Walmart to lay off thousands of employees

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

Walmart to lay off thousands of employees

#1 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:24 pm

Walmart has announced that it will lay off thousands of workers across the country as it closes dozens of Sam's Club locations.

The announcement comes on the same day the retail giant announced it was raising its starting minimum wage for new employees to $11 an hour.

The company told Business Insider that 63 Sam's Club stores will close. Some locations reportedly stopped business suddenly on Thursday without giving advance warning to employees.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

jaybee

Re: Walmart to lay off thousands of employees

#2 Post by jaybee » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:24 pm

They're not targeting Walmart employees who have just bought new cars are they?
Jaybee

silverscreenselect

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:43 pm

Let's add Kimberly-Clark to the list:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/23/busi ... ctionfront

And remember the Trump tax cut that was going to lead to all those wonderful new jobs?
Restructurings typically come with upfront costs for the companies, as they pay workers severance or renegotiate leases. In a conference call with analysts on Tuesday, Kimberly-Clark’s chief financial officer, Maria Henry, said “cash flow benefits” from the Republican tax cut would help fund “the restructuring program over the next few years.” She said the tax savings would also be used to make capital investments and to “allocate significant capital to shareholders.”

In addition to announcing job cuts on Tuesday, Kimberly-Clark said it would raise its quarterly dividend by 3.1 percent this year. Last year, the company spent about $900 million repurchasing its own shares.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#4 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:46 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:Let's add Kimberly-Clark to the list:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/23/busi ... ctionfront

And remember the Trump tax cut that was going to lead to all those wonderful new jobs?
Restructurings typically come with upfront costs for the companies, as they pay workers severance or renegotiate leases. In a conference call with analysts on Tuesday, Kimberly-Clark’s chief financial officer, Maria Henry, said “cash flow benefits” from the Republican tax cut would help fund “the restructuring program over the next few years.” She said the tax savings would also be used to make capital investments and to “allocate significant capital to shareholders.”

In addition to announcing job cuts on Tuesday, Kimberly-Clark said it would raise its quarterly dividend by 3.1 percent this year. Last year, the company spent about $900 million repurchasing its own shares.
Corporate tax cuts: great for companies and their owners. For employees, not so much. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#5 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:12 pm

Walmart is closing some Sams Clubs and KC restructuring. Online sales, etc are cited, not tax program.
Well, then

silverscreenselect

#6 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:17 pm

Beebs52 wrote:Walmart is closing some Sams Clubs and KC restructuring. Online sales, etc are cited, not tax program.
Obviously, Walmart has better PR people than Kimberly-Clark does.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#7 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:21 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:Walmart is closing some Sams Clubs and KC restructuring. Online sales, etc are cited, not tax program.
How so? This stuff has been in the works for awhile.
Well, then

tlynn78

#8 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:42 pm

Raising the minimum wage might have a little to do with it.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

silverscreenselect

#9 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:01 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:
How so? This stuff has been in the works for awhile.
Walmart was smart enough not to mention that the tax cut is helping them take care of "restructuring costs" (translation: severance packages) when they laid off thousands of employees.

Bob Juch

#10 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:03 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
The minimum wage hasn't been raised. :roll:
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

tlynn78

#11 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:04 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:
The minimum wage hasn't been raised. :roll:
:roll:
Maybe not where you are, but it was here.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire