Movie time

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Movie time

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:01 am

I saw a couple of movies over the weekend. First The Post, and then Molly's Game. I enjoyed both a lot. I'll probably wait until New Year's Day to see The Last Jedi so I hope I'm able to avoid spoilers until then. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

MarleysGh0st

Re: Movie time

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:23 am

The Post is on my list to see, but it isn't playing in Ithaca, yet.

I saw Darkest Hour on Saturday and The Last Jedi on Sunday. Darkest Hour made a fine complement to this summer's Dunkirk, with this one showing the political battle taking place at the same time in London. I still find it incredible that Sirius Black and Winston Churchill are the same person. 8)

Spock would also be happy with Darkest Hour, since Churchill does name the enemy, so there's no worry about Klingons on the landing beaches.

silverscreenselect

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:46 am

I will be very surprised if Gary Oldman doesn't win the Best Actor Oscar for Darkest Hour. I'm fairly familiar with World War II, and I learned a couple of things from that. I didn't realize that Churchill became PM on the same day that Germany attacked France and the other Western countries. I can't imagine a more harrowing baptism under fire. And it was actually the support of the minority parties (Labour and Liberal), that allowed Churchill to take over, since the Conservatives really didn't want him.

Needless to say, an attempt to broker peace with Hitler in the summer of 1940 would have been a disaster.

We haven't been able to see The Post or Call Me By Your Name (Timothee Chalamet is the only actor who has a chance against Oldman) yet, but the best film we've seen all year is Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Spock

#4 Post by Spock » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:06 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:The Post is on my list to see, but it isn't playing in Ithaca, yet.

I saw Darkest Hour on Saturday and The Last Jedi on Sunday. Darkest Hour made a fine complement to this summer's Dunkirk, with this one showing the political battle taking place at the same time in London. I still find it incredible that Sirius Black and Winston Churchill are the same person. 8)

Spock would also be happy with Darkest Hour, since Churchill does name the enemy, so there's no worry about Klingons on the landing beaches.
Touche'-i get that I am the only person in the world with that opinion of Dunkirk.

ghostjmf

#5 Post by ghostjmf » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:09 am

A guest on the now-embattled (host Tom Ashbrook on administrative leave largely because he's reportedly been belittling & throwing rejected idea pages, crumpled up, at underlings for years; laid a hand on a woman's leg & issued a curse-word at someone else, too, so this qualifies as "time to get your issues out" for oppressed underlings) On Point NPR radio show (might have been staff history maven Jack Beatty) presented the view, based on a recent book, that Neville Chamberlain had a report from British Intelligence, incorrect as it turned out, that Germany had, pre WWII, the air power to obliterate Britain. Which is why he signed his infamous pact with Hitler. Thought he was buying some time, as opposed to his historical legacy of "just caving".

earendel

#6 Post by earendel » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:19 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:I still find it incredible that Sirius Black and Winston Churchill are the same person. 8)
Ah, polyjuice potion!
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

silverscreenselect

#7 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:40 am

earendel wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:I still find it incredible that Sirius Black and Winston Churchill are the same person. 8)
Ah, polyjuice potion!
There is a makeup Oscar, and there are only six films eligible for this year's award (two or three films will be nominated). They are: Bright (the Will Smith Netflix film which is eligible for Oscars), Darkest Hour, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, I Tonya, Victoria & Abdul, and Wonder.

Bob Juch

#8 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:21 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
earendel wrote:
Ah, polyjuice potion!
There is a makeup Oscar, and there are only six films eligible for this year's award (two or three films will be nominated). They are: Bright (the Will Smith Netflix film which is eligible for Oscars), Darkest Hour, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, I Tonya, Victoria & Abdul, and Wonder.
Bright deserves it but it will probably go to GOTG2.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Spock

#9 Post by Spock » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:32 pm

Bob78164 wrote:I saw a couple of movies over the weekend. First The Post, and then Molly's Game. I enjoyed both a lot. I'll probably wait until New Year's Day to see The Last Jedi so I hope I'm able to avoid spoilers until then. --Bob
Darth Vader is Luke's Dad!

Bruce Willis's character is really dead but he doesn't know it and Haley Joel Osment is the only one who can see him.

Oh, you meant Last Jedi spoilers-

Well, here's one-
Spoiler
The Movie Sucked
LOL

Vandal
Director of Promos

#10 Post by Vandal » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:51 pm

My wife and I went to see Downsizing this week. I didn't know too much about it before and I was pleasantly surprised with it. This could have been a really lame comedy set in the world of "the smalls," but it took a creative turn and tried to tackle a few serious social issues along the way. Actress Hong Chou wonderfully plays a Vietnamese activist who helps Matt Damon's character make some tough decisions.

If this movie was conceived by the Farrelly Brothers and/or starred Will Ferrell, it would have been unwatchable. It was perfect for Alexander Payne.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#11 Post by T_Bone0806 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:40 pm

silverscreenselect wrote: the best film we've seen all year is Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.
Saw this just recently when my son visited and my wife was working. Mike and I have an annual tradition of seeing as many big category Oscar nominees as possible before the awards are passed out. And although nominations haven't yet been announced, it's a pretty safe bet this will scoop up a bunch. Also, we were both interested and my wife was not, so...

Anyway, I really really liked this movie, as did my son. He kept referring to the "Cycle of Spite" that drives it. I was impressed at how a movie with such dark subject matter could make me laugh out loud as often as it did.

McDormand, Rockwell and Harrelson were all terrific.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Ritterskoop

#12 Post by Ritterskoop » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:31 pm

Just watched "Sing" as a new release on Netflix streaming, or might have been Amazon Prime. This new TV has them both baked in so I lose track.

Adorable. Plus any movie where you get to hear Jennifer Hudson doing a Beatles ballad (twice) is OK in my book. She only does smaller pieces in the movie, which work nicely in the context of getting back home. Here is the full version, which does get a bit overbaked in one sequence, but mostly is just glorious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T71MYh8kqZc
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Ritterskoop

#13 Post by Ritterskoop » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:33 pm

I saw The Last Jedi today and thought it fit into the established story just fine. I had seen some hints at gripes (avoided the specifics) and now I don't know what all the grumping is about. There was sacrifice, atonement and redemption. Rian Johnson said his job with the 2nd part of a 3-parter is to leave folks in a pickle, and he did that. If we're complaining about how a cannon shot would look in space, we may be taking a decent story a little too literally.

Spoiler
I did want more of Rose.

Read the trivia notes and found that the Porgs, who are never named in the film, were CGId over the real puffins that were in the film and who couldn't be removed for real because they are protected. That one scene with the Porgs and Chewbacca was worth the $5 I paid for the movie.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

silverscreenselect

#14 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:46 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:I saw The Last Jedi today and thought it fit into the established story just fine. I had seen some hints at gripes (avoided the specifics) and now I don't know what all the grumping is about. There was sacrifice, atonement and redemption. Rian Johnson said his job with the 2nd part of a 3-parter is to leave folks in a pickle, and he did that. If we're complaining about how a cannon shot would look in space, we may be taking a decent story a little too literally.

Spoiler
I did want more of Rose.

Read the trivia notes and found that the Porgs, who are never named in the film, were CGId over the real puffins that were in the film and who couldn't be removed for real because they are protected. That one scene with the Porgs and Chewbacca was worth the $5 I paid for the movie.

As near as I can tell, the people who complained that "this isn't the Star Wars I've loved for 30 years" are people who wanted Johnson to make the exact same movies over again with younger actors and better special effects. In other words, people who have spent the last 30 years going to Star Wars conventions instead of actually having a life.

Ritterskoop

#15 Post by Ritterskoop » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:16 pm

I've done a little reading since my first post, and now I see that a lot of the complaints are about the story not matching fans' guesses - about who is someone's parent(s), someone's character origin, stuff like that.

Whatever, dudes. Just roll with it.
--------

Ritterskoop

#16 Post by Ritterskoop » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:43 pm

On even more reflection, I've gotten off that high horse. I quit the DVD of the most recent Star Trek movie after 20 minutes, and angrily sputtered that it wasn't the Star Trek universe I grew up with. So disillusionment is no stranger, and I will try to be more sympathetic to the SW people who are unhappy.
--------

Estonut
Evil Genius

#17 Post by Estonut » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:54 am

Ritterskoop wrote:On even more reflection, I've gotten off that high horse. I quit the DVD of the most recent Star Trek movie after 20 minutes, and angrily sputtered that it wasn't the Star Trek universe I grew up with. So disillusionment is no stranger, and I will try to be more sympathetic to the SW people who are unhappy.
I'm not current with any of these. Are you talking about changing the details in the original stories or telling new ones (prequels or sequels) that fans don't like?
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

ghostjmf

#18 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:50 am

I'm sure there's a huge fan-fic field for SW & ST. There is for lots of subjects that have fans.

Companies paying for new scripts about the characters the companies own have to be sure they aren't copying a piece of fan fiction. Since its really hard to prove you *haven't* read or seen something, that may lead the paid writers to make "unlikely choices" instead, to get their plots away from fan-fic plots.

Contrarily, fan-fic plots customarily build on each other. So fans can get really attached to their trajectories.

(Marion Zimmer Bradley's "Darkover" fantasy series had fan-fic of which she approved the publication. Some of it was really bad writing, but not all. I'm basing my knowledge of the field on this, which I read years ago.)

Ritterskoop

#19 Post by Ritterskoop » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:21 am

Estonut wrote:I'm not current with any of these. Are you talking about changing the details in the original stories or telling new ones (prequels or sequels) that fans don't like?
It is new stories. In the case of the ST movie I loathed, it was a ridiculous emphasis on action in the first ten minutes, and also a beloved tertiary character had died and there was apparently to be no discussion about it. Maybe that came later, but I just couldn't get through the ship-under-attack stuff. To me, Star Trek is about ideas rather than battles. But they can't sell that to 15-year-old boys who will return to the movie over and over.

Spoiler
In the current SW movie, a beloved character may have done a thing that people think is out of character to the point that it takes them out of the story.
--------

Bob Juch

#20 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:32 pm

Alt-Right Group Takes Credit for ‘The Last Jedi’ Backlash, Bashes ‘Star Wars’ For Including More Women

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/12/star-w ... 201910095/
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Ritterskoop

#21 Post by Ritterskoop » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:14 pm

See, I LOVED that the bridges of the rebel ships just wordlessly included more women. I was remarking that they have creatures of all kinds, and the only bigotry is of the bad guys for non-bad guys; it's not even specifically racist or species-ist.
--------

Ritterskoop

#22 Post by Ritterskoop » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:18 pm

Rotten Tomatoes claims they have adjusted for bots posting negative reviews. But the article was interesting, that someone would dislike a story because it includes too many women.
--------

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#23 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:55 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:Rotten Tomatoes claims they have adjusted for bots posting negative reviews. But the article was interesting, that someone would dislike a story because it includes too many women.

They don't dislike the story... they dislike the concept of forced political correctness, and that is the true target of their anger.

I don't believe this is necessarily a case of that (Unless procreation in outer space happens like it apparently does in the Smurf universe, there SHOULD be more women in Star Wars films), but I get the bitterness people have with the concept simply because I despise PC so much...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

Ritterskoop

#24 Post by Ritterskoop » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:17 pm

Wait, what? Women are half the population and they can't be half the crew?

I get accused of being PC and I embrace it. If I find a nicer way to say something so I don't reduce a person to being a thing, how is that bad? When I take calls at the food pantry, one of the items we ask about is ethnicity, so the grant people can keep track of who we're helping. I don't ask, "What color is the client?" - I ask with which ethnicity do they identify (we do have a Don't Know and a Refuse to Answer option).

Someone said that is just being PC, and I thought, well, then PC is a good thing because WTH? It would be deeply wrong to me to categorize someone as a only skin tone when they are so much more than that. Soon enough, everyone will be beautiful combinations of colors and we will stop asking that stuff.

One of the definitions of polis is a body of citizens, and that's where the word political comes from. It should be our job to learn how to live with each other and treat people like fellow citizens.

lb, maybe we have different definitions of what PC means and that's OK. The way I hear it is always as a thing to be avoided, obviously is a button-pusher for me. Maybe for you, too, but in another direction.
--------

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#25 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:56 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:Wait, what? Women are half the population and they can't be half the crew?

I think the crux of where we disagree on PC can be found here in this statement. You ask why can't the crew represent the general demographics? My answer would simply be that it most often doesn't in the real world, for a variety of reasons. There are very few job sectors where the demographics align very well with the overall population... and you can change "job sector" to all kinds of other different segments of society, and the disparity will still almost always be there. In the case of a movie... unless the rules of the story's world are different from those of society as we know it, then why shouldn't the film represent what actually is? I realize it's stupid to criticize a fantasy film for not being realistic, but unless there was some kind of feminist revolution that took place in the Star Wars universe between the settings of the original and sequel movies, then how could a change be seen as anything but pandering to an idealized notion of what society should be... and I think that, more than anything, is what I would define as political correctness... failing to recognize what is just because one thinks it is wrong or unjust to a demographic that has traditionally been considered to be disadvantaged (And I think it is possible to acknowledge that truth without having to accept that it right)...

The majority of my Walmart co-workers are female, while the overwhelming majority of salaried managers have been male. If someone took the time to get to know the general situations and needs of the men and women who work in retail, they would understand why that continues to be true... even in this time when there are so many career women. But most people on the outside just see that X does not equal Y and assume there must be something discriminatory happening. I think the gender PC may be the most irritating one simply because it is inarguable that men and women ARE different at the basic biological level. There will always be outliers and other anomalies, but from a general standpoint, we're still Venus and Mars...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com