Game #177: Now Playing at the Multiplex

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
franktangredi

Re: Game #177: Now Playing at the Multiplex

#101 Post by franktangredi » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:41 pm

mellytu74 wrote:
franktangredi wrote:Since there are legit alternates, do you want me to identify the matches that weren't what I had in mind?
Oh, sure. I am having too much fun with this but I still want to know what they are. We will go over 44 legit matches, I suspect.

We can switch Amy Adams to Julie and Julia, which is what I suspect her full title was supposed to be (upon further review)
23. TWENTY THOUSAND YEARS IN SING SING = Sing (Lorraine Bracco 27. RIDING IN CARS WITH BOYS) + (Matthew McConaughey 56. THE WOLF OF WALL STREET)

I had Lorraine Bracco here for a different movie, but it doesn’t make a difference in the overall count.

85. CAGED HEAT = Caged (Lee Patrick 17. THE SEVEN FACES OF DR. LAO) + Heat (Robert DeNiro 9. ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA)

I had a different actor for CAGED, from one of the unidentified movies

41. FORT APACHE: THE BRONX = Fort Apache Henry Fonda (79. SPAWN OF THE NORTH) + ???

You won’t ever complete this match.

48. SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER = Suddenly James Gleason (30. ARSENIC AND OLD LACE)

I had a different actor for SUDDENLY, from the same unidentified movie as the one cited above.

63. SHINE ON HARVEST MOON = Shine (???) + Moon (Kevin Spacey ??)

The second half of this one is a different movie.

79. SPAWN OF THE NORTH = Spawn (Martin Sheen ??? ) + North (Elijah Wood, 67. RADIO FLYER)

There’s a different actor from SPAWN.

franktangredi

#102 Post by franktangredi » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:44 pm

franktangredi wrote:
mellytu74 wrote:
franktangredi wrote:Since there are legit alternates, do you want me to identify the matches that weren't what I had in mind?
Oh, sure. I am having too much fun with this but I still want to know what they are. We will go over 44 legit matches, I suspect.

We can switch Amy Adams to Julie and Julia, which is what I suspect her full title was supposed to be (upon further review)
I think you left JULIE AND JULIA out of the consolidation, but the actor I had in mind wasn't Vanessa Regrave. (Silly oversight on my part.)

23. TWENTY THOUSAND YEARS IN SING SING = Sing (Lorraine Bracco 27. RIDING IN CARS WITH BOYS) + (Matthew McConaughey 56. THE WOLF OF WALL STREET)

I had Lorraine Bracco here for a different movie, but it doesn’t make a difference in the overall count.

85. CAGED HEAT = Caged (Lee Patrick 17. THE SEVEN FACES OF DR. LAO) + Heat (Robert DeNiro 9. ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA)

41. FORT APACHE: THE BRONX = Fort Apache Henry Fonda (79. SPAWN OF THE NORTH) + ???

I had a different actor for SUDDENLY, from the same unidentified movie as the one cited above.

79. SPAWN OF THE NORTH = Spawn (Martin Sheen ??? ) + North (Elijah Wood, 67. RADIO FLYER)

mellytu74

#103 Post by mellytu74 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:45 pm

69. Otto Preminger’s decision to release this film without a Production Code seal of approval led to the temporary withdrawal of United Artists from the MPAA – and, eventually, to American filmmakers being allowed more freedom to explore taboo topics.
ANATOMY OF A MURDER (THE MOON IS BLUE?

Could this be MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM?

That gives us Frank Sinatra for Suddenly

60. “The Americans are fools. I offered my services, they refused. So did the East. Now they can both pay for their mistake.”
“World domination. The same old dream. Our asylums are full of people who think they're Napoleon. Or God.”
DR. NO (GOLDFINGER?)

This is definitely Dr NO

54. “Is it possible that we got so wasted last night that we bought a lifetime supply of pudding and then totally forgot about it?”
“I'd say it's entirely possible.”

DUDE, Where's My Car?

75. One of the most memorable deaths in any slasher film was the stabbing of a sorority girl with a glass unicorn in this movie.
SCREAM? (2? 3? 4? ETC.?)

This is BLACK CHRISTMAS

mellytu74

#104 Post by mellytu74 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:52 pm

mellytu74 wrote:69. Otto Preminger’s decision to release this film without a Production Code seal of approval led to the temporary withdrawal of United Artists from the MPAA – and, eventually, to American filmmakers being allowed more freedom to explore taboo topics.
ANATOMY OF A MURDER (THE MOON IS BLUE?

Could this be MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM?

That gives us Frank Sinatra for Suddenly

60. “The Americans are fools. I offered my services, they refused. So did the East. Now they can both pay for their mistake.”
“World domination. The same old dream. Our asylums are full of people who think they're Napoleon. Or God.”
DR. NO (GOLDFINGER?)

This is definitely Dr NO

54. “Is it possible that we got so wasted last night that we bought a lifetime supply of pudding and then totally forgot about it?”
“I'd say it's entirely possible.”

DUDE, Where's My Car?

75. One of the most memorable deaths in any slasher film was the stabbing of a sorority girl with a glass unicorn in this movie.
SCREAM? (2? 3? 4? ETC.?)

This is BLACK CHRISTMAS
Man with the Golden Arm ALSO gives us Eleanor Parker for Caged.

mellytu74

#105 Post by mellytu74 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:58 pm

franktangredi wrote:
mellytu74 wrote:

Spawn actor = John Leguizamo who was in Collateral Damage?

Man with the GOlden Arm for the Preminger movie takes care of SUddenly (Sinatra) and Caged (Eleanor Parker).

We can make Amy Adams' match Her (Amy Adams, Julie & JUlia)

silverscreenselect

#106 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:17 am

Partial cheat here.

There was a movie called Naked with David Thewlis and I checked his filmography and he was in The Big Lebowski, so there's another match.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

silverscreenselect

Re: Game #177: MOVIES ONLY

#107 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:21 am

mellytu74 wrote:
24. “He is no driver, he is the undertaker.”
Lookup on the quote. It's from Eastern Promises, which starred Viggo Mortensen, so there's the connection to The Road.

jarnon

#108 Post by jarnon » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:12 am

Here are some more partials that may pan out:

26. FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR = Flight + The Navigator

29. THE GOLD RUSH = Gold + Rush

73. COLLATERAL DAMAGE = Collateral + Damage
mellytu74 wrote:48. SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER = Suddenly Frank Sinatra (MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM)
The other movie could be Last Summer.

And don't forget this one I found yesterday:

51. THE TRUTH ABOUT CATS + DOGS = Truth + Cats & Dogs
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

mellytu74

#109 Post by mellytu74 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:32 am

jarnon wrote:Here are some more partials that may pan out:

26. FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR = Flight + The Navigator

29. THE GOLD RUSH = Gold + Rush

73. COLLATERAL DAMAGE = Collateral + Damage
mellytu74 wrote:48. SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER = Suddenly Frank Sinatra (MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM)
The other movie could be Last Summer.

And don't forget this one I found yesterday:

51. THE TRUTH ABOUT CATS + DOGS = Truth + Cats & Dogs
The Navigator - Buster Keaton (The General)

silverscreenselect

#110 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:36 pm

The FEARLESS Vampire KILLERS

Jeff Bridges (Lebowski) was in Fearless; Ashton Kucher (Dude Where's My Car) was in Killers.

silverscreenselect

#111 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:19 am

Margot Kidder (Black Christmas) was also in the 1970's Sisters, so that's probably the link Frank was going for.

Michael Douglas was in Basic Instinct, so there's the link to Wall Street.

And Basic (Samuel L. Jackson, Jurassic Park) + Instinct (Anthony Hopkins, Legends of the Fall) is another match.

silverscreenselect

#112 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:27 am

Riding in CARS with BOYS

Cars (Paul Newman, Fort Apache the Bronx) + Boys (Winona Ryder, Heathers)

And Johnny Depp (From Hell) was in The Libertine.

GOLD (Matthew McConaughey, Wolf of Wall Street) + RUSH (Jennifer Jason Leigh, Hateful EIght) I think someone already got the Leigh/Rush match.

silverscreenselect

Re: Game #177: MOVIES ONLY

#113 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:40 am

franktangredi wrote:
3. The record for most Oscars won by a foreign language film – four – is held jointly by Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and this earlier Swedish movie.
Fanny and Alexander, which yields Fanny (Leslie Caron/Maurice Chevalier, Gigi) and Alexander (Brad Pitt, Legends)

silverscreenselect

#114 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:21 am

mellytu74 wrote: The Letter has to be here for someone other than Bette Davis, because there are other Davis movies on the list -- Herbert Marshall, Gail Sondergaard
It's for Herbert Marshall, who was in Murder, while Ursula Andress (Dr. No) was in one version of She, making MURDER SHE Said.

And I confused Alexander and Troy in mentioning Brad Pitt. He's not in Alexander, but Anthony Hopkins is, so the match to Legends still works.

The Johnny Depp movie (From Hell) is The Libertine.

mellytu74

#115 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:52 pm

Consolidation coming shortly

mellytu74

#116 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:59 pm

Do we have ANY guesses/ideas what this is???

77. A famous comedian claimed that the hardest acting he ever had to do was trying to look totally inept at boxing in this movie.

mrkelley23

#117 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:08 pm

mellytu74 wrote:Do we have ANY guesses/ideas what this is???

77. A famous comedian claimed that the hardest acting he ever had to do was trying to look totally inept at boxing in this movie.
The comedian's gotta be Bob Hope/Packy East, right?

What movie did he do some inept boxing in?
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

mrkelley23

#118 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:16 pm

Or it could be Mickey Rooney, who played an inept boxer (whom Bob Hope trained) in a 1953 film called Off Limits.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

mellytu74

#119 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:41 pm

I think I have everything with sss's and jarnon's latest additions

Game #177: Now Playing at the Multiplex

Identify the 90 movies in the clues below. (Every other clue is a quotation.) Then, match them into 44 triples and one group of four according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself.

Eighteen movies will be used twice, seven movies will be used three times, two movies will be used four times, and two movies will be used five times. No movie can be matched with itself.

I’ve tried my damnedest to avoid alternate matches, but we all know how that usually turns out.

*1. BIRTH OF A NATION
****2. HANNAH + HER SISTERS
*3. FANNY AND ALEXANDER
*4. THE BIG LEBOWSKI
*5. THE ROSE TATTOO
*6. KING KONG
*7. FLASHDANCE
*8. THE WOMEN
***9. ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA
**10. HIDDEN FIGURES
*11. M BUTTERFLY
*12. PEE WEE'S BIG ADVENTURE
*13. JACK THE BEAR
*14. ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST
**15. COAL MINER'S DAUGHTER
*16. THE WIND + THE LION
**17. THE SEVEN FACES OF DR. LAO
**18. JULIE & JULIA
*19. BABES IN TOYLAND
**20. THE LETTER
*21. FROM HELL IT CAME
**22. BLOW UP
**23. TWENTY THOUSAND YEARS IN SING SING
*24. EASTERN PROMISES
**25. DARLING LILI
**26. FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR
**27. RIDING IN CARS WITH BOYS
*28. NOTES ON A SCANDAL
*29. THE GOLD RUSH
*30. ARSENIC + OLD LACE
**31. MURDER SHE SAID
**32. TOOTSIE
*33. THE FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS
*34. WINGS OF DESIRE
35. SUMMER OF SAM
*36. NAKED GUN 2/12: SMELL OF FEAR
***37. DOWN + OUT IN BEVERLY HILLS
*38. JOE VS. THE VOLCANO
***39. PSYCHO BEACH PARTY
*40. GONE GIRL
***41. FORT APACHE: THE BRONX
*42. SHAMPOO
*43. 10 TO MIDNIGHT
*44. THE BRIDE CAME C.O.D.
*45. VALIANT IS THE WORD FOR CARRIE
***46. LEGENDS OF THE FALL
*47. WILD IN THE COUNTRY
*48. SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
*49. FRIDAY THE 13TH: JASON TAKES MANHATTAN
*50. THEY SHOOT HORSES DON'T THEY
51. THE TRUTH ABOUT CATS + DOGS
*52. SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE
*53. THE COMMITMENTS
*54. DUDE WHERE’S MY CAR
*55. MONA LISA SMILE
*56. THE WOLF OF WALL STREET
*57. THE TOWN THAT DREADED SUNDOWN
**58. THE LOVELY BONES
**59. MANTRAP
*60. DR. NO
*61. THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE
*62. ALADDIN
*63. SHINE ON HARVEST MOON
*64. TRAINSPOTTING
*65. THE PRIVATE LIVES OF ELIZABETH + ESSEX
***66. TOUCH OF EVIL
*67. RADIO FLYER
*68. BASIC INSTINCT
**69. MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM
*70. FENCES
*71. MAGIC IN THE MOONLIGHT
72. STAR TREK III: THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK
73. COLLATERAL DAMAGE
**74. JURASSIC PARK
75. BLACK CHRISTMAS
*76. BOYZ IN THE HOOD
**78. THE HATEFUL EIGHT
*79. SPAWN OF THE NORTH
*80. WOMAN UNDER THE INFLUENCE
*81. THE LIBERTINE
*82. YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN
***83. GIGI
*84. THE ROAD WARRIOR
*85. CAGED HEAT
*86. HEATHERS
87. THE LITTLE WORLD OF DON CAMILLO
*88. BOB & CAROL & TED & ALICE
*89. THE GENERAL
**90. IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT

QUAD
88. BOB & CAROL & TED & ALICE = Cate Blanchett (28. NOTES ON A SCANDAL) + Mark Wahlberg (58. THE LOVELY BONES) + Mia Farrow (2. HANNAH + HER SISTERS)

TRIPLES (need 44)

2. HANNAH + HER SISTERS = Her (Amy Adams 18. JULIE & JULIA) + Sisters ((Margot Kidder 75. BLACK CHRISTMAS))
3. FANNY AND ALEXANDER Fanny (Maurice Chevalier, 83. GIGI) + Alexander ( Anthony Hopkins 46. LEGENDS OF THE FALL)
5. THE ROSE TATTOO = The Rose (Bette Midler 37. DOWN + OUT IN BEVERLY HILLS) + Tattoo (Bruce Dern 78. THE HATEFUL EIGHT)
9. ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA = Once ( Glen Hansard, 53. THE COMMITMENTS) + In America (Samantha Morton, 81. THE LIBERTINE)
11. M BUTTERFLY = M (Peter Lorre 30. ARSENIC + OLD LACE) + Butterfly (Orson Welles 66. TOUCH OF EVIL)
12. PEE WEE'S BIG ADVENTURE = Big (Tom Hanks 38. Joe vs. the Volcano) + Adventure (Clark Gable 90. It Happened One Night)
16. THE WIND + THE LION = The Wind (Lillian Gish 1. BIRTH OF A NATION) + Lion (Dev Patel 52. SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE)
17. THE SEVEN FACES OF DR. LAO = Seven (Brad Pitt 46. LEGENDS OF THE FALL) + Faces (Gena Rowlands 80. Woman Under the Influence)
18. JULIE & JULIA = Julie (Louis Jourdan, 83. GIGI) + Julia (Jane Fonda, 50. THEY SHOOT HORSES DON'T THEY)
21. FROM HELL IT CAME = From Hell (Johnny Depp 81. THE LIBERTINE) + It Clara Bow (59. MANTRAP)
22. BLOW UP = Blow (Johnny Depp81. THE LIBERTINE) + Up ( Ed Asner 41. FORT APACHE: THE BRONX)
25. DARLING LILI = Darling (Julie Christie 42. SHAMPOO) + Lili (Leslie Caron 83. GIGI)
26. FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR = Flight (Denzel Washington, 70. FENCES) + The Navigator (Buster Keaton 89. THE GENERAL)
27. RIDING IN CARS WITH BOYS = Cars (Paul Newman, 41. FORT APACHE: THE BRONX) + Boys (Winona Ryder, 86. HEATHERS)
29. THE GOLD RUSH = Gold (Matthew McConaughey, 56. THE WOLF OF WALL STREET) + Rush (Jennifer Jason Leigh, 78. THE HATEFUL EIGHT)
31. MURDER SHE SAID = Murder (Herbert Marshall 20. THE LETTER) + She (Ursula Andress 60. DR. NO)
33. THE FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS = Fearless (Jeff Bridges 4. THE BIG LEBOWSKI) + Killers (Ashton Kucher 54. DUDE WHERE’S MY CAR)
34. WINGS OF DESIRE = Wings (Clara Bow 59. MANTRAP) + Desire (Marlene Dietrich 66. TOUCH OF EVIL)
36. THE NAKED GUN 21/2: THE SMELL OF FEAR = Naked (David Thwlis 4. THE BIG LEBOWSKI) + Fear (Mark Wahlberg 58. THE LOVELY BONES)
38. JOE VS. THE VOLCANO = Joe (Peter Boyle 82. YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN) + Volcano (Tommy Lee Jones 15. COAL MINER'S DAUGHTER)
39. PSYCHO BEACH PARTY – Psycho (Janet Leigh 66. TOUCH OF EVIL) + BEACH PARTY (Annette 19. BABES IN TOYLAND )
43. 10 TO MIDNIGHT = 10 (Julie Andrews 25. DARLING LILI) + Midnight (Claudette Colbert 90. IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT
45. VALIANT IS THE WORD FOR CARRIE = Valiant (Ewan McGregor 64. TRAINSPOTTING) + Carrie (Sissy Spacek 15. COAL MINER'S DAUGHTER)
47. WILD IN THE COUNTRY = Wild (Laura Dern 74. JURASSIC PARK) + Country (Jessica Lange 32. TOOTSIE)
49. FRIDAY THE 13TH: JASON TAKES MANHATTAN = Friday (Ice Cube 76. BOYZ IN THE HOOD) + Manhattan (Woody Allen 2. HANNAH + HER SISTERS)
55. MONA LISA SMILE = Mona Lisa (Michael Caine 2. HANNAH + HER SISTERS) + Smile (Bruce Dern 78. THE HATEFUL EIGHT)
56. THE WOLF OF WALL STREET = Wolf (Jack Nicholson, 14. ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST) + Wall Street (Michael Douglas, 68. BASIC INSTINCT)
57. THE TOWN THAT DREADED SUNDOWN = The Town – (Ben Affleck 40. GONE GIRL) + (Bruce Cabot 6. KING KONG)
61. THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE = The Postman (Kevin Costner 10. Hidden Figures) + Always (Richard Dreyfus 37. Down + Out in Beverly Hills)
65. THE PRIVATE LIVES OF ELIZABETH + ESSEX = Private Lives (Norma Shearer 8. THE WOMEN) + Elizabeth (Cate Blanchett 28. NOTES ON A SCANDAL)
68. BASIC INSTINCT = Basic (Samuel L. Jackson, 74. JURASSIC PARK) + Instinct (Anthony Hopkins, 46. LEGENDS OF THE FALL)
71. MAGIC IN THE MOONLIGHT = Magic (Anthony Hopkins 46. LEGENDS OF THE FALL) + Moonlight ( Mahershala Ali 10. HIDDEN FIGURES)
79. SPAWN OF THE NORTH = Spawn (John Leguizamo 73. COLLATERAL DAMAGE ) + North (Elijah Wood, 67. RADIO FLYER)
84. THE ROAD WARRIOR + The Road (Viggo Mortensen 24. EASTERN PROMISES) + Warrior (Nick Nolte, 37. DOWN + OUT IN BEVERLY HILLS)
85. CAGED HEAT = Caged (Eleanor Parker 69. MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM) + Heat (Robert DeNiro 9. ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA)

PARTIALS

13. JACK THE BEAR = Jack (Robin Williams, 62. ALADDIN) + The Bear
44. THE BRIDE CAME C.O.D. = The Bride (Jennifer Beals 7. FLASHDANCE) + C.O.D. (??)
48. SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER = Suddenly (Frank Sinatra, 69. MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM) + Last Summer
51. THE TRUTH ABOUT CATS + DOGS = Truth Cate Blanchett (28. NOTES ON A SCANDAL) + Cats & Dogs
73. COLLATERAL DAMAGE = Collateral + Damage (Leslie Caron 83. GIGI)

mellytu74

#120 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:42 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:

ooooh, ooooh -- GREAT guess Mr. K!!

franktangredi

#121 Post by franktangredi » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:31 am

mellytu74 wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:

Maybe I should have made this clue more specific. Let me tell you that the comedian involved was never a boxer, but he was well known for his physical dexterity ... and even better know for his verbal dexterity.

mrkelley23

#122 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:34 am

Completing the first partial: Bart the Bear, who was the bear in The Bear, also was credited as The Bear in 46. Legends of the Fall.

mrkelley23

#123 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:41 am

franktangredi wrote:
mellytu74 wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:

Maybe I should have made this clue more specific. Let me tell you that the comedian involved was never a boxer, but he was well known for his physical dexterity ... and even better know for his verbal dexterity.
That makes me think of Lou Costello. There is a movie where Costello plays an inept boxer -- Abbott and Costello Meet the Invisible Man, which would seem to fit the Tangredi pretty well. No Claude Rains movies jumping out at me immediately, though.

silverscreenselect

#124 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:49 am

Some flat out cheating here.

There was a movie called "O" which was a modern day teen version of Othello, which could be a match for The Bride Came C.O.D. It costarred Julia Styles, who was in Mona Lisa Smile.

And Jamie Foxx was in The Truth about Cats and Dogs, so there's the match to Collateral.
Last edited by silverscreenselect on Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

franktangredi

#125 Post by franktangredi » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:50 am

mrkelley23 wrote:Completing the first partial: Bart the Bear, who was the bear in The Bear, also was credited as The Bear in 46. Legends of the Fall.
I couldn't resist that one!