survival training

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Ritterskoop

survival training

#1 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:58 pm

We just did a two-hour training thing at work - the first hour is showing what people did, and why it often doesn't work. A lot of it comes from Duck and Cover, which a school desk wasn't going to save you from radiation but whatever.

The second hour left us feeling empowered, and ready to run at the bad guys. He spent a lot of time on how to barricade the door, and then a lot on taking action after that - running and yelling, grabbing the gun (if the slide won't work on a handgun, only one bullet is coming out), throwing shit at the gunman. Maybe punching a hole through the drywall into the next room and outside - thinking about other exits.

Oh, and my favorite part was at the end when he said, "Don't name the bastards." He never did use their names.

I had read that one of the editors at the Capitol Gazette ran up to the gunman with a trash can in one hand and a recycle bucket in the other, just hollering and waving them around. She died, but at least three people got out because she slowed him down. She had just attended a class like this one. I want to be her.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: survival training

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:00 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:I had read that one of the editors at the Capitol Gazette ran up to the gunman with a trash can in one hand and a recycle bucket in the other, just hollering and waving them around. She died, but at least three people got out because she slowed him down. She had just attended a class like this one. I want to be her.
If it ever comes to that, try to avoid the dying part. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Ritterskoop

#3 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:56 pm

This is the officer who did our training. He graduated from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High and was a classmate of Aaron Fies, the teacher who died there blocking a door.

http://www.wbtv.com/story/32221064/char ... r-survival

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/charl ... /700691569
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

christie1111
11:11

#4 Post by christie1111 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:52 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Ritterskoop wrote:I had read that one of the editors at the Capitol Gazette ran up to the gunman with a trash can in one hand and a recycle bucket in the other, just hollering and waving them around. She died, but at least three people got out because she slowed him down. She had just attended a class like this one. I want to be her.
If it ever comes to that, try to avoid the dying part. --Bob

Agree with that!
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

Ritterskoop

#5 Post by Ritterskoop » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:13 am

He said many (in the 60-65% range) of these events involve an automatic handgun. If you grab the slide, only one bullet will fire. Your hand will get torn up but the gun won't fire again.

All the other stuff I took away involved going AT the bad guy rather than huddling somewhere waiting to be a target.

Well, that, and checking out the ceiling for crawlspace, and punching through the drywall to the next room. The point is, take action. Anything. Throw chairs at the bad guy. If all 60 of us in a room do that, we are at least not making things easy for them.
--------

Bob Juch

#6 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:26 am

If I'm ever in a similar situation, I'd run at the gunman. If he manages to shoot me, the inertia of a 285-pound man hitting him would disable him long enough for someone else to disarm him if necessary.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.