House Speaker Ryan won't run for re-election

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
ghostjmf

House Speaker Ryan won't run for re-election

#1 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:36 am

per NPR, WBUR FM, Boston, citing "source close to Ryan"

He's not resigning Speakership & will serve out term, says source.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: House Speaker Ryan won't run for re-election

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:35 am

Score one for the Iron Stache. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

elwoodblues

#3 Post by elwoodblues » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:43 pm

There was going to be a new Speaker next year anyway because there will be a Democratic majority in the House.

Bob Juch

#4 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:11 pm

Rats and ships come to mind.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Pastor Fireball

#5 Post by Pastor Fireball » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:12 pm

Ryan went with the classic political excuse of "I want to spend more time with my family"... though, in his case, I actually believe that he wants to spend more time with his family because he won't be seeing his family after he's convicted of conspiracy to commit treason.

By the way, his district is R+5, which makes it another potential Democratic pickup.
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

flockofseagulls104

#6 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:56 am

Ryan went with the classic political excuse of "I want to spend more time with my family"... though, in his case, I actually believe that he wants to spend more time with his family because he won't be seeing his family after he's convicted of conspiracy to commit treason.
I hope your straight-jacket is not too tight.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Estonut
Evil Genius

#7 Post by Estonut » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:54 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote:I hope your straight-jacket is not too tight.
The word is straitjacket or strait-jacket, but never has the "gh." The name comes from the word "strait," because they're narrow and tight.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

flockofseagulls104

#8 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:30 am

Estonut wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote:I hope your straight-jacket is not too tight.
The word is straitjacket or strait-jacket, but never has the "gh." The name comes from the word "strait," because they're narrow and tight.
Thanks. I don't use that word very often, so I improvised. But I don't like spelling things wrong...
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton