SSS Puzzle

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
franktangredi

Re: SSS Puzzle

#26 Post by franktangredi » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:35 am

silverscreenselect wrote:Three of your definite answers are incorrect. Of the answers with a question mark, two are incorrect. Of the ones with multiple answers, one of them does not contain the correct answer among the guesses.
I'm pretty sure this must be one of the incorrect ones.

40. He is widely credited as being the first TV wrestling announcer, and his popularity in that role led to his becoming the host of numerous game shows.
JOE GARAGIOLA?

It seems unlikely one could make a first name out of Garagiola or a last name out of Joe.

franktangredi

#27 Post by franktangredi » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:41 am

30. Nicknamed “The Sweetest Girl in Pictures” in the silent film era, she played W.C. Fields’s daughter in both a silent and a sound film.
MADGE KENNEDY? MARY BRIAN?
This is definitely Mary Brian.

franktangredi

#28 Post by franktangredi » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:49 am

I suspect this is the one that doesn't include the correct answer.

59. This suffragette, a cousin of Emma Lazarus, helped found the National Consumers League, an organization dedicated to improving wages and conditions for retail working women at the turn of the century, and was President of the New York chapter for 20 years; during this same time period, her younger sister was one of the leading anti-suffragettes of the era.
ALICE HAMILTON? CLARA LEMLICH?

franktangredi

#29 Post by franktangredi » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:18 pm

This appears to be one of the definites that's wrong.

16. He got his break in a more gruesome fashion, when his predecessor as lead driver for their team was killed in a race; two years later, he became the youngest World Driver’s Champion in Formula One history at that time.
JACKIE STEWART

Appa23

#30 Post by Appa23 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:14 pm

2 is London Fletcher
16 is Emerson Fittipaldi
56 is Usher Raymond
100 is Parker Posey

franktangredi

#31 Post by franktangredi » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:00 pm

Appa23 wrote:2 is London Fletcher
16 is Emerson Fittipaldi
56 is Usher Raymond
100 is Parker Posey
A little more evidence writers. We can make Jack London, who we can associate with Alaska.

I'm not at all sure.

Pastor Fireball

#32 Post by Pastor Fireball » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:18 pm

franktangredi wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:Three of your definite answers are incorrect. Of the answers with a question mark, two are incorrect. Of the ones with multiple answers, one of them does not contain the correct answer among the guesses.
I'm pretty sure this must be one of the incorrect ones.

40. He is widely credited as being the first TV wrestling announcer, and his popularity in that role led to his becoming the host of numerous game shows.
JOE GARAGIOLA?

It seems unlikely one could make a first name out of Garagiola or a last name out of Joe.
I didn't quite go back far enough into wrestling broadcasting. Turns out that DENNIS JAMES did it first.
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

franktangredi

#33 Post by franktangredi » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:13 pm

I had a hunch that the series involved was Sky King, and it turned out to be right.

24. This former bandleader played in a series of 40’s and 50’s “Mountie” movies in which he was regularly upstaged by his dog, but is best known for playing a modern day Western hero in a popular children’s TV series.
KIRBY GRANT

franktangredi

#34 Post by franktangredi » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:24 pm

41. During his lifetime, this Victorian was best known as a mountaineer who was the first to ascend several peaks in the Alps and wrote a number of popular books and articles about his adventures; he is best remembered today as the son-in-law of a very famous writer and the father of another very famous writer.

I think this is LESLIE STEPHEN, father of Virginia Woolf. If there's someone on here whose first name is King, that's another author who can be associated with a specific state. (I don't see King Vidor or King Gillette, though.)

Raymond Chandler would be another if there's someone whose first name is Chandler. I know we can make Sinclair Lewis and Jack London, and I have a hunch we can make Harper Lee.

But there are still to many "ifs" for me to feel confident about this. And there's still Hawaii keeping me from feeling faith in the Senator idea.

Of course, it could just be a person associated with each state, but that seems like such a wide field.

franktangredi

#35 Post by franktangredi » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:32 pm

Last comment before bedtime.

42. Although many felt that his dramatic role in a recent major film warranted an Oscar nomination, his application to join the Motion Picture Academy in 1995 was rejected because he did not have “enough of the kinds of roles that allow a performer to demonstrate the mastery of his craft.”

I know something like this happened to Rodney Dangerfield, but he's been dead for so long that none of his films could remotely be considered "recent." Is it possible this is a reference to Natural Born Killers and that it was supposed to say "more recent" rather than "recent?"

If this is Rodney Dangerfield, it seems almost inevitable that it would become Caesar Rodney, which confuses the issue even further. There has to be some kind of key to this.

Help.

silverscreenselect

#36 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:49 am

franktangredi wrote:Last comment before bedtime.

42. Although many felt that his dramatic role in a recent major film warranted an Oscar nomination, his application to join the Motion Picture Academy in 1995 was rejected because he did not have “enough of the kinds of roles that allow a performer to demonstrate the mastery of his craft.”

I know something like this happened to Rodney Dangerfield, but he's been dead for so long that none of his films could remotely be considered "recent." Is it possible this is a reference to Natural Born Killers and that it was supposed to say "more recent" rather than "recent?"

If this is Rodney Dangerfield, it seems almost inevitable that it would become Caesar Rodney, which confuses the issue even further. There has to be some kind of key to this.

Help.
The "recent" in this clue was intended as a reference to recently before the 1995 application.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

silverscreenselect

#37 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:55 am

franktangredi wrote: Help.
You may be overthinking this.

A Non E. Muss

#38 Post by A Non E. Muss » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:55 am

75. Nicknamed “The Spider,” this fighter’s legacy has been tarnished recently by failed drug tests.

I believe this is ANDERSON SILVA.

Pastor Fireball

#39 Post by Pastor Fireball » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:22 am

10. In 1972, this former music professor met Bonnie Nettles, who became his lifelong partner and helped him develop much of his religious philosophy.

That name was vaguely familiar, so I had to sleep on this one for a couple of days while I was sick and on meds. Her name was mentioned in passing in the news in 1997 as the co-founder of the Heaven's Gate cult with MARSHALL APPLEWHITE. (Bonnie had already been dead for a decade when those nutbags committed mass suicide.)

27. Despite his starring role on a popular TV series, he attended classes at Etowah High School in Woodstock, GA, graduating with honors last spring.

CHANDLER RIGGS from "The Walking Dead"
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

franktangredi

#40 Post by franktangredi » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:06 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
franktangredi wrote: Help.
You may be overthinking this.
Yes, I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter whether they were a Senator, a writer, or whatever. It's just a person associated with every state. I'll work up a consolidation that effect.

franktangredi

#41 Post by franktangredi » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:07 am

Pastor Fireball wrote: 27. Despite his starring role on a popular TV series, he attended classes at Etowah High School in Woodstock, GA, graduating with honors last spring.

CHANDLER RIGGS from "The Walking Dead"
I knew it! I knew there was going to be a Chandler somewhere!

franktangredi

#42 Post by franktangredi » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:46 am

Updated consolidation. I know some of th matches are probably wrong. And there are other people one can make - such as playwright Maxwell Anderson - who aren't clearly associated with a state. But it's a start.

Alabama: 99 + ??? = Harper Lee
Alaska: 43 + 2 = Jack London
Arizona:
Arkansas:
California: 56 + 27 = Raymond Chandler
Colorado:
Connecticut:
Delaware: 68 + 42 = Caesar Rodney
Florida:
Georgia:
Hawaii:
Idaho:
Illinois: ??? + 85 = Paul Simon
Indiana:
Iowa:
Kansas: 21 + 86 = Charles Curtis
Kentucky:
Louisiana:
Maine: 41 + ??? = Stephen King
Maryland:
Massachusetts: 20 + 1 = William Bradford
Michigan:
Minnesota: 54 + 91 = Sinclair Lewis
Mississippi:
Missouri: 83 + 14 = Harry Truman
Montana:
Nebraska:
Nevada:
New Hampshire: 5 + 47 = Judd Gregg
New Jersey:
New Mexico:
New York: ??? + 96 = Thomas Dewey
North Carolina:
North Dakota: 95 + 25 = Kent Conrad
Ohio:
Oklahoma:
Oregon:
Pennsylvania:
Rhode Island:
South Carolina: 33 + 89 = Lindsey Graham
South Dakota:
Tennessee: 77 + 3 = Howard Baker
Texas: 4 + 48 = Nolan Ryan
Utah:
Vermont:
Virginia: 40 + 11 = James Madison
Washington:
West Virginia: 29 + ??? = Jennings Randolph
Wisconsin: 44 + 10 = Penny Marshall
Wyoming:

* 1. BRADFORD DILLMAN
*2. LONDON FLETCHER
*3. BAKER MAYFIELD
*4. CHRISTOPHER NOLAN
*5. ASHLEY JUDD
6. BLIND LEMON JEFFERSON
7. DEAN ACHESON
8. CLAY CARROLL
9. ALLEN DRURY
*10. MARSHALL APPLEWHITE
*11. MADISON KEYS
12. RONALD WAYNE
13. GILBERT STUART
*14. TRUMAN CAPOTE
15. HANK AARON
16. EMERSON FITTIPALDI

17. In one of his more acclaimed films, this Danish director’s wife played the mother of a better known Swedish director.

18. MURRAY HAMILTON

19. Her final best-selling book begins with a chapter called “A Fable for Tomorrow,” a parable about the effects of the dangers warned about in the book.
RACHEL CARSON

* 20. WARREN WILLIAM
*21. RAY CHARLES
22. MARILYN MAXWELL
23. MICHELLE TRIOLA MARVIN
24. KIRBY GRANT
*25. CONRAD HILTON
26. CARTER HARRISON
*27. CHANDLER RIGGS
28. COOPER MANNING
*29. WAYLON JENNINGS
30. MARY BRIAN
31ALEXANDER POPE
32. GEORGE WILL
*33. HAL LINDSEY
34. CAMPBELL BROWN
35. SEYMOUR CRAY

36. This scientist, who described himself as “100% Democrat,” is perhaps the most prominent scientific opponent of the Paris Climate Accords and has stated that the environmental movement had been “hijacked by a bunch of climate fanatics.”

37. Her first marriage at age 16 to a well-known painter three decades her senior lasted less than a year but led to her meeting and later posing for a number of her husband’s artist friends, including photographer Julia Cameron, who took a famous photograph of her on her honeymoon at the home of Alfred, Lord Tennyson.

38. He used the alias A.J. Hidell on occasion, although a number of people believe Hidell was actually a real person.

39. KEITH DAVID
*40. DENNIS JAMES
*41. LESLIE STEPHEN
*42. RODNEY DANGERFIELD
*43. JARRETT JACK
*44. JOE PENNY

45. A mountain range in Utah was named in honor of this scientist in 1872, the last range to be added to the map of the contiguous United States.

46. TONY BILL

*47. GREGG ALLMAN
*48. RYAN REYNOLDS

49. Although a non-gambler himself, this former Representative was probably the leading Congressional proponent of legalizing online gambling while he was in office; in fact, a number of the country’s most prominent poker players held fundraisers for him.

50. BRYAN SINGER

51. “And Sudden Death,” an article he published in his magazine in 1935, was one of the first to describe the aftermath of auto accidents in (for the time) rather graphic fashion and is credited with first raising public consciousness about auto safety issues.

52. EDDIE FLOYD

53. Before becoming an actor, he was the lead guitarist for the Blinking Underdogs, which experience may have been helpful for his role in a Coen Brothers film.

*54. MADGE SINCLAIR
55. JACKSON BROWNE
*56. USHER RAYMOND

57. He was the oldest player to win a PGA tournament since the advent of the Senior PGA Tour (now PGA Champions Tour).

58. This painter, who was loosely associated with the Harlem Renaissance, is best known for a series of twelve paintings commemorating the exploits of John Henry, which are on permanent display at the Museum of African American Art in Los Angeles.

59. This suffragette, a cousin of Emma Lazarus, helped found the National Consumers League, an organization dedicated to improving wages and conditions for retail working women at the turn of the century, and was President of the New York chapter for 20 years; during this same time period, her younger sister was one of the leading anti-suffragettes of the era.

60. This white Pittsburgh businessman is best remembered today for a historically black university in Charlotte, NC, that bears his name.

61. He won an Emmy for playing a politician and a second Emmy for playing a crossdresser (no, they weren’t the same character).

62. Knowing this politician’s most infamous quote won me $32,000 on a certain game show.

63. This actor is best known for his role on The Wire, but has been seen recently in series on BET and VH1, as well as a guest-starring stint on Justified with his better known younger brother as a pair of Shakespeare-quoting goons.

64. BENJAMIN DISRAELI

65. On St. Patrick’s Day, 1955, hometown fans of this hockey player started a major riot in a shopping district near the arena, resulting in three dozen injuries and over 60 arrests, following the announcement of his suspension for the remainder of the season as a result of a fight in an earlier game.

66. Although authors are only eligible to win the Prix Goncourte once, he won it a second time under a pseudonym and had a relative pose as the author; the subterfuge was not discovered until the publication of his posthumous memoir on the matter.

67. JERRY RUBIN
*68. JULIUS CAESAR

69. This member of the Adult Video News Hall of Fame made news of a different sort in 2015 when TMZ aired film of her passed out on the sidewalk on the Las Vegas Strip; she later claimed she had been roofied.

70. He hosted the first television news broadcast in 1939 and, a year later, anchored the first live TV coverage of the Republican Nation Convention in Philadelphia, even though he was in a New York studio at the time.

71. MARTIN LUTHER

72. On the subject of dropouts, he dropped out of Baylor, where he was a member of a secret society called the NoZe Brotherhood, but was then admitted to Duke Medical School where he graduated and was subsequently licensed to practice medicine.

73. His books were subsequently made into movies starring Glenn Ford, Burt Lancaster, Paul Newman, Roy Scheider, and Randolph Scott.

74. This 19th century artist was renowned for her popular paintings of flowers, which illustrated books of poetry, the best known of which was commonly called The Wild Flowers of America.

75. ANDERSON SILVA
76. NEWTON MINOW
*77. DWIGHT HOWARD
78. SCOTT GLENN

79. This actress is best known for her role as the stepmother and high school principal of the title character on a popular sitcom and later appeared as the mother of the title character on another sitcom and the mistress of the title character’s father on a show that was far from a sitcom. Got that?

80. One of the minor characters in Gone with the Wind is named after this real life Confederate general who became a significant political figure after the Civil War.
NATHAN BEDFORD FORREST?

81. JOYCE MAYNARD
82. EDWIN MOSES
*83. DEBBIE HARRY
84. DICK SHAWN
*85. SIMON WARD
*86. CURTIS LeMAY

87. In 1974, Philip K. Dick sent a letter to the FBI claiming that this foreign science fiction writer was actually a Communist committee created to foment Communist propaganda in the guise of science fiction; ironically, although this writer had previously been publicly critical of American science fiction in general, he specifically exempted Dick’s work from criticism, hailing Dick as a visionary.

88. LARRY CRAIG
*89. GRAHAM NASH
90. KELLY PRESTON
*91. LEWIS POWELL

92. This Nixon cabinet member from Maryland often joked that his middle initials stood for “Chesapeake Bay.”

93. FORREST TUCKER

94. This British scientist is best remembered for a spherical bomb/torpedo he developed in World War II, the successful use of which against a seemingly indestructible German target was dramatized in a 1955 movie in which he was portrayed by Michael Redgrave.

*95. JEFF KENT
*96. DEWEY BALFA

97. The only movie this actor ever directed featured the first nude scene by a mainstream star in a U.S. movie since the adoption of the Production Code; somewhat fittingly, bodies featured rather prominently in his best-known film role as well.
98. In 1998, only a few months before his death, he and his law partner agreed to forfeit $5 million in company stock to settle charges stemming from their involvement in the B.C.C.I. scandal.

*99. JESSICA HARPER
100. PARKER POSEY

franktangredi

#43 Post by franktangredi » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:49 am

Partial cheat here. I knew there had to be someone whose last name was Gary.

66. Although authors are only eligible to win the Prix Goncourte once, he won it a second time under a pseudonym and had a relative pose as the author; the subterfuge was not discovered until the publication of his posthumous memoir on the matter.
ROMAIN GARY

Montana: 66 + 28 = Gary Cooper

silverscreenselect

#44 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:14 am

I had hoped that I could keep the Tangredi secret a bit longer, but people on this Bored are on to my tricks. I do want to thank Frank and the Pastor for providing some of the inspiration for this puzzle. It frankly would have been too difficult to limit myself just to authors or senators or something similar since (A) there aren't authors immediately associated with every state, and (b) it would have required, if at all possible, too many extremely obscure people as clues.

The puzzle was designed to lend itself to red herring and blind alley matchups, so there is some re-arranging you will need to do to make it work out.

As for the clues, two of your definite answers are still wrong, and your question mark answer is wrong. And there is a bit of a tweak still needed for some of the matchups.

franktangredi

#45 Post by franktangredi » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:48 am

New Jersey: 67 + 26 = Rubin Carter

Pastor Fireball

#46 Post by Pastor Fireball » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:04 am

38. He used the alias A.J. Hidell on occasion, although a number of people believe Hidell was actually a real person.

LEE HARVEY OSWALD, which completes the Harper Lee match that Frank found a long time ago.

61. He won an Emmy for playing a politician and a second Emmy for playing a crossdresser (no, they weren’t the same character).

BRADLEY WHITFORD ("The West Wing" and "Transparent")

63. This actor is best known for his role on The Wire, but has been seen recently in series on BET and VH1, as well as a guest-starring stint on Justified with his better known younger brother as a pair of Shakespeare-quoting goons.

WOOD HARRIS (AKA Avon Barksdale)

silverscreenselect

#47 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:06 am

franktangredi wrote: And there are other people one can make - such as playwright Maxwell Anderson - who aren't clearly associated with a state.
Giant Homer Simpson moment here. Maxwell Anderson isn't associated with a state but Sherwood Anderson is definitely associated with Ohio, and that's who I intended to use before somehow fixing on the name Maxwell.

So the "Maxwell" in the puzzle would have been a "Sherwood" if I hadn't screwed up and goes with Anderson for the Ohio match.

Duh!

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#48 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:25 am

I wonder if 77 should go with 7 and not 3 to get HOWARD DEAN for Vermont? There's a lot more possibilities for Tennessee...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

franktangredi

#49 Post by franktangredi » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:06 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:I wonder if 77 should go with 7 and not 3 to get HOWARD DEAN for Vermont? There's a lot more possibilities for Tennessee...

lb13
I was wondering that myself. You're probably right - unless, of course, there's someone with the last name Ethan who can combine with Allen Drury to make Ethan Allen.

Meanwhile, a complete and a possible partial:

Iowa: 24 + 63 = Grant Wood
Kentucky: ??? + 8 = Henry Clay

franktangredi

#50 Post by franktangredi » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:13 pm

92. This Nixon cabinet member from Maryland often joked that his middle initials stood for “Chesapeake Bay.”
ROGERS MORTON

And that gives us:

Oklahoma: 32 + 92 = Will Rogers