Facebook identifies a new influence campaign

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Facebook identifies a new influence campaign

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:04 pm

Facebook released a detailed statement today stating that it has identified and removed a number of pages and profiles for coordinated inauthentic activity. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Estonut
Evil Genius

Re: Facebook identifies a new influence campaign

#2 Post by Estonut » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:47 pm

The third paragraph contains a line that should have been phrased better, "But security is not something that’s ever done."
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

silverscreenselect

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:46 pm

Estonut wrote:The third paragraph contains a line that should have been phrased better, "But security is not something that’s ever done."
I won't put this in Frank's thread because I don't want to mess up his game, but answering my question about Streetcar Named Desire with a non-answer gratuitous slur of me is low, even by your minimal standards.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#4 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:58 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Estonut wrote:The third paragraph contains a line that should have been phrased better, "But security is not something that’s ever done."
I won't put this in Frank's thread because I don't want to mess up his game, but answering my question about Streetcar Named Desire with a non-answer gratuitous slur of me is low, even by your minimal standards.
I read the post and (using the Moderator Log) confirmed that it hasn't been edited. Esto's post was an answer to your question. (How can Streetcar complete this list? Because you can complete a list in other ways than inserting an entry at the end of the list.) And it wasn't a slur.

I've certainly had my issues with Esto but in this case I think you owe him an apology. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#5 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:59 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
I read the post and (using the Moderator Log) confirmed that it hasn't been edited. Esto's post was an answer to your question. (How can Streetcar complete this list? Because you can complete a list in other ways than inserting an entry at the end of the list.) And it wasn't a slur.

I've certainly had my issues with Esto but in this case I think you owe him an apology. --Bob

I was just looking into this myself and was wondering what SSS was referring to...

lb13

Edited to add: I don't think the Moderator Log shows edits of your own posts. Let's test it...
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#6 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:05 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:Edited to add: I don't think the Moderator Log shows edits of your own posts. Let's test it...

It does not...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#7 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:16 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:Edited to add: I don't think the Moderator Log shows edits of your own posts. Let's test it...

It does not...

lb13
That's good to know. But Frank quoted Esto's post, apparently in full, 12 minutes after Esto posted and significantly before SSS posted here, so I think we still have evidence that what we see now is what SSS saw then. --Bob

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#8 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:20 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:

It does not...

lb13
That's good to know. But Frank quoted Esto's post, apparently in full, 12 minutes after Esto posted and significantly before SSS posted here, so I think we still have evidence that what we see now is what SSS saw then. --Bob

I noticed the timing as well. I also think Frank, who wants everyone to play nice in his game (and life in general), would have made specific note had there been a nasty name in Esto's post. So I, too, am curious as to what SSS is referring to...

lb13

silverscreenselect

#9 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:39 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:

I noticed the timing as well. I also think Frank, who wants everyone to play nice in his game (and life in general), would have made specific note had there been a nasty name in Esto's post. So I, too, am curious as to what SSS is referring to...

lb13
I never said there was a nasty name. I took the post as one of Esto's snarky non-answers directed at me when I was honestly perplexed and intrigued as to how the answer fit into that particular clue (which Frank did answer a few minutes later with a reference to Pulitzer Prize winning plays).

I don't mind these sort of things in political threads, where it's pretty much par for the course, but I felt it was out of place in Frank's puzzle. Apparently, I'm in a minority of one on this issue, so I'm not going to go any farther on this.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#10 Post by Estonut » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:46 am

WTF is wrong with you?
Estonut wrote:
mellytu74 wrote:B-26. This 1951 movie completes the following chronological list of Oscar nominees for Best Picture: You Can’t Take It With You; Our Town; Picnic; Cat on a Hot Tin Roof; The Diary of Anne Frank; Driving Miss Daisy; Fences.

STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE
How does Streetcar complete a chronological list of movies that end with a movie from two years ago?
Completing a list does not specifically mean that a new list entry is going into the last position.
I thought you were asking how a movie from 1951 completes a list that ends with a movie from 2016. I thought I was absolutely clear and correct in stating that "completing a list" does not necessarily mean "adding the last entry to a list," just as others have read it.

How do you conceivably misinterpret my response as "a non-answer gratuitous slur of you?"
Groucho Marx

silverscreenselect

#11 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:30 am

Estonut wrote: How do you conceivably misinterpret my response as "a non-answer gratuitous slur of you?"
What I wanted to know was what Streetcar had in common with the other names on the list, and why it was being placed last in a chronological list after Fences, a movie from two years ago. Frank answered those questions a few minutes after your post.

What I took your answer for was a snarky non-answer that was intended as a dig at me. Par for the course for a lot of people on both sides of the spectrum on political threads but not something I would expect in one of Frank's puzzles, which is why I got upset and also took my response out of the puzzle thread. Since I appear to have overreacted here, I apologize.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#12 Post by Estonut » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:45 pm

Estonut wrote: How do you conceivably misinterpret my response as "a non-answer gratuitous slur of you?"
What I wanted to know was what Streetcar had in common with the other names on the list
You didn't ask that. I knew they were all Pulitzer Prize winners, but wasn't positive about AA nominations.
silverscreenselect wrote:..., and why it was being placed last in a chronological list after Fences, a movie from two years ago. Frank answered those questions a few minutes after your post.
This is exactly what I answered in my post.
silverscreenselect wrote:What I took your answer for was a snarky non-answer that was intended as a dig at me.
How could you see that as a non-answer? What was the "slur" that you alleged I had made?
silverscreenselect wrote:Since I appear to have overreacted here, I apologize.
Since you have previously stated that you are never wrong, I'm not sure about your sincerity here. I will play along and accept your apology.

Perhaps this can be a teachable moment for you. When you read everything through your hyper-partisan filter, you might get things wrong on occasion.

ETC: "hade" to "had"
Last edited by Estonut on Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Groucho Marx

BackInTex

#13 Post by BackInTex » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:03 pm

We finally learn what the middle S stands for: Snowflake
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#14 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:07 am

BackInTex wrote:We finally learn what the middle S stands for: Snowflake
Now that's an unprovoked slur. --Bob

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#15 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:56 am

Bob78164 wrote:

LOL!

lb13

BackInTex

#16 Post by BackInTex » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:40 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

LOL!

lb13
I don't think Bob intended his response to be humorous. If so, his delivery was terrible.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#17 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:28 am

Well, at least the commenting here doesn't get to this level:

https://gizmodo.com/when-a-stranger-dec ... c-90284689

BackInTex

#18 Post by BackInTex » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:34 am

Best line
If you’ve ever argued with someone online, you’re probably not surprised to hear that neither person was convinced by the other person’s arguments.
~~ Thomas Jefferson