I got published

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

I got published

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:32 am

I have an article up. It's available to paid subscribers of Political Wire. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

Re: I got published

#2 Post by BackInTex » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:50 am

When did you start going by Taegan Goddard?
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#3 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:19 pm

Bob78164 wrote:I have an article up. It's available to paid subscribers of Political Wire. --Bob
I'll bet it's a doozy. I think I'll pass on it..
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Chuck E Reese
Merry Man

#4 Post by Chuck E Reese » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:15 pm

Congratulations! I can't wait until the first time SSS quotes your work on the Bored...

silverscreenselect

#5 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:12 pm

Chuck E Reese wrote:Congratulations! I can't wait until the first time SSS quotes your work on the Bored...
It'll be a very long time if I have to pay to access that site.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#6 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:53 pm

BackInTex wrote:When did you start going by Taegan Goddard?
He accepts occasional contributions from subscribers. He found my submission acceptable. —Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#7 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:50 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Chuck E Reese wrote:Congratulations! I can't wait until the first time SSS quotes your work on the Bored...
Not the whole site, but my article is behind his paywall.

He's asked for a week of exclusivity, and I agreed. I also suggested that when Donny announces his nomination, he might want to move it out from behind the paywall. If not, once the week of exclusivity has elapsed I'll post the text. --Bob

flockofseagulls104

#8 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:12 am

Bob78164 wrote:

He's asked for a week of exclusivity, and I agreed. I also suggested that when Donny announces his nomination, he might want to move it out from behind the paywall. If not, once the week of exclusivity has elapsed I'll post the text. --Bob
Please don't bother, we know what it is.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#9 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:39 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

No one will force you to read it. But no one will let you stop anyone who wants to read it. --Bob

flockofseagulls104

#10 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:52 am

Bob78164 wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:Not the whole site, but my article is behind his paywall.

No one will force you to read it. But no one will let you stop anyone who wants to read it. --Bob
Just a rhetorical request.....

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#11 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:29 am

Here's my piece.

Much news coverage of Donald Trump’s upcoming Supreme Court appointment focuses on the effect of that pick on abortion rights, and deservedly so. Over their lifetimes, more than one-third of American women will face that choice, and for the last 45 years, they’ve largely been able to do so free from overt government interference. There is little doubt that Trump’s pick will oppose abortion rights, and it’s unlikely that a majority of senators will stand in the way of that nomination. So Roe v. Wade is on its way out the door, likely to be expressly overruled before the next presidential election. To that extent, the news media probably has it right.

But the media goes wrong when it talks about who will be affected when and if the Court overrules Roe v. Wade. The prevailing belief is that this will be an issue only in red states, where state legislatures hostile to abortion rights stand ready to, and in some cases already have, outlaw abortion. The political rhetoric from anti-abortion politicians has focused on making abortion rights an issue for the states. Blue states will choose to protect abortion rights, keeping safe and legal abortions available for those living in a pro-choice state or who can afford to travel to one. That, at least, is the consensus.

The consensus is wrong, or at least is wildly overconfident. With Roe v. Wade out of the way, there is nothing to stop a Republican House and a Republican Senate from passing, and a Republican President from signing, a nationwide abortion ban. The Supreme Court has already approved (in a case called Gonzales v. Carhart) a federal law, the Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act, preventing one type of abortion on a nationwide basis. With Roe v. Wade overruled, there is little reason to expect the Court would interfere with a Congressional attempt to ban all abortions throughout the country.

Those familiar with constitutional law will undoubtedly observe that in Carhart, the Court did not consider issues of federalism — whether abortion regulations are wholly beyond the enumerated powers of Congress. That is the line of attack that nearly brought down the Affordable Care Act, so perhaps a conservative majority would strike down a federal law on that basis. But the Court’s federalism jurisdiction is notoriously political and results-oriented in nature, even more so than many of its decisions. The Court generally deprives Congress of the power to act only when Congress makes decisions that are contrary to the Justices’ politics. This will not be such an occasion.

And even short of that, there is much Congress could do that is comfortably within its clear authority (assuming Roe v. Wade has been overruled). Congress could use its authority over interstate commerce pass a law preventing interstate travel for the purpose of securing an abortion not available in the woman’s home state — a latter-day Mann Act. It could prevent doctors from providing abortions to women living in anti-abortion states. Congress could preclude international travel by pregnant women for the purpose of securing an abortion.

Politically far-fetched? Inspired by nightmares of The Handmaid’s Tale? Perhaps so. But two years ago, so was the thought of President Donald Trump. And if the Court does overrule Roe v. Wade as expected, and if Republicans retain their Congressional majorities after the 2018 elections, the reality is that there will be nothing protecting abortion rights anywhere in the country except Mitch McConnell’s sense of self-restraint.

BackInTex

#12 Post by BackInTex » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:20 am

Where do you get your 1/3 number and how is it calculated?

Seems like a BS number meant to create a false importance of PP.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#13 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:14 am

BackInTex wrote:Where do you get your 1/3 number and how is it calculated?

Seems like a BS number meant to create a false importance of PP.
Here's one source, which estimates (based on 2008 figures) that 30.1% of American women will have an abortion at least once in their lives.

One thing to note. I didn't say more than one-third of American women will have an abortion. I said more than one-third of American women will face the choice whether to have one. --Bob

earendel

#14 Post by earendel » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:59 am

I may be whistling past the graveyard but I don't think Kavanaugh's appointment means the end of Roe v. Wade. I do think, however, that it will be rendered moot by continuing to whittle away at the protections provided under the decision, to the point that it will be meaningless.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#15 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:06 pm

earendel wrote:I may be whistling past the graveyard but I don't think Kavanaugh's appointment means the end of Roe v. Wade. I do think, however, that it will be rendered moot by continuing to whittle away at the protections provided under the decision, to the point that it will be meaningless.
They'll duck the issue for as long as they can, but I don't think that will be very long at all. A number of states are forcing the issue by passing outright abortion bans, and I don't see any way for the Court to avoid squarely ruling on whether Roe v. Wade remains good law. Congress could do the same thing, as I point out in my article. (Congress could, if it chose, make challenges to its law part of the Court's mandatory appellate jurisdiction, which takes away the easiest route for the Court to duck the issue -- simply refuse to hear the case.) And if forced to confront the issue, I don't see any way a Court with Kavanaugh doesn't vote to overrule Roe. --Bob