Is just a little competence too much to ask?

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Is just a little competence too much to ask?

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:33 pm

State Department spokesperson Heather Nauert: “We have a very strong relationship with the government of Germany. Looking back in the history books, today is the 71st anniversary of the speech that announced the Marshall Plan. Tomorrow is the anniversary of the D-Day invasion.”

Perhaps someone might have explained to her that the D-Day invasion is probably not the best way to illustrate our strong ties with Germany. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

Re: Is just a little competence too much to ask?

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:48 pm

Bob78164 wrote:State Department spokesperson Heather Nauert: “We have a very strong relationship with the government of Germany. Looking back in the history books, today is the 71st anniversary of the speech that announced the Marshall Plan. Tomorrow is the anniversary of the D-Day invasion.”

Perhaps someone might have explained to her that the D-Day invasion is probably not the best way to illustrate our strong ties with Germany. --Bob
:lol:
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

#3 Post by BackInTex » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:58 pm

Bob78164 wrote:State Department spokesperson Heather Nauert: “We have a very strong relationship with the government of Germany. Looking back in the history books, today is the 71st anniversary of the speech that announced the Marshall Plan. Tomorrow is the anniversary of the D-Day invasion.”

It was the starting point of a beautiful friendship.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#4 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:00 pm

Bob78164 wrote:Perhaps someone might have explained to her that the D-Day invasion is probably not the best way to illustrate our strong ties with Germany. --Bob
Well, we've become great friends with Canada since they burned down the White House.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

BackInTex

#5 Post by BackInTex » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:00 pm

57 states visited, only 1 left.

..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#6 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:49 pm

BackInTex wrote:57 states visited, only 1 left.

Bit of a difference between a slip of the mind occurring toward the end of a long campaign and what's been going on here. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#7 Post by BackInTex » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:28 am

Bob78164 wrote:

Bit of a difference between a slip of the mind occurring toward the end of a long campaign and what's been going on here. --Bob
With you, there is always a difference.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

franktangredi

#8 Post by franktangredi » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:47 am

BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
I also don't think the two are comparable.

Put politics aside and answer from your own knowledge of the types of mistakes we've all made. Which one of them do you think is more likely to be a genuine slip of the tongue: saying one number when you meant to say another number, or citing a time when two countries were at war in order to demonstrate the close ties between those two countries?

Which of the two can you imagine yourself doing? Have you ever called one of your kids by the wrong name, and did it mean you didn't actually know your kids names?

tlynn78

#9 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:56 am

franktangredi wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:Bit of a difference between a slip of the mind occurring toward the end of a long campaign and what's been going on here. --Bob

Put politics aside and answer from your own knowledge of the types of mistakes we've all made. Which one of them do you think is more likely to be a genuine slip of the tongue: saying one number when you meant to say another number, or citing a time when two countries were at war in order to demonstrate the close ties between those two countries?

Which of the two can you imagine yourself doing? Have you ever called one of your kids by the wrong name, and did it mean you didn't actually know your kids names?
Well, there was actually nothing factually wrong with her statement, for one thing.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

franktangredi

#10 Post by franktangredi » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:02 am

tlynn78 wrote:
franktangredi wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

Well, there was actually nothing factually wrong with her statement, for one thing.
It would be like me citing Lincoln as an example of how Presidents have always given their support to live theatre.

tlynn78

#11 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:22 am

:roll:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#12 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:02 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
franktangredi wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

At a minimum, can we agree that it was undiplomatic? And that undiplomatic is not a great quality in a spokesperson for the State Department?

Stuff like this is why I sometimes despair over the hyperpartisan nature of our times. It shouldn't be hard to admit this was a screw-up. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but I really would hope we can reach general agreement on stuff like this. --Bob

silverscreenselect

#13 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:42 pm

Bob78164 wrote: Stuff like this is why I sometimes despair over the hyperpartisan nature of our times. It shouldn't be hard to admit this was a screw-up. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but I really would hope we can reach general agreement on stuff like this. --Bob
Considering that we went through eight years during which right wingers picked apart Obama for using Dijon mustard and wearing a tan suit, and golfing about 1/5 as often as Trump dies, the magnitude of Trump and company's gaffes that pass by without comment is staggering. The latest:

Kim Jong Un Begged on Hands and Knees to Revive Summit says Rudy

If anyone actually listens to Giuliani, other than Trump and the brown nosers at Fox News, stating that someone got on their knees is a sign of complete capitulation in Korean culture, an admission of guilt and begging for forgiveness, even more so than it is here. There are very few things Rudy could have said that would actually have been more inflammatory and demeaning going into the summit.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

elwoodblues

#14 Post by elwoodblues » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:22 pm

Trump could drop his pants during the next State of the Union address and his supporters would say that maybe it was hot in there.

elwoodblues

#15 Post by elwoodblues » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:22 pm

Double post
Last edited by elwoodblues on Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BackInTex

#16 Post by BackInTex » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:53 pm

Bob78164 wrote: Stuff like this is why I sometimes despair over the hyperpartisan nature of our times. It shouldn't be hard to admit this was a screw-up. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but I really would hope we can reach general agreement on stuff like this. --Bob
When you continue to claim Trump was asking the Russians to hack Clinton's email and then you post this, you continue to show your hypocrisy around all things political.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#17 Post by BackInTex » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:55 pm

elwoodblues wrote:Trump could drop his pants during the next State of the Union address and his supporters would say that maybe it was hot in there.
Or that he was simply campaigning to get Democrat votes.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#18 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:17 pm

BackInTex wrote:
When you continue to claim Trump was asking the Russians to hack Clinton's email and then you post this, you continue to show your hypocrisy around all things political.
Where's your proof that it was a joke? I don't want opinion, I want your proof as to his state of mind. --Bob

tlynn78

#19 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:33 pm

BackInTex wrote:

It was not particularly eloquently stated; it also wasn't inaccurate. As Bob said - not a big deal. Yet it generated, so far, ten snarky posts from the left side of the bored. Hyperpartisanship, indeed.

elwoodblues

#20 Post by elwoodblues » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:40 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

It was not particularly eloquently stated; it also wasn't inaccurate. As Bob said - not a big deal. Yet it generated, so far, ten snarky posts from the left side of the bored. Hyperpartisanship, indeed.
A famous battle we fought against Germany is an example of our strong relationship with Germany? Seriously, I am trying to understand the logic of this.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#21 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:44 pm

elwoodblues wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

A famous battle we fought against Germany is an example of our strong relationship with Germany? Seriously, I am trying to understand the logic of this.
We cleared the way for the current government. By killing as many Germans as we could find.

This wasn't just ineloquent. It showed complete ignorance of history, both on the part of Ms. Nauert and also on the part of anyone else who reviewed the statement before she made it. It's not a big deal only because she's a low-level spokesperson, so her gaffe will be of little consequence. --Bob

tlynn78

#22 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:45 pm

elwoodblues wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

She didn't say "We have a strong relationship with Germany; for instance, D-Day." I might say, "I have a strong relationship with my husband. We met when I was dating his best friend." That does not mean I'm saying, I have a strong relationship with my husband because I was dating his best friend. But because she is representative of the Trump administration, her phrasing rises to incompetence, at least to lefties.

franktangredi

#23 Post by franktangredi » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:51 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
I wasn't responding as a leftist. I was responding as someone who gets offended by abuses of logic and of the English language.

tlynn78

#24 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:58 pm

franktangredi wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:
I wasn't responding as a leftist. I was responding as someone who gets offended by abuses of logic and of the English language.
There, they're, their, now.

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#25 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:02 pm

The problem as I see it is that she went from point A to point Z without a drive in between on the Logic Turnpike.

Thus, my feeling is that it was a stupid statement. I would've said the same thing had it been made by an Obama administration spokesperson. It was a dumb thing to say, or at least a dumb way to say it.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck