I put it off long enough, and now I got the bad news

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BackInTex

I put it off long enough, and now I got the bad news

#1 Post by BackInTex » Mon May 14, 2018 2:55 pm

Sort of like that pain you have, but you don't go to the doctor for fear of bad news, even though waiting doesn't change anything, but no news allows hope.

Though I don't recommend putting off a doctor's visit as the bad news could and likely will get worse.

My situation was a inoperable hard drive. 4 years ago I found that our computer would no longer read the second hard drive. There had been a funny whirring sound coming from the computer for awhile but I thought the fan was about to go out. Nope, it was the hard drive.

All our digital pictures were on that drive. 13 years worth. I was not concerned because I had been making backups periodically. I found the backups and realized much to my self flagellating dismay, I did not have, or could not find, backups for the years 2005-2007. That was strange having backups for 2004 and prior and 2008 and forward. But I could not find them. So the files were lost.

I looked up data recovery services and the estimates were from $500-$1500 to recover (if they could recovery). So, I let the drive sit in a drawer for almost 4 years. Finally, after hearing enough complaining from my wife and kids I took it to a place locally. I just got the news that the data was "unrecoverable". :(

They said the platter (or platters) had a "round scratch" on it/them. My heart sank.

I have found a company out of Wisconsin that says they can still possibly recover data from them, so all hope is not lost, but I'm not too confident. They said it would likely be more expensive due to the drive already being "cracked open" by another party. I think the party here was fairly reputable (good BBB rating) as is the party in Wisconsin. So hopefully they will be able to recover some of the lost pictures for not too much more.

I think this weekend I will go through all my CDs, cases, drawers, etc. trying again (though I predict without success) to find the elusive backups I should have, and hope I, made.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

Re: I put it off long enough, and now I got the bad news

#2 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon May 14, 2018 3:06 pm

BackInTex wrote:Sort of like that pain you have, but you don't go to the doctor for fear of bad news, even though waiting doesn't change anything, but no news allows hope.

Though I don't recommend putting off a doctor's visit as the bad news could and likely will get worse.

My situation was a inoperable hard drive. 4 years ago I found that our computer would no longer read the second hard drive. There had been a funny whirring sound coming from the computer for awhile but I thought the fan was about to go out. Nope, it was the hard drive.

All our digital pictures were on that drive. 13 years worth. I was not concerned because I had been making backups periodically. I found the backups and realized much to my self flagellating dismay, I did not have, or could not find, backups for the years 2005-2007. That was strange having backups for 2004 and prior and 2008 and forward. But I could not find them. So the files were lost.

I looked up data recovery services and the estimates were from $500-$1500 to recover (if they could recovery). So, I let the drive sit in a drawer for almost 4 years. Finally, after hearing enough complaining from my wife and kids I took it to a place locally. I just got the news that the data was "unrecoverable". :(

They said the platter (or platters) had a "round scratch" on it/them. My heart sank.

I have found a company out of Wisconsin that says they can still possibly recover data from them, so all hope is not lost, but I'm not too confident. They said it would likely be more expensive due to the drive already being "cracked open" by another party. I think the party here was fairly reputable (good BBB rating) as is the party in Wisconsin. So hopefully they will be able to recover some of the lost pictures for not too much more.

I think this weekend I will go through all my CDs, cases, drawers, etc. trying again (though I predict without success) to find the elusive backups I should have, and hope I, made.
Someone in Russia can probably get you a copy.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Mon May 14, 2018 3:44 pm

I wear three belts and four suspenders. I have all my photos backed up to Amazon.com, Google, and MS OneDrive. I have thousands of documents on Google and OneDrive as well. In addition, my tower and three laptops all sync with both Google and OneDrive. And to top it off, I have an external backup drive on my tower drive. No way, no how will I lose any photos.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

#4 Post by BackInTex » Mon May 14, 2018 3:57 pm

Bob Juch wrote:I wear three belts and four suspenders. I have all my photos backed up to Amazon.com, Google, and MS OneDrive. I have thousands of documents on Google and OneDrive as well. In addition, my tower and three laptops all sync with both Google and OneDrive. And to top it off, I have an external backup drive on my tower drive. No way, no how will I lose any photos.
I'm well covered now.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#5 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon May 14, 2018 4:16 pm

Bob Juch wrote:I wear three belts and four suspenders. I have all my photos backed up to Amazon.com, Google, and MS OneDrive. I have thousands of documents on Google and OneDrive as well. In addition, my tower and three laptops all sync with both Google and OneDrive. And to top it off, I have an external backup drive on my tower drive. No way, no how will I lose any photos.
I have a comeback to this, but I better not....
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Spock

#6 Post by Spock » Mon May 14, 2018 5:35 pm

Say what you will, this modern way is so much better than having a shoebox full of pictures.

BackInTex

#7 Post by BackInTex » Mon May 14, 2018 6:05 pm

Spock wrote:
Say what you will, this modern way is so much better than having a shoebox full of pictures.
I will be looking through shoeboxes this weekend to determine what pictures DID get printed. I know we had some printed along the way.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Estonut
Evil Genius

#8 Post by Estonut » Mon May 14, 2018 11:24 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Spock wrote:
I will be looking through shoeboxes this weekend to determine what pictures DID get printed. I know we had some printed along the way.
Are you aware whether or not any of your devices may have auto-uploaded to a cloud account?
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

BackInTex

#9 Post by BackInTex » Wed May 16, 2018 7:00 am

Estonut wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
Spock wrote:Say what you will, this modern way is so much better than having a shoebox full of pictures.
Are you aware whether or not any of your devices may have auto-uploaded to a cloud account?
Most of the stuff missing is from a non-phone digital camera, so no auto-loading to cloud, unfortunately.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#10 Post by Bob Juch » Wed May 16, 2018 8:51 am

BackInTex wrote:
Estonut wrote:
BackInTex wrote:I will be looking through shoeboxes this weekend to determine what pictures DID get printed. I know we had some printed along the way.
Most of the stuff missing is from a non-phone digital camera, so no auto-loading to cloud, unfortunately.
When I upload from my camera to one of my PCs, it is automatically backed-up to SkyDrive, Google, and Amazon.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.