The 11th Annual Boney Awards--songs #80-61 for 2017

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

The 11th Annual Boney Awards--songs #80-61 for 2017

#1 Post by T_Bone0806 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:52 am

It's that time of year again..when I share my favorite music of the year just passed and you think "sheesh! This guy has no taste...and who the hell are these artists anyway?"

Nevertheless, here's the first installment. This year I thought I'd do things differently, and the feedback on the proposal was unanimous. Instead of overwhelming you with the entire lists of songs and albums, I'm going to spread out the unveiling over the course of four weeks, the songs posted each Sunday, the albums at some point in the middle that I haven't decided yet. This way, hopefully, you'll have more time to explore the music at a less frenetic pace.

A final note: if you find something you really like and might want to purchase (most of these artists are not household names and don't make rock star money, not even close), I buy most of my cd's and downloads from http://www.bandcamp.com, http://www.cdbaby.com, http://www.amazon.com, and from iTunes. Some of these are also available on the artist websites.

OK, then, on with the show. Here's today's countdown installment:

80. ONE FOOT-WALK THE MOON
ALBUM: What If Nothing

We get the countdown started with this lively modern pop entry, which features a memorable keyboard hook.

79. SOMETHING COMPLETELY-CHRIS CHURCH
Album: Limitations Of Source Tape

Nice little Power Pop number, with the requisite ringing guitars,handclaps and smooth backing vocals necessary to
properly pull off this type of music.

78. COLD CUTS-THE 1957 TAIL-FIN FIASCO
Album: Not For Everyone

I was saddened by the passing of Steely Dan's Walter Becker last year, but it is nice to know that their are bands around
that are carrying the torch. In fact, you'd be forgiven, if you don't listen TOO carefully here, to mistake this U.K. band's
tune by for a lost Dan track. Check it out..the singer sounds pretty darn close to Donald Fagen indeed.

No You Tube link available, but here's an audio link:

https://the1957tail-finfiasco.bandcamp. ... /cold-cuts

AND..at least for now, the album is available as a free download!

https://the1957tail-finfiasco.bandcamp. ... r-everyone

77. HOTEL BIBLE-ZERVAS & PEPPER
Album: Wilderland

Think Crosby, Stills & Nash with some America mixed in.

76. IMAGE OF THE BEAST-PROCOL HARUM
Album: Novum

In my mind, one of the most criminally underrated groups ever, they returned in 2017 with a new album that nobody
noticed (or apparently few cared) was out there. Too bad. There was some good music on it, including this one,
which shows that their unique style remains intact.

75. WEST GWILLIMBURY-RON SEXSMITH
Album: The Last Rider

Easygoing 70's style pop. There's a lot of early solo McCartney in this song's melodic makeup, and the banjo adds some nice
flavoring.

74. LONG SHOT-FALLON CUSH
Album: Morning

Solid no-frills rocker from this Australian artist.

73. WHERE COWBOYS RIDE-SARAH DARLING
Album: Dream Country

A sweet, lovely sigh of a song. Don't let the title scare you off if you don't like country music. There's very little "twang"
in this.

72. IN HER RAINCOAT-PLASTICSOUL
Album: Therapy

No surprise that a band named after a phrase that inspired the title of The Beatles' "Rubber Soul" album would sound like the
mid-period Fab Four of that time period. By way of explanation, McCartney uttered the words "plastic soul, man, plastic soul"
after recording the first take of "I'm Down". The term was used, usually in a derogatory way, to describe white singers trying
to sing black rhythm & blues without really capturing the necessary feel of the music. That evolved into the album title "Rubber Soul".

No You Tube link to the STUDIO version, so here's the audio track:

https://plasticsoulmusic.bandcamp.com/t ... r-raincoat

71. CREO QUE VOY a LLORAR-JULIAN LENNON
Album: Single track

This is actually a remake of the song "Saltwater" from his "Help Yourself" album, updated 25 years later the current age.
Very pretty, timely, and yes, addressing the elephant in the room, lots of his dad's influence here musically and lyrically.

70. CASTLE ON THE HILL-ED SHEERAN
ALBUM: ÷

Probably one of the few tunes on my list you may actually know, as it hit the Top Ten. I didn't much care for "Shape Of
You", which went to #1, but this one I did like a lot.

69. COUNT TO TEN-MICHAEL SLAWTER
Album: An Assassination Of Someone You Knew

From North Carolina and propelled by some fine punchy guitar strumming, this is another cool power popper.

68. FOREVER DONE-THE MYLARS
Album: Melody Records

Not that this will mean much to anyone, but the guitarist/vocalist for this band used to be in a group called the Crash Moderns,
who scored a couple of times in one of my past countdowns. The melodic power pop sensibility is still there on the fine album this
track appears on.

67. SO BEGINS THE TASK-STEPHEN STILLS & JUDY COLLINS
Album: Everybody Knows

Stills teams up with the subject of his classic "Suite:Judy Blue Eyes" on an album of duets that includes this nice remake of a
song from his 1972 album "Manassas" album.

66. INNER CITY DREAM-WESLEY FULLER
Album: Inner City Dream

Just last year this Australian gent landed songs at #3 and #13, and here he is again. Ear candy of the best kind.

65. GOODBYE TO ALL CAROUSELS-LISA MYCHOLS
Album: Single track

She's been around for awhile and making good music, but in 2017 she REALLY seemed to hit her stride..at least to my ears anyway.
This is the first of FOUR appearances on this countdown. One if TWO artists on this year's list that appears four times. I'm not sure,
I didn't check, but that may be a record. No one has ever scored 5 songs on my list for a single year, I DO know that. If Lesley
Gore fronted the Go-Go's, it might sound like this...really great, that is...

64. WEST TO EAST-STEVE HACKETT
Album: The Night Siren

Former guitarist for Genesis. Naturally, his former band's sound figures prominently here, but there's also quite a bit of Pink
Floyd on this track.

63.ANYMORE-GOLDFRAPP
Album: Silver Eye

This outfit has had success in the past, both on the sales and dance charts. Naturally, they come up with a tune I like, and it tanks.
Anyway, this has a nice little electronic groove to it. As the folks on American Bandstand used to say, it has a nice beat and you can
dance to it. Or so I assume, I'm not much of a dancer lol.

62. LITTLE BIT-MAVIS STAPLES
Album: If All I Was Was Black

The inimitable vocals of Mavis are laid down over a supremely funky groove of guitar, bass & drums. Just outstanding. Just TRY
and sit still in your seat for this one!

61. LEROY BOY-BILL DeMAIN
Album: Transatlantic Romantic

Remember Todd Rundgren's "We Gotta Get You A Woman"? This is a sequel to that song as the singer attempts to catch up with Leroy's
progress over the years. I don't know if Todd is aware of this song or not, but in my opinion, it's a worthy effort and, of course,
very reminiscent of early 70's Rundgren.

That's it for now. Come back next Sunday, February 25th, for songs #60-41!

And remember, as Casey Kasem used to say, "Keep your feet on the ground, but keep reaching for the cookie jar".

At least, I THINK that's what he used to say....
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

mrkelley23

Re: The 11th Annual Boney Awards--songs #80-61 for 2017

#2 Post by mrkelley23 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:42 pm

I had already downloaded One Foot from Freegal, the free downloading service offered through my public library. Tonight I notice there are two remixes of it available for downloading, as well, in case you're interested in that sort of thing.

So for someone who has nothing against Procol Harum, but has never heard anything outside of Conquistador and Whiter Shade of Pale, what would you suggest? Freegal has at least six of their albums available.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Estonut
Evil Genius

#3 Post by Estonut » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:34 am

mrkelley23 wrote:So for someone who has nothing against Procol Harum, but has never heard anything outside of Conquistador and Whiter Shade of Pale, what would you suggest? Freegal has at least six of their albums available.
I'm in the same boat as you. For a classic band, they are woefully under-represented in my wheelhouse. I just checked AllMusic.COM and found that between the AllMusic Rating and the collected User Ratings, it appears that 1969's "Salty Dog" comes out at the top.

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/procol- ... iscography

I'm ashamed to admit that, until I looked at their bio just now, I did not know that's where Robin Trower came from. When "Bridge of Sighs" came out, I was aware of it, as it was played on the radio a lot, but it just wasn't what my friends and I listened to.

I also noted (in the HUGE list of members) that Dee Murray (Elton John's long-time bassist) put in some time with them, too.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#4 Post by T_Bone0806 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:15 pm

Mr. K and Esto--

As album's go, "A Salty Dog" does indeed seem to be the majority choice as their best. I like it a lot myself. However, I'd have to say that my personal favorite is "Broken Barricades". "Grand Hotel" has a lot going for it as well.

Individual tracks? Mileage may very, of course. Hardcore fans would choke on a few of my omissions, but if I'm putting a personal playlist together of 20 tunes, it would look something like this:

A Whiter Shade Of Pale ("Procol Harum")
She Wandered Through The Garden Fence ("Procol Harum")
Homburg (single...it's on most compilations)
Shine On Brightly ("Shine On Brightly")
Quite Rightly So ("Shine On Brightly")
A Salty Dog ("A Salty Dog")
The Devil Came From Kansas ("A Salty Dog")
Wreck Of The Hesperus ("A Salty Dog")
Whiskey Train ("Home")
Simple Sister ("Broken Barricades")
Broken Barricades ("Broken Barricades")
Luskus Delph ("Broken Barricades")
Power Failure ("Broken Barricades")
Conquistador ("Live w/Edmonton Symphony Orchestra")
Grand Hotel ("Grand Hotel")
Toujour L'amour ("Grand Hotel")
Bringing Home The Bacon ("Grand Hotel")
Nothing But The Truth ("Exotic Birds and Fruit")
Drunk Again (B-side...this one may be a little harder to find..I know it's popped up on a couple of anthologies, do it is available or else I wouldn't have it on my iPod)
Pandora's Box ("Procols' Ninth")

As I said, there are "Fan favorites" not on this list, but these are MY favorites.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Ritterskoop

#5 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:51 pm

So glad we are breaking this up into chunks.

So much of my kind of pop in here! Can't wait.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

mrkelley23

#6 Post by mrkelley23 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:00 pm

T_Bone0806 wrote:Mr. K and Esto--

As album's go, "A Salty Dog" does indeed seem to be the majority choice as their best. I like it a lot myself. However, I'd have to say that my personal favorite is "Broken Barricades". "Grand Hotel" has a lot going for it as well.

Individual tracks? Mileage may very, of course. Hardcore fans would choke on a few of my omissions, but if I'm putting a personal playlist together of 20 tunes, it would look something like this:

Whiskey Train ("Home")
Drunk Again (B-side...this one may be a little harder to find..I know it's popped up on a couple of anthologies, do it is available or else I wouldn't have it on my iPod)

As I said, there are "Fan favorites" not on this list, but these are MY favorites.
Noted and copied. Thank you, sir!
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Estonut
Evil Genius

#7 Post by Estonut » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:16 pm

T_Bone0806 wrote:Mr. K and Esto--

Whiskey Train ("Home")

Thanks! I've got some work to do!
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Ritterskoop

#8 Post by Ritterskoop » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:00 pm

Finally had a chance to go through these.

Observations

I wanted to love the Mavis Staples album but it just didn't fire me up, except for the track you picked and one other.

I thought the lead vocals on the Procol Harum track were by Eric Clapton for a minute.

I saw Stephen Stills as an opening act to someone, probably Boston, maybe 15 years ago. I'm looking forward to seeing what other duet partners he got on that album. You know one of the very best duet albums ever, for me, was Elton John's album from the early 90s. He paired with so many different styles of artists, and on nearly all of them, blended beautifully. Favorites: "The Power" with Little Richard, "Don't Go Breaking My heart" with RuPaul, "Love Letters" with Bonnie Raitt, and "Born to Lose" with Leonard Cohen. Just astounding.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

mrkelley23

#9 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:55 pm

I'm also partial to Sir Elton's album with Leon Russell. But I like just about everything Elton does.

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#10 Post by T_Bone0806 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:02 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:Finally had a chance to go through these.

Observations

I wanted to love the Mavis Staples album but it just didn't fire me up, except for the track you picked and one other.

I thought the lead vocals on the Procol Harum track were by Eric Clapton for a minute.

I saw Stephen Stills as an opening act to someone, probably Boston, maybe 15 years ago. I'm looking forward to seeing what other duet partners he got on that album. You know one of the very best duet albums ever, for me, was Elton John's album from the early 90s. He paired with so many different styles of artists, and on nearly all of them, blended beautifully. Favorites: "The Power" with Little Richard, "Don't Go Breaking My heart" with RuPaul, "Love Letters" with Bonnie Raitt, and "Born to Lose" with Leonard Cohen. Just astounding.

The whole album is Stills and Collins. A bit uneven to my ears, but some good stuff as well. The track here is, to me, the clear highlight.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

kroxquo

#11 Post by kroxquo » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:05 pm

T_Bone0806 wrote:
78. COLD CUTS-THE 1957 TAIL-FIN FIASCO
Album: Not For Everyone

I was saddened by the passing of Steely Dan's Walter Becker last year, but it is nice to know that their are bands around
that are carrying the torch. In fact, you'd be forgiven, if you don't listen TOO carefully here, to mistake this U.K. band's
tune by for a lost Dan track. Check it out..the singer sounds pretty darn close to Donald Fagen indeed.

No You Tube link available, but here's an audio link:

https://the1957tail-finfiasco.bandcamp. ... /cold-cuts

AND..at least for now, the album is available as a free download!

https://the1957tail-finfiasco.bandcamp. ... r-everyone
You are not kidding about the Steely Dan vibe. The piano alone would make me think of it. I LOVE this. Who are these guys?
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#12 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:37 pm

kroxquo wrote:
You are not kidding about the Steely Dan vibe. The piano alone would make me think of it. I LOVE this. Who are these guys?

Believe it or not, they're from the UK. Unsigned, no less. Here is an early interview, although much of it is kinda jokey:

http://www.godisinthetvzine.co.uk/2014/01/23/44044/

Here is one place their music is available:

https://the1957tail-finfiasco.bandcamp.com/
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

kroxquo

#13 Post by kroxquo » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:11 am

I've finally gone through all of these (and blatantly used audacity to pirate them into my library). The only one I didn't care for was Goldfrapp. The synth was grating to me. I was kind of meh on the Steve Hackett, but then judging from the Boney 500, you are much more into Prog Rock than I am. I don't dislike it, but I don't think it would have made a top songs list for me.

I absolutely love the Julian Lennon (had no idea he was still recording), Zervas & Pepper, Sarah Darling, and Lisa Mychols (with whom I now have a crush)

I have to ask - where do you listen to music? It is obviously not commercial radio. I have always been convinced that there is in fact music out there I can tolerate if I just knew where to look for it.
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#14 Post by T_Bone0806 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:54 pm

I totally get the Lisa Mychols crush thing. she is cute as a button. She has quite a few Youtube videos, not just for her recorded stuff, but where she just picks up a gutar and does an acoustic thing, and an occasional interview/chat with both musicians and fans. She's quite talented.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... sa+Mychols

Where do I find this stuff? Mostly from 3 sources: Two Power Pop blogs:

http://absolutepowerpop.blogspot.com/

http://www.powerpopaholic.com/

And then, every Friday I go to the new releases category of Amazon's CD section and browse through the first 20 pages or so and clicking on anything that interests me.

Other than that, I get e-mails from CDBaby.com and Paste Magazine that sometimes have something of interest, and once in a while I'm alerted to something in Entertainment Weekly, although lately they've been getting pretty skimpy with their music coverage, and much of what they DO talk about is in the rap/pop diva genre.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck