Game #177: Now Playing at the Multiplex

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
franktangredi

#1 Post by franktangredi » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:03 am

Identify the 90 movies in the clues below. (Every other clue is a quotation.) Then, match them into 44 triples and one group of four according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself.

Eighteen movies will be used twice, seven movies will be used three times, two movies will be used four times, and two movies will be used five times. No movie can be matched with itself.

I’ve tried my damnedest to avoid alternate matches, but we all know how that usually turns out.

1. The first movie ever shown at the White House, it has not been screened there recently, for obvious reasons (although some people think the current occupant wouldn’t have an issue with it.)

2. “And Nietzsche, with his theory of eternal recurrence. He said that the life we lived we're gonna live over again the exact same way for eternity. Great. That means I'll have to sit through the Ice Capades again.”

3. The record for most Oscars won by a foreign language film – four – is held jointly by Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and this earlier Swedish movie.

4. “That rug really tied the room together.”

5. The actress who won an Oscar for this movie had turned down an offer to star in the original play – which had been written specifically for her – due to her shaky command of the English language.

6. “He's always been king of his world, but we'll teach him fear. We're millionaires, boys. I'll share it with all of you. Why, in a few months, it'll be up in lights on Broadway!

7. In a popular 1997 film, the star of this popular 1983 film is subject to severe criticism due to faulty metalworking technique.

8. “Oh, poor creatures. They've lost their equilibrium because they've lost their faith in love. Oh, l'amour, l'amour!”

9. Many people think that this film – the last by one of Italy’s most successful directors – failed in its initial U.S. release because it had been cut from its original 4 hours and 29 minutes to a mere 3 hours and 49 minutes.

10. “Three Negro women chasing a white police officer down a highway in Hampton, Virginia, in 1961. Ladies, that there is a God-ordained miracle!”

11. If you played my Reign of Terror game, then you will know that this was the film version of the first play by an Asian American to win a Tony award.

12. “I wouldn't sell my bike for all the money in the world. Not for a hundred million, trillion, billion dollars!”
“Then you’re crazy.”
“I know you are, but what am I?”

13. The film version of a novel written by one of my literature professors at Cornell, it gave Danny DeVito one of his first dramatic leads as the widowed father of two sons.

14. “They was giving me ten thousand watts a day, you know, and I'm hot to trot! The next woman takes me on's gonna light up like a pinball machine and pay off in silver dollars!”

15. When the singer who was the subject of this biopic received the Kennedy Center Honors, the actress who played her in the film led the tribute.

16. “You are in a lot of trouble! You should never have moved that knight or kidnapped me. Both will see you undone.”
“It is not I who determine the outcome of these events - it is the will of Allah.”

17. This 1964 fantasy was the first film to win a special Oscar for its makeup.

18. “Is there anything better than butter? Think it over: every time you taste something that's delicious beyond imagining and you say, ‘What is in this?’ the answer is always going to be, ‘Butter.’ The day there's a meteorite heading toward the earth and we have thirty days to live, I am going to spend it eating butter. Here's my final words on the subject: you can never have too much butter.”

19. Walt Disney stated that the mistakes he made on this lavish failure helped him do a better job on his next attempt at a live-action musical – and he sure was right, because that next attempt was Mary Poppins.

20. “With all my heart, I still love the man I killed.”

21. Although Leonard Maltin gave this 1957 horror movie only 1½ stars, he did concede that, “As walking tree movies go, this is at the top of the list.”

22. “What are you doing? Stop it! Stop it! Give me those pictures. You can't photograph people like that.”
“Who says I can't? I'm only doing my job. Some people are bullfighters, some people are politicians. I'm a photographer.”

23. This Pre-Code drama was based on a best-selling memoir by public servant Lewis Lawes.

24. “He is no driver, he is the undertaker.”

25. This movie set during World War I was the last musical penned by Johnny Mercer and provided him with his penultimate Oscar nomination.

26. “You need to be with your family, David.”
“That is my family, but that's not my home. My home is back in 1978!”
“I wish I could take you back in time, David, but it's just too risky.”

27. This was the last theatrical film (to date) directed by the first woman to direct a movie that grossed more than $100,000,000 at the U.S. box office.

28. “This last month has been the most delicious time of my life. Of course we have had our ups and downs. The pressure is intense when two women share their lives. But, oh, but what marvelous intensity it is! Circumstances are not always ideal. The swinish press, the stringent bail terms, meetings with lawyers and so on. But all things considered, we're coping admirably. In fact, gold stars abundant. The cuckold permits her to see their children once a week. There are usually tears and fits of teenage tantrums, too. In time she'll recognize she's just not the mothering kind, and then Barbara will be there to comfort her. Nurse, beloved friend and wise counsel.”

29. In this film, a great comedian pretends to do something that director Werner Herzog would do for real 55 years later.

30. “I beg your pardon. Who are you?”
“I’m Woodrow Wilson. Go to bed.”
“No, you're not Wilson, but your face is familiar. Let me see. You're not anyone I know now - perhaps later on my hunting trip to Africa. Yes, you look like someone I might meet in the jungle.”

31. This was the first of four films in which a beloved English character actress starred as a beloved English character, although the character’s beloved English creator was less than thrilled with the actress’s interpretation of the role.

32. “Are you saying that nobody in New York will work with me?”
“No, no, that's too limited. Nobody in Hollywood wants to work with you either.”

33. The cast of this horror spoof included its director (who would go on to win an Oscar) and his soon-to-be wife (who would go on to be murdered.)

34. “It's great to live by the spirit, to testify day by day for eternity, only what's spiritual in people's minds. But sometimes I'm fed up with my spiritual existence. Instead of forever hovering above I'd like to feel a weight grow in me to end the infinity and to tie me to earth. I'd like, at each step, each gust of wind, to be able to say ‘Now.’ ‘Now’ and ‘now’ and no longer ‘forever’ and ‘for eternity.’”

35. This was the first feature film directed by Spike Lee not to include African American actors in any of its leading roles.

36. “That's the red-light district. I wonder why Savage is hanging around down there.”
“Sex, Frank?”
“Uh, no, not right now, Ed.”

37. This 1986 American comedy was based on a classic film made more than 50 years earlier by Jean Renoir.

38. “You didn't get a second opinion on something called a brain cloud? I mean what are you, a hypochondriac?”

39. Unlike the campy Off-Broadway original, this 2000 spoof did not feature its author in the female lead. (He did, however, play a supporting female role in the movie.)

40. “To fake a convincing murder you have to have discipline. You befriend a local idiot. Harvest the details of her humdrum life and cram her with stories about your husband's violent temper. Secretly create some money troubles: credit cards, perhaps online gambling. With the help of the unwitting, bump up your life insurance. Purchase getaway car. Craigslist. Generic. Cheap. Pay cash. You need to package yourself so that people will truly mourn your loss.”

41. A likely inspiration for Hill Street Blues, this movie was the target of widespread protests by residents of the New York City borough that was its setting.

42. “You ever listen to women talk, man? Do you? 'Cause I do, till it's running outta my ears! I mean I'm on my feet all day long listening to women talk and they only talk about one thing: how some guy f**ked 'em over, that's all that's on their minds, that's all I ever hear about! Don't you know that?”

43. This Charles Bronson flick about a vigilante cop (what else?) pursuing a vicious serial killer received a whopping 0 stars from Roger Ebert, who called it “a scummy little sewer of a movie." (You just can’t please some people.)

44. “Mustard!”

45. One of Hollywood’s perennial tough cookies got her only Oscar nomination for playing a whore with a heart of gold (what else?) in this 1936 tear jerker.

46. “I thought Tristan would never live to be an old man. I was wrong about that. I was wrong about many things. It was those who loved him most who died young. He was a rock they broke themselves against, however much he tried to protect them.”

47. This movie is the nexus where Waiting for Lefty meets Viva Las Vegas.

48. “Oh, Sebastian, what a lovely summer it's been. Just the two of us. Sebastian and Violet. Violet and Sebastian. Just the way it's always going to be. Oh, we are lucky, my darling, to have one another and need no one else ever.”

49. Most of the action in this movie – the eighth installment in a slasher franchise – takes place, not in the location cited in the title, but on a boat heading there.

50. “Here they are again, folks! These wonderful, wonderful kids! Still struggling! Still hoping! As the clock of fate ticks away, the dance of destiny continues!”

51. Many critics pointed out that this 1996 romcom was a distaff spin on a classic play by Edmond Rostand.

52. “The chaiwala has done it again!”

53. The eponymous group featured in this 1991 film later appeared on an Irish postage stamp.

54. “Is it possible that we got so wasted last night that we bought a lifetime supply of pudding and then totally forgot about it?”
“I'd say it's entirely possible.”

55. The star of this 2003 movie received $25,000,000 – the highest salary paid to any actress up to that time – but it did not translate into either critical or box office success: one reviewer called it “Dead Poet’s Society as a chick flick, without the compelling drama and inspiration.”

56. “So you listen to me and you listen well. Are you behind on your credit card bills? Good, pick up the phone and start dialing! Is your landlord ready to evict you? Good! Pick up the phone and start dialing! Does your girlfriend think you're f**king worthless loser? Good! Pick up the phone and start dialing! I want you to deal with your problems by becoming rich!”

57. Done in a pseudo-documentary style, this 1975 thriller was loosely based on a series of murders that took place in the Texarkana area in 1946.

58. “There was one thing my murderer didn't understand; he didn't understand how much a father could love his child.”

59. This 1926 comedy about a flirtatious Canadian manicurist was based on a novel by the first American to win the Nobel Prize for Literature (who was not a fan of the movie.)

60. “The Americans are fools. I offered my services, they refused. So did the East. Now they can both pay for their mistake.”
“World domination. The same old dream. Our asylums are full of people who think they're Napoleon. Or God.”

61. This 1946 melodrama was based on the same James M. Cain novel that had previously served as the basis for Luchino Visconti’s first film.

62. “Oi! Ten thousand years will give you such a crick in the neck.”

63. This musical biopic was loosely – very, very loosely – based on the lives of a great vaudeville star and her songwriter husband, and took its title from her signature song, which she introduced in the Ziegfeld Follies.

64. “We took morphine, diamorphine, cyclizine, codeine, temazepam, nitrazepam, phenobarbitone, sodium amytal, dextropropoxyphene, methadone, nalbuphine, pethidine, pentazocine, buprenorphine, dextromoramide, chlormethiazole. The streets are awash with drugs you can have for unhappiness and pain, and we took them all. F**k it, we would have injected vitamin C if only they'd made it illegal.”

65. Based on a play by Maxwell Anderson, this costumer was the second of four films to feature one actress who had previously won two Oscars and another actress who would later win two Oscars.

66. “Come on, read my future for me.”
“You haven’t got any.”
“What do you mean?”
“Your future's all used up.”

67. Many critics heavily criticized this 1992 movie for seeming to suggest that fantasy offered an effective escape from child abuse.

68. “Everyone she plays with dies.”

69. Otto Preminger’s decision to release this film without a Production Code seal of approval led to the temporary withdrawal of United Artists from the MPAA – and, eventually, to American filmmakers being allowed more freedom to explore taboo topics.

70. “I go outta here every morning, I bust my butt 'cause I like you? You're about the biggest fool I ever saw. A man is supposed to take care of his family. You live in my house, feed your belly with my food, put your behind on my bed because you're my son. It's my duty to take care of you. I owe a responsibility to you, I ain't got to like you!”

71. Woody Allen’s other homage to Paris in the 1920s, it failed to duplicate the success of its predecessor and is regarded by some as one of his worst films.

72. “My father says that you have been my friend. You came back for me.”
“You would have done the same for me.”
“Why would you do this?”
“Because the needs of the one outweigh the needs of the many.”
“I have been and ever shall be your friend.”

73. This release of this actioner about a firefighter’s revenge was postponed for four months due to events that took place a month before the original release date.

74. “The point is, you are alive when they start to eat you. So, you know, try to show a little respect.”

75. One of the most memorable deaths in any slasher film was the stabbing of a sorority girl with a glass unicorn in this movie.

76. “Why is it that there is a gun shop on almost every corner in this community?”
“Why?”
“I'll tell you why. For the same reason that there is a liquor store on almost every corner in the black community. Why? They want us to kill ourselves.”

77. A famous comedian claimed that the hardest acting he ever had to do was trying to look totally inept at boxing in this movie.

78. “Well, 'till they invent a trigger a woman can't pull, if you're a hangman, you're going to hang women.”

79. You may think that George Raft and salmon fishing don’t mix, but this movie begs to differ.

80. “Mabel is not crazy, she's unusual. She's not crazy, so don't say she's crazy.”

81. The subject of this 2004 biopic was the Restoration poet who penned such classics as “Signor Dildo” and that ode to premature ejaculation “The Imperfect Enjoyment.” (Did I mention that it was the Restoration?)

82. “He vas my … boyfriend!”

83. This was the first of two musicals scored by the same composer and lyricist to win the Oscar for Best Picture.

84. “Greetings from the Humungus! The Lord Humungus! The Warrior of the Wasteland! The Ayatollah of Rock and Rolla!”

85. Roger Corman co-produced this exploitation film (what else?) about a woman’s prison – the chief distinction of which was that it marked the debut of a director who would later go on to win an Oscar.

86. “I love my dead gay son!”

87. This French-Italian comedy was adapted from the first of a series of popular books about the friendly rivalry between a Catholic priest and his town’s communist mayor.

88. “First, we'll have an orgy. Then, we'll go see Tony Bennett.”

89. This comedy classic was left off the AFI’s first list of 100 greatest movies; ten years later, it came in at #18, the second-highest ranking of any silent film.

90. “What she needs is a guy that'd take a sock at her once a day, whether it's coming to her or not. If you had half the brains you're supposed to have, you'd have done it yourself, long ago.”
“Do you love her?”
“A normal human being couldn't live under the same roof with her without going nutty! She's my idea of nothing!”
“I asked you a simple question! Do you love her?”
“Yes! But don't hold that against me, I'm a little screwy myself!”
Last edited by franktangredi on Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

Re: Game #177: Now Playing at the Multiplex

#2 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:14 am

12. “I wouldn't sell my bike for all the money in the world. Not for a hundred million, trillion, billion dollars!”
“Then you’re crazy.”

PEE WEE'S BIG ADVENTURE
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

earendel

#3 Post by earendel » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:54 am

franktangredi wrote:Game #177: Now Playing at the Multiplex

Identify the 90 movies in the clues below. (Every other clue is a quotation.) Then, match them into 44 triples and one group of four according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself.

Eighteen movies will be used twice, seven movies will be used three times, two movies will be used four times, and two movies will be used five times. No movie can be matched with itself.

I’ve tried my damnedest to avoid alternate matches, but we all know how that usually turns out.
THE BIG LEBOWSKI

10. “Three Negro women chasing a white police officer down a highway in Hampton, Virginia, in 1961. Ladies, that there is a God-ordained miracle!”
HIDDEN FIGURES

“Then you’re crazy.”
PEE WEE'S BIG ADVENTURE

41. A likely inspiration for Hill Street Blues, this movie was the target of widespread protests by residents of the New York City borough that was its setting.
FORT APACHE: THE BRONX??

60. “The Americans are fools. I offered my services, they refused. So did the East. Now they can both pay for their mistake.”
“World domination. The same old dream. Our asylums are full of people who think they're Napoleon. Or God.”
DR. NO

ALADDIN

“Why would you do this?”
STAR TREK IV: THE VOYAGE HOME

74. “The point is, you are alive when they start to eat you. So, you know, try to show a little respect.”
JURASSIC PARK

84. “Greetings from the Humungus! The Lord Humungus! The Warrior of the Wasteland! The Ayatollah of Rock and Rolla!”
THE ROAD WARRIOR
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#4 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:56 am

I assume that 1 is Birth of a Nation. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#5 Post by frogman042 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:08 am

1. The first movie ever shown at the White House, it has not been screened there recently, for obvious reasons (although some people think the current occupant wouldn’t have an issue with it.)
Girth of a Nation (oops, I mean Birth)

2. “And Nietzsche, with his theory of eternal recurrence. He said that the life we lived we're gonna live over again the exact same way for eternity. Great. That means I'll have to sit through the Ice Capades again.”
A Woody Allen film - thinking it's from Hannah and her Sisters (but maybe Annie Hall?)

3. The record for most Oscars won by a foreign language film – four – is held jointly by Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and this earlier Swedish movie.
WAG: The Seventh Seal

The Big Libowski

7. In a popular 1997 film, the star of this popular 1983 film is subject to severe criticism due to faulty metalworking technique.
Flashdance?

“Then you’re crazy.”
PeeWee's Big Adventure

14. “They was giving me ten thousand watts a day, you know, and I'm hot to trot! The next woman takes me on's gonna light up like a pinball machine and pay off in silver dollars!”
I know this but can't place it.

15. When the singer who was the subject of this biopic received the Kennedy Center Honors, the actress who played her in the film led the tribute.
"What's Love Got To Do With it?" ?

16. “You are in a lot of trouble! You should never have moved that knight or kidnapped me. Both will see you undone.”
“It is not I who determine the outcome of these events - it is the will of Allah.”
The Wind and the Lion

19. Walt Disney stated that the mistakes he made on this lavish failure helped him do a better job on his next attempt at a live-action musical – and he sure was right, because that next attempt was Mary Poppins.
Song of the South?

23. This Pre-Code drama was based on a best-selling memoir by public servant Lewis Lawes.
I Was a Fugitive From a Chain Gang?

25. This movie set during World War I was the last musical penned by Johnny Mercer and provided him with his penultimate Oscar nomination.
Oh, What a Lovely War?

“No, you're not Wilson, but your face is familiar. Let me see. You're not anyone I know now - perhaps later on my hunting trip to Africa. Yes, you look like someone I might meet in the jungle.”
Arsenic and Old Lace

31. This was the first of four films in which a beloved English character actress starred as a beloved English character, although the character’s beloved English creator was less than thrilled with the actress’s interpretation of the role.
Assuming it is the first Miss Marple film - not sure what that is

“No, no, that's too limited. Nobody in Hollywood wants to work with you either.”
Tootsie

33. The cast of this horror spoof included its director (who would go on to win an Oscar) and his soon-to-be wife (who would go on to be murdered.)
The Fearless Vampire Killers (Polanski)

35. This was the first feature film directed by Spike Lee not to include African American actors in any of its leading roles.
Summer of Sam

Fort Apache, The Bronx?

44. “Mustard!”
Clue?

50. “Here they are again, folks! These wonderful, wonderful kids! Still struggling! Still hoping! As the clock of fate ticks away, the dance of destiny continues!”
They Shoot Horses, Don't They

53. The eponymous group featured in this 1991 film later appeared on an Irish postage stamp.
The Commitments?

54. “Is it possible that we got so wasted last night that we bought a lifetime supply of pudding and then totally forgot about it?”
Punch Drunk Love?

Goldfinger?

69. Otto Preminger’s decision to release this film without a Production Code seal of approval led to the temporary withdrawal of United Artists from the MPAA – and, eventually, to American filmmakers being allowed more freedom to explore taboo topics.
Anatomy of a Murder

71. Woody Allen’s other homage to Paris in the 1920s, it failed to duplicate the success of its predecessor and is regarded by some as one of his worst films.
Magic in the Moonlight?

Jurassic Park

76. “Why is it that there is a gun shop on almost every corner in this community?”
“Why?”
“I'll tell you why. For the same reason that there is a liquor store on almost every corner in the black community. Why? They want us to kill ourselves.”
Boyz n the Hood

Young Frankenstein

89. This comedy classic was left off the AFI’s first list of 100 greatest movies; ten years later, it came in at #18, the second-highest ranking of any silent film.
The General?

90. “What she needs is a guy that'd take a sock at her once a day, whether it's coming to her or not. If you had half the brains you're supposed to have, you'd have done it yourself, long ago.”
“Do you love her?”
“A normal human being couldn't live under the same roof with her without going nutty! She's my idea of nothing!”
It Happened One Night

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#6 Post by frogman042 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:17 am

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#7 Post by frogman042 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:21 am

So you have two films with (or someone who thinks he's) Teddy Roosevelt (WInd and the Lion) and the quote includes a reference to Woodrow Willson who screened Birth of the Nation - so that's a triple, but I think it's only a coincidence as I doubt Frank would reference WW directly in the quote.

mellytu74

#8 Post by mellytu74 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:41 am

first pass

BIRTH OF A NATION

HANNAH AND HER SISTERS?

5. The actress who won an Oscar for this movie had turned down an offer to star in the original play – which had been written specifically for her – due to her shaky command of the English language.

THE ROSE TATTOO (Anna Magnani)

6. “He's always been king of his world, but we'll teach him fear. We're millionaires, boys. I'll share it with all of you. Why, in a few months, it'll be up in lights on Broadway!

KING KONG

8. “Oh, poor creatures. They've lost their equilibrium because they've lost their faith in love. Oh, l'amour, l'amour!”

THE WOMEN

HIDDEN FIGURES

ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO’S NEST

COAL MINER’S DAUGHER

18. “Is there anything better than butter? Think it over: every time you taste something that's delicious beyond imagining and you say, ‘What is in this?’ the answer is always going to be, ‘Butter.’ The day there's a meteorite heading toward the earth and we have thirty days to live, I am going to spend it eating butter. Here's my final words on the subject: you can never have too much butter.”

JULIE & JULIA

20. “With all my heart, I still love the man I killed.”’

THE LETTER

TWENTY THOUSAND YEARS IN SING SING

DARLING LILI?

ARSENIC AND OLD LACE

MURDER SHE SAID?

TOOTSIE

SUMMER OF SAM?

37. This 1986 American comedy was based on a classic film made more than 50 years earlier by Jean Renoir.

DOWN AND OUT IN BEVERLY HILLS

FORT APACHE: THE BRONX?

42. “You ever listen to women talk, man? Do you? 'Cause I do, till it's running outta my ears! I mean I'm on my feet all day long listening to women talk and they only talk about one thing: how some guy f**ked 'em over, that's all that's on their minds, that's all I ever hear about! Don't you know that?”

SHAMPOO

44. “Mustard!”

Bette Davis to Jimmy Cagney in THE BRIDE CAME C.O.D.

45. One of Hollywood’s perennial tough cookies got her only Oscar nomination for playing a whore with a heart of gold (what else?) in this 1936 tear jerker.
VALIANT IS THE WORD FOR CARRIE (Gladys George)

WILD IN THE COUNTRY

48. “Oh, Sebastian, what a lovely summer it's been. Just the two of us. Sebastian and Violet. Violet and Sebastian. Just the way it's always going to be. Oh, we are lucky, my darling, to have one another and need no one else ever.”

SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER

THEY SHOOT HORSES, DON’T THEY?

51. Many critics pointed out that this 1996 romcom was a distaff spin on a classic play by Edmond Rostand.

THE COMMITMENTS?

55. The star of this 2003 movie received $25,000,000 – the highest salary paid to any actress up to that time – but it did not translate into either critical or box office success: one reviewer called it “Dead Poet’s Society as a chick flick, without the compelling drama and inspiration.”

MONA LISA SMILE

59. This 1926 comedy about a flirtatious Canadian manicurist was based on a novel by the first American to win the Nobel Prize for Literature (who was not a fan of the movie.)

MANTRAP

61. This 1946 melodrama was based on the same James M. Cain novel that had previously served as the basis for Luchino Visconti’s first film.

THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE

63. This musical biopic was loosely – very, very loosely – based on the lives of a great vaudeville star and her songwriter husband, and took its title from her signature song, which she introduced in the Ziegfeld Follies.

SHINE ON HARVEST MOON

65. Based on a play by Maxwell Anderson, this costumer was the second of four films to feature one actress who had previously won two Oscars and another actress who would later win two Oscars.

PRIVATE LIVES OF ELIZABETH AND ESSEX (Davis and DeHaviland)

“You haven’t got any.”
“What do you mean?”

TOUCH OF EVIL

69. Otto Preminger’s decision to release this film without a Production Code seal of approval led to the temporary withdrawal of United Artists from the MPAA – and, eventually, to American filmmakers being allowed more freedom to explore taboo topics.’

THE MOON IS BLUE?

70. “I go outta here every morning, I bust my butt 'cause I like you? You're about the biggest fool I ever saw. A man is supposed to take care of his family. You live in my house, feed your belly with my food, put your behind on my bed because you're my son. It's my duty to take care of you. I owe a responsibility to you, I ain't got to like you!”

FENCES

79. You may think that George Raft and salmon fishing don’t mix, but this movie begs to differ.

SPAWN OF THE NORTH

YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN

83. This was the first of two musicals scored by the same composer and lyricist to win the Oscar for Best Picture.

GIGI

THE GENERAL

“Do you love her?”

IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT
Last edited by mellytu74 on Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pastor Fireball

#9 Post by Pastor Fireball » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:51 am

First pass...

BIRTH OF A NATION

JULIE & JULIA

FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR

29. In this film, a great comedian pretends to do something that director Werner Herzog would do for real 55 years later.

The one where Charlie Chaplin ate a shoe... was it THE GOLD RUSH or HARD TIMES?

TOOTSIE

THEY SHOOT HORSES, DON'T THEY

56. “So you listen to me and you listen well. Are you behind on your credit card bills? Good, pick up the phone and start dialing! Is your landlord ready to evict you? Good! Pick up the phone and start dialing! Does your girlfriend think you're f**king worthless loser? Good! Pick up the phone and start dialing! I want you to deal with your problems by becoming rich!”

THE WOLF OF WALL STREET

YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#10 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:20 am

Was this game misnumbered? Wasn't Puzzle Jam number 174? --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

kroxquo

#11 Post by kroxquo » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:59 am

A Fish Called Wanda? Kevin Kline was always misquoting Nietzsche

The Big Lebowski

Flashdance

“Then you’re crazy.”

Pee Wee's Big Adventure

Coal Miner's Daughter?

21. Although Leonard Maltin gave this 1957 horror movie only 1½ stars, he did concede that, “As walking tree movies go, this is at the top of the list.”

Day of the Triffids

Arsenic and Old Lace

Tootsie

36. “That's the red-light district. I wonder why Savage is hanging around down there.”
“Sex, Frank?”

One of the Naked Gun Movies

39. Unlike the campy Off-Broadway original, this 2000 spoof did not feature its author in the female lead. (He did, however, play a supporting female role in the movie.)

Torch Song Trilogy?

Fort Apache The Bronx

Aladdin

“Why would you do this?”

Star Trek III The Seach for Spock

75. One of the most memorable deaths in any slasher film was the stabbing of a sorority girl with a glass unicorn in this movie.

One of the Scream Movies

Young Frankenstein
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

franktangredi

#12 Post by franktangredi » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:48 pm

Bob78164 wrote:Was this game misnumbered? Wasn't Puzzle Jam number 174? --Bob
No, Puzzle Jam was misnumbered. It should have been 176.

mrkelley23

#13 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:46 pm

franktangredi wrote:Game #177: Now Playing at the Multiplex

Birth of a Nation?

FLASHDANCE

HIDDEN FIGURES

11. If you played my Reign of Terror game, then you will know that this was the film version of the first play by an Asian American to win a Tony award.

M BUTTERFLY

ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

Lady Sings the Blues?

THE GOLD RUSH

Groucho Marx talking, I think. Can't place the film.

Got to be Margaret Rutherford as Miss Marple, doesn't it?

A Bronx Tale???? Just thinking of coppish movies with a borough in the title.

49. Most of the action in this movie – the eighth installment in a slasher franchise – takes place, not in the location cited in the title, but on a boat heading there.

Jason takes Manhattan?

57. Done in a pseudo-documentary style, this 1975 thriller was loosely based on a series of murders that took place in the Texarkana area in 1946.

Motel Hell? Think that's too late.

58. “There was one thing my murderer didn't understand; he didn't understand how much a father could love his child.”

The Lovely Bones????

DR. NO

Double Indemnity?? That and The Postman Always Rings Twice are the only Cain novels I know.

ALADDIN

BASIC INSTINCT

FENCES

“Why would you do this?”

STAR TREK 4? THE VOYAGE HOME, if so. IT's one of the Star Treks after 2.

YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#14 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:18 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:72. “My father says that you have been my friend. You came back for me.”
“Why would you do this?”

STAR TREK 4? THE VOYAGE HOME, if so. IT's one of the Star Treks after 2.
Not 4. Star Trek 3, The Search for Spock. --Bob

mellytu74

#15 Post by mellytu74 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:26 pm

I just realized this might be THE PHANTOM KILLER.

This one had been nagging me because I knew I knew it:

PSYCHO BEACH PARTY. Charles Busch is the female lead in question.

87. This French-Italian comedy was adapted from the first of a series of popular books about the friendly rivalry between a Catholic priest and his town’s communist mayor.

THE LITTLE WORLD OF DON CAMILLO

I remembered Don Camillio books but had to think of the name of the movie.

silverscreenselect

#16 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:22 pm

mellytu74 wrote:57. Done in a pseudo-documentary style, this 1975 thriller was loosely based on a series of murders that took place in the Texarkana area in 1946.

I just realized this might be THE PHANTOM KILLER.

This one had been nagging me because I knew I knew it:
Nope, it's THE TOWN THAT DREADED SUNDOWN, which was remade a couple of years ago. The original had a decent cast for that type of movie, headed by Ben Johnson.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

silverscreenselect

#17 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:44 pm

franktangredi wrote:17. This 1964 fantasy was the first film to win a special Oscar for its makeup.

73. This release of this actioner about a firefighter’s revenge was postponed for four months due to events that took place a month before the original release date.
17. The Seven Faces of Dr. Lao
21. From Hell It Came
73. Collateral Damage

These movies are my specialty.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

franktangredi

#18 Post by franktangredi » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:08 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
franktangredi wrote:17. This 1964 fantasy was the first film to win a special Oscar for its makeup.

17. The Seven Faces of Dr. Lao
21. From Hell It Came
73. Collateral Damage

These movies are my specialty.
I was pretty sure in my mind who was going to get #21 ... and I was right.

ToLiveIsToFly

#19 Post by ToLiveIsToFly » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:31 pm

MY LIFE AS A DOG?

43. This Charles Bronson flick about a vigilante cop (what else?) pursuing a vicious serial killer received a whopping 0 stars from Roger Ebert, who called it “a scummy little sewer of a movie." (You just can’t please some people.)
10 TO MIDNIGHT?

THE TRUTH ABOUT CATS AND DOGS?

SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE?

HEATHERS

Pastor Fireball

#20 Post by Pastor Fireball » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:18 am

13. The film version of a novel written by one of my literature professors at Cornell, it gave Danny DeVito one of his first dramatic leads as the widowed father of two sons.

This sounds a lot like the plot to JACK THE BEAR... probably another film that the current occupant of the White House would endorse because there were neo-Nazis in it.

38. “You didn't get a second opinion on something called a brain cloud? I mean what are you, a hypochondriac?”

JOE VERSUS THE VOLCANO

46. “I thought Tristan would never live to be an old man. I was wrong about that. I was wrong about many things. It was those who loved him most who died young. He was a rock they broke themselves against, however much he tried to protect them.”

LEGENDS OF THE FALL

64. “We took morphine, diamorphine, cyclizine, codeine, temazepam, nitrazepam, phenobarbitone, sodium amytal, dextropropoxyphene, methadone, nalbuphine, pethidine, pentazocine, buprenorphine, dextromoramide, chlormethiazole. The streets are awash with drugs you can have for unhappiness and pain, and we took them all. F**k it, we would have injected vitamin C if only they'd made it illegal.”

TRAINSPOTTING

78. “Well, 'till they invent a trigger a woman can't pull, if you're a hangman, you're going to hang women.”

THE HATEFUL EIGHT

81. The subject of this 2004 biopic was the Restoration poet who penned such classics as “Signor Dildo” and that ode to premature ejaculation “The Imperfect Enjoyment.” (Did I mention that it was the Restoration?)

Don't tell Ted Cruz about these poems. He'll try to ban them and the movie, THE LIBERTINE.
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

Pastor Fireball

#21 Post by Pastor Fireball » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:05 am

27. This was the last theatrical film (to date) directed by the first woman to direct a movie that grossed more than $100,000,000 at the U.S. box office.

I had to check the timeline on this one. I thought this might have been about Amy Heckerling, who made millions off of Look Who's Talking... but it turns out that Penny Marshall beat her to it by one year with Big. Therefore, the answer is RIDING IN CARS WITH BOYS.

mellytu74

#22 Post by mellytu74 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:21 am

should be getting back to this tonight.

plasticene

#23 Post by plasticene » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:58 pm

Time for a consolidation. When there were multiple answers and only one was definite, I've usually included the alternate guesses in parentheses, except when the definite answerer seemed very certain.

I've added my answers for #9 (Once Upon a Time in America) and #40 (Gone Girl), and I'm sure Slumdog Millionaire is right for #52.

BIRTH OF A NATION

HANNAH AND HER SISTERS? ANNIE HALL? A FISH CALLED WANDA?

THE SEVENTH SEAL? MY LIFE AS A DOG?

THE BIG LEBOWSKI

THE ROSE TATTOO

KING KONG

FLASHDANCE?

THE WOMEN

9. Many people think that this film – the last by one of Italy’s most successful directors – failed in its initial U.S. release because it had been cut from its original 4 hours and 29 minutes to a mere 3 hours and 49 minutes.
ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA

HIDDEN FIGURES

M BUTTERFLY

“Then you’re crazy.”
PEE WEE'S BIG ADVENTURE

JACK THE BEAR

COAL MINER'S DAUGHTER (WHAT'S LOVE GOT TO DO WITH IT? LADY SINGS THE BLUES?)

THE WIND AND THE LION

THE SEVEN FACES OF DR. LAO

JULIE & JULIA

SONG OF THE SOUTH?

THE LETTER

FROM HELL IT CAME

22. “What are you doing? Stop it! Stop it! Give me those pictures. You can't photograph people like that.”
“Who says I can't? I'm only doing my job. Some people are bullfighters, some people are politicians. I'm a photographer.”

TWENTY THOUSAND YEARS IN SING SING (I WAS A FUGITIVE FROM A CHAIN GANG?)

OH, WHAT A LOVELY WAR? DARLING LILI?

FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR

RIDING IN CARS WITH BOYS

28. “This last month has been the most delicious time of my life. Of course we have had our ups and downs. The pressure is intense when two women share their lives. But, oh, but what marvelous intensity it is! Circumstances are not always ideal. The swinish press, the stringent bail terms, meetings with lawyers and so on. But all things considered, we're coping admirably. In fact, gold stars abundant. The cuckold permits her to see their children once a week. There are usually tears and fits of teenage tantrums, too. In time she'll recognize she's just not the mothering kind, and then Barbara will be there to comfort her. Nurse, beloved friend and wise counsel.”

THE GOLD RUSH ( HARD TIMES?)

ARSENIC AND OLD LACE

MURDER SHE SAID?

TOOTSIE

THE FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS

34. “It's great to live by the spirit, to testify day by day for eternity, only what's spiritual in people's minds. But sometimes I'm fed up with my spiritual existence. Instead of forever hovering above I'd like to feel a weight grow in me to end the infinity and to tie me to earth. I'd like, at each step, each gust of wind, to be able to say ‘Now.’ ‘Now’ and ‘now’ and no longer ‘forever’ and ‘for eternity.’”

SUMMER OF SAM

“Sex, Frank?”
NAKED GUN? NAKED GUN 2 1/2? NAKED GUN 33 1/3?

JOE VS. THE VOLCANO

PSYCHO BEACH PARTY

40. “To fake a convincing murder you have to have discipline. You befriend a local idiot. Harvest the details of her humdrum life and cram her with stories about your husband's violent temper. Secretly create some money troubles: credit cards, perhaps online gambling. With the help of the unwitting, bump up your life insurance. Purchase getaway car. Craigslist. Generic. Cheap. Pay cash. You need to package yourself so that people will truly mourn your loss.”
GONE GIRL

FORT APACHE: THE BRONX (A BRONX TALE?)

SHAMPOO

10 TO MIDNIGHT?

44. “Mustard!”
THE BRIDE CAME C.O.D.

VALIANT IS THE WORD FOR CARRIE

LEGENDS OF THE FALL

WILD IN THE COUNTRY

SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER

JASON TAKES MANHATTAN?

THEY SHOOT HORSES DON'T THEY?

SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE

THE COMMITMENTS?

PUNCH DRUNK LOVE?

MONA LISA SMILE

THE WOLF OF WALL STREET

THE TOWN THAT DREADED SUNDOWN

THE LOVELY BONES?

MANTRAP

DR. NO (GOLDFINGER?)

THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE (DOUBLE INDEMNITY?)

ALADDIN

SHINE ON HARVEST MOON

TRAINSPOTTING

THE PRIVATE LIVES OF ELIZABETH AND ESSEX

“You haven’t got any.”
“What do you mean?”
TOUCH OF EVIL

67. Many critics heavily criticized this 1992 movie for seeming to suggest that fantasy offered an effective escape from child abuse.
FINDING NEVERLAND?

BASIC INSTINCT

ANATOMY OF A MURDER (THE MOON IS BLUE?)

FENCES

MAGIC IN THE MOONLIGHT

“Why would you do this?”
STAR TREK III: THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK

COLLATERAL DAMAGE

JURASSIC PARK

SCREAM? (2? 3? 4? ETC.?)

“Why?”
BOYZ IN THE HOOD

77. A famous comedian claimed that the hardest acting he ever had to do was trying to look totally inept at boxing in this movie.

SPAWN OF THE NORTH? THE HATEFUL EIGHT?

80. “Mabel is not crazy, she's unusual. She's not crazy, so don't say she's crazy.”

THE LIBERTINE

YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN

GIGI

THE ROAD WARRIOR

85. Roger Corman co-produced this exploitation film (what else?) about a woman’s prison – the chief distinction of which was that it marked the debut of a director who would later go on to win an Oscar.

HEATHERS

THE GENERAL

“Do you love her?”
IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT

mellytu74

#24 Post by mellytu74 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:18 pm

I just realized this is CAGED HEAT. the director is Jonathan Demme.

I think I put a couple of answers in the wrong spot, which I didn't notice until the consolidation.

THE HATEFUL EIGHT?

SPAWN OF THE NORTH goes with #79

THE LITTLE WORLD OF DON CAMILLO - this goes here and not #88.
Last edited by mellytu74 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

franktangredi

#25 Post by franktangredi » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:19 pm

Of the answers with a single question-marked answer, 7 are right and 3 are wrong.

Of those definite answers that include an alternate in paentheses, all but one are correct. The incorrect one does not include the answer in parentheses, either.

Of those with multiple answers, three include the correct answer and two do not.

There is also one case where there are two answers with question marks, but I think this is a typo. One is the correct answer to that question, the other is the correct answer to the following question.

plasticene wrote:Time for a consolidation. When there were multiple answers and only one was definite, I've usually included the alternate guesses in parentheses, except when the definite answerer seemed very certain.

I've added my answers for #9 (Once Upon a Time in America) and #40 (Gone Girl), and I'm sure Slumdog Millionaire is right for #52.

BIRTH OF A NATION

HANNAH AND HER SISTERS? ANNIE HALL? A FISH CALLED WANDA?

THE SEVENTH SEAL? MY LIFE AS A DOG?

THE BIG LEBOWSKI

THE ROSE TATTOO

KING KONG

FLASHDANCE?

THE WOMEN

ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA

HIDDEN FIGURES

M BUTTERFLY

“Then you’re crazy.”
PEE WEE'S BIG ADVENTURE

JACK THE BEAR

COAL MINER'S DAUGHTER (WHAT'S LOVE GOT TO DO WITH IT? LADY SINGS THE BLUES?)

THE WIND AND THE LION

THE SEVEN FACES OF DR. LAO

JULIE & JULIA

SONG OF THE SOUTH?

THE LETTER

FROM HELL IT CAME

TWENTY THOUSAND YEARS IN SING SING (I WAS A FUGITIVE FROM A CHAIN GANG?)

OH, WHAT A LOVELY WAR? DARLING LILI?

FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR

RIDING IN CARS WITH BOYS

THE GOLD RUSH ( HARD TIMES?)

ARSENIC AND OLD LACE

MURDER SHE SAID?

TOOTSIE

THE FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS

SUMMER OF SAM

“Sex, Frank?”
NAKED GUN? NAKED GUN 2 1/2? NAKED GUN 33 1/3?

JOE VS. THE VOLCANO

PSYCHO BEACH PARTY

GONE GIRL

FORT APACHE: THE BRONX (A BRONX TALE?)

SHAMPOO

10 TO MIDNIGHT?

44. “Mustard!”
THE BRIDE CAME C.O.D.

VALIANT IS THE WORD FOR CARRIE

LEGENDS OF THE FALL

WILD IN THE COUNTRY

SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER

JASON TAKES MANHATTAN?

THEY SHOOT HORSES DON'T THEY?

SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE

THE COMMITMENTS?

PUNCH DRUNK LOVE?

MONA LISA SMILE

THE WOLF OF WALL STREET

THE TOWN THAT DREADED SUNDOWN

THE LOVELY BONES?

MANTRAP

DR. NO (GOLDFINGER?)

THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE (DOUBLE INDEMNITY?)

ALADDIN

SHINE ON HARVEST MOON

TRAINSPOTTING

THE PRIVATE LIVES OF ELIZABETH AND ESSEX

“You haven’t got any.”
“What do you mean?”
TOUCH OF EVIL

FINDING NEVERLAND?

BASIC INSTINCT

ANATOMY OF A MURDER (THE MOON IS BLUE?)

FENCES

MAGIC IN THE MOONLIGHT

“Why would you do this?”
STAR TREK III: THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK

COLLATERAL DAMAGE

JURASSIC PARK

SCREAM? (2? 3? 4? ETC.?)

“Why?”
BOYZ IN THE HOOD

SPAWN OF THE NORTH? THE HATEFUL EIGHT?

THE LIBERTINE

YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN

GIGI

THE ROAD WARRIOR

HEATHERS

THE GENERAL

“Do you love her?”
IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT