Game #174: Movie Matchup

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
plasticene

Re: Game #174: Movie Matchup

#26 Post by plasticene » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:49 am

10. “What gift do you think a good servant has that separates them from the others? It’s the gift of anticipation. And I'm a good servant; I'm better than good, I'm the best; I'm the perfect servant. I know when they'll be hungry, and the food is ready. I know when they'll be tired, and the bed is turned down. I know it before they know it themselves.”

I couldn't remember who said it, but since I was correct in thinking it was from Gosford Park, I don't feel too bad about looking it up: HELEN MIRREN.

Pastor Fireball

#27 Post by Pastor Fireball » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:18 am

65. In 1945, Warner Brothers introduced a cartoon character based on this actor’s most popular role.

I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts that this is Pepe Le Pew, who was based on the lead character in Algiers, played by CHARLES BOYER.
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

Pastor Fireball

#28 Post by Pastor Fireball » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:03 am

42. “You screwed it all up. You screwed up my mother, you screwed me up. He was a man. Right, a real man, see? Everything I wanted, he wanted for me! You stupid bastard. You got me so mad, drove me crazy. ‘I want my cake, Bedelia! You bitch!’ You calling me a bitch!”

"I want my cake, Bedelia!" is another one of those lines that pops up in internet memes a lot, but I could never remember where I first heard it. This came from George Romero's Creepshow, and the speaker was VIVECA LINDFORS.

44. “There is a dead cobra over there. Please do me the kindness of having it removed.”

Not a Bond film, Mr. K. A Poirot film. PETER USTINOV as the Belgian sleuth in Death on the Nile.

54. “You ain't got to love me, but you gonna know that I love you.”

We've already seen her in a Tangredi game this year, and here she is again: NAOMIE HARRIS in Moonlight.

62. “As long as she ate the mouse, she can't see nor hear. Now sing.”

Another one that I couldn't place for the longest time: RUTH GORDON in Rosemary's Baby.
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

mellytu74

#29 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:41 am

Susan Kohner was in the remake of Imitation of Life. Claudette Colbert starred in the original

Vivica Lindfors was in I Accuse, which was about the Dreyfus case. Joseph Schildkraut played Dreyfus in Life of Emile Zola

I am not sure that is enough to carry through for an entire puzzle and we would have to find the refinements.

UNLESS we are looking at Imitation of Life of Emile Zola

I am just spitballing here to see if anything sticks

Pastor Fireball

#30 Post by Pastor Fireball » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:21 am

53. His on-screen wives have included Susan Sarandon, the actress in Clue #35, and two of the three sisters in Crimes of the Heart.

Blythe Danner is #35. The three sisters in Crimes of the Heart were Diane Keaton, Jessica Lange, and Sissy Spacek.

55. As the spokesman for a major British corporation, this actor/writer promised to take good care of us.

This was British Airways in the 1970s, but I cannot place the person's name.

63. In a dual role, this actor got to both kill and be killed by Christoph Waltz.

I was trying to remember who did this in Django Unchained. The guy's name is JAMES REMAR.

mrkelley23

#31 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:08 am

mellytu74 wrote:Susan Kohner was in the remake of Imitation of Life. Claudette Colbert starred in the original

Vivica Lindfors was in I Accuse, which was about the Dreyfus case. Joseph Schildkraut played Dreyfus in Life of Emile Zola

I am not sure that is enough to carry through for an entire puzzle and we would have to find the refinements.

I believe we are looking at NICK NOLTE for #53, which triggered a third pairing for me. Tangredi would be actors who played married historical characters in films.

Blythe Danner played Martha Jefferson in 1776, and Nick Nolte played Thomas Jefferson in Jefferson in Paris

Joan Allen played Pat Nixon in Frost/Nixon, while Frank Langella played Nixon himself. (This one may be problematic, since it's from the same movie. Anyone else on the list play Tricky Dick in the movies?)

Viveca Lindfors played Mrs. Dreyfus, and Schildkraut played Mr. as Melly noted above.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

plasticene

#32 Post by plasticene » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:45 am

mrkelley23 wrote:Joan Allen played Pat Nixon in Frost/Nixon, while Frank Langella played Nixon himself. (This one may be problematic, since it's from the same movie. Anyone else on the list play Tricky Dick in the movies?)
Joan Allen played Pat in Nixon, so this match works.

Pastor Fireball

#33 Post by Pastor Fireball » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:00 am

mrkelley23 wrote:
mellytu74 wrote:Susan Kohner was in the remake of Imitation of Life. Claudette Colbert starred in the original

I believe we are looking at NICK NOLTE for #53, which triggered a third pairing for me. Tangredi would be actors who played married historical characters in films.

Blythe Danner played Martha Jefferson in 1776, and Nick Nolte played Thomas Jefferson in Jefferson in Paris

Joan Allen played Pat Nixon in Frost/Nixon, while Frank Langella played Nixon himself. (This one may be problematic, since it's from the same movie. Anyone else on the list play Tricky Dick in the movies?)

Viveca Lindfors played Mrs. Dreyfus, and Schildkraut played Mr. as Melly noted above.
Yes, you've got it.

Going back to Susan Kohner, who made only ten films: She played Sigmund Freud's wife in her last film, Freud: The Secret Passion. 20. ALAN ARKIN played Mr. Freud in the Sherlock Holmes film The Seven Per Cent Solution

Another person on this list who didn't make a lot of films was 75. MORGAN BRITTANY. She played Vivien Leigh in Gable and Lombard. She was married to Laurence Olivier, played by 1. KENNETH BRANAGH in My Week with Marilyn.

silverscreenselect

#34 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:08 am

Pastor Fireball wrote: 62. “As long as she ate the mouse, she can't see nor hear. Now sing.”

Another one that I couldn't place for the longest time: RUTH GORDON in Rosemary's Baby.
That's one reason I couldn't figure this one out. It's mousse, not mouse. Mia Farrow ate some drugged pudding, not a rodent.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

franktangredi

#35 Post by franktangredi » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:00 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Pastor Fireball wrote: 62. “As long as she ate the mouse, she can't see nor hear. Now sing.”

That's one reason I couldn't figure this one out. It's mousse, not mouse. Mia Farrow ate some drugged pudding, not a rodent.
Yes, but part of Ruth Gordon's character is that she says "mouse" instead of "mousse."

jarnon

#36 Post by jarnon » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:05 pm

WTG, melly! Time for another consolidation.

One of the wrong answers in the last consolidation was corrected (so all the other quotes must be right), but the other error is still out there.

Identify the 90 actors in the clues below. (Every other clue is a quotation.) Then, match them into 48 pairs according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself. Six actors will used twice.

*1. He received one Oscar nomination for playing a role that had previously earned another actor an Oscar nomination, and another Oscar nomination for playing that actor. Got that?
KENNETH BRANAGH

2. KATHERINE HEPBURN

3. Her biographical roles included one singer who survived a plane crash and another who survived alcoholism.
SUSAN HAYWARD

4. CHARLES LAUGHTON

5. She was one of the first stars to receive a Best Actress nomination for playing a thoroughly evil woman. (How evil? She deliberately let her lover’s kid brother drown, that’s how evil.)
GENE TIERNEY

6. “He was a man who loved the outdoors, and bowling, and as a surfer he explored the beaches of Southern California, from La Jolla to Leo Carrillo and up to Pismo. He died, like so many young men of his generation, he died before his time. In your wisdom, Lord, you took him, as you took so many bright flowering young men at Khe Sanh, at Langdok, at Hill 364.”
JOHN GOODMAN?

7. On screen she has played someone who grew up to be Lillian Gish and the mother of someone who grew up to be Anthony Hopkins.
MARY STEENBURGEN

8. LUISE RAINIER

9. This actor was directed four times by Blake Edwards but only once by his own big brother.
RICHARD MULLIGAN

10. “What gift do you think a good servant has that separates them from the others? It’s the gift of anticipation. And I'm a good servant; I'm better than good, I'm the best; I'm the perfect servant. I know when they'll be hungry, and the food is ready. I know when they'll be tired, and the bed is turned down. I know it before they know it themselves.”
HELEN MIRREN

11. Like Jessica Tandy and Joanne Woodward before her, she received the Kennedy Center Honors in tandem with her husband.
RUBY DEE

12. RICHARD HARRIS

13. She received her only Oscar nomination for reprising her Tony-winning role as a mother who discovers her daughter has unexpected behavioral issues.
NANCY KELLY

14. UMA THURMAN

15. In the mid-1960s, this Hollywood legend stopped making feature films and took on the lead in a hit television western series.
RONALD REAGAN? BARBARA STANWYCK?

*16. FRANK LANGELLA

17. She starred opposite Charlie Chaplin in her third film and is still working.
CLAIRE BLOOM?

18. “Most fish languages are a combination of bubbles and mouth movement. At the moment, all I can make is large bubbles and they keep telling me I'm shouting.”
REX HARRISON?

19. This actress of mixed Spanish and Lebanese descent first achieved popularity in the title role of a telenovela.
SALMA HAYEK

*20. ALAN ARKIN

21. A busy leading lady of the 1940s, she had not made a movie in twelve years when she suddenly and spectacularly emerged as a Broadway star, appearing on the cover of Time magazine and winning a Tony award.
ALEXIS SMITH

22. HARVEY PRESNELL

23. This actress boosted my writing career by appearing in two readings of one of my plays at the Pasadena Playhouse – and then derailed my writing career by dropping out of a planned production there to star in The Mountaintop on Broadway. (I still don’t hate her as much as I do Norman Mailer, though.)
ANGELA BASSETT

24. BILL MURRAY

25. This British actress – who is still active in her eighties – shares her name with a late American jazz and cabaret singer.

26. “You know, sometimes I wished people was like dogs, Luke. Comes a time, a day like, when the bitch just don't recognize the pups no more, so she don't have no hopes nor love to give her pain. She just don't give a damn.”
GERALDINE PAGE?

27. Fans of Doctor Who – and I know you’re out there – may remember this actor from his portrayal of the Valeyard, a manifestation of the Doctor’s dark side

28. SIGOURNEY WEAVER

29. In a 1951 film, this actor won what is arguably the most suspenseful tennis match in film history.
FARLEY GRANGER

30. JANE FONDA

31. She enjoyed a career resurgence in the same Broadway musical as the actress in Clue #21, although she was a bigger name at the time thanks to her recent stint in a popular sitcom.

32. ROBERT LOGGIA

33. She and her co-star in a hit 2002 movie won the MTV Movie Award for Best Kiss – and they sure as hell deserved it.

34. “I'm forty-seven. Forty-seven years old. You know how I stayed alive this long? All these years? Fear. The spectacle of fearsome acts. Somebody steals from me, I cut off his hands. He offends me, I cut out his tongue. He rises against me, I cut off his head, stick it on a pike, raise it high up so all on the streets can see. That's what preserves the order of things. Fear.”
DANIEL DAY LEWIS

*35. She is the Tony-winning and Emmy-winning mother of an Oscar-winning actress.
BLYTHE DANNER

36. “You can't fight her. No one ever got the better of her. Never, never. She was beaten in the end, but it wasn't a man, it wasn't a woman. It was the sea!”
LAURENCE OLIVIER?

37. Before winning his Oscar, this actor had appeared on both The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits, as well as playing a villain on Batman.
CLIFF ROBERTSON? BURGESS MEREDITH? ART CARNEY?

38. MORGAN FREEMAN

39. The Epic That Never Was, a 1965 BBC documentary, detailed an ill-fated film left uncompleted, supposedly as the result of injuries sustained by this actress in a car accident.
MERLE OBERON

40. ED HARRIS

41. She raised eyebrows in Hollywood by marrying the man who, a year earlier, had played her son in her signature role.
GREER GARSON

*42. “You screwed it all up. You screwed up my mother, you screwed me up. He was a man. Right, a real man, see? Everything I wanted, he wanted for me! You stupid bastard. You got me so mad, drove me crazy. ‘I want my cake, Bedelia! You bitch!’ You calling me a bitch!”
VIVECA LINDFORS

43. His long career included films based on works by Rudyard Kipling, H.P. Lovecraft, and James Hilton.
RONALD COLMAN

44. “There is a dead cobra over there. Please do me the kindness of having it removed.”
PETER USTINOV

45. She got an Oscar nomination for playing the wife of a Nobel Prize-winning poet.
MIRANDA RICHARDSON

46. DAME JUDI DENCH

47. The warning in the preceding clue was directed at this actor.
COLIN FIRTH

48. “The plaque for the alternates is down in the ladies room.”
VAL KILMER

49. This American actress has been nominated for both a Golden Globe and an Emmy for playing the daughter-in-law of my favorite actress.
ELIZABETH McGOVERN

50. PETER FINCH

51. Her on-screen children included Cary Grant, George Brent, and Joseph Cotton.
ETHEL BARRYMORE

52. KEVIN KLINE

*53. His on-screen wives have included Susan Sarandon, the actress in Clue #35, and two of the three sisters in Crimes of the Heart.
NICK NOLTE

NAOMIE HARRIS

55. As the spokesman for a major British corporation, this actor/writer promised to take good care of us.

56. LIONEL BARRYMORE

57. She was the only actress not related to John Huston to win an Oscar under his direction.
CLAIRE TREVOR

58. TOM SELLECK

59. Best known for teaming with her second husband, this British actress won a BAFTA award for her role in the film version of a Nevil Shute novel about the Japanese occupation of Malaya.
VIRGINIA McKENNA

60. HARVEY KEITEL

61. What the Guinness Book of World Records cites as the “most portrayed movie character” – more than 70 actors in more than 200 films – was portrayed in fourteen of those films by this actor.
BASIL RATHBONE

RUTH GORDON

63. In a dual role, this actor got to both kill and be killed by Christoph Waltz.
JAMES REMAR

64. OLIVIA DeHAVILAND

65. In 1945, Warner Brothers introduced a cartoon character based on this actor’s most popular role.
CHARLES BOYER

66. “He found me first when I was fifteen. We were hunting; it was nearly dark. My horse fell; I was thrown. I woke to Richard touching me. He asked me if I loved him: 'Philip, do you love me?' And I told him yes. Do you know why I told him yes? So that one day I could tell you all about it. You cannot imagine what that 'yes' cost. Imagine snuggling to a chancred whore, and bending back your lips into something like a smile saying, 'Yes, I love you, and I find you beautiful.’ I don’t know how I did it.”

*67. Her on-screen husbands have included Liam Neeson, Jeff Bridges, John Travolta, Joe Mantegna, William H. Macy, and the actors in two of the preceding clues.
JOAN ALLEN

*68. SUSAN KOHNER

69. Acting is a secondary career to this Panamian star, who has won eight Grammy awards and five Latin Grammy awards.
RUBEN BLADES

70. “Do you know about the early days at the Kimberly diamond mines? Do you know what they did to the native workers who stole diamonds? Don't worry, they didn't kill them. That would be like junking your Mercedes just because it had a broken spring.”

71. In 2003, this actor wrote, produced, directed, and starred in a biopic about a groundbreaking black filmmaker – who also happened to be his own father.
MARIO VAN PEEBLES

72. “My family, they got shot down by D.E.A. officers because of a drug problem. I left with the greatest guy on earth. He was a hitman, the best in town, but he died this morning. And if you don't help me, I'll be dead by tonight.”

*73. He played a major role in one film about the life of Jesus and – 38 years later – gave his final performance in another film about the life of Jesus.
JOSEPH SCHILDKRAUT

74. “You cannot have it both ways. A dancer who relies upon the doubtful comforts of human love can never be a great dancer. Never.”

*75. As a child actress under her original name, she appeared in three episodes of The Twilight Zone and entertained us in the film version of a classic Broadway musical.
MORGAN BRITTANY

76. “F**kin' Dante! Poetry-writing faggot! Piece of sh*t mother**ker!”

77. In two different movie musicals, he recreated roles originated on Broadway by Alfred Drake.
HOWARD KEEL

78. “I know your brand of family fun. Tomorrow you'll probably kill the desk clerk, hold up a McDonalds, and drive us a thousand miles out of the way to see the world's largest pile of mud!”
BEVERLY D'ANGELO?

79. The son of one of America’s greatest comic actors, he had one of his best screen roles under the direction of his father’s onetime co-star Woody Allen.
JOSH MOSTEL

80. “Tremendous changes have taken place in the pampered woman who was your wife. It's hard even for me to realize that I'm studying to be a lady welder. And doing very nicely, so it seems.”
CLAUDETTE COLBERT

81. In the past two years, he has played a fictional superhero and a real-life hero of a different kind, both of whom broke the color barrier in their respective fields.
CHADWICK BOSEMAN

82. “It was plain to see that my old pet needed someone, but if it were left up to Roger, we'd be bachelors forever. He was married to his work writing songs. Songs about romance of all things. Something he knew absolutely nothing about.”
ROD TAYLOR

83. Her three best films were directed by Orson Welles, John Frankenheimer and – most memorably – Alfred Hitchcock.
JANET LEIGH

84. FRED WARD

85. She rose to prominence at the Abbey Theatre – where she won acclaim for her performance as Shaw’s Saint Joan – but in her most popular film, she played a Russian.
WENDY HILLER?

86. GLADYS COOPER

87. As a far as I know, he was the only Buddhist ever named Sexiest Man Alive.
RICHARD GERE

88. WALTER PIDGEON

89. This actor received seven fewer Oscar nominations than his wife.
RIP TORN

90. BETTE DAVIS

TANGREDI: Actors played a real-life married couple, in different movies.

MATCHES:

42. VIVECA LINDFORS & JOSEPH SCHILDKRAUT (Dreyfus)
53. NICK NOLTE & 35. BLYTHE DANNER (Jefferson)
67. JOAN ALLEN & 16. FRANK LANGELLA (Nixon)
68. SUSAN KOHNER & 20. ALAN ARKIN (Freud)
75. MORGAN BRITTANY & 1. KENNETH BRANAGH (Olivier)
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

jarnon

#37 Post by jarnon » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:12 pm

SALMA HAYEK played Frida Kahlo in Frida. RUBEN BLADES played Diego Rivera in Cradle Will Rock.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Pastor Fireball

#38 Post by Pastor Fireball » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:59 pm

38. MORGAN FREEMAN played Nelson Mandela in Invictus.
54. NAOMIE HARRIS played Winnie Mandela in Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom.

silverscreenselect

#39 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:09 pm

Rod Taylor played Winston Churchill in Inglorious Basterds; Miranda Richardson played Clementine in Churchill.

Chadwick Boseman played Jackie Robinson in 42 and Ruby Dee played his wife in The Jackie Robinson Story.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#40 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:29 pm

Is 55 Robert Morley? --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

mellytu74

#41 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:56 pm

Edited to put in the correct form. :D

78. BEVERLY D'ANGELO + 40. ED HARRIS (Patsy Cline/Charlie Dick)

88. WALTER PIDGEON + 8. LUISE RAINIER (Florenz Ziegfeld/Anna Held)

49. ELIZABETH McGovern + 29. FARLEY GRANGER (Evelyn Nesbit/Harry Thaw)
Last edited by mellytu74 on Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mellytu74

#42 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:17 pm

5. GENE TIERNEY + 63. JAMES REMAR = Belle Starr (belle Starr) and Sam Starr (Long Riders)

52. KEVIN KLINE + 21. ALEXIS SMITH = Cole Porter (It's Delovely) and Linda Porter (Night and Day)

15. BARBARA STANWYCK + 77. HOWARD KEEL = Annie Oakley (Annie Oakley) and Frank Butler (Annie Get Your Gun)

mellytu74

#43 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:22 pm

24. BILL MURRAY + 41. GREER GARSON = FDR (the movie a couple of years ago with Laura Linney) + Eleanor (Sunrise at Campobello)

mellytu74

#44 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:45 pm

When I saw Harve Presnell here, I KNEW THIS actress had to be here, too.

70. “Do you know about the early days at the Kimberly diamond mines? Do you know what they did to the native workers who stole diamonds? Don't worry, they didn't kill them. That would be like junking your Mercedes just because it had a broken spring.”

KATHY BATES

22. HARVE PRESNELL + 70. KATHY BATES = Leadville Johnny Brown (Unsinkable Molly Brown) + Molly Brown (Titanic)

48. VAL KILMER + 31. YVONNE DECARLO = Moses (Prince of Egypt) and Sepphora (Ten Commandments)

And a couple of first ladies

30. JANE FONDA - Nancy Reagan in The Butler
3. SUSAN HAYWARD - Rachel Jackson in The President's Lady

mellytu74

#45 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:51 pm

One more before bed

57. CLAIRE TREVOR + 6. JOHN GOODMAN = Claire (Babe Ruth Story) and George Herman (THe Babe) Ruth

We also need a Thomas More for Wendy Hiller's Alice and a Nicholas II for Ethel Brrymore's Czarina (Rasputin and the Empress)

mellytu74

#46 Post by mellytu74 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:09 am

71. MARIO VAN PEEBLES (Malcolm X) + 23. ANGELA BASSETT (Betty Shabazz)

Ali and Malcolm X

62. RUTH GORDON (Mary Todd) + 34. DANIEL DAY LEWIS (Abraham Lincoln)

Abe Lincoln in Illinois and Lincoln

64. OLIVIA DeHAVILAND + 9. RICHARD MULLIGAN (Mrs and General George Armstrong Custer)

They Died with Their Boots On and Little Big Man.

Pastor Fireball

#47 Post by Pastor Fireball » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:18 am

Bob78164 wrote:Is 55 Robert Morley? --Bob
YES! THAT'S HIS NAME!

And he got an Oscar nomination for playing Louis XVI, so we need a Marie Antoinette.

franktangredi

#48 Post by franktangredi » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:26 am

One of the definite answers is wrong. The actor suggested fulfills two of the three conditions. The correct actor intersects with the one suggested in one of the relevant movies.

Of the answers with a question mark, three are incorrect. The one with multiple choices includes the correct answer.

jarnon wrote:WTG, melly! Time for another consolidation.

One of the wrong answers in the last consolidation was corrected (so all the other quotes must be right), but the other error is still out there.

Identify the 90 actors in the clues below. (Every other clue is a quotation.) Then, match them into 48 pairs according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself. Six actors will used twice.

*1. He received one Oscar nomination for playing a role that had previously earned another actor an Oscar nomination, and another Oscar nomination for playing that actor. Got that?
KENNETH BRANAGH

2. KATHERINE HEPBURN

3. Her biographical roles included one singer who survived a plane crash and another who survived alcoholism.
SUSAN HAYWARD

4. CHARLES LAUGHTON

5. She was one of the first stars to receive a Best Actress nomination for playing a thoroughly evil woman. (How evil? She deliberately let her lover’s kid brother drown, that’s how evil.)
GENE TIERNEY

6. “He was a man who loved the outdoors, and bowling, and as a surfer he explored the beaches of Southern California, from La Jolla to Leo Carrillo and up to Pismo. He died, like so many young men of his generation, he died before his time. In your wisdom, Lord, you took him, as you took so many bright flowering young men at Khe Sanh, at Langdok, at Hill 364.”
JOHN GOODMAN?

7. On screen she has played someone who grew up to be Lillian Gish and the mother of someone who grew up to be Anthony Hopkins.
MARY STEENBURGEN

8. LUISE RAINIER

9. This actor was directed four times by Blake Edwards but only once by his own big brother.
RICHARD MULLIGAN

HELEN MIRREN

11. Like Jessica Tandy and Joanne Woodward before her, she received the Kennedy Center Honors in tandem with her husband.
RUBY DEE

12. RICHARD HARRIS

13. She received her only Oscar nomination for reprising her Tony-winning role as a mother who discovers her daughter has unexpected behavioral issues.
NANCY KELLY

14. UMA THURMAN

15. In the mid-1960s, this Hollywood legend stopped making feature films and took on the lead in a hit television western series.
RONALD REAGAN? BARBARA STANWYCK?

*16. FRANK LANGELLA

17. She starred opposite Charlie Chaplin in her third film and is still working.
CLAIRE BLOOM?

18. “Most fish languages are a combination of bubbles and mouth movement. At the moment, all I can make is large bubbles and they keep telling me I'm shouting.”
REX HARRISON?

19. This actress of mixed Spanish and Lebanese descent first achieved popularity in the title role of a telenovela.
SALMA HAYEK

*20. ALAN ARKIN

21. A busy leading lady of the 1940s, she had not made a movie in twelve years when she suddenly and spectacularly emerged as a Broadway star, appearing on the cover of Time magazine and winning a Tony award.
ALEXIS SMITH

22. HARVEY PRESNELL

23. This actress boosted my writing career by appearing in two readings of one of my plays at the Pasadena Playhouse – and then derailed my writing career by dropping out of a planned production there to star in The Mountaintop on Broadway. (I still don’t hate her as much as I do Norman Mailer, though.)
ANGELA BASSETT

24. BILL MURRAY

25. This British actress – who is still active in her eighties – shares her name with a late American jazz and cabaret singer.

26. “You know, sometimes I wished people was like dogs, Luke. Comes a time, a day like, when the bitch just don't recognize the pups no more, so she don't have no hopes nor love to give her pain. She just don't give a damn.”
GERALDINE PAGE?

27. Fans of Doctor Who – and I know you’re out there – may remember this actor from his portrayal of the Valeyard, a manifestation of the Doctor’s dark side

28. SIGOURNEY WEAVER

29. In a 1951 film, this actor won what is arguably the most suspenseful tennis match in film history.
FARLEY GRANGER

30. JANE FONDA

31. She enjoyed a career resurgence in the same Broadway musical as the actress in Clue #21, although she was a bigger name at the time thanks to her recent stint in a popular sitcom.

32. ROBERT LOGGIA

33. She and her co-star in a hit 2002 movie won the MTV Movie Award for Best Kiss – and they sure as hell deserved it.

34. “I'm forty-seven. Forty-seven years old. You know how I stayed alive this long? All these years? Fear. The spectacle of fearsome acts. Somebody steals from me, I cut off his hands. He offends me, I cut out his tongue. He rises against me, I cut off his head, stick it on a pike, raise it high up so all on the streets can see. That's what preserves the order of things. Fear.”
DANIEL DAY LEWIS

*35. She is the Tony-winning and Emmy-winning mother of an Oscar-winning actress.
BLYTHE DANNER

36. “You can't fight her. No one ever got the better of her. Never, never. She was beaten in the end, but it wasn't a man, it wasn't a woman. It was the sea!”
LAURENCE OLIVIER?

37. Before winning his Oscar, this actor had appeared on both The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits, as well as playing a villain on Batman.
CLIFF ROBERTSON? BURGESS MEREDITH? ART CARNEY?

38. MORGAN FREEMAN

39. The Epic That Never Was, a 1965 BBC documentary, detailed an ill-fated film left uncompleted, supposedly as the result of injuries sustained by this actress in a car accident.
MERLE OBERON

40. ED HARRIS

41. She raised eyebrows in Hollywood by marrying the man who, a year earlier, had played her son in her signature role.
GREER GARSON

*42. “You screwed it all up. You screwed up my mother, you screwed me up. He was a man. Right, a real man, see? Everything I wanted, he wanted for me! You stupid bastard. You got me so mad, drove me crazy. ‘I want my cake, Bedelia! You bitch!’ You calling me a bitch!”
VIVECA LINDFORS

43. His long career included films based on works by Rudyard Kipling, H.P. Lovecraft, and James Hilton.
RONALD COLMAN

PETER USTINOV

45. She got an Oscar nomination for playing the wife of a Nobel Prize-winning poet.
MIRANDA RICHARDSON

46. DAME JUDI DENCH

47. The warning in the preceding clue was directed at this actor.
COLIN FIRTH

48. “The plaque for the alternates is down in the ladies room.”
VAL KILMER

49. This American actress has been nominated for both a Golden Globe and an Emmy for playing the daughter-in-law of my favorite actress.
ELIZABETH McGOVERN

50. PETER FINCH

51. Her on-screen children included Cary Grant, George Brent, and Joseph Cotton.
ETHEL BARRYMORE

52. KEVIN KLINE

*53. His on-screen wives have included Susan Sarandon, the actress in Clue #35, and two of the three sisters in Crimes of the Heart.
NICK NOLTE

NAOMIE HARRIS

56. LIONEL BARRYMORE

57. She was the only actress not related to John Huston to win an Oscar under his direction.
CLAIRE TREVOR

58. TOM SELLECK

59. Best known for teaming with her second husband, this British actress won a BAFTA award for her role in the film version of a Nevil Shute novel about the Japanese occupation of Malaya.
VIRGINIA McKENNA

60. HARVEY KEITEL

61. What the Guinness Book of World Records cites as the “most portrayed movie character” – more than 70 actors in more than 200 films – was portrayed in fourteen of those films by this actor.
BASIL RATHBONE

RUTH GORDON

JAMES REMAR

64. OLIVIA DeHAVILAND

CHARLES BOYER

66. “He found me first when I was fifteen. We were hunting; it was nearly dark. My horse fell; I was thrown. I woke to Richard touching me. He asked me if I loved him: 'Philip, do you love me?' And I told him yes. Do you know why I told him yes? So that one day I could tell you all about it. You cannot imagine what that 'yes' cost. Imagine snuggling to a chancred whore, and bending back your lips into something like a smile saying, 'Yes, I love you, and I find you beautiful.’ I don’t know how I did it.”

*67. Her on-screen husbands have included Liam Neeson, Jeff Bridges, John Travolta, Joe Mantegna, William H. Macy, and the actors in two of the preceding clues.
JOAN ALLEN

*68. SUSAN KOHNER

69. Acting is a secondary career to this Panamian star, who has won eight Grammy awards and five Latin Grammy awards.
RUBEN BLADES

71. In 2003, this actor wrote, produced, directed, and starred in a biopic about a groundbreaking black filmmaker – who also happened to be his own father.
MARIO VAN PEEBLES

72. “My family, they got shot down by D.E.A. officers because of a drug problem. I left with the greatest guy on earth. He was a hitman, the best in town, but he died this morning. And if you don't help me, I'll be dead by tonight.”

*73. He played a major role in one film about the life of Jesus and – 38 years later – gave his final performance in another film about the life of Jesus.
JOSEPH SCHILDKRAUT

74. “You cannot have it both ways. A dancer who relies upon the doubtful comforts of human love can never be a great dancer. Never.”

*75. As a child actress under her original name, she appeared in three episodes of The Twilight Zone and entertained us in the film version of a classic Broadway musical.
MORGAN BRITTANY

76. “F**kin' Dante! Poetry-writing faggot! Piece of sh*t mother**ker!”

77. In two different movie musicals, he recreated roles originated on Broadway by Alfred Drake.
HOWARD KEEL

78. “I know your brand of family fun. Tomorrow you'll probably kill the desk clerk, hold up a McDonalds, and drive us a thousand miles out of the way to see the world's largest pile of mud!”
BEVERLY D'ANGELO?

79. The son of one of America’s greatest comic actors, he had one of his best screen roles under the direction of his father’s onetime co-star Woody Allen.
JOSH MOSTEL

80. “Tremendous changes have taken place in the pampered woman who was your wife. It's hard even for me to realize that I'm studying to be a lady welder. And doing very nicely, so it seems.”
CLAUDETTE COLBERT

81. In the past two years, he has played a fictional superhero and a real-life hero of a different kind, both of whom broke the color barrier in their respective fields.
CHADWICK BOSEMAN

82. “It was plain to see that my old pet needed someone, but if it were left up to Roger, we'd be bachelors forever. He was married to his work writing songs. Songs about romance of all things. Something he knew absolutely nothing about.”
ROD TAYLOR

83. Her three best films were directed by Orson Welles, John Frankenheimer and – most memorably – Alfred Hitchcock.
JANET LEIGH

84. FRED WARD

85. She rose to prominence at the Abbey Theatre – where she won acclaim for her performance as Shaw’s Saint Joan – but in her most popular film, she played a Russian.
WENDY HILLER?

86. GLADYS COOPER

87. As a far as I know, he was the only Buddhist ever named Sexiest Man Alive.
RICHARD GERE

88. WALTER PIDGEON

89. This actor received seven fewer Oscar nominations than his wife.
RIP TORN

90. BETTE DAVIS

TANGREDI: Actors played a real-life married couple, in different movies.

MATCHES:

42. VIVECA LINDFORS & JOSEPH SCHILDKRAUT (Dreyfus)
53. NICK NOLTE & 35. BLYTHE DANNER (Jefferson)
67. JOAN ALLEN & 16. FRANK LANGELLA (Nixon)
68. SUSAN KOHNER & 20. ALAN ARKIN (Freud)
75. MORGAN BRITTANY & 1. KENNETH BRANAGH (Olivier)

jarnon

#49 Post by jarnon » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:03 am

franktangredi wrote:One of the definite answers is wrong. The actor suggested fulfills two of the three conditions. The correct actor intersects with the one suggested in one of the relevant movies.

RONALD COLMAN
This could be the one. I can't find a Lovecraft film with Ronald Colman.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

mellytu74

#50 Post by mellytu74 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:13 am

RONALD COLMAN

I think this is the wrong one.

Lovecraft is Dunwich Horror so maybe SAM JAFFE?? (Gunga Din, Lost Horizon and Dunwich).