RIP Jerry Van Dyke

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
bazodee

RIP Jerry Van Dyke

#1 Post by bazodee » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:36 pm

Actor and comedian Jerry Van Dyke, the younger brother of Dick Van Dyke, has died, TMZ reports. He was 86 years old.

Van Dyke reportedly died Friday on his ranch in Arkansas. Though no cause of death has been reported, the actor was reportedly involved in a car accident two years ago and his health had been steadily declining.

Van Dyke's most notable role was as Assistant Coach Luther Van Dam on the show "Coach." Van Dyke also appeared on "McLintock!" "Yes Dear," and most recently on "The Millers" and "The Middle."

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

Re: RIP Jerry Van Dyke

#2 Post by T_Bone0806 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:00 pm

bazodee wrote:Actor and comedian Jerry Van Dyke, the younger brother of Dick Van Dyke, has died, TMZ reports. He was 86 years old.

Van Dyke reportedly died Friday on his ranch in Arkansas. Though no cause of death has been reported, the actor was reportedly involved in a car accident two years ago and his health had been steadily declining.

Van Dyke's most notable role was as Assistant Coach Luther Van Dam on the show "Coach." Van Dyke also appeared on "McLintock!" "Yes Dear," and most recently on "The Millers" and "The Middle."

Let us not forget "My Mother The Car".

Well, maybe that's one that should be forgotten. As a kid I thought it was funny though.

He also had a couple of memorable spots on The Dick Van Dyke Show as Rob's brother Stacey, who had a sleepwalking issue.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

jarnon

#3 Post by jarnon » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:12 pm

Shame on you, Wayne, for leaving out My Mother the Car!

I also liked Jerry as Stacey Petrie, Rob's somnambulant brother, on The **** Van **** Show.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

bazodee

#4 Post by bazodee » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:13 pm

jarnon wrote:Shame on you, Wayne, for leaving out My Mother the Car!

I also liked Jerry as Stacey Petrie, Rob's somnambulant brother, on The **** Van **** Show.

I didn't think anyone else would remember My Mother The Car! For those of us born in the vicinity of 1958, that era (and our age) really was a sweet spot for engraving memories in our young impressionable minds.

silverscreenselect

#5 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:02 pm

bazodee wrote: Van Dyke also appeared on "McLintock!" "Yes Dear," and most recently on "The Millers" and "The Middle."
Dick Van Dyke appeared on an episode of The Middle a couple of seasons ago as Jerry's estranged brother. If you get a chance to stream it somewhere, it's well worth watching.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

gsabc

#6 Post by gsabc » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:06 pm

bazodee wrote:
jarnon wrote:Shame on you, Wayne, for leaving out My Mother the Car!

I didn't think anyone else would remember My Mother The Car! For those of us born in the vicinity of 1958, that era (and our age) really was a sweet spot for engraving memories in our young impressionable minds.
"A 1928 Porter/That's my mother dear/She helps me through everything I do/And I'm so glad she's here/My Mother the Car!/My Mother the Car!" (quoted from memory; yes, memories were indeed engraved on this young impressionable mind.)

And for the bonus points, who was the voice of Mom?
Spoiler
Ann Sothern
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#7 Post by littlebeast13 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:17 pm

gsabc wrote:And for the bonus points, who was the voice of Mom?
Spoiler
Ann Sothern

I knew that thanks to watching Nick at Nite back in its early days! They used to rerun The Ann Southern Show, and that tidbit came up in one of their promos of the show (and honestly, I thought they were making that up... "My Mother the Car" sounded like such a stupid title and premise, even to a 12 year old kid!)

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

jarnon

#8 Post by jarnon » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:40 pm

gsabc wrote:"A 1928 Porter/That's my mother dear/She helps me through everything I do/And I'm so glad she's here/My Mother the Car!/My Mother the Car!" (quoted from memory; yes, memories were indeed engraved on this young impressionable mind.)
I identified this theme song in a Tangredi game three months ago:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54540
(You don't think...)
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Estonut
Evil Genius

#9 Post by Estonut » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:07 am

littlebeast13 wrote:"My Mother the Car" sounded like such a stupid title and premise, even to a 12 year old kid!
Not so stupid when some of the competition was stuff like astronauts traveling back to the stone age ("It's About Time"), a guy who passes off a martian as his Uncle Martin ("My Favorite Martian"), a guy who ate a golfball-sized pill and became a superhero ("Mr. Terrific?"), a prospector who was frozen in Alaska in 1900, gets dug up and reanimated in the 60's and goes to live with his son ("The Second Hundred Years") - or the one where
A horse is a horse, of course of course,
and no one can talk to a horse of course,
that is of course, unless the horse,
Is the famous Mister Ed!

I only remembered the huge pill that the guy took. I think it must have been "Mr. Terrific," but I don't remember the title or the actor, even after looking it up today. I only remember him swallowing the pill and making faces, etc.

I also looked up the prospector series, as I could only remember some obscure show where I first saw Monte Markham. That dude has some SERIOUS credits on IMDB! I also didn't know he is still alive and active in projects today.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#10 Post by T_Bone0806 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:55 am

Estonut wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:"My Mother the Car" sounded like such a stupid title and premise, even to a 12 year old kid!
Not so stupid when some of the competition was stuff like astronauts traveling back to the stone age ("It's About Time"), a guy who passes off a martian as his Uncle Martin ("My Favorite Martian"), a guy who ate a golfball-sized pill and became a superhero ("Mr. Terrific?"), a prospector who was frozen in Alaska in 1900, gets dug up and reanimated in the 60's and goes to live with his son ("The Second Hundred Years") - or the one where
A horse is a horse, of course of course,
and no one can talk to a horse of course,
that is of course, unless the horse,
Is the famous Mister Ed!

I only remembered the huge pill that the guy took. I think it must have been "Mr. Terrific," but I don't remember the title or the actor, even after looking it up today. I only remember him swallowing the pill and making faces, etc.

I also looked up the prospector series, as I could only remember some obscure show where I first saw Monte Markham. That dude has some SERIOUS credits on IMDB! I also didn't know he is still alive and active in projects today.

Mr. Terrific it was, The character was Stanley Beamish, played in the pilot by Alan Young ("Mister Ed") but not in the series. Don't recall the actor's name who replaced him. Around the same time there was a series VERY similar called "Captain Nice". The titular hero was played by William Daniels of all people!
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#11 Post by SportsFan68 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:37 pm

T_Bone0806 wrote:
bazodee wrote:Actor and comedian Jerry Van Dyke, the younger brother of Dick Van Dyke, has died, TMZ reports. He was 86 years old.

Let us not forget "My Mother The Car".

Well, maybe that's one that should be forgotten. As a kid I thought it was funny though.

He also had a couple of memorable spots on The Dick Van Dyke Show as Rob's brother Stacey, who had a sleepwalking issue.
Same here. As a kid, I thought it was funny. Then a couple months ago, some network re-ran the pilot episode. Ack! It was awful!

I thought he did a great job in McClintock! That dance solo is priceless IMHO.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

lilclyde54

#12 Post by lilclyde54 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:41 pm

I always thought he was a funny guy. Sorry to see him go.
I felt the change

Time meant nothing and never would again