Weather is not climate-Except when it is

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Spock

Weather is not climate-Except when it is

#1 Post by Spock » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:39 pm

Al Gore on Twitter

>>>>"It’s bitter cold in parts of the US, but climate scientist Dr. Michael Mann explains that’s exactly what we should expect from the climate crisis. http://ow.ly/Gdm230hAFv4 "<<<<

I love this quote from the linked story.

>>>"The US East Coast is experiencing an “old-fashioned” winter, with plenty of cold weather and some heavy snowfall in certain places. "<<<<

Um, maybe the phrase "Old Fashioned" winter, might be an indication that cold weather has happened before.

Bob Juch

Re: Weather is not climate-Except when it is

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:55 pm

Spock wrote:Al Gore on Twitter

>>>>"It’s bitter cold in parts of the US, but climate scientist Dr. Michael Mann explains that’s exactly what we should expect from the climate crisis. http://ow.ly/Gdm230hAFv4 "<<<<

>>>"The US East Coast is experiencing an “old-fashioned” winter, with plenty of cold weather and some heavy snowfall in certain places. "<<<<

Um, maybe the phrase "Old Fashioned" winter, might be an indication that cold weather has happened before.
No, weather is not climate - period.

When they had "Old-fashioned" winter, they weren't having record-setting temperatures in other parts of the world.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#3 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:26 pm

Bob Juch wrote:

When they had "Old-fashioned" winter, they weren't having record-setting temperatures in other parts of the world.
You know this how?
Well, then

flockofseagulls104

#4 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:37 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:

You know this how?
Don't question a person's religion. He has faith.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Bob Juch

#5 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:06 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote: No, weather is not climate - period.

You know this how?
Don't question a person's religion. He has faith.
No, I have Science.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob Juch

#6 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:08 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:

You know this how?
It's called records.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#7 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:42 pm

When were most of the high temperature records for the US States set? When was the highest ever Temperture recorded?
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

flockofseagulls104

#8 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:33 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote: No, weather is not climate - period.

You know this how?
It's called records.
You know nothing, Jon Snow, but you are a good boy, because you do what you're told. Now run along.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#9 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:42 pm

You're kidding, right? The globe has just experienced the four hottest years on record in quick succession, and you're trying to use a time-limited and relatively local phenomenon to cast doubt on the reality of climate change?

Tell you what. If you really believe what you're selling, put your money where your mouth is. I hear that low-lying land in Houston is pretty cheap nowadays. Why not invest in some? --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#10 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:09 pm

Bob78164 wrote:You're kidding, right? The globe has just experienced the four hottest years on record in quick succession, and you're trying to use a time-limited and relatively local phenomenon to cast doubt on the reality of climate change?

Tell you what. If you really believe what you're selling, put your money where your mouth is. I hear that low-lying land in Houston is pretty cheap nowadays. Why not invest in some? --Bob
Sweet cheeks, even lowlying Houston resl estate is a better deal than any climate crazy investment. Or CA fault option. FYI, Harvey hit non lowlying areas.
Last edited by Beebs52 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Well, then

flockofseagulls104

#11 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:13 pm

Bob78164 wrote:You're kidding, right? The globe has just experienced the four hottest years on record in quick succession, and you're trying to use a time-limited and relatively local phenomenon to cast doubt on the reality of climate change?

If you are talking to me, guess what? My backyard is Puget Sound, which is sea level. And you know what? Every six hours the sea level increases! Then it goes down again. I'll let you know when any of my neighbors or I have to abandon our houses.

There may or may not be global cooling, I mean warming, oops, climate change. But when the scientific argument is that a theory is true because there's a consensus or a politician says 'the debate is over', I have doubts that they are truly applying scientific principles. There are many out there that seem to have as much or more credibility than Al Gore or any of his scientific supporters who say human activity is NOT causing any climate change. I also KNOW that we (humankind) do NOT know everything. While it is prudent to do what we can to be kind to our environment, many of the 'climate change' disciples seem to want us to go back to pre-industrialisation. Many of these types of people have gotten into the federal government bureaucracy. Too much of it looks political to me. So I am on the fence, but I will do what I can to be environmentally responsible. And I believe that most people feel that way. Most sane people enjoy breathing clean air and drinking clean water.

#12 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:12 pm

Serious question: where has it warmed. Not in my part of the world. Those records of a global record are the results of the manipulation of local records and all the adjustment are towards warming.

It was Leona Woods Marshall Libby that predicted cooling in the 21st Century not Al Gore
https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=a ... ming&hl=en
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

#13 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:18 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote: While it is prudent to do what we can to be kind to our environment, many of the 'climate change' disciples seem to want us to go back to pre-industrialisation. Many of these types of people have gotten into the federal government bureaucracy. Too much of it looks political to me. So I am on the fence, but I will do what I can to be environmentally responsible. And I believe that most people feel that way. Most sane people enjoy breathing clean air and drinking clean water.
Or as someone once said: you can’t get to the Jetsons by going back to the Flintstones
Suitguy is not bitter.

Bob Juch

#14 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:20 pm

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:

Serious question: where has it warmed. Not in my part of the world. Those records of a global record are the results of the manipulation of local records and all the adjustment are towards warming.

It was Leona Woods Marshall Libby that predicted cooling in the 21st Century not Al Gore
https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=a ... ming&hl=en
Here, we broke records all year.

#15 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:23 pm

Pro tip: all those records only go back to 1850. (Except the CET which goes back to 1659)
Suitguy is not bitter.

Bob Juch

#16 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:25 pm

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:Pro tip: all those records only go back to 1850. (Except the CET which goes back to 1659)
Nope, the Spanish records go back to the 1500s.

#17 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:23 pm

Suitguy is not bitter.

silverscreenselect

#18 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:59 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote: But when the scientific argument is that a theory is true because there's a consensus or a politician says 'the debate is over', I have doubts that they are truly applying scientific principles.
In the words of Luke Skywalker: "Impressive. Every word in that sentence was wrong."

There is no "debate" over global warming in the sense that you can have a debate over whether Obamacare is good or bad. It's those who refuse to accept the scientific consensus, not because they have an alternate theory that does as good or better a job of conforming to the known facts but simply because the scientific consensus conflicts with their political or religious principles who aren't applying scientific principles.

Saying that someday the current theories about global warming might be proved wrong because nobody knows everything is pretty much an argument against the entire scientific method.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

#19 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:19 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote: But when the scientific argument is that a theory is true because there's a consensus or a politician says 'the debate is over', I have doubts that they are truly applying scientific principles.
In the words of Luke Skywalker: "Impressive. Every word in that sentence was wrong."

There is no "debate" over global warming in the sense that you can have a debate over whether Obamacare is good or bad. It's those who refuse to accept the scientific consensus, not because they have an alternate theory that does as good or better a job of conforming to the known facts but simply because the scientific consensus conflicts with their political or religious principles who aren't applying scientific principles.

Saying that someday the current theories about global warming might be proved wrong because nobody knows everything is pretty much an argument against the entire scientific method.
Good will you please state for us what the scientific consensus is exactly?
Suitguy is not bitter.

silverscreenselect

#20 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:42 pm

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:
Good will you please state for us what the scientific consensus is exactly?
https://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

Estonut
Evil Genius

#21 Post by Estonut » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:17 am

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:Good will you please state for us what the scientific consensus is exactly?
What percentage of climate scientists are "actively publishing?"

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/4 ... ian-tuttle
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

silverscreenselect

#22 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:18 am

Estonut wrote:
themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:Good will you please state for us what the scientific consensus is exactly?
What percentage of climate scientists are "actively publishing?"

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/4 ... ian-tuttle
If there are that many climate scientists who don't believe in global warming, then where are their findings being published? Or is this simply a matter of a handful of grumbling being magnified by the right wing press.

The reason that publication is important is that it gives other scientists the ability to review and critique the findings. Generalizations in the National Review are not published studies.

Bob Juch

#23 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:25 pm

It was 116.6° in Sydney today, the hottest since 1939.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#24 Post by Beebs52 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:56 pm

Bob Juch wrote:It was 116.6° in Sydney today, the hottest since 1939.
So? It's 73 there now.
Well, then

Bob Juch

#25 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:32 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:It was 116.6° in Sydney today, the hottest since 1939.
So? It's 73 there now.
It's only 9:00 AM now. It will be in the 90s soon.