Game #183: Producers and Productions

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

Re: Game #183: Producers and Productions

#26 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:14 am

I think I've figured it out.

Chuck Connors was Burl Ives' son in Ives' Oscar winning role in The Big Country. Ives also appeared in White Dog.
Dan Aykroyd was Jessica Tandy's son in Driving Miss Daisy, and Tandy was in The Birds

Others:

Nick Nolte was James Coburn's son in Affliction and Coburn was in The Americanization of Emily
Mark Wahlberg was Melissa Leo's son in The Fighter
Al Pacino was Marlon Brando's son in The Godfather
James Dean was Jo Van Fleet's son in East of Eden
Debra Winger was Shirley MacLaine's daughter in Terms of Endearment

A-37 is Ewan McGregor, who was Christopher Plummer's son in Beginners; Plummer appears in All the Money in the World.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

jarnon

#27 Post by jarnon » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:15 am

franktangredi wrote:It is moving fast - certainly faster than my last game!

Among the actors, one of the definite answers is wrong.

Of those with a question mark, 7 are right and 2 are wrong.

Of those with alternate answers, 4 include the correct answer and 1 does not.

Among the movies, the same movie has been inadvertently included as the answer to two different question. It's right once.

Of those with a question mark, 3 are right and 2 are wrong.
My bad. B-8 was a typo, so B-10 and the rest of the definite movies must be correct. Updating…

Identify the 65 actors in List A and the 40 movies in List B. (Every other clue is a quotation.) Then, form 66 pairs, each consisting of one movie and one actor, according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself. The same basic Tangredi applies to all pairs, but some of them go one way and some of them go the other way. You’ll see.

One actor will be used twice.

Sixteen movies will be used twice and five movies will be used three times.

There will be no alternate answers.

LIST A: ACTORS

A-1. “I want to save part of my life for myself. There's a catch to it, though: it's got to be part of the young part. You know, retire young, work old. Come back and work when I know what I'm working for. Does that make any sense?”
CARY GRANT

A-2. This knight’s film career included adaptations of works by Leo Tolstoy, Eugene O’Neill, H.G. Wells, Joseph Conrad, Graham Greene, Robert Louis Stevenson, Boris Pasternak, Edgar Rice Burroughs – and, of course, Shakespeare.
RALPH RICHARDSON

A-3. “Stop going for the easy buck and start producing something with your life. Create, instead of living off the buying and selling of others.”
MARTIN SHEEN?

*A-4. JAMES DEAN

A-5. “Mama! Oh, Mama, just think of it! I shall be queen! Queen of France!”
NORMA SHEARER?

A-6. This actor appeared in the last film of a trilogy about a popular superhero and the first film in a continuing franchise about a popular doll.

A-7. “He knew what I was even before I did. The morning I left for college, he walked into my room and held out his hand and it was filled with money, a big sweaty wad of money, and he said, ‘Take this and I don't want you ever to come back.’ I grabbed him and hugged him and he turned around and walked out. I haven't seen him or talked to him since.”

*A-8. NICK NOLTE

A-9. “Let me tell you something, my two fine bedfellows, you're so dumb, there's nothin' to compare ya with! You're dumber than the dumbest jackass. Look at each other, will ya? Did you ever see anything like yourself for bein' dumb specimens? You're so dumb, you don't even see the riches you're treadin' on with your own feet.”
WALTER HUSTON

A-10. He was easily the most distinguished actor to appear in a certain 2013 made-for-television movie that – along with its sequels – has become a byword for bizarrely-conceived schlock.
JOHN HEARD?

A-11. “This is some rescue! You came in here, but didn't you have a plan for getting out?”
CARRIE FISHER

A-12. In 1940, she made her film debut – and got her only Oscar nomination – for recreating her stage role in a Pulitzer Prize-winning classic.
MARTHA SCOTT? JUDY HOLIDAY?

A-13. “Josh? He's nobody's boyfriend. He's just this guy that Becky and I like to torture.”

A-14. The day after this actress died at the age of 82, Bette Davis paid tribute to her, telling Dick Cavett she was a “gorgeous woman … the most beautiful person as well as actress,” and praising her for being a thorough professional who was never late and never missed a line.
GLADYS COOPER

A-15. “Gretchen, I'm sorry I laughed at you that time you got diarrhea at Barnes & Nobles…. And I'm sorry for telling everyone about it…. And I'm sorry for repeating it now.”
AMANDA SEYFRIED

A-16. The character that this actor played in a Best Picture Oscar winner was based on a real life British lord who refused to allow his name to be used – and who regretted the decision after he saw the movie.
NIGEL HAVERS

A-17. “You think I would let my kids near you? Look at yourself! You know what my lawyer said? My lawyer said that you're going to prison for 20 years, Jordan! Twenty f**king years! You're never gonna see the kids again! No, I'm not f**king letting you near my kids!”

A-18. This Canadian actor is perhaps best remembered today for playing a particularly repellent overseer, but it was his role as a vicious killer stalking two children in a cave that really gave me nightmares as a kid.
VICTOR JORY

*A-19. MARK WAHLBERG

A-20. Being a direct descendant of a beloved hero of the American Revolution did not save this Oscar-winning character actress from the Hollywood Blacklist.
ANNE REVERE

A-21. “I'm somebody now, Harry. Everybody likes me. Soon, millions of people will see me and they'll all like me. I'll tell them about you, and your father, how good he was to us. Remember? It's a reason to get up in the morning. It's a reason to lose weight, to fit in the red dress. It's a reason to smile. It makes tomorrow all right.”

A-22. This performer is the youngest actor ever nominated for an Oscar in a leading role.
ADRIAN BRODY? JACKIE COOPER? JUSTIN HENRY?

*A-23. AL PACINO
A-24. JOHN DEREK

A-25. “So you're Lonesome's new tootsie, huh? ‘Lonesome,’ that's a hot one. I hope you have better luck keeping him lonesome than I did.”
PATRICIA NEAL? KAY MEDFORD?

A-26. After appearing in the last of her six films opposite the same leading man, she went on to play a wide variety of stage and screen roles for five decades, while he continued to play the same role six more times without her.
MYRNA LOY? MAUREEN O'SULLIVAN?

A-27. “There was a demon that lived in the air. They said whoever challenged him would die. Their controls would freeze up, their planes would buffet wildly, and they would disintegrate. The demon lived at Mach 1 on the meter, seven hundred and fifty miles an hour, where the air could no longer move out of the way. He lived behind a barrier through which they said no man could ever pass.”
SAM SHEPHERD?

A-28. In a 1997 television movie, he took on a role that had previously been played by Walter Abel and E.G. Marshall.
DUSTIN HOFFMAN

A-29. “You can sew almost anything into the canvas of a coat.”
DANIEL DAY LEWIS

A-30. In a few weeks – unless the Tangredi curse gets to her – this actress will turn ninety – which is considerably younger than the character she played on a creepy episode of The Twilight Zone.

A-31. “We're not just an uncle and a niece. It's something else. I know you. I know you don't tell people a lot of things. I don't either. I have a feeling that inside you there's something nobody knows about ... something secret and wonderful. I'll find it out.”
TERESA WRIGHT

A-32. For a time, this actress took on a new name when a bird was killed during the filming of one of her early movies and she felt the spirit of the bird enter her.
BARBARA HERSHEY

*A-33. DEBRA WINGER

A-34. When this distinguished Scottish-born stage actress took a role in a popular soap opera at the age of 58, it was only supposed to be for the duration of a single story line, but she was brought back by popular demand and was still playing the role when she died – 32 years later.
EILEEN HERLIE?

A-35. “We're the victims of a foul disease called social prejudice, my child. These dear ladies of the Law and Order League are scouring out the dregs of the town. Come on. Be a proud, glorified dreg like me.”
THOMAS MITCHELL

A-36. As far as I know, she was the only actress ever to play a nude love scene with Vincent Price’s wife.
SUSANNAH YORK

*A-37. EWAN McGREGOR

A-38. One of the oddest moments of this British actor’s career found him raising his voice in song with Bing Crosby and William Bendix. (William Bendix?)
CEDRIC HARDWICKE

A-39. “Níor lig mé m'fhear chéile isteach i mo leaba liom aréir. Chuir mé fuinneamh air a chodladh i - Ó, i mála codlata! Mála codlata!”
MAUREEN O’HARA

*A-40. CHUCK CONNORS

A-41. “Vince threw hot coffee in my face. I'm gonna' be scarred. The whole side of my face will be scarred.”
GLORIA GRAHAME

A-42. She is best known for her role on an action/sci fi program that – rather surprisingly – won her an Emmy as Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series.
GILLIAN ANDERSON? LINDSAY WAGNER?

*A-43. DAN AYKROYD

A-44. She was the second of three actresses to receive the Kennedy Center Honors in tandem with her husband.
ANNE BANCROFT? JESSICA TANDY?

A-45. “You're impossibly fast. And strong. Your skin is pale white, and ice cold. Your eyes change color and sometimes you speak like - like you're from a different time. You never eat or drink anything; you don't go into the sunlight. How old are you?”

A-46. He was in the midst of filming a Biblical epic when he died of a heart attack at the age of 44.
TYRONE POWER

A-47. “You know what Maria and me are gonna do out in the country? We're gonna have kids, lots of 'em, and name them all after you - even the girls.”
RICHARD BEYMER

A-48. This actress has played both the daughter of Robert Preston and – regrettably – the mother of Kevin James.
SHIRLEY KNIGHT?

A-49. “He's escaped from the insane asylum. Seven years ago he murdered two children, broke into the house and found them asleep in bed. There was a little boy, four and a half, and his little three year old sister. After the coroner's investigation, their bodies were taken to the mortuary where the undertaker took one look at them and said their bodies couldn't be reconstructed for the burial without six days of steady work. Then he asked what had been the murder weapon, because looking at the mess in front of him, he couldn't imagine what had been used. The coroner told him there had been no weapon, just his hands.”
DONALD PLEASANCE?

A-50. This actress has worked with both Charlie Chaplin and Woody Allen.
CLAIRE BLOOM

A-51. “This business of hating Jews comes in a lot of different sizes. There's the ‘you can't join our country club’ kind and ‘you can't live around here’ kind. Yes, and the ‘you can't work here’ kind. And because we stand for all of these, we get Monty's kind. He's just one guy, we don't get him very often, but he grows out of all the rest.”
ROBERT YOUNG

A-52. This Florida-born actor played the same role in all four installments of the first modern Batman franchise.
PAT HINGLE

A-53. “Top of the world, son!”
MARGARET WYCHERLY

A-54. He started out as a leading man – most notably opposite Greta Garbo – but the extensive neck scarring he suffered after being mauled on a movie set by a lion (I’m not making this up) forced him to move into character roles … quite successfully
CHARLES BICKFORD

A-55. “The first boy I ever kissed ended up in a coma for three weeks. I can still feel him inside my head.”
ANNA PAQUIN

A-56. This onetime ‘Queen of Off-Broadway’ made her screen debut in 1959 playing the Archangel Gabriel.
COLLEEN DEWHURST

A-57. “You tell your boys they better kill me, Bert. They better go all the way with me, 'cause if they just bust me up, I'll put all those pieces back together again, then so help me – so help me God, Bert, I'm gonna come back here and I'm gonna kill you.”
PAUL NEWMAN

A-58. There appears to be no evidence that this actress ever actually underwent the forced surgical procedure depicted in a 1982 biopic.
FRANCES FARMER

A-59. “Quid pro quo. I tell you things, you tell me things.”
ANTHONY HOPKINS

A-60. She has hosted the Tony Awards a record five times – which equals the number of times she has won the award.
ANGELA LANSBURY?

A-61. “Attention, attention must finally be paid to such a person!”
MILDRED DUNNOCK

A-62. Her first husband was an Irish actor with whom she has remained on amiable terms; her second husband was an American billionaire with whom she went through a very nasty divorce.

A-63. “Very pretty, Colonel, very pretty. But can they fight?”
DONALD SUTHERLAND

A-64. In 1969, she played the title role in a movie produced by her then-husband; they subsequently named their only child after the movie. (The marriage didn’t last and the child no longer goes by that name.)
CHER

A-65. “You're certainly a funny girl for anybody to meet who's just been up the Amazon for a year.”
HENRY FONDA

LIST B: MOVIES

B-1. GRAND HOTEL

B-2. This 2002 movie completes the following chronological list of Oscar nominees for Best Picture: Arrowsmith; Alice Adams; The Good Earth; Gone with the Wind; The Grapes of Wrath; The Magnificent Ambersons; The Yearling; All the King’s Men; The Caine Mutiny; To Kill a Mockingbird; The Color Purple.

B-3. GUNGA DIN
*B-4. I’LL CRY TOMORROW
B-5. CAST AWAY
B-6. CITY FOR CONQUEST
B-7. BORN YESTERDAY

B-8. It was the first film adapted from a work by arguably the most influential American novelist of the 20th century. (The second, eleven years later, starred the same leading man.)

*B-9. THE BIRDS
B-10. THE BUCCANEER

B-11. “Do you think they deserved to die?”
“Yes, they deserved to die and I hope they burn in hell!”

*B-12. ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD
B-13. WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY
B-14. CRIMES OF THE HEART

B-15. “You count the damn few times we have been together in nearly twenty years and you measure the short f**king leash you keep me on - and then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get. You have no idea how bad it gets!”

B-16. The real-life protagonist of this film had previously been the subject of an Oscar-winning documentary called The Titan.

B-17. SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE
B-18. THE GAY DIVORCEE
B-19. BRINGING UP BABY

B-20. This 1994 film was adapted from a 1953 play written by the father-in-law of one of the actors on List A.

B-21. BROADCAST NEWS

B-22. This classic piece of trash – based on an equally trashy best-seller – does have the distinction of earning someone the first of his 51 Oscar nominations.
VALLEY OF THE DOLLS?

B-23. “Who looks after your father? Tell me that. When something terrible happens, what does he do? Fends for himself, he does. Who does he tell about it? No one. Don't blab his troubles at home. He just pushes on at his job, uncomplaining and alone and silent.”
“He’s not very silent.”
MARY POPPINS

*B-24. WHITE DOG
B-25. PARENTHOOD

B-26. This 1951 movie completes the following chronological list of Oscar nominees for Best Picture: You Can’t Take It With You; Our Town; Picnic; Cat on a Hot Tin Roof; The Diary of Anne Frank; Driving Miss Daisy; Fences.

*B-27. THE BIG SHORT

B-28. Because the 1931 version of the 1925 novel had bombed, this 1951 remake was given a different title and all the characters’ names were changed. (It worked.)

B-29. “Well don't you expect me to come to one of your churches or one of those tent-revivals with all those Bible-beaters doin' God-only-knows-what! They'd probably make me eat a live chicken!”
“Not on your first visit!”

B-30. With a plot that anticipated the later – and far better – Roman Holiday, this romantic comedy nevertheless holds an important place in Hollywood history, leading as it did to a landmark legal decision.

B-31. 12 ANGRY MEN
B-32. THE SEVEN PERCENT SOLUTION
*B-33. AMERICANIZATION OF EMILY

B-34. This 1975 dystopian actioner was the first major Hollywood production to list the members of its stunt crew in the closing credits.
LOGAN’S RUN?

B-35. “I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here, everything is soft and smooth.”

B-36. According to Sydney Pollack, the more the leading lady of this film rehearsed and discussed, the better she got, while the more the leading man rehearsed and discussed, the staler he got – making it his job to figure out exactly how to catch them both at their best.
OUT OF AFRICA?

B-37. "Where I came from, nobody knows/And where I am going, everyone goes."
PORTRAIT OF JENNIE

B-38. This was the first Disney animated feature to spawn a sequel – thirteen years later.
THE RESCUERS?

B-39. “I'll be back! Ha! You didn't know I was gonna say that, did you?”
“That's what you always say!”
“I do?”
LAST ACTION HERO?

B-40. THE 39 STEPS

TANGREDI:
Actor in List A plays the son, daughter or parent of an Oscar-winning actor, who’s also in a movie in List B.

MATCHES

A-40. CHUCK CONNORS was the son of Burl Ives (B-24. WHITE DOG) The Big Country
A-43. DAN AYKROYD was the son of Jessica Tandy (B-9. THE BIRDS) in Driving Miss Daisy
A-8. NICK NOLTE was the son of James Coburn (B-33. AMERICANIZATION OF EMILY) in Affliction
A-19. MARK WAHLBERG was the son of Melissa Leo (B-27. THE BIG SHORT) in The Fighter
A-4. JAMES DEAN was the son of Jo Van Fleet (B-4. I’LL CRY TOMORROW) in East of Eden
A-37. EWAN McGREGOR was the son of Christopher Plummer (B-12. ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD) in Beginners

PARTIALS

A-23. AL PACINO was the son of Marlon Brando in The Godfather
A-33. DEBRA WINGER was the daughter of Shirley MacLaine in Terms of Endearment
Last edited by jarnon on Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

silverscreenselect

#28 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:33 am

Anthony Hopkins was Katharine Hepburn's son in The Lion in Winter, and Hepburn was in Bringing Up Baby.

mellytu74

#29 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:33 am

silverscreenselect wrote:I think I've figured it out.

Chuck Connors was Burl Ives' son in Ives' Oscar winning role in The Big Country. Ives also appeared in White Dog.
Dan Aykroyd was Jessica Tandy's son in Driving Miss Daisy, and Tandy was in The Birds

Others:

Nick Nolte was James Coburn's son in Affliction and Coburn was in The Americanization of Emily

A-37 is Ewan McGregor, who was Christopher Plummer's son in Beginners; Plummer appears in All the Money in the World.
Adding some more

A-16. NIGEL HAVERS, son of Peggy Ashcroft (B-40. THE 39 STEPS) in A Passage tom India
A-46. TYRONE POWER, son of Alice Brady (B-18. THE GAY DIVORCEE) in In Old Chicago
A-10. JOHN HEARD, son of Geraldine Page (B-38. THE RESCUERS) in A Trip to Bountiful
A-59. ANTHONY HOPKINS, son of Katharine Hepburn in B-19. (BRINGING UP BABY) in A Lion in Winter
A-22. JACKIE COOPER, son of Wallace Beery (B-1. GRAND HOTEL) in The Champ

Has to be Cooper - Brody is youngest winner, Henry was in supporting category)

and the OTHER way

A-9. WALTER HUSTON, father of Jimmy Cagney (B-6. CITY FOR CONQUEST) in Yankee Doodle Dandy
A-53. MARGARET WYCHERLY, mother of Jimmy Cagney(B-6. CITY FOR CONQUEST) in White Heat

silverscreenselect

#30 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:43 am

Someone already noted that Donald Sutherland played Timothy Hutton's father in Ordinary People.

And Pat Hingle was Sally Field's father in Norma Rae.

mellytu74

#31 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:49 am

A couple more before I go off and write

A-1. CARY GRANT, son of Ethel Barrymore (B-37. PORTRAIT OF JENNIE) in None But the Lonely Heart

A-26. MAUREEN O'SULLIVAN, mother of Dianne Weist (B-25. PARENTHOOD) in Hannah and Her Sisters

Here's the Jo Van Fleet movie

A-4. JAMES DEAN, son of Jo Van fleet (B-4. I’LL CRY TOMORROW) in East of Eden

Ideas:

A Vivien Leigh movie for Thomas Mitchell (her dad in GWTW)
An Elizabeth Taylor movie (or an Angela Lansbury movie) for Anne Revere in National Velvet
A Frederic March movie for Teresa Wright (dad in Best Years of Our Lives)
A Donald Crisp movie for Maureen O'Hara (daughter in How Green Was My Valley)

mellytu74

#32 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:50 am

B-29. “Well don't you expect me to come to one of your churches or one of those tent-revivals with all those Bible-beaters doin' God-only-knows-what! They'd probably make me eat a live chicken!”

Is this STEEL MAGNOLIAS?

If it is, it gives us Sally Field and Shirley McLaine for Pat Hingle and Debra winger, respectively

And we need a Melvyn Douglas movie to go with paul Newman (Douglas's Oscar for Hud).

Pastor Fireball

#33 Post by Pastor Fireball » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:54 am

A-42. LINDSAY WAGNER was John Houseman's daughter in The Paper Chase.
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

silverscreenselect

#34 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:08 am

I'm not sure how Frank is doing this, but Holly Hunter and Anna Paquin both won Oscars as mother/daughter in The Piano, and Hunter was in Broadcast News. There may be a Paquin movie somewhere as well.

silverscreenselect

#35 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:10 am

A-62. Her first husband was an Irish actor with whom she has remained on amiable terms; her second husband was an American billionaire with whom she went through a very nasty divorce.

ELLEN BARKIN

franktangredi

#36 Post by franktangredi » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:31 am

silverscreenselect wrote:I'm not sure how Frank is doing this, but Holly Hunter and Anna Paquin both won Oscars as mother/daughter in The Piano, and Hunter was in Broadcast News. There may be a Paquin movie somewhere as well.
This came up a couple of times. I simply had to choose one or the other to avoid confusion.

mellytu74

#37 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:24 am

silverscreenselect wrote:A-62. Her first husband was an Irish actor with whom she has remained on amiable terms; her second husband was an American billionaire with whom she went through a very nasty divorce.

ELLEN BARKIN

Robert Duvall's daughter in Tender Mercies

silverscreenselect

#38 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:33 am

Victor Jory was Patty Duke's father in The Miracle Worker, and Duke was later in Valley of the Dolls.

mellytu74

#39 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:19 pm

Could this be Streetcar Named Desire?

It gives is Brando to complete Al Pacino and Vivien Leigh to complete Thomas Mitchell.

mellytu74

#40 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:29 pm

Partials

A-14. GLADYS COOPER, mother of Rex Harrison in My Fair Lady
A-11. CARRIE FISHER, daughter of Lee Grant in Shampoo
A-12. MARTHA SCOTT, mother of Charlton Heston in The Ten Commandments

A-27. “There was a demon that lived in the air. They said whoever challenged him would die. Their controls would freeze up, their planes would buffet wildly, and they would disintegrate. The demon lived at Mach 1 on the meter, seven hundred and fifty miles an hour, where the air could no longer move out of the way. He lived behind a barrier through which they said no man could ever pass.”

It's The Right stuff, but it's the Narrator. LEVON HELM

A-27. LEVON HELM, father of Sissy Spacek (B-14. CRIMES OF THE HEART) in Coal Miner's Daughter.

I bet we have Charles Durning in her someplace, too, to give us Jessica Lange (B-14. CRIMES OF THE HEART) in Tootsie.

mellytu74

#41 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:34 pm

A-62.ELLEN BARKIN, daughter of Robert Duvall (B-32. THE SEVEN PERCENT SOLUTION) in Tender Mercies
A-34. EILEEN HERLIE, mother of Laurence Olivier (B-32 THE SEVEN PERCENT SOLUTION) in Hamlet

A-5. NORMA SHEARER, daughter of Lionel Barrymore (B-1. GRAND HOTEL) in A Free Soul

mellytu74

#42 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:41 pm

mellytu74 wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:I think I've figured it out.

Others:

Adding some more

A-16. NIGEL HAVERS, son of Peggy Ashcroft (B-40. THE 39 STEPS) in A Passage tom India
A-46. TYRONE POWER, son of Alice Brady (B-18. THE GAY DIVORCEE) in In Old Chicago
A-10. JOHN HEARD, son of Geraldine Page (B-38. THE RESCUERS) in A Trip to Bountiful
A-59. ANTHONY HOPKINS, son of Katharine Hepburn in B-19. (BRINGING UP BABY) in A Lion in Winter
A-22. JACKIE COOPER, son of Wallace Beery (B-1. GRAND HOTEL) in The Champ

Has to be Cooper - Brody is youngest winner, Henry was in supporting category)

and the OTHER way

A-9. WALTER HUSTON, father of Jimmy Cagney (B-6. CITY FOR CONQUEST) in Yankee Doodle Dandy
A-53. MARGARET WYCHERLY, mother of Jimmy Cagney(B-6. CITY FOR CONQUEST) in White Heat
I am an idiot. Cagney didn't WIN an Oscar for White Heat.

A-53 MARGARET WYCHERLY is here for Gary Cooper in Sergeant York. I don't see a Cooper film off the top of my head but there's one here, I am sure.

silverscreenselect

#43 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:49 pm

Martin Sheen was Jack Albertson's son in The Subject Was Roses
and as mentioned, Richard Beymer was Shelley Winters son in The Diary of Anne Frank

mellytu74

#44 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:58 pm

mellytu74 wrote:A-9. WALTER HUSTON, father of Jimmy Cagney (B-6. CITY FOR CONQUEST) in Yankee Doodle Dandy

I am an idiot. Cagney didn't WIN an Oscar for White Heat.

A-53 MARGARET WYCHERLY is here for Gary Cooper in Sergeant York. I don't see a Cooper film off the top of my head but there's one here, I am sure.
B-8. It was the first film adapted from a work by arguably the most influential American novelist of the 20th century. (The second, eleven years later, starred the same leading man.)

How about A FAREWELL TO ARMS. the second would be For Whom the Bell Tolls and gives us Gary Cooper.

A-56. COLLEEN DEWHURST, mother of Diane Keaton (B-14. CRIMES OF THE HEART) in Annie Hall. (second use and as I said, doubtless also here for Durning/Lange for the third use)

mellytu74

#45 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:04 pm

Mildred Dunnock was Liz Taylor's mother in Butterfield 8.

So, there's got to be a Taylor movie here - one for her Butterfield 8 Oscar and for Anne Revere's National Velvet Oscar.

I just realized that can't work that way.

Anne Revere is mother of Jennifer Jones (Portrait of Jennie) in Song of Bernadette

Mildred Dunnock is mother of Liz Taylor (??) in Butterfield 8

Really, I need to get back to work.

mellytu74

#46 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:20 pm

B-30. With a plot that anticipated the later – and far better – Roman Holiday, this romantic comedy nevertheless holds an important place in Hollywood history, leading as it did to a landmark legal decision.

I just realized that this is probably Princess O'Rourke. Which is one of the films that caused Olivia deHaviland's suspension.

Gives us

A-2. RALPH RICHARDSON, father of Olivia deHaviland (B-30. PRINCESS O'ROURKE) in The Heiress
A-54. CHARLES BICKFORD, father of Jane Wyman (B-30 PRINCESS O'ROURKE) in Johnny Belinda

jarnon

#47 Post by jarnon » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:01 pm

I’m pleased this game’s a bit easier. It may be finished in record time! I’m using this lull to update the consolidation…

Identify the 65 actors in List A and the 40 movies in List B. (Every other clue is a quotation.) Then, form 66 pairs, each consisting of one movie and one actor, according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself. The same basic Tangredi applies to all pairs, but some of them go one way and some of them go the other way. You’ll see.

One actor will be used twice.

Sixteen movies will be used twice and five movies will be used three times.

There will be no alternate answers.

LIST A: ACTORS

*A-1. CARY GRANT
*A-2. RALPH RICHARDSON
*A-3. MARTIN SHEEN
*A-4. JAMES DEAN
*A-5. NORMA SHEARER

A-6. This actor appeared in the last film of a trilogy about a popular superhero and the first film in a continuing franchise about a popular doll.

A-7. “He knew what I was even before I did. The morning I left for college, he walked into my room and held out his hand and it was filled with money, a big sweaty wad of money, and he said, ‘Take this and I don't want you ever to come back.’ I grabbed him and hugged him and he turned around and walked out. I haven't seen him or talked to him since.”

*A-8. NICK NOLTE

A-9. “Let me tell you something, my two fine bedfellows, you're so dumb, there's nothin' to compare ya with! You're dumber than the dumbest jackass. Look at each other, will ya? Did you ever see anything like yourself for bein' dumb specimens? You're so dumb, you don't even see the riches you're treadin' on with your own feet.”
WALTER HUSTON

*A-10. JOHN HEARD
*A-11. CARRIE FISHER
*A-12. MARTHA SCOTT

A-13. “Josh? He's nobody's boyfriend. He's just this guy that Becky and I like to torture.”

*A-14. GLADYS COOPER

A-15. “Gretchen, I'm sorry I laughed at you that time you got diarrhea at Barnes & Nobles…. And I'm sorry for telling everyone about it…. And I'm sorry for repeating it now.”
AMANDA SEYFRIED

*A-16. NIGEL HAVERS

A-17. “You think I would let my kids near you? Look at yourself! You know what my lawyer said? My lawyer said that you're going to prison for 20 years, Jordan! Twenty f**king years! You're never gonna see the kids again! No, I'm not f**king letting you near my kids!”

*A-18. VICTOR JORY
*A-19. MARK WAHLBERG
*A-20. ANNE REVERE

A-21. “I'm somebody now, Harry. Everybody likes me. Soon, millions of people will see me and they'll all like me. I'll tell them about you, and your father, how good he was to us. Remember? It's a reason to get up in the morning. It's a reason to lose weight, to fit in the red dress. It's a reason to smile. It makes tomorrow all right.”

*A-22. JACKIE COOPER
*A-23. AL PACINO
A-24. JOHN DEREK

A-25. “So you're Lonesome's new tootsie, huh? ‘Lonesome,’ that's a hot one. I hope you have better luck keeping him lonesome than I did.”
PATRICIA NEAL? KAY MEDFORD?

*A-26. MAUREEN O'SULLIVAN
*A-27. LEVON HELM

A-28. In a 1997 television movie, he took on a role that had previously been played by Walter Abel and E.G. Marshall.
DUSTIN HOFFMAN

A-29. “You can sew almost anything into the canvas of a coat.”
DANIEL DAY LEWIS

A-30. In a few weeks – unless the Tangredi curse gets to her – this actress will turn ninety – which is considerably younger than the character she played on a creepy episode of The Twilight Zone.

*A-31. TERESA WRIGHT

A-32. For a time, this actress took on a new name when a bird was killed during the filming of one of her early movies and she felt the spirit of the bird enter her.
BARBARA HERSHEY

*A-33. DEBRA WINGER
*A-34. EILEEN HERLIE
*A-35. THOMAS MITCHELL

A-36. As far as I know, she was the only actress ever to play a nude love scene with Vincent Price’s wife.
SUSANNAH YORK

*A-37. EWAN McGREGOR

A-38. One of the oddest moments of this British actor’s career found him raising his voice in song with Bing Crosby and William Bendix. (William Bendix?)
CEDRIC HARDWICKE

*A-39. MAUREEN O’HARA
*A-40. CHUCK CONNORS

A-41. “Vince threw hot coffee in my face. I'm gonna' be scarred. The whole side of my face will be scarred.”
GLORIA GRAHAME

*A-42. LINDSAY WAGNER
*A-43. DAN AYKROYD

A-44. She was the second of three actresses to receive the Kennedy Center Honors in tandem with her husband.
ANNE BANCROFT? JESSICA TANDY?

A-45. “You're impossibly fast. And strong. Your skin is pale white, and ice cold. Your eyes change color and sometimes you speak like - like you're from a different time. You never eat or drink anything; you don't go into the sunlight. How old are you?”

*A-46. TYRONE POWER
*A-47. RICHARD BEYMER

A-48. This actress has played both the daughter of Robert Preston and – regrettably – the mother of Kevin James.
SHIRLEY KNIGHT?

A-49. “He's escaped from the insane asylum. Seven years ago he murdered two children, broke into the house and found them asleep in bed. There was a little boy, four and a half, and his little three year old sister. After the coroner's investigation, their bodies were taken to the mortuary where the undertaker took one look at them and said their bodies couldn't be reconstructed for the burial without six days of steady work. Then he asked what had been the murder weapon, because looking at the mess in front of him, he couldn't imagine what had been used. The coroner told him there had been no weapon, just his hands.”
DONALD PLEASANCE?

A-50. This actress has worked with both Charlie Chaplin and Woody Allen.
CLAIRE BLOOM

A-51. “This business of hating Jews comes in a lot of different sizes. There's the ‘you can't join our country club’ kind and ‘you can't live around here’ kind. Yes, and the ‘you can't work here’ kind. And because we stand for all of these, we get Monty's kind. He's just one guy, we don't get him very often, but he grows out of all the rest.”
ROBERT YOUNG

A-52. This Florida-born actor played the same role in all four installments of the first modern Batman franchise.
PAT HINGLE

*A-53. MARGARET WYCHERLY
*A-54. CHARLES BICKFORD
A-55. ANNA PAQUIN
*A-56. COLLEEN DEWHURST
*A-57. PAUL NEWMAN

A-58. There appears to be no evidence that this actress ever actually underwent the forced surgical procedure depicted in a 1982 biopic.
FRANCES FARMER

*A-59. ANTHONY HOPKINS

A-60. She has hosted the Tony Awards a record five times – which equals the number of times she has won the award.
ANGELA LANSBURY?

*A-61. MILDRED DUNNOCK
*A-62. ELLEN BARKIN
*A-63. DONALD SUTHERLAND

A-64. In 1969, she played the title role in a movie produced by her then-husband; they subsequently named their only child after the movie. (The marriage didn’t last and the child no longer goes by that name.)
CHER

A-65. “You're certainly a funny girl for anybody to meet who's just been up the Amazon for a year.”
HENRY FONDA

LIST B: MOVIES

**B-1. GRAND HOTEL

B-2. This 2002 movie completes the following chronological list of Oscar nominees for Best Picture: Arrowsmith; Alice Adams; The Good Earth; Gone with the Wind; The Grapes of Wrath; The Magnificent Ambersons; The Yearling; All the King’s Men; The Caine Mutiny; To Kill a Mockingbird; The Color Purple.

B-3. GUNGA DIN
*B-4. I’LL CRY TOMORROW
B-5. CAST AWAY
B-6. CITY FOR CONQUEST
B-7. BORN YESTERDAY

A FAREWELL TO ARMS

*B-9. THE BIRDS
B-10. THE BUCCANEER

B-11. “Do you think they deserved to die?”
“Yes, they deserved to die and I hope they burn in hell!”

*B-12. ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD
B-13. WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY
**B-14. CRIMES OF THE HEART

B-15. “You count the damn few times we have been together in nearly twenty years and you measure the short f**king leash you keep me on - and then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get. You have no idea how bad it gets!”

B-16. The real-life protagonist of this film had previously been the subject of an Oscar-winning documentary called The Titan.

B-17. SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE
*B-18. THE GAY DIVORCEE
*B-19. BRINGING UP BABY

B-20. This 1994 film was adapted from a 1953 play written by the father-in-law of one of the actors on List A.

B-21. BROADCAST NEWS
*B-22. VALLEY OF THE DOLLS

B-23. “Who looks after your father? Tell me that. When something terrible happens, what does he do? Fends for himself, he does. Who does he tell about it? No one. Don't blab his troubles at home. He just pushes on at his job, uncomplaining and alone and silent.”
“He’s not very silent.”
MARY POPPINS

*B-24. WHITE DOG
*B-25. PARENTHOOD

B-26. This 1951 movie completes the following chronological list of Oscar nominees for Best Picture: You Can’t Take It With You; Our Town; Picnic; Cat on a Hot Tin Roof; The Diary of Anne Frank; Driving Miss Daisy; Fences.

*B-27. THE BIG SHORT

B-28. Because the 1931 version of the 1925 novel had bombed, this 1951 remake was given a different title and all the characters’ names were changed. (It worked.)

STEEL MAGNOLIAS?

**B-30. PRINCESS O'ROURKE
B-31. 12 ANGRY MEN
**B-32. THE SEVEN PERCENT SOLUTION
*B-33. AMERICANIZATION OF EMILY

B-34. This 1975 dystopian actioner was the first major Hollywood production to list the members of its stunt crew in the closing credits.
LOGAN’S RUN?

B-35. “I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here, everything is soft and smooth.”

B-36. According to Sydney Pollack, the more the leading lady of this film rehearsed and discussed, the better she got, while the more the leading man rehearsed and discussed, the staler he got – making it his job to figure out exactly how to catch them both at their best.
OUT OF AFRICA?

**B-37. PORTRAIT OF JENNIE
*B-38. THE RESCUERS

B-39. “I'll be back! Ha! You didn't know I was gonna say that, did you?”
“That's what you always say!”
“I do?”
LAST ACTION HERO?

*B-40. THE 39 STEPS

TANGREDI:
Actor in List A plays the son, daughter or parent of an Oscar-winning actor, who’s also in a movie in List B.

MATCHES

A-40. CHUCK CONNORS was the son of Burl Ives (B-24. WHITE DOG) The Big Country
A-43. DAN AYKROYD was the son of Jessica Tandy (B-9. THE BIRDS) in Driving Miss Daisy
A-8. NICK NOLTE was the son of James Coburn (B-33. AMERICANIZATION OF EMILY) in Affliction
A-19. MARK WAHLBERG was the son of Melissa Leo (B-27. THE BIG SHORT) in The Fighter
A-4. JAMES DEAN was the son of Jo Van Fleet (B-4. I’LL CRY TOMORROW) in East of Eden
A-37. EWAN McGREGOR was the son of Christopher Plummer (B-12. ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD) in Beginners
A-59. ANTHONY HOPKINS was the son of Katharine Hepburn (B-19. BRINGING UP BABY) in The Lion in Winter
A-16. NIGEL HAVERS was the son of Peggy Ashcroft (B-40. THE 39 STEPS) in A Passage to India
A-46. TYRONE POWER was son of Alice Brady (B-18. THE GAY DIVORCEE) in In Old Chicago
A-10. JOHN HEARD was the son of Geraldine Page (B-38. THE RESCUERS) in A Trip to Bountiful
A-22. JACKIE COOPER was the son of Wallace Beery (B-1. GRAND HOTEL) in The Champ
A-1. CARY GRANT was the son of Ethel Barrymore (B-37. PORTRAIT OF JENNIE) in None But the Lonely Heart
A-26. MAUREEN O'SULLIVAN was the mother of Dianne Weist (B-25. PARENTHOOD) in Hannah and Her Sisters
A-18. VICTOR JORY was the father of Patty Duke (B-22. VALLEY OF THE DOLLS) in The Miracle Worker
A-27. LEVON HELM was the father of Sissy Spacek (B-14. CRIMES OF THE HEART) in Coal Miner's Daughter.
A-62. ELLEN BARKIN was the daughter of Robert Duvall (B-32. THE SEVEN PERCENT SOLUTION) in Tender Mercies
A-34. EILEEN HERLIE was the mother of Laurence Olivier (B-32. THE SEVEN PERCENT SOLUTION) in Hamlet
A-5. NORMA SHEARER was the daughter of Lionel Barrymore (B-1. GRAND HOTEL) in A Free Soul
A-56. COLLEEN DEWHURST was the mother of Diane Keaton (B-14. CRIMES OF THE HEART) in Annie Hall
A-20. ANNE REVERE was the mother of Jennifer Jones (B-37. PORTRAIT OF JENNIE) in Song of Bernadette
A-2. RALPH RICHARDSON was the father of Olivia deHaviland (B-30. PRINCESS O'ROURKE) in The Heiress
A-54. CHARLES BICKFORD was the father of Jane Wyman (B-30 PRINCESS O'ROURKE) in Johnny Belinda

PARTIALS

A-23. AL PACINO was the son of Marlon Brando in The Godfather
A-33. DEBRA WINGER was the daughter of Shirley MacLaine in Terms of Endearment
A-35. THOMAS MITCHELL was the father of Vivien Leigh in Gone With the Wind
A-63. DONALD SUTHERLAND was the father of Timothy Hutton in Ordinary People.
A-31. TERESA WRIGHT was the daughter of Frederic March in The Best Years of Our Lives
A-39. MAUREEN O’HARA was the daughter of Donald Crisp in How Green Was My Valley
A-57. PAUL NEWMAN was the son of Melvyn Douglas in Hud
A-42. LINDSAY WAGNER was the daughter of John Houseman in The Paper Chase
A-14. GLADYS COOPER was the mother of Rex Harrison in My Fair Lady
A-11. CARRIE FISHER was the daughter of Lee Grant in Shampoo
A-12. MARTHA SCOTT was the mother of Charlton Heston in The Ten Commandments
A-53 MARGARET WYCHERLY was the mother of Gary Cooper in Sergeant York
A-3. MARTIN SHEEN was the son of Jack Albertson in The Subject Was Roses
A-47. RICHARD BEYMER was the son of Shelley Winters in The Diary of Anne Frank
A-61. MILDRED DUNNOCK was the mother of Liz Taylor in Butterfield 8
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

jarnon

#48 Post by jarnon » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:09 pm

KRISTEN STEWART
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

mellytu74

#49 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:11 pm

I screwed up - Martha Scott is Ben Hur, not Ten Commandments

silverscreenselect

#50 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:14 pm

Logan's Run is 1976. I think this is ROLLERBALL, which would be the link to John Houseman.