Game #183: Producers and Productions

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
mellytu74

Re: Game #183: Producers and Productions

#76 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:52 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Pastor Fireball wrote:B-2. This 2002 movie completes the following chronological list of Oscar nominees for Best Picture: Arrowsmith; Alice Adams; The Good Earth; Gone with the Wind; The Grapes of Wrath; The Magnificent Ambersons; The Yearling; All the King’s Men; The Caine Mutiny; To Kill a Mockingbird; The Color Purple.

I think all of these novels won the Pulitzer Prize. If so, then the answer is THE HOURS.
Julianne Moore was in The Hours, and Kristen Stewart played her daughter in Still Alice.
And The Hours gives us our Allison Janney movie, too.

Pastor Fireball

#77 Post by Pastor Fireball » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:55 am

A-13. “Josh? He's nobody's boyfriend. He's just this guy that Becky and I like to torture.”

This was THORA BIRCH in Ghost World.

She gives us our American Beauty connection to Kevin Spacey and, in turn, our second usage of B-11.
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

Appa23

#78 Post by Appa23 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:01 pm

mellytu74 wrote:One of the two with questions marks is wrong.

Since A-60 is right....

A-60. ANGELA LANSBURY was the daughter of Anne Revere ((B-28. A PLACE IN THE SUN) in National Velvet.

This can't be.

A-49. “He's escaped from the insane asylum. Seven years ago he murdered two children, broke into the house and found them asleep in bed. There was a little boy, four and a half, and his little three year old sister. After the coroner's investigation, their bodies were taken to the mortuary where the undertaker took one look at them and said their bodies couldn't be reconstructed for the burial without six days of steady work. Then he asked what had been the murder weapon, because looking at the mess in front of him, he couldn't imagine what had been used. The coroner told him there had been no weapon, just his hands.”

DONALD PLEASANCE?

Could this be the missing Charles Durning for Jessica Lange (Crimes of the Heart) and Tootsie?

If not this, he HAS to be someplace.

It's too good to miss, with the movie having three winners.
Yes. "When a Stranger Calls".

When I drop by and look, I try to figure out that superhero tro=ilogy, popular doll trilogy. I was trying to figure out popular dolls in real life that have had feature film trilogies, but could not think of any. My guess was that this was a reference to "Toy Story", as Woody (or Buzz) could be considered to be popular dolls within the context of the movie. Unfortunately, popular superhero trilogies would leave us Superman, Batman / Dark Knight, Spider-Man, Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, and Wolverine, at a minimum.

silverscreenselect

#79 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:26 pm

A-28. In a 1997 television movie, he took on a role that had previously been played by Walter Abel and E.G. Marshall.

I did finally break down and look. This is Armin Mueller-Stahl, who was Geoffrey Rush's father in Shine, and Rush was in Shakespeare in Love.

The popular doll is a franchise, not a trilogy, and the only one I can think of that can be described as a franchise is the Child's Play Chucky movies. But I can't make any of the actors in the first film work.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

franktangredi

#80 Post by franktangredi » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:49 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:A-28. In a 1997 television movie, he took on a role that had previously been played by Walter Abel and E.G. Marshall.

I did finally break down and look. This is Armin Mueller-Stahl, who was Geoffrey Rush's father in Shine, and Rush was in Shakespeare in Love.

The popular doll is a franchise, not a trilogy, and the only one I can think of that can be described as a franchise is the Child's Play Chucky movies. But I can't make any of the actors in the first film work.
Some people might be very indignant at my calling it a doll.

jarnon

#81 Post by jarnon » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:23 pm

Updated consolidation…

Identify the 65 actors in List A and the 40 movies in List B. (Every other clue is a quotation.) Then, form 66 pairs, each consisting of one movie and one actor, according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself. The same basic Tangredi applies to all pairs, but some of them go one way and some of them go the other way. You’ll see.

One actor will be used twice.

Sixteen movies will be used twice and five movies will be used three times.

There will be no alternate answers.

LIST A: ACTORS

*A-1. CARY GRANT
*A-2. RALPH RICHARDSON
*A-3. MARTIN SHEEN
*A-4. JAMES DEAN
*A-5. NORMA SHEARER

A-6. This actor appeared in the last film of a trilogy about a popular superhero and the first film in a continuing franchise about a popular doll.

A-7. “He knew what I was even before I did. The morning I left for college, he walked into my room and held out his hand and it was filled with money, a big sweaty wad of money, and he said, ‘Take this and I don't want you ever to come back.’ I grabbed him and hugged him and he turned around and walked out. I haven't seen him or talked to him since.”

*A-8. NICK NOLTE
A-9. WALTER HUSTON
*A-10. JOHN HEARD
*A-11. CARRIE FISHER
*A-12. MARTHA SCOTT
*A-13. THORA BIRCH
*A-14. GLADYS COOPER
*A-15. AMANDA SEYFRIED
*A-16. NIGEL HAVERS
*A-17. MARGOT ROBBIE
*A-18. VICTOR JORY
*A-19. MARK WAHLBERG
*A-20. ANNE REVERE
*A-21. ELLEN BURSTYN
*A-22. JACKIE COOPER
*A-23. AL PACINO
*A-24. JOHN DEREK
*A-25. KAY MEDFORD
*A-26. MAUREEN O'SULLIVAN
*A-27. LEVON HELM
*A-28. ARMIN MUELLER-STAHL
*A-29. DANIEL DAY LEWIS
*A-30. ANN BLYTH
*A-31. TERESA WRIGHT
A-32. BARBARA HERSHEY
*A-33. DEBRA WINGER
*A-34. EILEEN HERLIE
*A-35. THOMAS MITCHELL
*A-36. SUSANNAH YORK
*A-37. EWAN McGREGOR
*A-38. CEDRIC HARDWICKE
*A-39. MAUREEN O’HARA
*A-40. CHUCK CONNORS
A-41. GLORIA GRAHAME
*A-42. LINDSAY WAGNER
*A-43. DAN AYKROYD
*A-44. JOANNE WOODWARD
*A-45. KRISTEN STEWART
*A-46. TYRONE POWER
*A-47. RICHARD BEYMER
*A-48. SHIRLEY KNIGHT
*A-49. CHARLES DURNING
*A-50. CLAIRE BLOOM
*A-51. ROBERT YOUNG
*A-52. PAT HINGLE
*A-53. MARGARET WYCHERLY
*A-54. CHARLES BICKFORD
A-55. ANNA PAQUIN
*A-56. COLLEEN DEWHURST
*A-57. PAUL NEWMAN
*A-58. FRANCES FARMER
*A-59. ANTHONY HOPKINS
A-60. ANGELA LANSBURY
*A-61. MILDRED DUNNOCK
*A-62. ELLEN BARKIN
*A-63. DONALD SUTHERLAND
*A-64. CHER
*A-65. HENRY FONDA

LIST B: MOVIES

***B-1. GRAND HOTEL
**B-2. THE HOURS
*B-3. GUNGA DIN
*B-4. I’LL CRY TOMORROW
*B-5. CAST AWAY
*B-6. CITY FOR CONQUEST
*B-7. BORN YESTERDAY
**B-8. A FAREWELL TO ARMS
*B-9. THE BIRDS
**B-10. THE BUCCANEER
**B-11. A TIME TO KILL
*B-12. ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD
*B-13. WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY
***B-14. CRIMES OF THE HEART
*B-15. BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN
**B-16. THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY
**B-17. SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE
*B-18. THE GAY DIVORCEE
*B-19. BRINGING UP BABY
*B-20. THE CRUCIBLE
B-21. BROADCAST NEWS
**B-22. VALLEY OF THE DOLLS
*B-23. MARY POPPINS
*B-24. WHITE DOG
*B-25. PARENTHOOD
**B-26. STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE
*B-27. THE BIG SHORT
**B-28. A PLACE IN THE SUN
***B-29. STEEL MAGNOLIAS
**B-30. PRINCESS O'ROURKE
*B-31. 12 ANGRY MEN
**B-32. THE SEVEN PERCENT SOLUTION
**B-33. AMERICANIZATION OF EMILY
*B-34. ROLLERBALL

B-35. “I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here, everything is soft and smooth.”

*B-36. THE WAY WE WERE
**B-37. PORTRAIT OF JENNIE
*B-38. THE RESCUERS
*B-39. LAST ACTION HERO
*B-40. THE 39 STEPS

TANGREDI:
Actor in List A plays the son, daughter or parent of an Oscar-winning actor, who’s also in a movie in List B.

MATCHES

A-40. CHUCK CONNORS was the son of Burl Ives (B-24. WHITE DOG) The Big Country
A-43. DAN AYKROYD was the son of Jessica Tandy (B-9. THE BIRDS) in Driving Miss Daisy
A-8. NICK NOLTE was the son of James Coburn (B-33. AMERICANIZATION OF EMILY) in Affliction
A-19. MARK WAHLBERG was the son of Melissa Leo (B-27. THE BIG SHORT) in The Fighter
A-4. JAMES DEAN was the son of Jo Van Fleet (B-4. I’LL CRY TOMORROW) in East of Eden
A-37. EWAN McGREGOR was the son of Christopher Plummer (B-12. ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD) in Beginners
A-59. ANTHONY HOPKINS was the son of Katharine Hepburn (B-19. BRINGING UP BABY) in The Lion in Winter
A-16. NIGEL HAVERS was the son of Peggy Ashcroft (B-40. THE 39 STEPS) in A Passage to India
A-46. TYRONE POWER was son of Alice Brady (B-18. THE GAY DIVORCEE) in In Old Chicago
A-10. JOHN HEARD was the son of Geraldine Page (B-38. THE RESCUERS) in A Trip to Bountiful
A-22. JACKIE COOPER was the son of Wallace Beery (B-1. GRAND HOTEL) in The Champ
A-1. CARY GRANT was the son of Ethel Barrymore (B-37. PORTRAIT OF JENNIE) in None But the Lonely Heart
A-26. MAUREEN O'SULLIVAN was the mother of Dianne Weist (B-25. PARENTHOOD) in Hannah and Her Sisters
A-18. VICTOR JORY was the father of Patty Duke (B-22. VALLEY OF THE DOLLS) in The Miracle Worker
A-27. LEVON HELM was the father of Sissy Spacek (B-14. CRIMES OF THE HEART) in Coal Miner's Daughter.
A-62. ELLEN BARKIN was the daughter of Robert Duvall (B-32. THE SEVEN PERCENT SOLUTION) in Tender Mercies
A-34. EILEEN HERLIE was the mother of Laurence Olivier (B-32. THE SEVEN PERCENT SOLUTION) in Hamlet
A-5. NORMA SHEARER was the daughter of Lionel Barrymore (B-1. GRAND HOTEL) in A Free Soul
A-56. COLLEEN DEWHURST was the mother of Diane Keaton (B-14. CRIMES OF THE HEART) in Annie Hall
A-20. ANNE REVERE was the mother of Jennifer Jones (B-37. PORTRAIT OF JENNIE) in Song of Bernadette
A-2. RALPH RICHARDSON was the father of Olivia deHaviland (B-30. PRINCESS O'ROURKE) in The Heiress
A-54. CHARLES BICKFORD was the father of Jane Wyman (B-30 PRINCESS O'ROURKE) in Johnny Belinda
A-47. RICHARD BEYMER was the son of Shelley Winters (B-28. A PLACE IN THE SUN) in The Diary of Anne Frank
A-61. MILDRED DUNNOCK was the mother of Liz Taylor (B-28. A PLACE IN THE SUN) in Butterfield 8
A-33. DEBRA WINGER was the daughter of Shirley MacLaine (B-29. STEEL MAGNOLIAS) in Terms of Endearment
A-52. PAT HINGLE was the father of Sally Field (B-29. STEEL MAGNOLIAS) in Norma Rae
A-64. CHER was the daughter of Olympia Dukakis (B-29. STEEL MAGNOLIAS) in Moonstruck
A-50. CLAIRE BLOOM was the mother of Colin Firth (B-17. SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE) in The King's Speech
A-24. JOHN DEREK, son of Broderick Crawford (B-7. BORN YESTERDAY) in All the King's Men
A-15. AMANDA SEYFRIED, daughter of Anne Hathaway (B-15. BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN) in Les Miserables.
A-23. AL PACINO, son of Marlon Brando (B-26. STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE) in The Godfather
A-35. THOMAS MITCHELL, father of Vivien Leigh (B-26. STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE) in Gone With the Wind
A-11. CARRIE FISHER was the daughter of Lee Grant (B-22. VALLEY OF THE DOLLS) in Shampoo
A-3. MARTIN SHEEN was the son of Jack Albertson (B-13. WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY) in The Subject Was Roses
A-53 MARGARET WYCHERLY was the mother of Gary Cooper (B-8. A FAREWELL TO ARMS) in Sergeant York
A-65. HENRY FONDA was the son of Jane Darwell (B-23. MARY POPPINS) in the Grapes of Wrath
A-31. TERESA WRIGHT was the daughter of Frederic March (B-10. THE BUCCANEER) in The Best Years of Our Lives
A-58. FRANCES FARMER was the daughter of Walter Brennan (B-10. THE BUCCANEER) in Come and Get It!
A-12. MARTHA SCOTT was the mother of Charlton Heston (B-16. THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY) in Ben-Hur
A-14. GLADYS COOPER was the mother of Rex Harrison (B-16. THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY) in My Fair Lady
A-25. KAY MEDFORD was the mother of Barbra Streisand (B-36. THE WAY WE WERE) in Funny Girl
A-48. SHIRLEY KNIGHT was the daughter of Ed Begley (B-31. 12 ANGRY MEN) in Sweet Bird of Youth
A-38. CEDRIC HARDWICKE was the father of Joan Fontaine (B-3. GUNGA DIN) in Suspicion
A-51. ROBERT YOUNG was the son of Helen Hayes (B-8. A FAREWELL TO ARMS) in The Sin of Madelon Claudet
A-39. MAUREEN O’HARA was the daughter of Donald Crisp (B-6. CITY FOR CONQUEST) in How Green Was My Valley
A-57. PAUL NEWMAN was the son of Melvyn Douglas (B-33. AMERICANIZATION OF EMILY) in Hud
A-42. LINDSAY WAGNER was the daughter of John Houseman (B-34. ROLLERBALL) in The Paper Chase
A-30. ANN BLYTH was the daughter of Joan Crawford (B-1. GRAND HOTEL) in Mildred Pierce.
A-44. JOANNE WOODWARD was the mother of Tom Hanks (B-5. CAST AWAY) in Philadelphia
A-21. ELLEN BURSTYN was the daughter of Art Carney (B-39. LAST ACTION HERO) in Harry and Tonto.
A-36. SUSANNAH YORK was the daughter of Paul Scofield (B-20. THE CRUCIBLE) in A Man for All Seasons
A-49. CHARLES DURNING was the father of Jessica Lange (B-14. CRIMES OF THE HEART) in Tootsie
A-29. DANIEL DAY LEWIS was the son of Brenda Fricker (B-11. A TIME TO KILL) in My Left Foot
A-45. KRISTEN STEWART was the daughter of Julianne Moore (B-2. THE HOURS) in Still Alice
A-17. MARGOT ROBBIE was the daughter of Allison Janney (B-2. THE HOURS) in I, Tonya
A-13. THORA BIRCH was the daughter of Kevin Spacey (B-11. A TIME TO KILL) in American Beauty
A-28. ARMIN MUELLER-STAHL was the father of Geoffrey Rush (B-17. SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE) in Shine

PARTIAL

A-63. DONALD SUTHERLAND was the father of Timothy Hutton in Ordinary People

Great! We're missing just two actors, one movie and nine matches.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

silverscreenselect

#82 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:00 pm

I think we mentioned this in passing but Anna Paquin played Holly Hunter's daughter in The Piano and Hunter is in Broadcast News.

Appa23

#83 Post by Appa23 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:27 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:A-28. In a 1997 television movie, he took on a role that had previously been played by Walter Abel and E.G. Marshall.

I also was thinking of Chucky (which was a "popular doll" in the movie though not in reality), and couldn't think of actors/actresses in superhero trilogy.

Let alone that might intersect in the way of the "Tancredi" (or whatever it is called).

Appa23

#84 Post by Appa23 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:30 pm

jarnon wrote:Updated consolidation…

Identify the 65 actors in List A and the 40 movies in List B. (Every other clue is a quotation.) Then, form 66 pairs, each consisting of one movie and one actor, according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself. The same basic Tangredi applies to all pairs, but some of them go one way and some of them go the other way. You’ll see.

*A-1. CARY GRANT
*A-2. RALPH RICHARDSON
*A-3. MARTIN SHEEN
*A-4. JAMES DEAN
*A-5. NORMA SHEARER

A-6. This actor appeared in the last film of a trilogy about a popular superhero and the first film in a continuing franchise about a popular doll.

A-7. “He knew what I was even before I did. The morning I left for college, he walked into my room and held out his hand and it was filled with money, a big sweaty wad of money, and he said, ‘Take this and I don't want you ever to come back.’ I grabbed him and hugged him and he turned around and walked out. I haven't seen him or talked to him since.”

*A-8. NICK NOLTE
A-9. WALTER HUSTON
*A-10. JOHN HEARD
*A-11. CARRIE FISHER
*A-12. MARTHA SCOTT
*A-13. THORA BIRCH
*A-14. GLADYS COOPER
*A-15. AMANDA SEYFRIED
*A-16. NIGEL HAVERS
*A-17. MARGOT ROBBIE
*A-18. VICTOR JORY
*A-19. MARK WAHLBERG
*A-20. ANNE REVERE
*A-21. ELLEN BURSTYN
*A-22. JACKIE COOPER
*A-23. AL PACINO
*A-24. JOHN DEREK
*A-25. KAY MEDFORD
*A-27. LEVON HELM
*A-29. DANIEL DAY LEWIS
*A-30. ANN BLYTH
*A-31. TERESA WRIGHT
A-32. BARBARA HERSHEY
*A-33. DEBRA WINGER
*A-34. EILEEN HERLIE
*A-35. THOMAS MITCHELL
*A-36. SUSANNAH YORK
*A-37. EWAN McGREGOR
*A-38. CEDRIC HARDWICKE
*A-39. MAUREEN O’HARA
*A-40. CHUCK CONNORS
A-41. GLORIA GRAHAME
*A-42. LINDSAY WAGNER
*A-43. DAN AYKROYD
*A-44. JOANNE WOODWARD
*A-45. KRISTEN STEWART
*A-46. TYRONE POWER
*A-47. RICHARD BEYMER
*A-48. SHIRLEY KNIGHT
*A-49. CHARLES DURNING
*A-50. CLAIRE BLOOM
*A-51. ROBERT YOUNG
*A-52. PAT HINGLE
*A-53. MARGARET WYCHERLY
*A-54. CHARLES BICKFORD
A-55. ANNA PAQUIN
*A-56. COLLEEN DEWHURST
*A-57. PAUL NEWMAN
*A-58. FRANCES FARMER
*A-59. ANTHONY HOPKINS
A-60. ANGELA LANSBURY
*A-61. MILDRED DUNNOCK
*A-62. ELLEN BARKIN
*A-63. DONALD SUTHERLAND
*A-64. CHER
*A-65. HENRY FONDA

***B-1. GRAND HOTEL
**B-2. THE HOURS
*B-3. GUNGA DIN
*B-4. I’LL CRY TOMORROW
*B-5. CAST AWAY
*B-6. CITY FOR CONQUEST
*B-7. BORN YESTERDAY
*B-9. THE BIRDS
**B-10. THE BUCCANEER
**B-11. A TIME TO KILL
*B-18. THE GAY DIVORCEE
*B-19. BRINGING UP BABY
*B-20. THE CRUCIBLE
B-21. BROADCAST NEWS
*B-23. MARY POPPINS
*B-24. WHITE DOG
*B-25. PARENTHOOD
*B-27. THE BIG SHORT
***B-29. STEEL MAGNOLIAS
*B-31. 12 ANGRY MEN
*B-34. ROLLERBALL

B-35. “I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here, everything is soft and smooth.”

*B-36. THE WAY WE WERE
*B-38. THE RESCUERS
*B-39. LAST ACTION HERO
*B-40. THE 39 STEPS

TANGREDI:
Actor in List A plays the son, daughter or parent of an Oscar-winning actor, who’s also in a movie in List B.

MATCHES

A-43. DAN AYKROYD was the son of Jessica Tandy (B-9. THE BIRDS) in Driving Miss Daisy
A-8. NICK NOLTE was the son of James Coburn (B-33. AMERICANIZATION OF EMILY) in Affliction
A-19. MARK WAHLBERG was the son of Melissa Leo (B-27. THE BIG SHORT) in The Fighter
A-4. JAMES DEAN was the son of Jo Van Fleet (B-4. I’LL CRY TOMORROW) in East of Eden
A-37. EWAN McGREGOR was the son of Christopher Plummer (B-12. ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD) in Beginners
A-59. ANTHONY HOPKINS was the son of Katharine Hepburn (B-19. BRINGING UP BABY) in The Lion in Winter
A-16. NIGEL HAVERS was the son of Peggy Ashcroft (B-40. THE 39 STEPS) in A Passage to India
A-46. TYRONE POWER was son of Alice Brady (B-18. THE GAY DIVORCEE) in In Old Chicago
A-10. JOHN HEARD was the son of Geraldine Page (B-38. THE RESCUERS) in A Trip to Bountiful
A-22. JACKIE COOPER was the son of Wallace Beery (B-1. GRAND HOTEL) in The Champ
A-1. CARY GRANT was the son of Ethel Barrymore (B-37. PORTRAIT OF JENNIE) in None But the Lonely Heart
A-26. MAUREEN O'SULLIVAN was the mother of Dianne Weist (B-25. PARENTHOOD) in Hannah and Her Sisters
A-18. VICTOR JORY was the father of Patty Duke (B-22. VALLEY OF THE DOLLS) in The Miracle Worker
A-27. LEVON HELM was the father of Sissy Spacek (B-14. CRIMES OF THE HEART) in Coal Miner's Daughter.
A-62. ELLEN BARKIN was the daughter of Robert Duvall (B-32. THE SEVEN PERCENT SOLUTION) in Tender Mercies
A-34. EILEEN HERLIE was the mother of Laurence Olivier (B-32. THE SEVEN PERCENT SOLUTION) in Hamlet
A-5. NORMA SHEARER was the daughter of Lionel Barrymore (B-1. GRAND HOTEL) in A Free Soul
A-56. COLLEEN DEWHURST was the mother of Diane Keaton (B-14. CRIMES OF THE HEART) in Annie Hall
A-20. ANNE REVERE was the mother of Jennifer Jones (B-37. PORTRAIT OF JENNIE) in Song of Bernadette
A-2. RALPH RICHARDSON was the father of Olivia deHaviland (B-30. PRINCESS O'ROURKE) in The Heiress
A-54. CHARLES BICKFORD was the father of Jane Wyman (B-30 PRINCESS O'ROURKE) in Johnny Belinda
A-47. RICHARD BEYMER was the son of Shelley Winters (B-28. A PLACE IN THE SUN) in The Diary of Anne Frank
A-61. MILDRED DUNNOCK was the mother of Liz Taylor (B-28. A PLACE IN THE SUN) in Butterfield 8
A-33. DEBRA WINGER was the daughter of Shirley MacLaine (B-29. STEEL MAGNOLIAS) in Terms of Endearment
A-52. PAT HINGLE was the father of Sally Field (B-29. STEEL MAGNOLIAS) in Norma Rae
A-64. CHER was the daughter of Olympia Dukakis (B-29. STEEL MAGNOLIAS) in Moonstruck
A-50. CLAIRE BLOOM was the mother of Colin Firth (B-17. SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE) in The King's Speech
A-24. JOHN DEREK, son of Broderick Crawford (B-7. BORN YESTERDAY) in All the King's Men
A-15. AMANDA SEYFRIED, daughter of Anne Hathaway (B-15. BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN) in Les Miserables.
A-23. AL PACINO, son of Marlon Brando (B-26. STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE) in The Godfather
A-35. THOMAS MITCHELL, father of Vivien Leigh (B-26. STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE) in Gone With the Wind
A-11. CARRIE FISHER was the daughter of Lee Grant (B-22. VALLEY OF THE DOLLS) in Shampoo
A-3. MARTIN SHEEN was the son of Jack Albertson (B-13. WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY) in The Subject Was Roses
A-53 MARGARET WYCHERLY was the mother of Gary Cooper (B-8. A FAREWELL TO ARMS) in Sergeant York
A-65. HENRY FONDA was the son of Jane Darwell (B-23. MARY POPPINS) in the Grapes of Wrath
A-31. TERESA WRIGHT was the daughter of Frederic March (B-10. THE BUCCANEER) in The Best Years of Our Lives
A-58. FRANCES FARMER was the daughter of Walter Brennan (B-10. THE BUCCANEER) in Come and Get It!
A-12. MARTHA SCOTT was the mother of Charlton Heston (B-16. THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY) in Ben-Hur
A-14. GLADYS COOPER was the mother of Rex Harrison (B-16. THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY) in My Fair Lady
A-25. KAY MEDFORD was the mother of Barbra Streisand (B-36. THE WAY WE WERE) in Funny Girl
A-48. SHIRLEY KNIGHT was the daughter of Ed Begley (B-31. 12 ANGRY MEN) in Sweet Bird of Youth
A-38. CEDRIC HARDWICKE was the father of Joan Fontaine (B-3. GUNGA DIN) in Suspicion
A-51. ROBERT YOUNG was the son of Helen Hayes (B-8. A FAREWELL TO ARMS) in The Sin of Madelon Claudet
A-39. MAUREEN O’HARA was the daughter of Donald Crisp (B-6. CITY FOR CONQUEST) in How Green Was My Valley
A-57. PAUL NEWMAN was the son of Melvyn Douglas (B-33. AMERICANIZATION OF EMILY) in Hud
A-42. LINDSAY WAGNER was the daughter of John Houseman (B-34. ROLLERBALL) in The Paper Chase
A-30. ANN BLYTH was the daughter of Joan Crawford (B-1. GRAND HOTEL) in Mildred Pierce.
A-44. JOANNE WOODWARD was the mother of Tom Hanks (B-5. CAST AWAY) in Philadelphia
A-21. ELLEN BURSTYN was the daughter of Art Carney (B-39. LAST ACTION HERO) in Harry and Tonto.
A-36. SUSANNAH YORK was the daughter of Paul Scofield (B-20. THE CRUCIBLE) in A Man for All Seasons
A-49. CHARLES DURNING was the father of Jessica Lange (B-14. CRIMES OF THE HEART) in Tootsie
A-29. DANIEL DAY LEWIS was the son of Brenda Fricker (B-11. A TIME TO KILL) in My Left Foot
A-45. KRISTEN STEWART was the daughter of Julianne Moore (B-2. THE HOURS) in Still Alice
A-17. MARGOT ROBBIE was the daughter of Allison Janney (B-2. THE HOURS) in I, Tonya
A-13. THORA BIRCH was the daughter of Kevin Spacey (B-11. A TIME TO KILL) in American Beauty
A-28. ARMIN MUELLER-STAHL was the father of Geoffrey Rush (B-17. SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE) in Shine

PARTIAL

A-7 is Greg Kinnear in "As Good as It Gets".

mellytu74

#85 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:36 pm

Appa23 wrote:
jarnon wrote:Updated consolidation…

*A-1. CARY GRANT
*A-2. RALPH RICHARDSON
*A-3. MARTIN SHEEN
*A-4. JAMES DEAN
*A-5. NORMA SHEARER

*A-8. NICK NOLTE
A-9. WALTER HUSTON
*A-10. JOHN HEARD
*A-11. CARRIE FISHER
*A-12. MARTHA SCOTT
*A-13. THORA BIRCH
*A-14. GLADYS COOPER
*A-15. AMANDA SEYFRIED
*A-16. NIGEL HAVERS
*A-17. MARGOT ROBBIE
*A-18. VICTOR JORY
*A-19. MARK WAHLBERG
*A-20. ANNE REVERE
*A-21. ELLEN BURSTYN
*A-22. JACKIE COOPER
*A-23. AL PACINO
*A-24. JOHN DEREK
*A-25. KAY MEDFORD
*A-27. LEVON HELM
*A-29. DANIEL DAY LEWIS
*A-30. ANN BLYTH
*A-31. TERESA WRIGHT
A-32. BARBARA HERSHEY
*A-33. DEBRA WINGER
*A-34. EILEEN HERLIE
*A-35. THOMAS MITCHELL
*A-36. SUSANNAH YORK
*A-37. EWAN McGREGOR
*A-38. CEDRIC HARDWICKE
*A-39. MAUREEN O’HARA
*A-40. CHUCK CONNORS
A-41. GLORIA GRAHAME
*A-42. LINDSAY WAGNER
*A-43. DAN AYKROYD
*A-44. JOANNE WOODWARD
*A-45. KRISTEN STEWART
*A-46. TYRONE POWER
*A-47. RICHARD BEYMER
*A-48. SHIRLEY KNIGHT
*A-49. CHARLES DURNING
*A-50. CLAIRE BLOOM
*A-51. ROBERT YOUNG
*A-52. PAT HINGLE
*A-53. MARGARET WYCHERLY
*A-54. CHARLES BICKFORD
A-55. ANNA PAQUIN
*A-56. COLLEEN DEWHURST
*A-57. PAUL NEWMAN
*A-58. FRANCES FARMER
*A-59. ANTHONY HOPKINS
A-60. ANGELA LANSBURY
*A-61. MILDRED DUNNOCK
*A-62. ELLEN BARKIN
*A-63. DONALD SUTHERLAND
*A-64. CHER
*A-65. HENRY FONDA

***B-1. GRAND HOTEL
**B-2. THE HOURS
*B-3. GUNGA DIN
*B-4. I’LL CRY TOMORROW
*B-5. CAST AWAY
*B-6. CITY FOR CONQUEST
*B-7. BORN YESTERDAY
*B-9. THE BIRDS
**B-10. THE BUCCANEER
**B-11. A TIME TO KILL
*B-18. THE GAY DIVORCEE
*B-19. BRINGING UP BABY
*B-20. THE CRUCIBLE
B-21. BROADCAST NEWS
*B-23. MARY POPPINS
*B-24. WHITE DOG
*B-25. PARENTHOOD
*B-27. THE BIG SHORT
***B-29. STEEL MAGNOLIAS
*B-31. 12 ANGRY MEN
*B-34. ROLLERBALL

*B-36. THE WAY WE WERE
*B-38. THE RESCUERS
*B-39. LAST ACTION HERO
*B-40. THE 39 STEPS

TANGREDI:

MATCHES

PARTIAL

A-7 is Greg Kinnear in "As Good as It Gets".
And that completes Alan Arkin in LIttle Miss Sunshine.

Also, I just realized that Gloria Grahame was Mary Steenburgen's mom in Melvin and Howard. Steenburgen was in Parenthood.

silverscreenselect

#86 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:46 pm

The "popular doll" is GI Joe. This threw me because there have only been two GI Joe movies so far (with a third one in the planning stages). But Joseph Gordon-Levitt was in it and the last Christian Bale Batman movie, and he is Abe Lincoln's (Daniel Day-Lewis) son in Lincoln. And Lewis was in The Crucible.

Appa23

#87 Post by Appa23 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:47 pm

mellytu74 wrote:A-51. ROBERT YOUNG was the son of Helen Hayes (B-8. A FAREWELL TO ARMS) in The Sin of Madelon Claudet

A question ....

A Natalie Portman movie for Barbara Hershey?
Yes. The answer to B-35 is "Attack of the Clones".

Appa23

#88 Post by Appa23 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:54 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:The "popular doll" is GI Joe. This threw me because there have only been two GI Joe movies so far (with a third one in the planning stages). But Joseph Gordon-Levitt was in it and the last Christian Bale Batman movie, and he is Abe Lincoln's (Daniel Day-Lewis) son in Lincoln. And Lewis was in The Crucible.
This is the answer, though I will note that the movies are not about a single doll/ person named GI Joe, but rather an organization by that name. I also think that the name "GI Joe" went from being a singular doll to reflecting an entire action team (multiple dolls).

jarnon

#89 Post by jarnon » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:04 pm

PARTIAL

Timothy Hutton is in B-12. ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

silverscreenselect

#90 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:16 am

Walter Huston was Jimmy Cagney's father in Yankee Doodle Dandy, and Cagney appeared in City for Conquest.

jarnon

#91 Post by jarnon » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:36 pm

This puzzle’s been two matches away from completion since Friday. Maybe updating the consolidation will inspire somebody. The last two actors are Angela Lansbury and the mysterious actor who’s used twice.

*A-1. CARY GRANT
*A-2. RALPH RICHARDSON
*A-3. MARTIN SHEEN
*A-4. JAMES DEAN
*A-5. NORMA SHEARER
*A-6. JOSEPH GORDON-LEVITT
*A-7. GREG KINNEAR
*A-8. NICK NOLTE
*A-9. WALTER HUSTON
*A-10. JOHN HEARD
*A-11. CARRIE FISHER
*A-12. MARTHA SCOTT
*A-13. THORA BIRCH
*A-14. GLADYS COOPER
*A-15. AMANDA SEYFRIED
*A-16. NIGEL HAVERS
*A-17. MARGOT ROBBIE
*A-18. VICTOR JORY
*A-19. MARK WAHLBERG
*A-20. ANNE REVERE
*A-21. ELLEN BURSTYN
*A-22. JACKIE COOPER
*A-23. AL PACINO
*A-24. JOHN DEREK
*A-25. KAY MEDFORD
*A-27. LEVON HELM
*A-29. DANIEL DAY LEWIS
*A-30. ANN BLYTH
*A-31. TERESA WRIGHT
*A-32. BARBARA HERSHEY
*A-33. DEBRA WINGER
*A-34. EILEEN HERLIE
*A-35. THOMAS MITCHELL
*A-36. SUSANNAH YORK
*A-37. EWAN McGREGOR
*A-38. CEDRIC HARDWICKE
*A-39. MAUREEN O’HARA
*A-40. CHUCK CONNORS
*A-41. GLORIA GRAHAME
*A-42. LINDSAY WAGNER
*A-43. DAN AYKROYD
*A-44. JOANNE WOODWARD
*A-45. KRISTEN STEWART
*A-46. TYRONE POWER
*A-47. RICHARD BEYMER
*A-48. SHIRLEY KNIGHT
*A-49. CHARLES DURNING
*A-50. CLAIRE BLOOM
*A-51. ROBERT YOUNG
*A-52. PAT HINGLE
*A-53. MARGARET WYCHERLY
*A-54. CHARLES BICKFORD
*A-55. ANNA PAQUIN
*A-56. COLLEEN DEWHURST
*A-57. PAUL NEWMAN
*A-58. FRANCES FARMER
*A-59. ANTHONY HOPKINS
A-60. ANGELA LANSBURY
*A-61. MILDRED DUNNOCK
*A-62. ELLEN BARKIN
*A-63. DONALD SUTHERLAND
*A-64. CHER
*A-65. HENRY FONDA

***B-1. GRAND HOTEL
**B-2. THE HOURS
*B-3. GUNGA DIN
*B-4. I’LL CRY TOMORROW
*B-5. CAST AWAY
**B-6. CITY FOR CONQUEST
*B-7. BORN YESTERDAY
*B-9. THE BIRDS
**B-10. THE BUCCANEER
**B-11. A TIME TO KILL
**B-12. ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD
*B-18. THE GAY DIVORCEE
*B-19. BRINGING UP BABY
**B-20. THE CRUCIBLE
*B-21. BROADCAST NEWS
*B-23. MARY POPPINS
*B-24. WHITE DOG
**B-25. PARENTHOOD
*B-27. THE BIG SHORT
***B-29. STEEL MAGNOLIAS
*B-31. 12 ANGRY MEN
***B-32. THE SEVEN PERCENT SOLUTION
*B-34. ROLLERBALL
*B-35. STAR WARS: ATTACK OF THE CLONES
*B-36. THE WAY WE WERE
*B-38. THE RESCUERS
*B-39. LAST ACTION HERO
*B-40. THE 39 STEPS

TANGREDI:

MATCHES

A-55. ANNA PAQUIN was the daughter of Holly Hunter (B-21. BROADCAST NEWS) in The Piano
A-7. GREG KINNEAR was the son of Alan Arkin (B-32. THE SEVEN PERCENT SOLUTION) in Little Miss Sunshine
A-41. GLORIA GRAHAME was the mother of Mary Steenburgen (B-25. PARENTHOOD) in Melvin and Howard
A-6. JOSEPH GORDON-LEVITT was the son of Daniel Day-Lewis (B-20. THE CRUCIBLE) in Lincoln
A-32. BARBARA HERSHEY was the mother of Natalie Portman (B-35. STAR WARS: ATTACK OF THE CLONES) in Black Swan
A-63. DONALD SUTHERLAND was the father of Timothy Hutton (B-12. ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD) in Ordinary People
A-9. WALTER HUSTON was the father of James Cagney (B-6. CITY FOR CONQUEST) in Yankee Doodle Dandy
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Estonut
Evil Genius

#92 Post by Estonut » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:59 pm

A-60. ANGELA LANSBURY played the daughter of Anne Revere (B-28. A PLACE IN THE SUN) in National Velvet
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

mellytu74

#93 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:10 pm

With Angela Lansbury/Anne Revere giving us the third use of A Place in the Sun, we have all five three-use movies and 15 of the used twice.

That means the actor in B has to come from these movies:

*B-3. GUNGA DIN
*B-4. I’LL CRY TOMORROW
*B-5. CAST AWAY
*B-7. BORN YESTERDAY
*B-9. THE BIRDS
*B-18. THE GAY DIVORCEE
*B-19. BRINGING UP BABY
*B-21. BROADCAST NEWS
*B-23. MARY POPPINS
*B-24. WHITE DOG
*B-27. THE BIG SHORT
*B-31. 12 ANGRY MEN
*B-34. ROLLERBALL
*B-36. THE WAY WE WERE
*B-38. THE RESCUERS
*B-39. LAST ACTION HERO
*B-40. THE 39 STEPS

mellytu74

#94 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:18 pm

mellytu74 wrote:Sixteen movies will be used twice and five movies will be used three times.

With Angela Lansbury/Anne Revere giving us the third use of A Place in the Sun, we have all five three-use movies and 15 of the used twice.

That means the actor in B has to come from these movies:

*B-3. GUNGA DIN
*B-4. I’LL CRY TOMORROW
*B-5. CAST AWAY
*B-7. BORN YESTERDAY
*B-9. THE BIRDS
*B-18. THE GAY DIVORCEE
*B-19. BRINGING UP BABY
*B-21. BROADCAST NEWS
*B-23. MARY POPPINS
*B-24. WHITE DOG
*B-27. THE BIG SHORT
*B-31. 12 ANGRY MEN
*B-34. ROLLERBALL
*B-36. THE WAY WE WERE
*B-38. THE RESCUERS
*B-39. LAST ACTION HERO
*B-40. THE 39 STEPS
AND BINGO!!

A-48. SHIRLEY KNIGHT was the mother of Helen Hunt (B-5. CAST AWAY) in As Good As It Gets

And THAT wraps it up!!

Thank you, Frank, for another terrific game.

silverscreenselect

#95 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:31 am

Thanks for the puzzle, Frank.

franktangredi

#96 Post by franktangredi » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:18 am

Excellent!