Political Correctness

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
flockofseagulls104

Political Correctness

#1 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:52 am

These seem to be real. I drilled down on some of them and they go to the actual source. I am disgusted at our 'higher' education institutions. Sorry, I don't believe in this stuff. If that offends you, please find a safe space and do us all a favor by staying there.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/4 ... us-moments
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Ritterskoop

Re: Political Correctness

#2 Post by Ritterskoop » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:34 am

These are mostly great examples of silly things at which we should roll our eyes and move on. For what it's worth, students from particular cultures are in fact, often late to class. And by their own admission, to everything. That doesn't mean we should cater to it, but it is a true thing.

I am still not a fan of lumping these silly things into the PC label, because I find that label useful sometimes. But maybe I just need a new label.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#3 Post by Vandal » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:59 am

My latest manuscript, The Dragon's Song, is the story of refugees ("boat people") trying to escape from Vietnam during the early eighties. My agent started sending it out after a lengthy hiatus. Here was the first response from an editor at Disney/Hyperion:
Thanks for your query regarding THE DRAGON’S SONG. In today’s climate, I think a white author writing a fictionalized version of an Asian’s story would draw criticism, and sales would suffer as a result. For this reason I am going to pass on this opportunity.
My agent set her straight by letting her know that a real Vietnamese person co-authored the work and is splitting the profits. So now the editor is happy and is reading the manuscript. Yay!

We've had to adjust the sales pitch (query letter) to make it very clear that this is a shared work and not that of a Caucasian intruding on an Asian's turf. Whatever it takes.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Bob Juch

#4 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:06 pm

Vandal wrote:My latest manuscript, The Dragon's Song, is the story of refugees ("boat people") trying to escape from Vietnam during the early eighties. My agent started sending it out after a lengthy hiatus. Here was the first response from an editor at Disney/Hyperion:
Thanks for your query regarding THE DRAGON’S SONG. In today’s climate, I think a white author writing a fictionalized version of an Asian’s story would draw criticism, and sales would suffer as a result. For this reason I am going to pass on this opportunity.
My agent set her straight by letting her know that a real Vietnamese person co-authored the work and is splitting the profits. So now the editor is happy and is reading the manuscript. Yay!

We've had to adjust the sales pitch (query letter) to make it very clear that this is a shared work and not that of a Caucasian intruding on an Asian's turf. Whatever it takes.
I have noticed the biggest critics of White's "cultural approbation" are Whites. :roll:
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

flockofseagulls104

#5 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:03 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Vandal wrote:My latest manuscript, The Dragon's Song, is the story of refugees ("boat people") trying to escape from Vietnam during the early eighties. My agent started sending it out after a lengthy hiatus. Here was the first response from an editor at Disney/Hyperion:

I have noticed the biggest critics of White's "cultural approbation" are Whites. :roll:
I grew up knowing all the terrible things done to racial minorities by people that had the same skin color as I happen to have. I have always thought that it was wrong. But the things that people of my skin color have done in the past have absolutely nothing to do with me, and I refuse to accept any guilt for it. And I think all the politically correct things that are based on 'white guilt' are equally as bad, and is just the same as the bigotry it's supposed to be a remedy for. There are heinous things that have been done in the past (and some in the present) for all racial and ethnic groups. All we can do, as living people, is be the best people we can be and learn from the past, not re-live it.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

mrkelley23

#6 Post by mrkelley23 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:59 pm

Bob Juch wrote:

Trump needs to learn the difference between consequential and consensual.

You need to learn the difference between approbation and appropriation.

I know, I know, stupid autocorrect.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Estonut
Evil Genius

#7 Post by Estonut » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:11 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:You need to learn the difference between approbation and appropriation.

I know, I know, stupid autocorrect.
It's either that or "not enough coffee" or "too much coffee."
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx