WWTBAM Bored

A home for the weary.
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:19 am 
Offline
Dumbass
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:20 pm
Posts: 29632
Location: Between the Suavitel and Fabuloso
Last night in Colorado, the Rockies' German Marquez homered off of the Diamondbacks' Daniel Descalso in the bottom of the 5th inning...

That doesn't seem unusual if you're unaware that Marquez is a pitcher and Descalso is a position player. In fact, Marquez was the starting pitcher for the Rockies in that game. Arizona used Descalso and Alex Aliva (a catcher) to mop up the entire last 4 2/3 innings of their 19-2 blowout loss (Descalso entered with one out in the 4th inning!). I don't think a team has ever gone to non-pitchers to pitch in a game that early before...

lb13

_________________
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:58 am
Posts: 22076
Location: Oro Valley, Arizona
littlebeast13 wrote:
Last night in Colorado, the Rockies' German Marquez homered off of the Diamondbacks' Daniel Descalso in the bottom of the 5th inning...

That doesn't seem unusual if you're unaware that Marquez is a pitcher and Descalso is a position player. In fact, Marquez was the starting pitcher for the Rockies in that game. Arizona used Descalso and Alex Aliva (a catcher) to mop up the entire last 4 2/3 innings of their 19-2 blowout loss (Descalso entered with one out in the 4th inning!). I don't think a team has ever gone to non-pitchers to pitch in a game that early before...

lb13

Out local TV sports guy was having a fit about that this morning.

_________________
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Posts: 15702
And, we can also mention the weekend that Nationals first baseman Mark Reynolds had:

Friday- Hits pinch hit walkoff home run
Saturday - Has 10 RBI's in one game (15th player in MLB history to do so). Nats beat Marlins 18-4
Sunday - Pitches last 1/3 inning of game in relief. Nats lose to Marlins 10-2.

I'd guess that's the first time that's ever happened.

Two more oddities from that series. Going into his 10 RBI game, Reynolds only had 14 RBI all season (including the one from Friday). And in the first game of the series on Thursday, Reynolds' teammate, Trea Turner had eight RBI's, making the Nats the first team in major league history to have two players get eight or more RBI's in one week.

_________________
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:27 pm 
Offline
Bored Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Posts: 17580
Location: By the phone
silverscreenselect wrote:
And, we can also mention the weekend that Nationals first baseman Mark Reynolds had:

Friday- Hits pinch hit walkoff home run
Saturday - Has 10 RBI's in one game (15th player in MLB history to do so). Nats beat Marlins 18-4
Sunday - Pitches last 1/3 inning of game in relief. Nats lose to Marlins 10-2.

I'd guess that's the first time that's ever happened.

Two more oddities from that series. Going into his 10 RBI game, Reynolds only had 14 RBI all season (including the one from Friday). And in the first game of the series on Thursday, Reynolds' teammate, Trea Turner had eight RBI's, making the Nats the first team in major league history to have two players get eight or more RBI's in one week.
I remember a game in Fred Lynn's rookie season where he had (if memory serves) 11 RBIs against the Tigers and nearly made it more -- one of his hits went off the top of the fence, missing by inches being a grand slam.

And I'll always have Fernando Tatis. --Bob

_________________
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:03 pm 
Offline
Director of Promos
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:42 pm
Posts: 3653
Location: Literary Circles
Bob78164 wrote:
And I'll always have Fernando Tatis. --Bob




Wait for it ...

_________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man


Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

With agent:
The Dragon's Song

Just finished:
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Up Next:
Devin Drake and The Roller-Ghoster
Devin Drake and the Haunted Balcony


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:50 pm 
Offline
Bored Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Posts: 17580
Location: By the phone
Vandal wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
And I'll always have Fernando Tatis. --Bob




Wait for it ...
I can say with considerable assurance that I witnessed the setting of an MLB record that will never be broken. Tied, perhaps, but never broken. --Bob

_________________
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:28 pm 
Offline
Merry Man
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:41 am
Posts: 51
Location: In the bleachers with Craig Paquette
Bob78164 wrote:
Vandal wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
And I'll always have Fernando Tatis. --Bob




Wait for it ...
I can say with considerable assurance that I witnessed the setting of an MLB record that will never be broken. Tied, perhaps, but never broken. --Bob



Only because Chan Ho Park is out of the game...

_________________
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes ... 4230.shtml


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:07 pm
Posts: 4399
Location: Olympia, Washington
The biggest oddity in baseball is the Gulls being in first place so close to the All Star Break....


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Americanized by Maƫl Soucaze.