I'm so sick of these crooks

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
ghostjmf

I'm so sick of these crooks

#1 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:26 pm

I get real-mail telling me that warranty on my car is almost out so I have to buy an extension from the letter-senders. My car, of course, was bought at age 10 from a private owner who did not offer a warranty.

And those endless phone calls telling me my wellness package is ready to ship & that I've won a 2nd trip from people I've never taken a trip with.

I know better, but what about all of those people who don't.
Last edited by ghostjmf on Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bob Juch

Re: I'm so sick of these crooks

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:32 pm

ghostjmf wrote:I get real-mail telling me that warranty on my car is almost out so I have to buy an extension from the letter-senders. My car, of course, was bought at age 10 from aa private owner who did not offer a warranty.

And those endless phone calls telling me my wellness package is ready to ship & that I've won a 2nd trip from people I've never taken a trip with.

I know better, but what about all of those people who don't.
You aren't getting any "lower the interest rate on your credit card" calls?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

ghostjmf

#3 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:41 pm

Oh yeah, I get those too. As well as "I'm your computer technician".

tlynn78

#4 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:35 am

ghostjmf wrote:Oh yeah, I get those too. As well as "I'm your computer technician".
It is despicable. I fielded a phone call not long ago from a very irate thirty-something who wanted to rip into me for threatening her elderly mother with jail time if she didn't get herself over to Albertson's Grocery Store and purchase $1200 in pre-paid credit cards to atone for not showing up for jury duty. At least four times a year we have to send out notices to media outlets, etc., explaining that we don't generally send a sheriff's deputy to arrest someone for non-appearance for jury duty, the max fine is $50, and that we'd never send someone to purchase pre-paid cards to pay a 'fine.' Yet it continues to happen. I'm very grateful that since calling all the grocers, Targets, etc., in the county, they're all on board and very proactive in helping protect those targeted in these scams. It is still disturbing to think how many are still victimized.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Vandal
Director of Promos

#5 Post by Vandal » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:40 am

Fortunately, there are some legitimate folks out there with legitimate problems. I was more than happy to help out a stranded Nigerian astronaut when I was contacted via email. Wouldn't you?
REQUEST FOR ASSISTANCE-STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL

I am Dr. Bakare Tunde, the cousin of Nigerian Astronaut, Air Force Major Abacha Tunde. He was the first African in space when he made a secret flight to the Salyut 6 space station in 1979. He was on a later Soviet spaceflight, Soyuz T-16Z to the secret Soviet military space station Salyut 8T in 1989. He was stranded there in 1990 when the Soviet Union was dissolved. His other Soviet crew members returned to earth on the Soyuz T-16Z, but his place was taken up by return cargo. There have been occasional Progrez supply flights to keep him going since that time. He is in good humor, but wants to come home.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

tlynn78

#6 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:10 am

Vandal wrote:Fortunately, there are some legitimate folks out there with legitimate problems. I was more than happy to help out a stranded Nigerian astronaut when I was contacted via email. Wouldn't you?
REQUEST FOR ASSISTANCE-STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL

I am Dr. Bakare Tunde, the cousin of Nigerian Astronaut, Air Force Major Abacha Tunde. He was the first African in space when he made a secret flight to the Salyut 6 space station in 1979. He was on a later Soviet spaceflight, Soyuz T-16Z to the secret Soviet military space station Salyut 8T in 1989. He was stranded there in 1990 when the Soviet Union was dissolved. His other Soviet crew members returned to earth on the Soyuz T-16Z, but his place was taken up by return cargo. There have been occasional Progrez supply flights to keep him going since that time. He is in good humor, but wants to come home.
I'm sincerely happy I wasn't mid-swallow when I read this. lol - bless his heart! I commend you for your valiant efforts to bring that poor soul home. :lol: :lol:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Ritterskoop

#7 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:28 am

I show this TED Talk in class, mostly just for fun. It's a comedian who spends his days replying to spam emails -- on our behalf!

https://www.ted.com/talks/james_veitch_ ... spam_email
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.