Zuckerberg testimony

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Beebs52
Queen of Wack

Zuckerberg testimony

#1 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:45 pm

Interesting info brought up by Sen Blumenthal-app entity that sold info to Cambridge Analytica had a signed terms of service from FB, clearly stating they may sell, disseminate, etc, personal data, a violation of stuff...
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: Zuckerberg testimony

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:49 pm

Beebs52 wrote:Interesting info brought up by Sen Blumenthal-app entity that sold info to Cambridge Analytica had a signed terms of service from FB, clearly stating they may sell, disseminate, etc, personal data, a violation of stuff...
I haven't seen the testimony, but my understanding from prior news reports was that Cambridge Analytica violated its contract with Facebook by using the information in the way that it did. Is my understanding mistaken? --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#3 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:02 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:Interesting info brought up by Sen Blumenthal-app entity that sold info to Cambridge Analytica had a signed terms of service from FB, clearly stating they may sell, disseminate, etc, personal data, a violation of stuff...
I haven't seen the testimony, but my understanding from prior news reports was that Cambridge Analytica violated its contract with Facebook by using the information in the way that it did. Is my understanding mistaken? --Bob
That may be true, too. But the app that sold it to them had terms with fb.
Well, then

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#4 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:02 pm

He showed the terms highlighted.
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#5 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:08 pm

Beebs52 wrote:He showed the terms highlighted.
It's starting to come back to me a little. Didn't Facebook's contract with the selling app limit the right to disseminate to research (as opposed to marketing) uses? Or something like that?

In other words, Facebook clearly didn't have a strong enough legal lock on its data -- that's clear. But even if the lock is weak, smashing it still constitutes breaking and entering. So I'm curious to know whether Cambridge Analytica violated one or more contracts when it did what it did. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#6 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:13 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
It's starting to come back to me a little. Didn't Facebook's contract with the selling app limit the right to disseminate to research (as opposed to marketing) uses? Or something like that?

In other words, Facebook clearly didn't have a strong enough legal lock on its data -- that's clear. But even if the lock is weak, smashing it still constitutes breaking and entering. So I'm curious to know whether Cambridge Analytica violated one or more contracts when it did what it did. --Bob
Accdg to testimony which he dint dispute nothing brought up about locking anything.
Well, then

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#7 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:18 pm

I think a lot of followup will be provided on lotsa stuff. My team will get back...
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#8 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:35 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

Accdg to testimony which he dint dispute nothing brought up about locking anything.
Contractually, not technically. My understanding is that Facebook put contractual limits on how data it provided could be disseminated. --Bob

Spock

#9 Post by Spock » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:00 pm

It is fun to see everybody once again, view the 2016 election through their lens and not the ones that mattered.

Trump didn't win Wisconsin because Cambridge Analytics helped him win a few truck drivers. He won Wisconsin because the smartest woman in the world took it completely for granted and didn't go there for 6 months.

I have to chuckle about a couple of things:

1) As Iowahawk says: "I am old enough to remember when everybody gave the Obama team warm tonguebaths for their Facebook data analytics"

2) Looking back to October 2016; all we heard about how the Trump Campaign was just winging everything with no organization. Was that just mis-direction and were we really seeing a masterful plan in action?

Cambridge Analytics can't analyze something that doesn't exist and I submit that the demographic that put Trump over the top is the demographic that is least present on social media.

ghostjmf

#10 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:40 am

Obama's data people asked pretty-please, & got permissions, according to whatever the laws were at the time.

When I have time I'll look it up for you. I've heard one interviewed on the radio recently so that may be my ref.

silverscreenselect

#11 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:55 am

Spock wrote:Trump didn't win Wisconsin because Cambridge Analytics helped him win a few truck drivers. He won Wisconsin because the smartest woman in the world took it completely for granted and didn't go there for 6 months.

Cambridge Analytics can't analyze something that doesn't exist and I submit that the demographic that put Trump over the top is the demographic that is least present on social media.
Funny you should mention that.
President Donald Trump’s attacks on the mainstream media may be rooted in statistical reality: An extensive review of subscription data and election results shows that Trump outperformed the previous Republican nominee, Mitt Romney, in counties with the lowest numbers of news subscribers, but didn't do nearly as well in areas with heavier circulation.

POLITICO’s findings — which put Trump’s escalating attacks on the media in a new context — were drawn from a comparison of election results and subscription information from the Alliance for Audited Media, an industry group that verifies print and digital circulation for advertisers. The findings cover more than 1,000 mainstream news publications in more than 2,900 counties out of 3,100 nationwide from every state except Alaska, which does not hold elections at the county level.

The results show a clear correlation between low subscription rates and Trump’s success in the 2016 election, both against Hillary Clinton and when compared to Romney in 2012. Those links were statistically significant even when accounting for other factors that likely influenced voter choices, such as college education and employment, suggesting that the decline of local media sources by itself may have played a role in the election results.

That gives new force to the widely voiced concerns of news-industry professionals and academicians about Trump’s ability to make bold assertions about crime rates, unemployment and other verifiable facts without any independent checks. Those concerns, which initially were raised during the campaign, were largely based on anecdotes and observations. POLITICO’s analysis suggests that Trump did, indeed, do worse overall in places where independent media could check his claims.

To many news professionals and academics who’ve studied the flow of political information, there’s no doubt that a lack of trusted local media created a void that was filled by social media and partisan national outlets. “Without having the newspaper as kind of ‘true north’ to point you to issues, you are left to look for other sources,” said Penny Abernathy, a University of North Carolina professor who has closely studied the decline of local media. “And because of the dramatic rise in social media, that ends up being your Facebook friends.”
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/04/ ... ers-505605

Spock's truck driver comment ignores data like this which suggests that the areas where Trump improved over Romney the most were areas in which traditional media had the lowest penetration. That means that even though they may have a lower social media presence than in other parts of the country, more people are likely to rely on social media postings as the sole or a primary source of news without traditional fact checks to balance that out.

Yes, Hillary made a lot of mistakes in the campaign, but there were a variety of factors that contributed to her defeat.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Vandal
Director of Promos

#12 Post by Vandal » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:50 am

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Bob Juch

#13 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:05 am

This whole thing doesn't bother me. Ever since I first went online in the 80s, I've had the rule, "Never put anything online that you don't want everyone to know."
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

ghostjmf

#14 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:56 am

I don't do any kind of banking online. Nor anything involving my Soc Sec #. Obviously, other entities have put my stuff online. And their security is for shirt.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#15 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:59 am

Bob Juch wrote:This whole thing doesn't bother me. Ever since I first went online in the 80s, I've had the rule, "Never put anything online that you don't want everyone to know."
True. However, someone, who may never have been online, but is in someone's contact list, may have been compromised. It's not unreasonable to question that. I realize if you,re on a smartphone you're "online" in some way, but that really isn't right. I do realize that stuff is floating out there forever blahblah.
Well, then

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#16 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:45 pm

I would be interested in the algorithms, people's decisions to ban certain sites like Diamond and Silk, or political sites, and then reinstate some and why. He apologized for some but didn't answer the how/why.

Not talking bout obvious terrorist/hate stuff.
Well, then

Bob Juch

#17 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:50 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:This whole thing doesn't bother me. Ever since I first went online in the 80s, I've had the rule, "Never put anything online that you don't want everyone to know."
True. However, someone, who may never have been online, but is in someone's contact list, may have been compromised. It's not unreasonable to question that. I realize if you,re on a smartphone you're "online" in some way, but that really isn't right. I do realize that stuff is floating out there forever blahblah.
If you've never been online, why would you be on someone's contact list?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#18 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:55 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
If you've never been online, why would you be on someone's contact list?
Phone contacts? That's what is asked to be synced.
Well, then

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#19 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:03 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:If you've never been online, why would you be on someone's contact list?
Phone contacts? That's what is asked to be synced.

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#20 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:05 pm

Beast, the hub repeatedly says the phone is for calls...he's so not into texts and all. And obviously not fb!
Well, then

BackInTex

#21 Post by BackInTex » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:13 pm

Beebs52 wrote:I would be interested in the algorithms, people's decisions to ban certain sites like Diamond and Silk, or political sites, and then reinstate some and why. He apologized for some but didn't answer the how/why.

Not talking bout obvious terrorist/hate stuff.
Diamond and Silk don't fit the narrative that minorities, especially blacks, need and want the government (i.e. Democratic Party) to take care of them. They are dangerous because they just might get some minorities to think for themselves, politically.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson