Who could forget when Emma Lazarus wrote...?

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Pastor Fireball

Who could forget when Emma Lazarus wrote...?

#1 Post by Pastor Fireball » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:39 pm

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, but not the ones from s**thole countries."
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

elwoodblues

Re: Who could forget when Emma Lazarus wrote...?

#2 Post by elwoodblues » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:50 pm

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself."
Franklin D. Roosevelt

"Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country."
John F. Kennedy

"Why are we having all these people from shithole countries come here?"
Donald J. Trump

BackInTex

#3 Post by BackInTex » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:21 am

Barbara Jordan, August 3, 1994
As a nation of immigrants committed to the rule of law, this country must set limits on who can enter and back up these limits with effective enforcement of our immigration law.
Barbara Jordan, June 28, 1995
Unless there is a compelling national interest to do otherwise, immigrants should be chosen on the basis of the skills they contribute to the U.S. economy.
Barbara Jordan, September 29, 1994
There are people who argue that some illegal aliens contribute to our community because they may work, pay taxes, send their children to our schools, and in all respects except one, obey the law. Let me be clear: that is not enough.
Barbara Jordan, February 25, 1995
Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#4 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:31 am

elwoodblues wrote: "Why are we having all these people from shithole countries come here?"
Donald J. Trump
Trump should hire Spock as one of his Twitter writers. I seem to recall the latter making a similar comment about Sudanese immigrants in Minnesota a couple of years back.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

silverscreenselect

#5 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:39 am

BackInTex wrote:Barbara Jordan, August 3, 1994
As a nation of immigrants committed to the rule of law, this country must set limits on who can enter and back up these limits with effective enforcement of our immigration law.
Unless there is a compelling national interest to do otherwise, immigrants should be chosen on the basis of the skills they contribute to the U.S. economy.
There are people who argue that some illegal aliens contribute to our community because they may work, pay taxes, send their children to our schools, and in all respects except one, obey the law. Let me be clear: that is not enough.
Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave.
Maybe I missed it, but not once in any of those quotes did I see the term "shithole countries."

Bob Juch

#6 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:53 am

BackInTex wrote:Barbara Jordan, August 3, 1994
Gee, I know I'm getting old and forgetful, but when was she President? More false equivalencies from you.

You also left out these quotes from the same article:

“Immigration is far too important to who we are as a nation to become a wedge issue in Presidential politics. We have seen that kind of thing happen before, and it is not productive. I, for one, wish that we would do away with all the hyphenation and just be Americans, together.”– February 24, 1995

“Cultural and religious diversity does not pose a threat to the national interest as long as public policies ensure civic unity. Such policies should help newcomers learn to speak, read, and write English effectively. They should strengthen civic education in the teaching of American history for all Americans.... mmigration to the United States should be understood as a privilege, not a right. Immigration carries with it obligations to embrace the common core of the American civic culture, to seek to become able to communicate – to the extent possible – in English with other citizens and residents, and to adapt to fundamental constitutional principles and democratic institutions.” – June 28, 1995

Solution: Moderates, conservatives & liberals working together
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Spock

#7 Post by Spock » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:28 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
elwoodblues wrote: "Why are we having all these people from shithole countries come here?"
Donald J. Trump
Trump should hire Spock as one of his Twitter writers. I seem to recall the latter making a similar comment about Sudanese immigrants in Minnesota a couple of years back.
I believe that you have promulgated the position that manufacturing jobs probably won't come back. Obviously,we are quickly losing service type retail jobs to self-ch ckouts and so forth. To say nothing of self-driving taxis and semis that are probably coming more quickly than I would desire.

How do you envision an endless stream of poorly skilled immigrants from, say, Somalia and Haiti, making a living given the rapid coming loss of jobs that they can do in the modern economy?

Obviously, we are not an 1800's country with a need for an endless supply of strong backs to fill an empty continent.

Amusingly, Democrat-controlled San Francisco is a literal shithole.

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2015/10/ ... em/409561/

When you need to map out areas of sidewalk poop, you need an intervention.

silverscreenselect

#8 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:46 am

Spock wrote:
How do you envision an endless stream of poorly skilled immigrants from, say, Somalia and Haiti, making a living given the rapid coming loss of jobs that they can do in the modern economy?
Of course. They're dark skinned people from shithole countries so they can't be trained to do anything except work the plantation. How silly of me.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-p ... story.html
“I wanted to come here for a better life. There, they kill people for nothing; they kidnap people for nothing,” said Fabiola Silias of New York, who says she fled unrest in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, in 2006. Silias, 41, who now works as a home health worker, says she has an application for political asylum.

In South Florida, many Haitians work in the healthcare industry. Doing away with the current protections and the work authorizations that go along with them would create an instant labor shortage in that industry, along with construction, hospitality and food processing, according to the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.

Bob Juch

#9 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:38 am

Spock wrote:Obviously, we are not an 1800's country with a need for an endless supply of strong backs to fill an empty continent.
Actually, the country is suffering a severe shortage of carpenters. All the natural disasters plus growth and internal migration are exceeding the supply of construction workers,
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#10 Post by Estonut » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:01 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Spock wrote:Obviously, we are not an 1800's country with a need for an endless supply of strong backs to fill an empty continent.
Actually, the country is suffering a severe shortage of carpenters. All the natural disasters plus growth and internal migration are exceeding the supply of construction workers,
Really? Then why do I get 3 - 5 calls a day from various contractors looking for work?
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Vandal
Director of Promos

#11 Post by Vandal » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:15 pm

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Bob Juch

#12 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:58 pm

Estonut wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
Really? Then why do I get 3 - 5 calls a day from various contractors looking for work?
I said carpenters, not contractors.

elwoodblues

#13 Post by elwoodblues » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:02 pm

From Twitter:

"Before today when you Googled "Trump" and "shithole" all you got were hotel reviews."