Another music recommendation

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
mrkelley23

Another music recommendation

#1 Post by mrkelley23 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:27 pm

This time for any Elton John fans out there.

I was just made aware last week of the release of two albums of remakes of Sir Elton's songs. The first, "ReVamp," is more poppy, and the second, "Restoration," is quasi-country.

I love both of them. My favorite tracks so far are the two (two?!) versions of Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters, one by The Killers and the other by Maren Morris; I Want Love by Chris Stapleton; and Roy Rogers, by Kacey Musgraves. I have a feeling if I play it much more, I will be very partial to Willie Nelson's version of Border Song.

Oh, and Mumford and Sons do a nice version of Someone Saved My Life Tonight.

Call it a double tribute album.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

BackInTex

Re: Another music recommendation

#2 Post by BackInTex » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:39 pm

Intriguing

Just went and looked at them on Amazon. I'm disappointed that Friends was not re-made. That is one of my favorite EJ/BT songs, along with Mona Lisa and Mad Hatters. Friends doesn't seem show up on any of his hits collections. There must be some royalty issue involved.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Estonut
Evil Genius

#3 Post by Estonut » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:55 am

mrkelley23 wrote:This time for any Elton John fans out there.

I was just made aware last week of the release of two albums of remakes of Sir Elton's songs. The first, "ReVamp," is more poppy, and the second, "Restoration," is quasi-country.

I love both of them. My favorite tracks so far are the two (two?!) versions of Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters, one by The Killers and the other by Maren Morris; I Want Love by Chris Stapleton; and Roy Rogers, by Kacey Musgraves. I have a feeling if I play it much more, I will be very partial to Willie Nelson's version of Border Song.

Oh, and Mumford and Sons do a nice version of Someone Saved My Life Tonight.

Call it a double tribute album.
I just got these this week, too. My only complaint is that they're not exactly a matched set when one comes in a jewel box and the other one in a digipak.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#4 Post by T_Bone0806 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:07 am

I found myself liking the "country" disc much better than the "pop" disc. But I suppose that shouldn't surprise me when the pop disc has people like Alessia Cara, Q-Tip, and Mary J. Blige...and I grew tired of Sam Smith's voice pretty quickly after his emergence on the music scene. While I have grown to respect Lady Gaga more recently, I am not enamored with her version of "Your Song" here. I have to admit I wasn't even fond of Mumford and Sons on this one...and I normally like them. I do like The Killers and Coldplay tracks, along with couple others

Chris Stapleton, Kacey Musgrave, Brothers Osborne, Miranda Lambert (I have really been into "Tumbleweed Connection" lately and she does a nice version of "My Father's Gun"), Little Big Town, and Good Ol' Willie...all make very nice contributions. I think my favorite of the whole bunch, at least on first pass, may be Don Henley and Vince Gill's take on "Sacrifice".

(Dis)honorable mention goes to Miley Cyrus, who "favors" us with a song on EACH disc, both of which, in my opinion...hmmm, how do I put this delicately...stink like 5-day old diapers. "The Bitch Is Back" may go with her "rebel" persona, but she ain't got the chops to match, and "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me" is WAAAAY too big for her..it's almost laughable listening to her try to convey the drama and emotion..it's like a Junior High School Drama Club trying to do Shakespeare. I've heard better versions on "American Idol".
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck