Robinson Cano suspended 80 games for PEDs

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Vandal
Director of Promos

Robinson Cano suspended 80 games for PEDs

#1 Post by Vandal » Tue May 15, 2018 1:05 pm

All-Star second baseman Robinson Cano of the Seattle Mariners was suspended 80 games without pay by Major League Baseball after testing positive for a banned substance, it was announced Tuesday.

Cano tested positive for the diuretic Furosemide, which violates the MLB's drug prevention and treatment program. He said he would accept the suspension, which begins immediately.

"Recently I learned that I tested positive for a substance called Furosemide, which is not a performance enhancing substance," Cano said in a statement released by the MLB Players Association. "... For more than 15 years, playing professional baseball has been the greatest honor and privilege of my life. I would never do anything to cheat the rules of the game that I love, and after undergoing dozens of drug tests over more than a decade, I have never tested positive for a performance enhancing substance for the simple reason that I have never taken one."
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2351 ... -agreement
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Bob Juch

Re: Robinson Cano suspended 80 games for PEDs

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Tue May 15, 2018 1:52 pm

Vandal wrote:
All-Star second baseman Robinson Cano of the Seattle Mariners was suspended 80 games without pay by Major League Baseball after testing positive for a banned substance, it was announced Tuesday.

Cano tested positive for the diuretic Furosemide, which violates the MLB's drug prevention and treatment program. He said he would accept the suspension, which begins immediately.

"Recently I learned that I tested positive for a substance called Furosemide, which is not a performance enhancing substance," Cano said in a statement released by the MLB Players Association. "... For more than 15 years, playing professional baseball has been the greatest honor and privilege of my life. I would never do anything to cheat the rules of the game that I love, and after undergoing dozens of drug tests over more than a decade, I have never tested positive for a performance enhancing substance for the simple reason that I have never taken one."
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2351 ... -agreement
They must think he's a horse. Furosemide is the same thing as Lasix which in many states is banned from being given to horses; it helps prevent bleeding in their lungs which can result in a faster run. I took it when I had afib to reduce edema.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue May 15, 2018 2:23 pm

Bob Juch wrote: I took it when I had afib to reduce edema.
It's a good thing you're not playing major league baseball, or you'd have a lengthy vacation right now.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#4 Post by Bob78164 » Tue May 15, 2018 4:29 pm

I'm starting to think that MLBPA gave too much ground on drug policy. Canó is correct that his substance is not a PED. It's banned because it can be used to mask PED use. Given that it's not itself a PED and that he's had gazillions of negative drug tests in the past, I'm thinking that someone in that position (some number of prior negative tests, no positive tests, and a substance that's banned only because it can mask PEDs, not because it is itself a PED) doesn't deserve an 80-game suspension and a postseason ban. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

mrkelley23

#5 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue May 15, 2018 6:29 pm

Bob78164 wrote:I'm starting to think that MLBPA gave too much ground on drug policy. Canó is correct that his substance is not a PED. It's banned because it can be used to mask PED use. Given that it's not itself a PED and that he's had gazillions of negative drug tests in the past, I'm thinking that someone in that position (some number of prior negative tests, no positive tests, and a substance that's banned only because it can mask PEDs, not because it is itself a PED) doesn't deserve an 80-game suspension and a postseason ban. --Bob
If Cano is telling the absolute, God's honest truth, he should sue the doctor that prescribed him the drug for malpractice. Does he seriously intend for people to believe that he "innocently" took a drug on the proscribed list? The list is not private, it's not secret, and it hasn't changed all that much in the last five years. MLB players, coaches, AND medical personnel receive annual training on how to avoid drugs on the list.

Cano may not have taken a PED, but he sure fits the profile: an aging player well past the halfway point of his career, beset by injuries and trying to stay in the game he loves as long as he can. I'll believe him when he explains the circumstances why he would need a diuretic, who prescribed it and where, and why neither of them realized it was on the banned list.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#6 Post by Bob78164 » Tue May 15, 2018 6:37 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:I'm starting to think that MLBPA gave too much ground on drug policy. Canó is correct that his substance is not a PED. It's banned because it can be used to mask PED use. Given that it's not itself a PED and that he's had gazillions of negative drug tests in the past, I'm thinking that someone in that position (some number of prior negative tests, no positive tests, and a substance that's banned only because it can mask PEDs, not because it is itself a PED) doesn't deserve an 80-game suspension and a postseason ban. --Bob
If Cano is telling the absolute, God's honest truth, he should sue the doctor that prescribed him the drug for malpractice. Does he seriously intend for people to believe that he "innocently" took a drug on the proscribed list? The list is not private, it's not secret, and it hasn't changed all that much in the last five years. MLB players, coaches, AND medical personnel receive annual training on how to avoid drugs on the list.

Cano may not have taken a PED, but he sure fits the profile: an aging player well past the halfway point of his career, beset by injuries and trying to stay in the game he loves as long as he can. I'll believe him when he explains the circumstances why he would need a diuretic, who prescribed it and where, and why neither of them realized it was on the banned list.
It looks like the rules are already what I think they should be. The use of a diuretic does not lead to an automatic suspension unless MLB is able to prove that the player intended to use it as a masking agent. According to the linked story, MLB was able to come up with that proof during the appeal process, and Canó dropped his appeal of the suspension. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson