Transcript 11/8/17 Jacquie Wright

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 11/8/17 Jacquie Wright

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:02 pm

Jacquie Wright
Navy veteran
Indianapolis, Ind.

Jacquie was a cryptologist in the Navy. Her husband’s in the Air Force.

$500
In the term “Navy SEAL,” the “SE” represents “sea,” the “L” represents “land” and the “A” represents what other place they work?
A: Applebee’s B: AT&T
C: Air D: Abercrombie & Fitch

Spoiler
C: Air

$1,000
Geologically speaking, which of the following is NOT one of the three basic categories of rock?
A: Sedimantary B: Metamorphic
C: Igneous D: Punk

Spoiler
D: Punk

$2,000
Directed by Mel Gibson, which of these is the title of an Oscar-winning 2016 film about the heroic pacifist soldier Desmond Doss?
A: “Monkey Wrench Island” B: “Hacksaw Ridge”
C: “Jackhammer Junction” D: “Needlenose Pliers Point”

Spoiler
B: “Hacksaw Ridge”

$3,000
Though its actual anthem is “Advance Australia Fair,” what song is widely considered to be Australia’s unofficial national anthem?
A: Waltzing Matilda B: Danny Boy
C: La Marseillaise D: Auld Lang Syne

Spoiler
A: 80% B: 13% C: 5% D: 2%

Spoiler
A: Waltzing Matilda

$5,000
“There are no ties and no overtimes” and “you really don’t know the score until the end” is how a former champ once described the unique nature of which sport?
A: Football B: Hockey
C: Boxing D: Soccer

Spoiler
C: Boxing

Commercial break

$7,000
China and the U.S. are the top 2 car-producing nations in the world — and all but which of these countries also rank in the top 10?
A: Germany B: South Korea
C: Japan D: France

Spoiler
D: France

$10,000
What FOX sitcom starring Will Forte has a plot concept similar to that of an 1826 Mary Shelley novel, published eight years after “Frankenstein”?
A: “The Werewolf of Paris” B: “The Last Man on Earth”
C: “The Invisible Man” D: “Fantastic Voyage”

Spoiler
Jacquie’s +1 is her husband Charles. He doesn’t know either.

Spoiler
50/50 leaves “The Last Man on Earth” and “The Invisible Man.”

Spoiler
B: “The Last Man on Earth”

Commercial break

$20,000
Diving with dolphins is a popular tourist activity at Marsa Alam, a trendy Egyptian resort town on the west coast of what body of water?
A: Arabian Sea B: Bay of Bengal
C: Strait of Hormuz D: Red Sea

Spoiler
D: Red Sea

Commercial break

QotD
In the U.S. Army, what officer is nicknamed a “full bird” because he wears the insignia of a silver eagle?
A: Colonel B: First lieutenant
C: Brigadier general D: Major

Spoiler
A: Colonel

$30,000
The Aaron, Mirra and Embody are all styles of high-end office chairs created by what designer?
A: Herman Miller B: Charles Eames
C: Le Corbusier D: Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

Jacquie walks away.

Spoiler
A: Herman Miller

ghostjmf

Re: Transcript 11/8/17 Jacquie Wright

#2 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:59 pm

10K: Fantastic Voyage a bad 60s movie starring Raquel Welch about being miniaturized & traveling through human bloodstream. Very bad novelization by Asimov in Sat Eve Post. Dunno which came 1st. Invisible Man a memoir by Ralph Ellison? about being Black in America. Dunno Werewolf. 50/50.

20K: Rule out Bengal & Arabian Sea but need 50/50 back. +1

30K: Have sat in Aeron (note spelling), they are very comfortable, sure enough of Miller to pull trigger.
Last edited by ghostjmf on Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:40 pm

ghostjmf wrote:10K: Fantastic Voyage a bad 60s movie starring Raquel Welch about being miniaturized & traveling through human bloodstream. Very bad novelization by Asimov in Sat Eve Post. Dunno which came 1st. Invisible Man a memoir by Ralph Ellison? about being Black in America. Dunno Werewolf. 50/50.

20K: Rule out Bengal & Arabian Sea but need 50/50 back. +1

30K: Have sat in them, they are very comfortable, sure enough of Miller to pull trigger.
“The Invisible Man” is by H.G. Wells.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

ghostjmf

#4 Post by ghostjmf » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:04 am

"Invisible Man", without the "The", is by Ellison.

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:20 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Jacquie Wright
Navy veteran
Indianapolis, Ind.

Jacquie was a cryptologist in the Navy. Her husband’s in the Air Force.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$10,000
What FOX sitcom starring Will Forte has a plot concept similar to that of an 1826 Mary Shelley novel, published eight years after “Frankenstein”?
A: “The Werewolf of Paris” B: “The Last Man on Earth”
C: “The Invisible Man” D: “Fantastic Voyage”
Spoiler
Jacquie’s +1 is her husband Charles. He doesn’t know either.

Spoiler
50/50 leaves “The Last Man on Earth” and “The Invisible Man.”

Spoiler
B: “The Last Man on Earth”
I'm not familiar with the work, but I do know that B is a FOX sitcom.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$30,000
The Aaron, Mirra and Embody are all styles of high-end office chairs created by what designer?
A: Herman Miller B: Charles Eames
C: Le Corbusier D: Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

Jacquie walks away.
Spoiler
A: Herman Miller
Car Talk was supported in part by Herman Miller and the Airon chair was mentioned several times.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

earendel

#6 Post by earendel » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:22 am

ghostjmf wrote:10K: Fantastic Voyage a bad 60s movie starring Raquel Welch about being miniaturized & traveling through human bloodstream. Very bad novelization by Asimov in Sat Eve Post. Dunno which came 1st. Invisible Man a memoir by Ralph Ellison? about being Black in America. Dunno Werewolf. 50/50.
The movie was filmed first but Asimov's book came out before the movie was released, leading many to believe it was based on the book. His novelization wasn't that bad - it actually tried to incorporate some hard science into the plot.

ghostjmf

#7 Post by ghostjmf » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:44 am

Well, bad is subjective. I was a fan of Asimov's other stuff (I feel I might not be such a fan of the Foundation series if I reread it now; the robot stories, all working on philosophical aspects of Asimov's 3 Laws of robotic behavior, should hold up) & by that standard Fantastic Voyage was *very* bad.

One of the aspects of bad was that the miniaturization of the characters wasn't logical or believable. I was sad that so many people's intro to Asimov would be this novelization.

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:56 am

ghostjmf wrote:Well, bad is subjective. I was a fan of Asimov's other stuff (I feel I might not be such a fan of the Foundation series if I reread it now; the robot stories, all working on philosophical aspects of Asimov's 3 Laws of robotic behavior, should hold up) & by that standard Fantastic Voyage was *very* bad.

One of the aspects of bad was that the miniaturization of the characters wasn't logical or believable. I was sad that so many people's intro to Asimov would be this novelization.
I disagree - Asimov's novelization at least tried to explain how the miniaturization process worked. He also pointed out that the movie had the submarine remain inside the patient, which, when the fragments enlarged, would kill him. So he changed the ending to avoid that plot hole.