! Heal quickly - the Bobs can't handle Flock without you.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Catfish

#12 Post by Catfish » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:07 pm

Scary night! Heal well.
Catfish

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#13 Post by T_Bone0806 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:15 pm

Perhaps a role in the inevitable next installment of Pirates of the Caribbean is in the offing?

Wishing you a full and speedy recovery, Triple S!
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Snaxx

#14 Post by Snaxx » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:48 pm

See what the lousy Giants can do to you?
Get well soon!
---
Winner of 2011 Sports Madness :mrgreen:

mellytu74

#15 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:59 am

Continued good wishes on your road to recovery, SSS.

geoffil

#16 Post by geoffil » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:58 am

Get well soon!

a1mamacat

#17 Post by a1mamacat » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:07 pm

Yikes, hope things clear up soon.
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

Spock

#18 Post by Spock » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:20 pm

Just read this-hope it turns out OK.

My dad (currently 75) dealt with something similar for about 3 years. Not sure what they called it-but he had double vision and wore a patch-on different eyes (I think). It was probably thyroid related.

They could not do surgery until it settled down on its own-so after a few years with the patch-he had surgery last December and a second one one in March.

The surgeries were successful.

The plus side is that people will definely notice you with the patch. And best of all-you can scare young children.

gsabc

#19 Post by gsabc » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:17 am

Double vision is definitely something to get looked at (pardon the pun) ASAP. Here's to a speedy recovery.

Yeah, gettin' old ain't for the weak and faint-hearted.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

Bob Juch

#20 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:50 am

How about an update, SSS?

silverscreenselect

#21 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:07 am

Bob Juch wrote:How about an update, SSS?
I've been back at work for the last week (we're off today for the Veterans Day holiday) and I have occasional double vision episodes that last a second or two. I can take care of it by focusing on the one image so it's not a problem. But since a second or two might be bad if I'm driving, I've been using a patch to drive and limited where I go. Fortunately, it's only about three miles from home to the train station, so most days that's all the driving I do.

I think the muscle is healing fairly quickly since my lid seems to be opening more, which means I'll probably have to use the patch more often. I have a followup appointment December 4 with the neural ophthalmologist.

Bob Juch

#22 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:02 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:How about an update, SSS?
I've been back at work for the last week (we're off today for the Veterans Day holiday) and I have occasional double vision episodes that last a second or two. I can take care of it by focusing on the one image so it's not a problem. But since a second or two might be bad if I'm driving, I've been using a patch to drive and limited where I go. Fortunately, it's only about three miles from home to the train station, so most days that's all the driving I do.

I think the muscle is healing fairly quickly since my lid seems to be opening more, which means I'll probably have to use the patch more often. I have a followup appointment December 4 with the neural ophthalmologist.
Good to hear you're coping. :D