Justice Kennedy to retire

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
flockofseagulls104

Justice Kennedy to retire

#1 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:11 pm

Ooooh boy! Here it comes..... Can the left go more insane than they already are?
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

silverscreenselect

Re: Justice Kennedy to retire

#2 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:31 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:Ooooh boy! Here it comes..... Can the left go more insane than they already are?
Not good news. The question will be whether Democrats can persuade one of the handful of more moderate Republican senators to hold the line against a hard right Trump choice. (I don't think McCain will be voting on any Supreme Court picks, so the Republicans would need all 50 of the other Republicans to go along). Somwhere, among Collins, Murkowski, Flake, and Corker there may be a bit of a conscience.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#3 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:40 pm

I would think he would nominate a swing votey sort like Kennedy.
Well, then

BackInTex

#4 Post by BackInTex » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:44 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote:Ooooh boy! Here it comes..... Can the left go more insane than they already are?
Somwhere, among Collins, Murkowski, Flake, and Corker there may be a bit of a conscience.
Your mindset, along with most of the media, Maxine Waters, and the folks who can't allow someone with differing political views each lunch in peace are the reason Republicans will win in the fall, and in 2020.

You can add Bobby Sue Censor to the list as well.

Most reasonable people are that, reasonable, and do not like being told how to think, especially when that includes threats and harassment if not followed.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#5 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:52 pm

Beebs52 wrote:I would think he would nominate a swing votey sort like Kennedy.
I would be very pleasantly surprised if that happens. I expect Donny to nominate another hard right ideologue like Gorsuch. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#6 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:25 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
I would be very pleasantly surprised if that happens. I expect Donny to nominate another hard right ideologue like Gorsuch. --Bob
I feel sorry for anyone who is nominated. The SJW nazis on the left will hound him or her every second of the day, now that Maxine Waters has endorsed that behavior. Do you enjoy being part of that bob-tel? Tell me how you condemn those tactics and how you will do everything in your power to stop it.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#7 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:44 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
I guess hard right ideology doesn't allow for this?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.busine ... ase-2018-4
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#8 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:59 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

I do agree that from time to time he'll be willing to depart from other conservatives, probably by insisting on narrow interpretations of criminal statutes and perhaps even by expanding Fourth Amendment protections. But on the cases that will make a real difference in the lives of tens of millions of Americans, I think he'll prove to be a very reliable conservative vote. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#9 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:28 pm

Not good news. The question will be whether Democrats can persuade one of the handful of more moderate Republican senators to hold the line against a hard right Trump choice. (I don't think McCain will be voting on any Supreme Court picks, so the Republicans would need all 50 of the other Republicans to go along). Somwhere, among Collins, Murkowski, Flake, and Corker there may be a bit of a conscience.
I predict that on the first Monday in October the court will have eight members.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Appa23

#10 Post by Appa23 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:29 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:I would be very pleasantly surprised if that happens. I expect Donny to nominate another hard right ideologue like Gorsuch. --Bob

I do agree that from time to time he'll be willing to depart from other conservatives, probably by insisting on narrow interpretations of criminal statutes and perhaps even by expanding Fourth Amendment protections. But on the cases that will make a real difference in the lives of tens of millions of Americans, I think he'll prove to be a very reliable conservative vote. --Bob
Certainly, if he protects the lives of tens of millions of babies, they will consider that a real difference.

Bob Juch

#11 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:31 pm

Appa23 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:

Certainly, if he protects the lives of tens of millions of babies, they will consider that a real difference.
How would he protect the lives of millions of babies? Something to do with universal healthcare or food stamps?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#12 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:44 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote: Can the left go more insane than they already are?
You mean like this person:

http://wset.com/news/local/west-virgini ... he-red-hen

tlynn78

#13 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:54 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:I would be very pleasantly surprised if that happens. I expect Donny to nominate another hard right ideologue like Gorsuch. --Bob

lol - So he's a hard right ideologue, except when he's not. Got it.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#14 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:15 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:

lol - So he's a hard right ideologue, except when he's not. Got it.
:?
Well, then

silverscreenselect

#15 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:17 pm

tlynn78 wrote:lol - So he's a hard right ideologue, except when he's not. Got it.
No, it means that he has his idiosyncrasies, the same as every judge.

BackInTex

#16 Post by BackInTex » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:07 pm

tlynn78 wrote:lol - So he's a hard right ideologue, except when he's not. Got it.
If he is like every judge, why the negativity? Oh wait, because of who appointed him. I see.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

jarnon

#17 Post by jarnon » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:32 pm

Justice Kennedy’s announcement overshadowed two other Washington retirements. House Democratic leader Joe Crowley was primaried by a 28-year-old upstart. And former Nationals star Jayson Werth (who got a World Series ring with the 2008 Phillies) announced that this is his final season in baseball.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

silverscreenselect

#18 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:14 pm

BackInTex wrote: If he is like every judge, why the negativity? Oh wait, because of who appointed him. I see.
It's not just who appointed him; it's how he got appointed, by Mitch McConnell refusing to hold hearings on Merrick Garland until after the election. Funny that this time around, he's real anxious to hold hearings on this new justice before the next election.

flockofseagulls104

#19 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:17 pm

BackInTex wrote: If he is like every judge, why the negativity? Oh wait, because of who appointed him. I see.
It's not just who appointed him; it's how he got appointed, by Mitch McConnell refusing to hold hearings on Merrick Garland until after the election. Funny that this time around, he's real anxious to hold hearings on this new justice before the next election.
We've been through this before. The fact is that even if hearings had been held, he never would have gotten confirmed. So why waste the time and money going through the motions? It is a non-argument, and don't even try to tell me the dems wouldn't have done the same thing if the situation was reversed.

tlynn78

#20 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:04 pm

BackInTex wrote:
If he is like every judge, why the negativity? Oh wait, because of who appointed him. I see.
Exactly.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#21 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:22 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
We've been through this before. The fact is that even if hearings had been held, he never would have gotten confirmed. So why waste the time and money going through the motions? It is a non-argument, and don't even try to tell me the dems wouldn't have done the same thing if the situation was reversed.
Yes, he would have. There were a number of vulnerable Republican Senators who did not want to vote on the record not to confirm him.

I don't think the Democrats would have done the same thing if their situations had been reversed. But I will sure as hell urge them to do so now. --Bob

earendel

#22 Post by earendel » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:04 am

An article in Slate.com (admittedly a left-leaning publication) says that Kennedy's retirement just made efforts by Democrats to retake the Senate much harder - the opportunity for the president to nominate another justice will motivate the Republican base; the Democrats need to win one of three red states believed to be in play (Arizona, Tennessee and Nevada) and defend five seats in potentially vulnerable states (Florida, Indiana, Missouri, North Dakota and West Virginia).

The article also says that Senate Democrats can't do what Mitch McConnell did since the Republicans hold a majority and there's no judicial filibuster any longer. It's possible, I suppose, that some Republicans not up for re-election (such as Collins and Murkowski) or those retiring (such as Flake and Corker) might not go along with whomever the president nominates.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

elwoodblues

#23 Post by elwoodblues » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:48 pm

The Supreme Court was the main reason I voted for Clinton. Nominating Supreme Court Justices may be the most important thing the President does nowadays, and it should have gotten more attention during the campaign.

Ritterskoop

#24 Post by Ritterskoop » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:26 pm

I have always had this Pollyanna view that the Court gets a lot of things right by not hearing the cases, and leaving things up to the lower courts. And then even when they do hear a case, and even when I disagree with them, it just has not seemed like an unmitigated disaster over the long haul. Which is to say, eventually we get things figured out, and reverse things that were deep down wrong.

So I never have gotten all into the upset over the Court and its members and which way they lean, and won't be starting now. In other words, I trust that whoever is nominated and confirmed will be qualified and will do their best. Trusting the system means I can sleep at night. It doesn't mean it's the best position but it's the one I can live with.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

jarnon

#25 Post by jarnon » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:25 am

jarnon wrote:Justice Kennedy’s announcement overshadowed two other Washington retirements. House Democratic leader Joe Crowley was primaried by a 28-year-old upstart.
The Resistance has spread from coast to coast.
CA Democrats endorse de León over incumbent Feinstein
jarnon wrote:And former Nationals star Jayson Werth (who got a World Series ring with the 2008 Phillies) announced that this is his final season in baseball.
Jayson's Phillies teammate Chase Utley is retiring too.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי