Audition report Vegas

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
jarnon

Re: Audition report Vegas

#26 Post by jarnon » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:57 am

ghostjmf:

As I tried to explain, a harder test yields more contestants who know trivia. If they were worried about giving away too much money, they'd make the test easier and pick the passers solely on personality. And they wouldn't have a special audition at TCONA, just the usual studio audience test.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#27 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:08 am

Estonut wrote:
triviawayne wrote:
ghostjmf wrote:And just for the record, none of the too-many tests I've passed to date were what I would call easy. Its just that the reports of this current run of tests, gearing up for TCONA contestants, have been "superhard".
you really have a very weird world all inside your head
You have no idea...
Snort!

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

ghostjmf

#28 Post by ghostjmf » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:50 am

jarnon:

They've been picking for personality all summer, & will continue to pick for personality at tapings.

But they want to salt the contestant pool with a precious few trivia buffs from TCONA, thus the suddenly harder tests.

jarnon

#29 Post by jarnon » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:12 am

ghostjmf wrote:jarnon:

They've been picking for personality all summer, & will continue to pick for personality at tapings.

But they want to salt the contestant pool with a precious few trivia buffs from TCONA, thus the suddenly harder tests.
If they wanted fewer trivia buffs, they'd make the test easier. I don't know how to explain this so you'll understand.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

triviawayne

#30 Post by triviawayne » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:14 am

ghostjmf wrote:triviawayne:

BAM has to do some earlier runs with their harder tests. And I'd guess they really do think people travel to Vegas for *weeks* of gambling. Maybe some people do.

uh...no they don't, mostly because they aren't specifically making harder tests

As I said before, at least in previous years they've felt obliged to interview all passers, evern if its a "hello/goodbye" interview.
they don't FEEL this way, they ARE obligated to interview all passers, and again, they ARE NOT obligated to place ANYONE on the show, so there is no reason for them to make harder tests just for TCONA, and AGAIN, they didn't even know they were coming to TCONA until this past week

Making the test harder obliges them not to have to interview whole roomsful of TCONAians. They think. They do want *some*, or they wouldn't still be interviewing people who didn't attend a taping.
so now you're claiming they make it harder, but not too hard, yet just right...uh huh, and how do you propose exactly how they do this

My guess is that this move will backfire & no matter how hard they make it, they'll be left with a room full of TCONAians to interview during TCONA's week.

so then why would they even bother to come to TCONA in the first place?

They've probably made it tough enough to cut me out, but not people who are so into trivia they go to TCONA.

to cut you out all they have to do is say hello/goodbye in the interview, WHICH YOU YOURSELF HAVE MENTIONED MULTIPLE TIMES

ghostjmf

#31 Post by ghostjmf » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:23 am

jarnon:

They already have a lot of people who passed the easier tests.

They want the option of salting the flow of contestants with a handpicked few trivia buffs who also have the requisite other features that make them good for tv. In the show's opinion

They announce the trivia buffs when they do put one on. "Won such & such a contest", etc.

I for one wish they'd stop announcing the IQ of the "Whiz Kid" contestants. For one thing, as I wish they'd found out by now, having a high I Q doesn't guarantee a trivia whiz, & it spooks the kids to have to live up to it, most of them.

The adult trivia whizzes can take a little pressure.

triviawayne

#32 Post by triviawayne » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:54 am

that's called casting, that's what they do

still no such thing as harder tests for TCONA,

They could have a test filled with all "what color is the sky" questions, and yet WHEN IT COMES TO THE FRICKING INTERVIEW IS WHEN THEY WILL SIMPLY NOT TAKE PEOPLE THEY DON'T WANT

triviawayne

#33 Post by triviawayne » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:54 am

They already have a lot of people who passed the easier tests.

They want the option of salting the flow of contestants with a handpicked few trivia buffs who also have the requisite other features that make them good for tv. In the show's opinion

YEAH, IT'S CALLED THE INTERVIEW

They announce the trivia buffs when they do put one on. "Won such & such a contest", etc.

I for one wish they'd stop announcing the IQ of the "Whiz Kid" contestants. For one thing, as I wish they'd found out by now, having a high I Q doesn't guarantee a trivia whiz, & it spooks the kids to have to live up to it, most of them.

The adult trivia whizzes can take a little pressure.

goongas

#34 Post by goongas » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:54 am

From what's been posted here, it seems they're using a two-tiered approach: in-person auditions with a hard written test, and video auditions with an easier Skype test, if they like your video. That gives them a mixture of trivia experts and players who look good on TV.
I disagree with the video audition statement. I was granted a Skype test, and the casting producer asked me what I did, even though I clearly stated it in my video. I don't think my video was necessarily watched. Plus as I stated before, the Skype test was very hard (my producer said I only had 7 seconds to answer each question, and some of the questions were ones designed that you could figure out only if you had some time to think about them). If they had liked my video so much, I think I would have gotten more than a 15 second interview in person when I was there in July.

ghostjmf

#35 Post by ghostjmf » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:44 pm

All those who are dumping on me now for irrational reasons have forgotten, I think, that I passed one of my 1st interviews & GOT ON THE SHOW.

"Only" as far as the Ring of Fire, though.

For those who remember it.
Last edited by ghostjmf on Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goongas

#36 Post by goongas » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:11 pm

ghostjmf wrote:All those who are dumping on me now for irrational reasons have forgoitten, I think, that I passed one of my 1st interviews & GOT ON THE SHOW.

"Only" as far as the Ring of Fire, though.

For those who remember it..
Ghost, I didn't mean to dump on you if it seems I did. The point I wanted to get across is that they are going to pick people that they think are going to give them a great show, given their budgetary constraints. They are not as scheming as you think they are, they don't have the time. They are busy taping shows. They can be impersonal and impolite and dishonest, that I would agree.

ghostjmf

#37 Post by ghostjmf » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:42 pm

goongas, you're not one of those who are dumping on me.

Not-so-predictable others, not-predictable in that they haven't done it before are, though.

I think I've hit a nerve, kind of like the dentist sometimes does.

There are a lot of things I would have done differently in my ROF chance if I'd known I wasn't going to get to play. But you have to go for it with a "this is it" attitude.

In the intervening years interviewers have decided I wouldn't make good television, though Sonny, bless him (that's a northerner's "bless him", where I really mean "bless him") did.

I think maybe I do have a big black dot next to my name.

But if they come back to Boston I'm going to try again if I possibly can.

If the interviewers decide I'm not ready for mid-afternoon tv, that's their decision, & loss. I just don't like having their judgement echoed by people who do not have the power to put anyone on the show.

triviawayne

#38 Post by triviawayne » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:55 pm

ghostjmf wrote:goongas, you're not one of those who are dumping on me.

Not-so-predictable others, not-predictable in that they haven't done it before are, though.

I think I've hit a nerve, kind of like the dentist sometimes does.

There are a lot of things I would have done differently in my ROF chance if I'd known I wasn't going to get to play. But you have to go for it with a "this is it" attitude.

In the intervening years interviewers have decided I wouldn't make good television, though Sonny, bless him (that's a northerner's "bless him", where I really mean "bless him") did.

I think maybe I do have a big black dot next to my name.

But if they come back to Boston I'm going to try again if I possibly can.

If the interviewers decide I'm not ready for mid-afternoon tv, that's their decision, & loss. I just don't like having their judgement echoed by people who do not have the power to put anyone on the show.
Good thing everything I've said in this thread has been rational, while pointing out irrational statements.

Bob Juch

#39 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:58 pm

Do I have to bring up Hitler to put an end to this thread? :evil:
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

goongas

#40 Post by goongas » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:12 pm

Bob,

God forbid we talk about the show, I know...

Ghost,

I don't think they have an enemies list with your and my name on it. There is too much turnover in the staff every year.

ulysses1950

#41 Post by ulysses1950 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:52 pm

I agree with goon...the turnover in contestant coordinators is just too great each season. I know there were about 12 contestants last season who play pub trivia at O'Briens here in Santa Monica and they won a total of about $600,000.
There have already been two from O'Briens who taped last week, and one was a former J! alum and auditioned in LA and the other Skyped.. I'm going to +1 for a friend of a friend this Wednesday. He will make good tv if I can calm him down. He had been on WOF and had Skyped an audition last summer and went to a taping three weeks ago and was chosen a week later. There is a former J! player who taped today. He had been a +1 last year.

ghostjmf

#42 Post by ghostjmf » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:35 pm

Ulysses:

Calm your friend down if you can.

One thing the old show formula with the ROF competition did was get the contestants focussed.

Your friend needs to be the raconteur when Chris talks bio stuff with him, but when the questions are read, focus!

Estonut
Evil Genius

#43 Post by Estonut » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:09 pm

ghostjmf wrote:Ulysses:

One thing the old show formula with the ROF competition did was get the contestants focussed.

Your friend needs to be the raconteur when Chris talks bio stuff with him, but when the questions are read, focus!
Excellent, useful advice, especially since uly probably doesn't have much game show/trivia experience.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

goongas

#44 Post by goongas » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:14 pm

I was at a dinner tonight with a lot of people at the table. The thing that people noticed out loud is how little I was talking when it came to the group discussion. The first impression I am sure I give off is I don't have a TV ready personality. I have to work on that just for my life in general, not just to pass a personality test for a game show.

triviawayne

#45 Post by triviawayne » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:32 am

Estonut wrote:

Excellent, useful advice, especially since uly probably doesn't have much game show/trivia experience.

Does your friend sit on the couch watching the show and get most of the answers correct? If so, tell your friend to forget it's real this time and just play like s/he does at home. On that stage it is very easy to forget everything you know, and it is even easier to second-guess yourself.

Tell your friend to believe in his/herself, they got that far, they're good enough to be there, and go for it so s/he don't take him/herself out of the game.

Bob Juch

#46 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:55 am

Estonut wrote:

Well, Uly has lost more money than any other game show contestant. :P
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

triviawayne

#47 Post by triviawayne » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:10 pm

Bob Juch wrote: Well, Uly has lost more money than any other game show contestant. :P
how much was that and on what show?

Vandal
Director of Promos

#48 Post by Vandal » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:17 pm

triviawayne wrote:
Bob Juch wrote: Well, Uly has lost more money than any other game show contestant. :P
how much was that and on what show?
From http://gameshows.wikia.com/wiki/Daniel_Avila
Daniel Avila is the first and only person to make it to the top prize on Greed. To win the $2,200,000, he had to name 4 out of the 9 most recognizable smells (out of baby powder, peanut butter, moth balls, tuna, coffee, dry cat food, chocolate, cinnamon, and Vicks Vaporub). He correctly guessed peanut butter, coffee, and Vicks Vaporub; missing the largest cash prize in TV history by only one answer, which was chocolate (he guessed tuna instead).
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Estonut
Evil Genius

#49 Post by Estonut » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:51 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Estonut wrote:

He hasn't lost a dime on TV.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Bob Juch

#50 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:57 pm

Estonut wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
Estonut wrote:Excellent, useful advice, especially since uly probably doesn't have much game show/trivia experience.
He hasn't lost a dime on TV.
Yes, he did. I guess you never saw Greed. He could have walked away with $1 million.